Graded Throw a Bone

On her way to find someone interesting to write about, Yeva finds herself caught in an awfully unusual situation.

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Throw a Bone

86 Ashan 720

Yeva sat outside the Scholar's Nook with a cup of tea, waiting for the perfect moment. She would know it when she saw it - the type of character that demanded story. Maybe it would be a woman on her way to market, wrangling an escaped chicken back into its cage, or a bespectacled man with an arm of supposed treasure maps. Whatever form they came in, she would pounce, because it was not just a character that she needed, but an impetus.

After some time with no such luck - or maybe she simply didn't know what she was looking for - the woman decided to turn in the emptied cup inside and go looking. That was what the speaker had suggested, "When in need of inspiration, take a walk!" She had liked that advice, wanting to not only improve her writing, but storytelling as well. It was the reason she had taken the workshop in the first place. To write a story, more so, to make others smile or become inspired because of it... well, that was simply divine! She thought of the children at Luna's, and then the bedridden ill being treated by the Order. They all loved stories, the ability to be transformed and led into a new reality if only for a short time.

The workshop had only spurred her interest further. Mr. Novakovik had been a proper teacher, wise in his old age, but spry enough to keep the interest of complete strangers with words resounding in her mind even as she inhaled the fresh air breaks later. 'Writers say that you can find a story anywhere, but the greatest source of fiction is experience. The experience need not be your own - you may observe someone else' struggle and use it in your own work.'

That lead to the question... what kind of struggle? Was the baker's need for extra sugar as riveting as the soldier returned from war? How could she make it so? What was she looking for? Yeva turned down the street and then rounded another corner, a sliver more frustrated with every step, "How is it," she asked to no one in particular, "I can be allowed to heal people, but I can't even write a proper story?"

"Tell me about it," a voice answered to her left, "It's like - c'mon Idalos, throw me a bone already!"

Yeva chuckled at the unexpected comment, "Exactly! This island is so full of interest and now I can't find anything! I just need a little..." she turned to look at the speaker. Stepping back and looking down, she spotted a corgi dog wagging its stumpy tail, "-help?"

"Well why didn't you say so?" the dog walked up and licked her fingers and she recoiled in shock. No one else on the street seemed to notice, "C'mon, then! Let's go find your main character!"

He trotted past her and she followed, dumbstruck. What was in that tea?
Last edited by Yeva on Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 504
Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Throw a Bone

86 Ashan 720

"Uhhh..." Yeva swept the street with her eyes, "You're a dog."

"Astute observation!" his tongue wagged, perking his ears and craning his neck to look at her quite happily, "That's good - you should know your audience. What would the cats think?"

"A talking dog," Yeva clarified, rushing after the animal. She blinked, still dumbfounded, "H-how?"

"Now isn't that a story," he lacked the same facial expressions as a human, but she could almost feel his approval, "Well, it's a bit tragic... What's you're genre? That's important," his nose lowered as he smelled the ground and began to wander towards a shop front, huffing the scent of the city in quite bursts of sniffing, "Do you have a structure?"

"No?"

"No character, no structure?" he whined briefly and continued his nasal investigation, "Genre?" he repeated.

"Um..." Yeva held her things sheepishly, "I thought it might come to me. You know, inspiration?"

"A dangerous lie," the dog responded, lifting a leg while a woman in a green smock, patched from age swept. A stream of yellow began to flow from the animal and onto the shop steps, triggering the woman to shout and swat at the canine.

"Aye! Get your mutt under control! I'm trying to run a business here!"

"Oh!" Yeva jumped, "Sorry, I-"

The corgi barked, "RUDE!" When she brushed his butt with the bristles, sweeping him back to wards the street and where Yeva stood, he slung a furry of yippy curses, which, once again, no one seemed to understand but herself.

Yeva felt a bit of panic at the escalating situation, whistling and unsure the proper way to address a talking animal, "C'mon, doggy! C'mere!" Whistle. Whistle.

He huffed, indignant and ran back to the redhead, but not before shooting a growl back at the shopkeep, "I never... You know I used to be a renowned mage!"

"Really?" Yeva stepped quickly up the avenue, rounding down the road that lead to the beach, "Is that-"

He picked up his pace, his furry butt charging forward as he trotted in front of her, "No," he stopped to bark at some gulls that were fighting over scraps of fish and satisfied at their departure, panted as he meandered the shade of a restaurant veranda and sat down, "I'm afraid this form is the result of a vengeful ex.. or her husband. Details are a bit fuzzy."

Yeva laughed clearing her throat when he looked at her.

"What's so funny?"

She blushed, "Oh, um. Nothing. Sorry. You said your ex did this? Turned you into a dog?"

"Well she was a real bitch."

