[Skill] Research

It's a bit weird - would welcome feedback.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

User avatar
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Posts: 4813
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:12 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

[Skill] Research

Name: Research
Image
Research is, at its core, the finding of information. That is, however, somewhat simplistic. It is the skill of finding the piece of information you were looking for - or of focusing your search on specific topic(s). The skill of research, on Standing Trials, has two aspects to it.

Research Techniques
The techniques of researching information. There are a number of ways of researching information and this skill covers them all. The most common methods of research include:
Library Research: includes, but is not limited to; understanding library indexing systems, identifying validity of information, cross-referencing, cross-checking and so on. So, the individual who researches theories of psychology in the library is using this technique.

Empirical Research: includes, but is not limited to: observations 'in the real world' / 'in the field'. This might be someone - also studying psychology - who observes behaviour in groups, or watches non-verbal communication.

Experimental Research: includes, but is not limited to: conducting experiments / practical tests to find out information. This may be the person who (as a student of psychology) wants to find out if people perform a well-known task better in familiar or unfamiliar surroundings and so conducts an experiment to find out.

It must be remembered - research is the skill of finding out information. Therefore, how it is done can (and does) vary.

Specialist Study
As people develop in their knowledge and understanding, they may pursue more and more specialist study. This skill allows, at the higher levels, players to develop areas of specialist study. Becoming an "expert in the field" brings kudos with it and allows nerdy bragging-rights.

Skill Levels
Novice: 0-25

Here a researcher is just beginning to realize that learning is a vexing endeavor, marred by false conclusions which throw them off track when it comes to finding the truth of matters. At the earliest levels of a novice, the researcher will often reach incorrect conclusions that lead them astray. They will suffer errors and setbacks that throw them off the trail.

At the higher levels of a novice, the researcher will have found some research techniques that keep them from following a false lead too far into error. Their conclusions will prove clipped and brief but generally well-founded enough. It's not until they reach competence, that they will begin to find traction in their search for knowledge.

Competent: 26-75
Competent researchers will have refined their earlier techniques, and are more often coming to conclusions that are sound. They will have devised a methodology for meticulous fact-checking and cross-referencing information to ascertain its veracity. The process of researching is still very time consuming, especially for the deeper and more buried facts and knowledge. They'll find benefit in having access to greater libraries, but will still have to do a lot of legwork in order to refine their information collections.

At this level, they will have perhaps begun to devise their own method of recording their findings. Here is where skill in writing and perhaps even teaching becomes increasingly useful and relevant. Having comparable skill levels of either or both skills can make their findings all the more convincing and easier to understand.

Expert: 76-150
At Expert, a researcher will have come a long way in their thirst for knowledge. Their cross-referencing and fact-checking skills are impeccable, and they will often be able to recall by sheer memory facts already taken on board and check their new findings or research materials in order to discern their academic value. The process of researching will have become far less time consuming, and only the rarest knowledge and facts still elude them, despite access to a quality library.

They will increase their ability to learn by practical observation. By observing an example of their area of specialization in research, they will be able to acquire knowledge just from the observation, which can then be checked against their increasingly acute memory of the facts they have learned well.

Master: 151-250
There's little in the way of academic knowledge or research that is beyond a Master's skill. Their research techniques are flawless, and they will have such a good memory that they can recall on demand almost any knowledge they've learned throughout their lives, and apply that to practical observations to see how their knowledge really stacks up.

With even a mediocre library, insights that are beyond those in the materials they research and the observations they make, can lead them to greater understanding. It seems that by sheer intuition that a master can come to the exact right conclusion about a field of study.


Specialist Knowledge Post-Master Level
Research is unique as a skill in that it affords a benefit once a PC achieves Mastery (151 exp and 33 knowledge). Once this level is reached, the PC may accrue "Specialist Knowledge" in research, which provides academic bragging rights and indicates the level of knowledge in a PC's specialist area. These knowledges still contribute to the grandmaster and capstone knowledge requirements, but also add to their specialty level.

Specialist knowledge requests must be formatted in the following way:
Research: (Specialism: Subject): Full knowledge description.

