PM to Join Choose Your Fighter

Yeva goes to the Proving Ground for a bit of exercise, ends up running into Darius Baer.

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Choose Your Fighter

Knuckle Sandwich

"Oh, gods!" Yeva threw her hands up in a helpless panic and then jumped towards Darius to try and see his face, "I'm so sorry!" He took the hit well, but when he upturned his chin and his tongue flicked across his lip, she noticed the red glistening of blood, "I got carried away, I didn't mean to, I swear-" Her red ponytail swished back and forth as she looked around frantically for her bag, slowing slightly when he spoke. A bee?

A funny comparison that made her spare a small smile. Maybe she was overreacting? He was a grown man after all, and plenty worse happened in Rharne taverns every night for mere sport, "Stinger or not," she deflected, eyes honing in on his flinching, "I promised not the face and I went back on my word... Wait here. I can fix this."

Tearing off her gloves, she tucked them under her armpit and went jogging towards her gear, grabbing her bag and waterskin. Head down, while she fussed with the pockets, as she rounded before Darius, Yeva pulled out what looked like little packets of white stitched cloth, dangling from a colored thread, "Can you lean down for me?"

She dropped her bag and gloves at her feet, loosening her waterskin and pouring some of the clear liquid over the cloth. Giving them a little shake of her hand, the thread loosened, and then the cloth dangled, the edge of the thread topped with little heart-shaped paper. It was a handmade tea bag, and glancing up at Darius, she began to explain, "I made these for the Gifting Trial, back on the fifth," Yeva held the saturated tea bag up, now dark from moisture and waved it towards his mouth, "It's a herbal tea blend. Black and green teas have tannic acid, which can aid in the formation of blood clots. Should set you straight rather quickly, a split lip is pretty tame, even from a seasoned fighter like myself," she grinned at the jest, the guilt from earlier beginning to fade, "It's funny, that you called me that..."

Like a little bee, it was sweet, "I actually made something else, but when I tried to give it away, I was ignored. That man was a real..." she pinched her lips closed, but her eyes finished the sentence. 'You know.'

"Here, I'll show you."

Making sure he had a hold of the tiny square of cheesecloth, she crouched to delve back into her satchel, "A bee!" she said triumphantly, jumping back up and outstretching her hand. Sitting in her palm was a small button wrapped in cloth, and embroidered in its center, the yellow insect, "You can have it if you'd like. I'm still learning my stitches... It's cute. I think so, anyway."

word count: 476
Darius Baer Bottom
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Profession: Woodworker / Sailor
Renown: 1110
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

Initially, Darius extended a hand to brush away Yeva's concern, but he realised it was all for nothing when the redhead removed her gloves and began to rummage through her bag. He spared a glance towards the instructor, who - he realised, with an awkward pang in his stomach - was watching on and clearly wondering why they had stopped sparring. The man shook his head and turned his attention to the other fighters, which Darius took to mean that he wasn't too bothered, perhaps because no nels had changed hands.

Dark grey eyes fell upon the teabag when Yeva returned with it, and he dutifully leaned down at her request.

"It wasn't your fault," he said quietly, flinching slightly whenever his teeth met his bottom lip to form the letter 'f'. "I ducked into your strike."

He saw the heart-shaped paper that dangled as she held it out, his eyebrows lifting slightly to show how impressed he was.

"So you can create," he acknowledged with a tentative grin, "and not just destroy."

He wanted to smile properly at his own jest, but the stinging pain of his lip prevented that. It seemed silly that such a small wound might be so bothersome, but it reminded him of the pain that could be brought on by the tiniest of wood splinters or a parchment cut.

His brow furrowed slightly, when Yeva spoke of the man at the Gifting Trial. He could only wonder what had happened, but it clearly hadn't been a pleasant experience.

Darius removed his gloves and held the cloth against his lip, ignoring the sting he felt as his redheaded friend sought something else from her bag. He didn't know what she was looking for, but when she triumphantly presented him with her 'bee', he knew he would never have guessed its identity in a hundred arcs. A rumble ran through his chest as he chuckled, while the hand against his lips kept his mouth closed.

His free hand reached out, and he picked up the button from Yeva's palm, before turning it over in his fingers.

"Your stitches look fine to my untrained eye," he spoke, his voice slightly muffled by the cloth. "I will cherish it. It will remind me of the time I went to a bullfight and got stung by a bee."

