[Note by Pegasus] Talryn

Development pieces which have not been completed etc.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Rei'sari
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 451
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Talryn

Talryn
small image here
Rei'sari
Price: Tier 6 for untrained cubs, tier 7 for trained adults, and tier 10 for dead animals, and harvested alchemical ingredients (horns, fur, eyes), pelts, or trophies (claws, teeth, horns).
Habitat: Talryn can only be found in the Sweetwine Woods
Description: Talryn have the appearance of wolves, but they are one and a half times bigger than normal wolves. Males tend to be larger than females. They have an opalescent spiral horn on their heads that they use as a weapon. Talryn can be any color than a normal wolf can be but they have opalescent fur, and they can be more than one color. They have jewel toned eyes that glow when they experience intense emotion.

*I added the description part because I can't draw, and there isn't really any images of real life animals that match what I have in mind. This is similar to what I imagine in my head.*
Lifespan and Development: Talryn live for an average of 30-40 arcs. Talryn are cubs for the first five arcs of their lives. After another two arcs, they will be fully grown, and they will be sexually mature. The Talryn breeding season is in early Cylus. Females have a gestation period of 75 trials, and give birth to litters of 3-5 cubs that are nursed for three seasons. They mate for life, and will only rarely take another mate if their first one dies. The entire pack will help to raise the young until they are fully grown.

Talryn live in packs of ten to twenty individuals. The average pack size is ten Talryn, and consists of two or three mated pairs, and their offspring (cubs and adolescents). The maximum size of any pack ever found is twenty individuals. When a Talryn cub reaches adulthood, they leave the pack to seek a mate of their own and form a new pack.

Diet: Talryn are carnivores. They hunt in packs, which gives them the ability to take down prey that is much bigger than they are. Their main prey are deer, elk, and Oh Deer, but they will hunt smaller prey such as rabbits and squirrels if the Talryn in question is a lone Talryn, and is hunting alone, or if they are desperate.
Temperament: Talryn are social creatures within their own packs. They have the intelligence of a grey parrot (or a 2-3 arc old child). They are extremely aggressive towards anything they see as a threat (anything that is attacking them), but aside from that, they are very curious and affectionate. At times, they have been known to adopt abandoned young of other species (not ones they see as prey) and try to raise it themselves (to varying degrees of success). And if they find a lost child in the woods, they will try to raise them as well.

Due to their intelligence, their social nature, and their curiosity about other creatures, they are fairly easy to domesticate. If taken from the wild when young and raised as pets, they will be loyal to and very affectionate towards the person/people who raised them. As adults, it is possible to domesticate one by befriending it - which is also easy to do due to their curious nature as long as you don't show any type of aggression towards them.

Trained Talryn make good pets/companions, hunting partners, and guard animals. But they do best in pairs or groups due to their social nature. And they may try to herd children to safety if they feel the children are in danger - "danger" is relative to a Talryn and can mean anything from keeping a child from getting too close to a pond/stream, or to a horse of they feel the horse is a threat to the child, etc. This can be both a benefit, and a nuisance.

Abilities: 1) Their intelligence (that of a grey parrot)
Weaknesses: Their intelligence means that you have to keep them occupied and entertained or they will find their own entertainment.
Fast Facts Skill Levels Required
Knowing It
-- Scalvoris: Competent
-- Idalos: Expert
Wealth Tier
-- Scalvoris: Tier 10
-- Idalos: Tier 10
Sell/Buy It
Rarity
-- Scalvoris: Uncommon
-- Idalos: NA
Finding It
-- Scalvoris: Expert
Collecting It
-- Scalvoris: NA
Using It
-- Alchemy: Expert
--Training one: Competent
--Taking Care of/Raising one: Competent

Killing It
-- Master
Capturing It
-- Master if you show aggression towards them while trying to capture them, Expert if you try to outsmart them, and Competent if you lure them in by making them curious about you
Danger
-- Very High if you show any aggression towards them (anything they would see as an attack), Moderate in the wild unless they are curious about you, in which case it is Low, Low with domesticated Talryn
Tending It
--Competent
Last edited by Rei'sari on Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total. word count: 811
Rei'sari was formerly Ari'sora, but after getting a fresh start in life and a new appearance from Vega, she changed her name to Rei'sari.
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Re: Talryn

Hmmmmmm

I'm not sure about this - my concern here is about how available they'd be. I'm going to ask our Council Member for Natural Affairs to poke his snout in here for some feedback.
word count: 37
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Hi - so I've nudged Nir'wei again.