When the PC has 10 Specialism Knowledges in one specialism, they are a Specialist in that. This means that, for example, a PC may have Surgery as a skill. By researching amputation, for instance, they develop their specialist understanding in this.

In the request, the player should request, for example

Research: (Specialism: Surgery - Amputation): Case study history helps provide background.

When the PC has 10 knowledge in this specialism (Surgery - Amputation) they are a specialist. It doesn't make them better at performing amputations, as it denotes a theoretical understanding. However, it adds to academic credentials as an 'expert' in a field. Also - if an amputation is happening - someone with 40 knowledge specifically in it is more likely to be called - and / or to remember the odd case where "this" happened - and so it adds to the narrative for the PC. These knowledges still apply to the Research Skill only (and do not also count as surgery knowledge) - but they show that the PC is focusing their study. The knowledges per specialism are unique and specific to that specialism only, so the specialism can not be too broad.

This continues to accrue in the following way.

10 Knowledge = Specialist L1
20 Knowledge = Specialist L2
40 Knowledge = Specialist L3
Every 50 knowledge thereafter the PC gains a new Specialist level.

This applies equally to non-skills (eg: Immortal Studies, Arcane Theory, History) as skills as it indicates theoretical knowledge.
.
Credit: Faith & Rakvald
Last edited by Faith Augustin Champion on Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:58 am, edited 5 times in total. word count: 1110
Life, Death and the In-Between .
User avatar
Hart
Approved Character
Posts: 642
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:12 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 527
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 2

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Skill] Research

I like this.
Faith Augustin wrote:Research: (Specialism: Medicine - Amputation): Case study history helps provide background.
Was just interested whether you meant "Research: (Specialism: Surgery - Amputation): Case study history helps provide background", here. Because you were talking about Surgery as a skill. If you did mean Surgery, you used the Medicine example in a couple other places in the writeup as well. However, if you did mean Medicine, ignore me.

Though... as a general question, do you think the skill is needed for the Specialism? So could the Specialism just be "Specialism: (Amputation): Case study history helps provide background"?

As for the progression, because I like numbers to be... I dunno. I suggest

10 Knowledge = Specialist L1
25 Knowledge = Specialist L2
45 Knowledge = Specialist L3
Every 25 knowledge thereafter the PC gains a new Specialist level.

So that you need 10 knowledge for level 1, an additional 15 knowledge for level 2, an additional 20 knowledge for level 3, and then an additional 25 knowledge per level after 3.

Currently it's 10 knowledge for level 1, an additional 10 knowledge for level 2, an additional 20 knowledge for level 3, and then an additional 50 knowledge per level after 3.

But I might be asking for too little knowledge. My PCs haven't done much in academia so I don't know much about it.

You might want to add something about how the Specialist knowledge doesn't... accumulate across Specialties. For example, you need 10 knowledge to be a level 1 Specialist in Surgery, and 20 knowledge to be a level 2 Specialist in Surgery. But if, for instance, you have 10 knowledge in the Specialism of Medicine, and 10 knowledge in the Specialism of Surgery, that means you're Level 1 in two Specialties, not Level 2 altogether.

I really like the direction you've gone with this!
word count: 311
User avatar
Rakvald
Approved Character
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:17 pm
Race: Immortal
Profession: Degenerate Elite
Renown: 555
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Skill] Research

Maybe a section on practical observation, since different characters might as well have different ways of learning. I think this skill has the potential to be very big, but as it stands it sounds like a purely academic skill focused on book learning and study.

I can write a section if you like.

Also, I took the liberty of trying to describe the tiers.

Novice: 0-25

Here a researcher is just beginning to realize that learning is a vexing endeavor, marred by false conclusions which throw them off track when it comes to finding the truth of matters. At the earliest levels of a novice, the researcher will often reach incorrect conclusions that lead them astray. They will suffer errors and setbacks that throw them off the trail.

At the higher levels of a novice, the researcher will have found some research techniques that keep them from following a false lead too far into error. Their conclusions will prove clipped and brief but generally well-founded enough. It's not until they reach competence, that they will begin to find traction in their search for knowledge.