He gently wrapped it back up, then walked across to his own knapsack and placed it inside one of the pockets. Then he returned, pressing the cloth with an extra firmness against his mouth before pulling it away to see if it had collected much blood. He leaned down once more, so that he was closer to Yeva's height, providing her with a closer view.

"How does it look?" he asked, before catching another glimpse of the gauze on her face and forcing another grin. "Perhaps we could be mistaken for twins."
word count: 487
Yeva
Approved Character
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Feeling Scrappy

"A bullfight!" Yeva laughed with eyes that trailed after Darius. He tucked away her gift and leaned down, removing the cloth from his lip, "Was I a bull before a bee?" She stuck out her tongue.

How does it look?

"Hmm," It was swollen and would likely redden more, but the bleeding had stopped. Nothing more than a cut lip, it was hardly anything to worry about, "Looks like you ran your mouth too much and compared your friend to a cow," Yeva grinned in her teasing, and then tilted her head as she gave her observation. Darius' eyes were smokey grey, his hair blonde like lightened straw. A tall and broad figure, whereas her was much smaller and slighter, her nose wrinkled in amusement, sending freckles to bunch across her rosy cheeks, ""It's like looking in a mirror."

"You two done yet?"

Yeva straightened, looking over her shoulder to find the instructor watching them with crossed arms. He had made his rounds and seemed to be less amused than the two chatty cathy's in his court yard.

"Oh, um, sorry," Were they in trouble? Perhaps it was his tone or the way he stood, but the man was intimidating in a way that made her feel like a child being reprimanded on the playground, "I hit him in the face and..." The instructor waited with an aura of annoyance that made her shrink back, "I felt bad."

"That so?" he shook his head, pinched the bridge of his nose and then waved a hand, "You-" he pointed to a girl, taller than Yeva but with a sinewy, cat like appearance, followed by a man with short cropped hair and a scar across his left brow, "And you. These are your new sparring partners. Take it seriously," he shot them both a look of warning, "No more talking or you leave my field, understood?"

"Yessir," Yeva glanced at Dari, surprised when the male stranger stood across from her. The sharper female looked ready to fight, taking a stance that she could only mimic. Yeva moved away from her friend and put up her hands, her own partner asking if she was ready.

"Y-Yeah, I'm ready."

"Good," he gave a serious nod, and while she didn't sense any sort of vindictive desire to hurt her, her new partner was here to fight. He threw punches, Yeva's gloves absorbing the blow. Each attack was quick, stronger - forcing the redhead to duck her head and square her shoulders or risk getting thrown off balance. It reminded her of her brothers.

And suddenly she was back in Rharne, fending off her brother who drunkenly challenged her despite her desire to be left alone.

She swung and jabbed, popping her opponent twice but with little break way. Mid step, she was not ready when his foot shot up, catching her in the shoulder that sent her sprawling to the ground, a surprised sound gasping through her teeth.

'Get up. Get up.'

Being on the ground was bad. She tried to roll and jump back, but her partner lunged. Panic gripped her with every struggle to push him off, fighting as she kept getting thrown into the dirt, a flurry of struggling limbs. Reservations about hurting her opponent vanished. Yeva wrapped her arm around his neck and dragged the stranger forward to hinder his range. Little fists wailing into his ribs, he twisted and threw her away from him, both gasping for breath in their exertion.

She wouldn't let up. Their eyes met and she was reminded of the alley attack. Of how helpless she had been. Yeva, exhausted, jumped atop her opponent and continued to swing, each blow against his arms and chest and gloves getting less intense than the last as her strength ran out. It hadn't taken long, all things considered. Without more training, she was more wild than calculated and by the end of her burst of her aggression, her partner easily pinned her, breaking up to allow her a breath, "You're a spitfire," he laughed, helping her to sit up.

She smiled, her body hurting from the wrestling and she sluggishly reached for her water skin.

Hopefully Dari had learned to swing back.

Last edited by Yeva on Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 713
Darius Baer Bottom
Wiki Worker
Wiki Worker
Profession: Woodworker / Sailor
Renown: 1110
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 9

A sharp exhale of air left Darius' nostrils as he reacted to Yeva's jest about him having supposedly called her a bull.

"Well," his muffled voice stolen from behind the tissue, "if the ring fits..."

