• Closed • A Lesson in Alchemy

A satellite of the prestigious Viden Academy, this collaborative effort has truly been successful on Scalvoris and many great inventions and discoveries are made on a regular basis!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: A Lesson in Alchemy

When Ari’sora told him that she was more likely to try and harvest a plant than hunt anything, the Mortalborn inclined his head slightly. That was reasonable in his opinion. He did occasionally venture into the wilderness in order to slay certain creatures, but he was not an actual hunter either – he was and had always been a swordsman first and foremost. He did not track creatures, he did not analyze their behaviour, and he did not set up traps; and when such turned out to be necessary after all, he just hired someone.

Ari’sora had another question for him though, a question that took him a little by surprise, to be honest. He had not expected a native of Scalvoris to ask him, a man that was only visiting for a few trials in order to hold a couple of guest lectures, if there were any plants on the island that made good reagents. But then again, Ari’sora was not an alchemist, at least not yet. She had likely never considered the matter in more depth before.

While he was hardly an expert when it came to the local flora, there were some things that he knew that she might find helpful (he had conducted a bit of research before he had arrived on Scalvoris), and thus he spoke, in a calm tone of voice that betrayed little of the fact that he had considered her question to be somewhat surprising, “There is Winter’s Breath, for example, a plant that is a natural antiseptic. Sweetwine Vine absorbs flavor from liquids and transfers it to other kinds of food. Almost every plant in Scalvoris seems to have some sort of use in alchemy or medicine, in fact.”

Both plants were rather common (the rarer and more mysterious aspects of the local flora still escaped him; as the announcement that he was to teach in Scalvoris had come on short notice, he had not been able to familiarize himself with everything that the island had to offer), but hopefully, she would find them to be of some interest regardless.

“Furthermore, you may find books in the library here in town that give you an overview of the local flora and its use in alchemy”, he remarked and smiled lightly, half-expecting the inquisitive young woman to rush to the library right after their lesson had ended in order to absorb every single source of information that she could find.

“You’re welcome”, he replied when she thanked him for his patience and hesitated for just a moment before he added, “Curiosity is an important trait for an alchemist to have, Ari’sora, and for that reason I hope that you will never stop asking questions, no matter what people say. As for another meeting – I will likely not be able to visit Scalvoris next cycle, but I do plan on holding more guest lectures here in the future. And if there is something especially important, you can send a letter to me – or visit Viden”, he added.

He did not offer to exchange letters with everybody that he taught (such would only lead to him being overwhelmed due to the sheer number of students). There was something about Ari’sora though, something that did not leave him entirely unaffected. The young woman who had never practiced alchemy before had managed to impress him, and he could see her going far if she only continued like that.

It seemed as if their time together was about to come to an end though, so, unless Ari’sora could think of another question after all, he would give her the notes that he had made for her and exchange a few more words with her before they would part ways, for the time being.
word count: 634

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Rei'sari
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 451
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

102nd Ashan, 720

Ari'sora paid close attention to Professor Thetys as he spoke of Winter's Breath and Sweetwine Vine. She had heard of Winter's Breath, and she had seen a picture of it once, so she had a vague idea of what it looked like. But the book she had seen it in was a child's book of local flora and fauna, so aside from the name, she had known nothing about it until now. Learning that it was a natural antiseptic made her wonder if it might be used to create something with a healing effect using alchemy. It was certainly worth looking into.

Likewise, she had heard of Sweetwine Vine before as well. And given that she lived in the Sweetwine Woods, she had seen it many times in the past. But she had had no idea that it could be used to absorb flavor from liquids and transfer it to other kinds of food. Hearing that it could made her wonder if it was used in cooking as well as in alchemy. Using it to absorb the flavor of say, a fruit juice and transferring it into a pastry of some kind. She also wondered what an ability like that could be used to create in alchemy. The possibilities seemed endless, and Ari'sora was fascinated by the prospect of learning them all.

"I've heard of both of those, but I never new what they could be used for." she told the professor softly.

When he mentioned books in the library that could tell her more about the local plants and how they could be used in alchemy, she smiled.

"I know where I'm going after this, then." she said happily.

The prospect of learning more about a subject was so appealing that she wanted to run all the way to the library so she could begin immediately. Or better yet fly because she could fly much faster and longer than she could run. Flying to the library would be much faster than running would be.