Yeva's mouth dropped, trying not to laugh, but when the little dog seemed to smile, she giggled, "You shouldn't say that," the medic half-heatedly reprimanded, lowering to sit beside the tired pup. But, if she was turned into an animal, maybe she wouldn't have been so polite about it either, "Why would she - er, they - do that? Did you...cross them?" Faldrun have no fury like a woman scorned. Yeva gasped, voice lowering to a conspiratorial whisper, "Did you cheat?" Could you cheat on someone who was already married?

"No, but she must of thought I did," he whined, "That's rich - she was the one with a husband! Maybe she thought she should quite literally put me in the dog house." the corgi sat on his rear, yawning so deeply, a tiny squeak followed. It was cute, "Never could figure out how to turn me back."

"Oh, you poor thing."

Right? He had been an adulterer... She reached out to pat him between the ears,

"It's not so bad. Food could be better..."

Yeva looked up at a server passing out drinks at a nearby table. Lunch sounded good and now she had something to write about, "You're hungry?" She lifted an arm, waving over the the waiter and took a seat at an iron wrought table, "Can I have menu, please? And um," she glanced at the dog, "A bowl of water?" Once the man wandered agreed, Yeva pulled her journal out and began to unscrew her ink pot, "Can I write this down? You're awfully interesting." she smiled, trying to hide the fact that she was having a full blown conversation with an animal, "You could be my main character. I could change the names..."

He didn't respond right away, transfixed on a squirrel lurking nearby.

"Maybe change some details? Or, we could go to Petyr's? Maybe there's a potion to turn you back-"

"Fine."

"Fine? You mean-?"

"You can write about this," he yawned again, scooting forward and rolling on his side, stubby legs kicking as he got comfortable at her feet, "Stories should emotionally engage and intellectually stimulate. I can think of no subject more interesting... And you're buying me lunch."

Yeva was quick to agree.

It seemed inspiration had found her after all.
word count: 838
Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

86 Ashan 720

The waiter came back and she ordered a bit of buttered rice and greens, asking for some roasted chicken on the side. This, she gave to the dog, swatting him away when he tried to climb in her lap, berating him before he could choke on a bone. She knew they could splinter if they were gnawed on, or at least that's what her mother had always said. She had never tried to confirm this tidbit of knowledge, but didn't want the corgi to be the one to find out.

After they ate, Yeva pushed away her bowl and wiped her mouth, "Why don't you want to be turned back?"

She had noticed he had agreed to allow her to write about him but not to see if they could find a remedy. Did he not trust Petyr, the Alchemist?

"Why would I?" the dog licked his chops, then the plate she had set on the ground. It was empty, any sign of fowl devoured, but still, he tried to find another morsel, "No rent. No need to constantly impress others. I'm my own-"

"Dog?"

Yeva smiled, even after he barked at a gull who was on the prowl, and began jotting down a list of personality traits to remember him by. Sometimes lists were the perfect option.
Confident (Arrogant?), bold, shameless, content, mischievous.
She thought about what he had told her, having once been in a love affair. If he was the inspiration for a character, what was his motive?

Had he been in love with the woman? Had it derived from selfish or carnal desire?

Did this make his former lover the villain? Or-

Inspiration was flowing now, Yeva quickly scribbling every idea that came to her mind.

Was he - the dog - a villain now reformed? What if, in the version she wrote, he had grown obsessed with his lover, wanting them to be together, but the husband, while heartbroken after discovering the truth of betrayal had not lashed out to deform his wife's paramour but to protect her?

Or-

"Hey," Yeva said suddenly, long after the dog had gone quiet, "I have an idea, but I-" she searched beneath the table, "Hello?"

"Doggy?"

At her feet was a bowl of water and a plate of uneaten chicken. The animal was no where to be found.
word count: 396
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Yeva:

Knowledge:
Skill Knowledge

Storytelling
Emotionally Engage, Intellectual Stimulate
Give a Story "Struggle" (Conflict)

Writing
Observation Leads to Compelling Writing
Know Your Audience
Don't Sit Around Waiting for Inspiration
Jot Down Compelling Details to Incorporate Later

Non-Skill Knowledge

Scalvoris Town: The Scholar's Nook

Loot: Creative notes about a talking dog.
Lost: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: 5. People start to wonder if Yeva can talk to animals!
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.
- - -
Comments: I didn’t know that Yeva was a storyteller! I like her in that role. It suits her, and I enjoyed the description of her looking for something (or somebody!) that inspires her and her thoughts about writing!

When the corgi walked up to her and licked her fingers, I couldn’t help but smile. That was such a cute scene! I wonder what was in Yeva’s tea as well. Talking dogs are not the norm!

I grinned pretty much throughout the thread because it was so much fun. I don’t think I’ve ever read a thread where a talking dog gives someone advice. The corgi gave Yeva great advice, by the way!

And when he peed … oh my!

Maybe none of it was real, or maybe Yeva was just imagining things. I liked how you handled that aspect of the thread – and how you ended it with the corgi suddenly being gone.

It’s good that he’s happy as a dog no matter if he was real or not though!

Enjoy your rewards!

word count: 256

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”