Competent: 26-75
Competent researchers will have refined their earlier techniques, and are more often coming to conclusions that are sound. They will have devised a methodology for meticulous fact-checking and cross-referencing information to ascertain its veracity. The process of researching is still very time consuming, especially for the deeper and more buried facts and knowledge. They'll find benefit in having access to greater libraries, but will still have to do a lot of legwork in order to refine their information collections.

At this level, they will have perhaps begun to devise their own method of recording their findings. Here is where skill in writing and perhaps even teaching becomes increasingly useful and relevant. Having comparable skill levels of either or both skills can make their findings all the more convincing and easier to understand.

Expert: 76-150
At Expert, a researcher will have come a long way in their thirst for knowledge. Their cross-referencing and fact-checking skills are impeccable, and they will often be able to recall by sheer memory facts already taken on board and check their new findings or research materials in order to discern their academic value. The process of researching will have become far less time consuming, and only the rarest knowledge and facts still elude them, despite access to a quality library.

They will increase their ability to learn by practical observation. By observing an example of their area of specialization in research, they will be able to acquire knowledge just from the observation, which can then be checked against their increasingly acute memory of the facts they have learned well.

Master: 151-250
There's little in the way of academic knowledge or research that is beyond a Master's skill. Their research techniques are flawless, and they will have such a good memory that they can recall on demand almost any knowledge they've learned throughout their lives, and apply that to practical observations to see how their knowledge really stacks up.

With even a mediocre library, insights that are beyond those in the materials they research and the observations they make, can lead them to greater understanding. It seems that by sheer intuition that a master can come to the exact right conclusion about a field of study.
word count: 569

Fleshbound Tome~
Arcane Apprentice
~
Commissions Welcome!
User avatar
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Posts: 6000
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:54 pm
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Re: [Skill] Research

Image

Here's an image for your consideration.
word count: 7
User avatar
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Posts: 4813
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:12 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: [Skill] Research

Hart wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:22 pm
Faith Augustin wrote:Research: (Specialism: Medicine - Amputation): Case study history helps provide background.
Was just interested whether you meant "Research: (Specialism: Surgery - Amputation): Case study history helps provide background", here. Because you were talking about Surgery as a skill. If you did mean Surgery, you used the Medicine example in a couple other places in the writeup as well. However, if you did mean Medicine, ignore me.

Though... as a general question, do you think the skill is needed for the Specialism? So could the Specialism just be "Specialism: (Amputation): Case study history helps provide background"?
Ooops. Meant Surgery there. And I thought about non-skill specialism, but I figured that we should have to put it under a particular skill. It helps with record keeping, etc. But - the skill could be Research itself. So for those specialisms which are non-skill specific (like - researching Ether, for example - it could be Specialism (Research- Ether).
As for the progression, because I like numbers to be... I dunno. I suggest

10 Knowledge = Specialist L1
25 Knowledge = Specialist L2
45 Knowledge = Specialist L3
Every 25 knowledge thereafter the PC gains a new Specialist level.

So that you need 10 knowledge for level 1, an additional 15 knowledge for level 2, an additional 20 knowledge for level 3, and then an additional 25 knowledge per level after 3.

Currently it's 10 knowledge for level 1, an additional 10 knowledge for level 2, an additional 20 knowledge for level 3, and then an additional 50 knowledge per level after 3.
Yup - I take your point. But... I like it the way it is suggested (lol - sorry! <3 ) - the numbers are easy (all in 10s) and thus easy to track. I'm happy with either, to be clear - but I think (I would) the way I've done it is simpler / more easy for counting / CS checking etc.

You might want to add something about how the Specialist knowledge doesn't... accumulate across Specialties. For example, you need 10 knowledge to be a level 1 Specialist in Surgery, and 20 knowledge to be a level 2 Specialist in Surgery. But if, for instance, you have 10 knowledge in the Specialism of Medicine, and 10 knowledge in the Specialism of Surgery, that means you're Level 1 in two Specialties, not Level 2 altogether.
Done!!
I really like the direction you've gone with this!
Thanks!
word count: 409
Life, Death and the In-Between .
User avatar
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Posts: 4813
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:12 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: [Skill] Research

Rakvald wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:28 am Maybe a section on practical observation, since different characters might as well have different ways of learning. I think this skill has the potential to be very big, but as it stands it sounds like a purely academic skill focused on book learning and study.