"I hope to be able to attend your guest lectures when you do come back, then. And thank you for letting me write you if I need to."

Ari'sora promised herself that she wouldn't take advantage of the fact that Professor Thetys had given her permission to write him if needed. Given what she had seen of her own professors, it didn't seem like something she should take lightly. But it was nice to have that option if she needed it. Visiting Viden was also an interesting prospect. She wasn't sure when she would be able to since she would either need to bring her children with her, or trust that Mi'zuri would look after them for a prolonged period, and she wasn't sure that she could do that. But Viden was in northern Idalos, so it seemed likely that the cost of golden salamander hide would be cheaper there, and more importantly, the chance to see Professor Thetys again and take some of his classes was a very appealing reason to make the trip.

When the professor gave he the notes he had written for her, she thanked him again. Then she made her way to the library so she could research the local flora and their uses in alchemy.

word count: 563
Rei'sari was formerly Ari'sora, but after getting a fresh start in life and a new appearance from Vega, she changed her name to Rei'sari.
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Doran

Experience: 15 No magic xp

Knowledge:

Alchemy x6
Chemistry x4
Discipline x2
Linguistics x1
Teaching x3

Ari'sora: I taught her alchemy

Renown: none

Skill Usage: Appropriate to level.

Loot/Losses: none

Injuries/Conditions: none

Consequences: none
Ari'sora

Experience: 15 no magic xp

Knowledge:

Alchemy: alchemists transfer properties from one item to another and unlock the hidden potential of things so that they become more than the sum of their parts
Alchemy: more than one property can be transferred to the same item but the number of properties that you can transfer depends on a certain factors such as the skill of the alchemist in question, the type of item that you want to create and the reagents that you use
Alchemy: not all reagents are compatible with each other
Alchemy: a base is necessary; this can be a liquid for a potion, a more viscous substance to make paint from, something to submerge an item in, etc.
Alchemy: a primer is sometimes necessary for the alchemical agent to work; they prepare the item being imbued to receive the reagent
Alchemy: when imbuing more than one property into an item, binders ensure that the reagents don’t negate each other
Alchemy: adding a trigger allows you to turn the effect that you are imbuing into an item on and off
Alchemy: accelerators speed up the alchemical reaction
Alchemy: metabolizers render the effect more powerful
Alchemy: sealants may be necessary if you imbue an item with several different effects or if you add a trigger
Alchemy: if two or more reagents that aren't compatible are used without adding a binder, potential warning signs include an unusual reaction such as a smell, a change in color, fumes, or in the case of a potion, the potion will start to bubble; sometimes there will be no warning signs, but the item you made won't work properly
Alchemy: you can only imbue what is already in the reagent; you cannot use a reagent that has heat properties to make something or someone resistant to cold, you can only use it to imbue heat related effects such as heat resistance
Chemistry: the identification and categorization of acids and bases are aspects of chemistry
Chemistry: phosphorescence is an aspect of chemistry
Linguistics: language is about more than just mere words; it reveals a lot about the culture of its speakers and their approach to life
Linguistics: people tend to be friendlier and more inclined to give you a chance if you talk to them in their own language

Non Skill Knowledges

Language: Ith’ession
Ith’ession: spoken in Etzos

Doran: is a very good professor
Doran: doesn't mind answering questions no matter how many are asked

Renown: 5

Skill Usage: Appropriate to level

Loot/Losses: A paperweight and Doran's notes for Ari'sora.

Injuries/Conditions: none

Consequences: none

Comments: I decided to bookmark this lesson story, as I found it so much clearer and more informative than the alchemy write-up itself! I'll definitely be referring back to it when/if I get one of my pcs into alchemy.

Doran was very thorough in this lesson, but I had no idea that simple wards were available at novice level of alchemy! I suppose the simple ones make sense, though. Doran is a very good teacher, I learned a lot just by reading his explanations to Ari'sora.

Ari'sora is an equally good student as well. I enjoyed that you referred to aspects of her background that explain her current behavior. She's certainly got some very good questions in this thread, as I wouldn't have learned half as much if she wasn't so thorough in her inquisitiveness. I'm glad to have read this thread, you both did very well writing here.

Great writing and enjoy the rewards!

If you have any concerns about this review, please PM me about them.
word count: 655
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “University of Scalvoris (Viden Academy)”