However, I'm very concerned about this large creature that's strong and intelligent and can bond with a mortal and defend them to the death and will live as long as they do. It's very overbalanced, I think. I'm going to wait for Nir'wei to respond as the IC officer for Natural Affairs, but just want to be clear that's my take.
word count: 75

Rei'sari
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

I spoke with Nir'wei about it a long while back, and they do need a lot of work still. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I will rewrite them when I get the chance to negate most/all of the advantages they might give. Either making it so that any advantage comes at a high enough cost that it would hopefully balance out, or give it enough weaknesses that any advantage can be easily countered and/or turned into a disadvantage by most people, etc.
word count: 89
Rei'sari was formerly Ari'sora, but after getting a fresh start in life and a new appearance from Vega, she changed her name to Rei'sari.
Rei'sari
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Talryn
small image here
Rei'sari
Price: Living: 25 WP for a living cub; only sold to people who have 1) been accepted by a cub, and 2) have proven that they have enough skill with animals to handle one, Dead: 15 WP for a cub, 25 WP for an adolescent, 35 WP for an adult, Harvested alchemical ingredients (horns, fur, eyes): varies based on quality (if they were properly harvested)
Habitat: Talryn can be found in any habitat that wolves can be found in. So primarily forests.
Description: Talryn have the appearance of wolves, but they are one and a half times bigger than normal wolves. Males tend to be larger than females. They have an opalescent spiral horn on their heads that they use as a weapon. Talryn can be any color than a normal wolf can be but they have opalescent fur, and they can be more than one color. They have jewel toned eyes that glow when they experience intense emotion.

*I added the description part because I can't draw, and there isn't really any images of real life animals that match what I have in mind. This is similar to what I imagine in my head.*
Lifespan and Development: Talryn live for an average of 30-40 arcs. Talryn are cubs for the first five arcs of their lives. After another two arcs, they will be fully grown, and they will be sexually mature. The Talryn breeding season is in early Cylus. Females have a gestation period of 75 trials, and give birth to litters of 3-5 cubs that are nursed for three seasons. They mate for life, and will only rarely take another mate if their first one dies. The entire pack will help to raise the young until they are fully grown.

Talryn live in packs of ten to twenty individuals. The average pack size is ten Talryn, and consists of two or three mated pairs, and their offspring (cubs and adolescents). The maximum size of any pack ever found is twenty individuals. When a Talryn cub reaches adulthood, they leave the pack to seek a mate of their own and form a new pack.

Diet: Talryn are carnivores. They hunt in packs, which gives them the ability to take down prey that is much bigger than they are. Their main prey are deer, elk, and Oh Deer, but they will hunt smaller prey such as rabbits and squirrels if the Talryn in question is a lone Talryn, and is hunting alone, or if they are desperate.
Temperament: Talryn are social creatures within their own packs. They have the intelligence of a grey parrot (or a 2-3 arc old child). They are extremely aggressive towards anything that is not either a Talryn, or their prey, and if approached, they will attempt to kill anything they see as a threat (anything that isn't a Talryn or their prey).

If taken as very young cubs (less than an arc old), they can be trained to accept people. Trained Talryn are still more wild creatures than domesticated ones over all, but they can learn to accept one person as their "alpha." A trained Talryn is very affectionate towards "their" person, but they are still very aggressive towards anyone else. They can be trained not to attack anyone who does not act threateningly towards "their" person, but great care must be taken when introducing them to new people once they are adults.

Trained Talryn make loyal companions who make great hunting or guard animals, for those who are skilled at working with animals.

Abilities: 1) Their intelligence (that of a grey parrot)
Weaknesses: Their aggressiveness often causes them to attack something that is too powerful for them to win against.
Fast Facts Skill Levels Required
Knowing It
-- Idalos: Expert
Wealth Tier
-- Scalvoris: Tier 10
-- Idalos: Tier 10
Sell/Buy It
Rarity
-- Scalvoris: Uncommon
-- Idalos: Rare
Finding It
-- Scalvoris: Expert
-- Idalos: Master
Collecting It
-- Scalvoris: NA
Using It
-- Alchemy: Expert
--Training one: Master

Killing It
-- Expert (if you have a means of dealing with their telepathic attack)
Capturing It
-- Master
Danger
-- Very High if they are wild, High if they are trained, unless you are the person that they have accepted as "theirs"
Tending It
--Expert
Last edited by Rei'sari on Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 719
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Hi

So - there remain some very significant issues here. I'm going to list them for ease.

1. This write up is just shy of 1,500 words. People need to be able to access the information - it's a Fauna, not a thread. This word count needs to be cut down a lot.

2. There are issues with the Nekosani and many of them are the same issues here. I get that you have a particular type / thing you like here - but the same issues are in both pieces:

a. Bonding like this is the remit of blessings / familiars. You can't circumvent the requirements for those.
b. Adding in pain and suffering if you're injured or they are doesn't negate the basic issue - it just adds in pain and suffering. Bottom line: this is too powerful.
c. Highly intelligent creatures are tricky in the extreme.
d. Telepathic creatures are tricky in the extreme
e. This creature is more powerful than a revealed Empath in terms of passing on emotions.