I can write a section if you like.
I've given it a go - have a look and see what you think? I'm happy to add anything!
Also, I took the liberty of trying to describe the tiers.

Novice: 0-25

Here a researcher is just beginning to realize that learning is a vexing endeavor, marred by false conclusions which throw them off track when it comes to finding the truth of matters. At the earliest levels of a novice, the researcher will often reach incorrect conclusions that lead them astray. They will suffer errors and setbacks that throw them off the trail.

At the higher levels of a novice, the researcher will have found some research techniques that keep them from following a false lead too far into error. Their conclusions will prove clipped and brief but generally well-founded enough. It's not until they reach competence, that they will begin to find traction in their search for knowledge.

Competent: 26-75
Competent researchers will have refined their earlier techniques, and are more often coming to conclusions that are sound. They will have devised a methodology for meticulous fact-checking and cross-referencing information to ascertain its veracity. The process of researching is still very time consuming, especially for the deeper and more buried facts and knowledge. They'll find benefit in having access to greater libraries, but will still have to do a lot of legwork in order to refine their information collections.

At this level, they will have perhaps begun to devise their own method of recording their findings. Here is where skill in writing and perhaps even teaching becomes increasingly useful and relevant. Having comparable skill levels of either or both skills can make their findings all the more convincing and easier to understand.

Expert: 76-150
At Expert, a researcher will have come a long way in their thirst for knowledge. Their cross-referencing and fact-checking skills are impeccable, and they will often be able to recall by sheer memory facts already taken on board and check their new findings or research materials in order to discern their academic value. The process of researching will have become far less time consuming, and only the rarest knowledge and facts still elude them, despite access to a quality library.

They will increase their ability to learn by practical observation. By observing an example of their area of specialization in research, they will be able to acquire knowledge just from the observation, which can then be checked against their increasingly acute memory of the facts they have learned well.

Master: 151-250
There's little in the way of academic knowledge or research that is beyond a Master's skill. Their research techniques are flawless, and they will have such a good memory that they can recall on demand almost any knowledge they've learned throughout their lives, and apply that to practical observations to see how their knowledge really stacks up.

With even a mediocre library, insights that are beyond those in the materials they research and the observations they make, can lead them to greater understanding. It seems that by sheer intuition that a master can come to the exact right conclusion about a field of study.
OMG I love you. I've cut and paste this and I'd like to make sure that credits are to both of us, since that's a big chunk of the write-up
word count: 632
Life, Death and the In-Between .
User avatar
Rakvald
Approved Character
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:17 pm
Race: Immortal
Profession: Degenerate Elite
Renown: 555
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Storybook
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Skill] Research

I love it! The section you added that is. Covers quite a lot of ground in relatively few words. A+
word count: 20

Fleshbound Tome~
Arcane Apprentice
~
Commissions Welcome!
User avatar
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Posts: 3608
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:43 am
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: [Skill] Research

I love this!

I especially like the idea of specialisms as that will give PCs an additional thing to strive for - and learning by practical observation.

I assume that converting your knowledges to "Research: (Specialism: XYZ)" would be a simple matter of contacting the person who reviewed your thread?
word count: 49

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
User avatar
Hart
Approved Character
Posts: 642
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:12 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 527
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 2

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Skill] Research

Faith wrote:When the PC has 10 Specialism Knowledges in one specialism, they are a Specialst in that.
Just wanted to note that Specialist is missing an "I" here, before it's moved to the wiki.

I love the concept of specializing, btw. Wish you could do it [or something like it] in more than just the Research skill!
word count: 59
User avatar
Faith Augustin Champion
Approved Character
Posts: 4813
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:12 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: 2250
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: [Skill] Research

Doran wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:32 pm I love this!

I especially like the idea of specialisms as that will give PCs an additional thing to strive for - and learning by practical observation.

I assume that converting your knowledges to "Research: (Specialism: XYZ)" would be a simple matter of contacting the person who reviewed your thread?
I'm glad you like it! I'm not sure what the conversion process would be - I guess that's up to the staff. It might be a "from this point on" kind of thing? I don't know.
word count: 97
Life, Death and the In-Between .
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “CtW - Wiki'd Archive”