Fundamentally, what you've created here is far too powerful for player dev. It would need to be mod controlled and is not at all balanced. It's almost like a Velduris wolf, and there's a reason that prophets dev blessings because they need to be balanced. Something like this is rather like (not entirely, but quite like) Ledas - the tiger that Darius was given in the Forging. Those things are given a) very rarely and b) after great risk / great achievement.

Please scale them back (significantly) in terms of lifelong companion/ empath/bonding/etc -- and in terms of words.

Thanks!
word count: 275

Rei'sari
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

I kept their lifespan of 30-40 arcs since there are a number of animals that live that long, or longer (elephants, parrots, etc.). I also kept their intelligence, but I have greatly altered them, and I think that I have addressed the issues that you explained.
word count: 47
Avalon
Profession: Bootiful Bean
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Events

Hey Rei - I'm popping in here to leave my two cents.

First, please pretty please place the newest version of this dev in the first post. Just makes things easier for us if we are only looking at one version. Thanks!

I'm going to take this a piece at a time because there are still a lot of issues I'm seeing.
Price: Living: 25 WP for a living cub; only sold to people who have 1) been accepted by a cub, and 2) have proven that they have enough skill with animals to handle one, Dead: 15 WP for a cub, 25 WP for an adolescent, 35 WP for an adult, harvested alchemical ingredients (horns, fur, eyes): varies based on quality (if they were properly harvested)
So, I'm a bit confused. This is an animal that costs more than some houses - who is selling these animals and what is the purpose of the very specific criteria? How are they supposed to be 'accepted by a cub'? 'How are they supposed to proved that they have enough skill to handle one? I would think that, due to the rarity of the breed and the insane measure needed to procure breeding stock from the wild, that the sale of said animal would be limited currently to one place of breeding, if any, and they would be the one setting the selling criteria, not something in a write up on the animal. Food for thought.

Beyond that, you've stated this is a Tier 10 purchase. All you need is that in the price line. If this animal is available for purchase (and I'm not yet convinced it should be), not matter what version, it will be Tier 10 (unless you decide that's too high.)
Habitat: Talryn can be found in any habitat that wolves can be found in. So primarily forests.
Hmmm, this doesn't scream 'rare' to me. I think you are going to have to decide if this animal is rare or not and adjust accordingly. If it's rare, it shouldn't be found in every forest.
If taken as very young cubs (less than an arc old), they can be trained to accept people. Trained Talryn are still more wild creatures than domesticated ones over all, but they can learn to accept one person as their "alpha." A trained Talryn is very affectionate towards "their" person, but they are still very aggressive towards anyone else. They can be trained not to attack anyone who does not act threateningly towards "their" person, but great care must be taken when introducing them to new people once they are adults.
This is a wild, wild animal. The way its being described is very concerning to me. The level of training that would be needed to even remotely train this animal in one or two things is very, very high.

There are a few other issues with the fast facts but I'm going to do my conclusion here because it may impact those fast facts, so no point in going over that now.

On a whole, I think this animal is very unbalanced. In dev'ing, I often think about animals in two categories: wild and domesticated. Yes, there are some that straddle the line, but this animal does not read as one of those. This is an animal that needs to be, in current form, a wild creature that is not available for purchase (other than potentially dead), or it needs to be toned down. You need to go one way or another. I don't see this one being able to exist, in current form, as an animal that has already been bred for sale/trained/etc. If a pc wants to come along and take that on, awesome.

Hopefully this gives you some good food for thought. Come back and let us know which way you want to go and we can go from there!
word count: 663
Rei'sari
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

It did help me a lot. I've made some changes, and I've tried to tone down the aggression of the Talryn once/if they are domesticated, but I am not sure if it is enough. What I am aiming for is a wild animal that is difficult to hunt due to the danger involved - but some people might enjoy the challenge of a difficult hunt. Especially when the animal has parts that can be used in alchemy. If the Talryn can be brought to a point where they can be approved, I plan to write up the reagents that they can produce as well when I have the time.

But I am also aiming for a challenge for those who are looking for an interesting pet as well. One that is difficult to get as it would involve a lot of plot work in raising a Talryn from a cub if they are interested in doing so. Hopefully the adjustments I made are closer to something that would work for this.

If it helps, I've been thinking along the lines of people who keep wild animals as pets. I've read about people who keep ocelots, for example, or even tigers and other big cats - though the latter is mostly people who raise orphaned cubs for a zoo from what I've read. As I think about it though, I am not sure how well that would work here. In real life, people need all kinds of training and licenses to keep wild animals as pets, and there isn't anything like that set up in Idalos as far as I know.
word count: 275
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

I've given you some feedback on the Scalvwolves which may help - I think you've got into a habit of / or you particularly like deving large animals with the intelligence of a grey parrot who are aggressive, territorial but will bond / link / become buddies with one person. One animal like that is kinda pushing it - but there's a few popping up now, and it's too overbalanced.

I'm with Avalon on this. It needs to be a wild animal or an animal which can be domesticated.
word count: 89

Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Development Limbo”