There was a lightness of humour that reflected in his eyes as he offered a subtle nod to the redhead's septum piercing, the metal glinting as it peaked out from her nostrils. It did not, of course, make her look remotely bovine, but it was fun to tease the young woman, and her poked tongue suggested that she had taken it in good spirits.

Darius himself bore no piercings. He had seen his fair share of them while at sea, and he found them to be a source of curiosity, for he was sure each one told a tale. The bearded blond was wondering what the story was behind Yeva's decision to get each one when the medic assessed his lip.

As he suspected, the damage was minor. More sore than gore. He rolled his eyes at the revelation, and was about to attempt a witty retort to Yeva's comment on their shared likeness when he heard a male voice.

A pang of guilt stabbed at his stomach as he realised the pair had been lost in conversation while the rest of the class had been sparring properly. He nodded quickly at the instructor's instructions, then caught Yeva's glance when they were parted.

Darius didn't want to admit that he was surprised that he was not facing the man, but he also knew not to assume that his opponent's gender was of any importance. After all, his lip had been cut by the smallest member of the class. He attempted to swallow the lump in his throat, knowing that he had no choice but to fight as best he could.

The broad-shouldered human briefly looked over his opponent, hoping to identify a weakness, but nothing obvious revealed itself. The woman adopted a fighting stance, and once Darius did the same, she offered him a curt nod.

The onslaught began shortly afterwards.

The woman's movements were smooth and elegant as she quickly approached. Darius threw a tentative punch at her as she got close, but she swiftly dodged his powerful but slow strike. Rather than running into him, as he had assumed she would, her sidestep sent her past him, and she jabbed at his exposed ribs as she did, her knuckles landing but not causing much damage.

Darius attempted to turn to face her, but she was already moving past him once again, and this time her fist made more of a connection, causing the sailor to flinch. Again he turned, before kicking out at her in frustration.

To his delight, his boot connected with hers and she began to tumble, but she caught herself in the midst of her fall and tucked her head, before landing in a dive roll that took her safely out of her opponent's range. She jumped up to her feet with ease, landing with a grace that might have made any performer proud.

Darius realised that the woman, her long blonde hair tied into a ponytail while a few rebellious sweat-tipped strands clung to her forehead, had turned their fight into a dance.

She offered him another curt nod, her face revealing the depth of her concentration, before she came at him again. This time it was Darius who was first to step to the side, and it was only dumb luck that had him moving in the right direction, for he could have just as easily stepped directly into her as she began to pivot.

He stuck out his leg again, and as his opponent was already off balance with her own turn, he connected with her lower limbs, and her own momentum sent her down and into the sand. Rather than perform an acrobatic move, however, she landed on her side, and let out a groan as she ceased her attack. She sat up, brushing the sand from her torso as she did so.

Elated, Darius struggled to contain himself as he sent an excited glance of pride in Yeva's direction, before he came to his senses and awkwardly offered his opponent a helping hand. His offer of assistance was accepted with a polite smile, but the blonde woman said nothing, instead retreating to her waterskin, which Darius took as a sign that he should do the same.

One break later, Darius' waterskin was empty, and the bearded Scalvorian was trying to catch his breath. His heart was rushing, and it felt like he had bruises in places that he didn't even remember getting hit. His muscles ached all over, and his clothes were marked by patches of sweat.

None of that bothered him too much. He had expected a good workout when he'd arrived. But what amazed him was how the other students - regulars, presumably - seemed relatively unfazed by the whole ordeal. They were sweaty, of course, but they all seemed quite capable of getting to their feet and gathering their possessions.

Darius, too, was able to do that - it just took him much longer than anyone else. He was sure he would wake up with aching muscles the following morning, but he was hopeful that the practice would prove useful - not just for him, but for Yeva, so that she could better protect herself if she was attacked again.

And that was what he told her, casting another worried glance at her lip as he left the training area, bee button in hand.
word count: 943
Jackalope
Renown: 0
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

RP Medals

Events

]

I quite enjoyed this thread. I appreciate how you both did a lot more with it than just a mechanical “training” thread.
Darius

Experience: +15 xp

Magic xp: None

Knowledge:

Skill Knowledge:
Athletics: Using your hips when you stretch.
Athletics: Recovery is as important as preparation.
Caregiving: Expressing concern without being patronising.
Caregiving: Gifts can provide support to both the giver and the receiver.
Combat: Unarmed: Using padded gloves for practice. Combat: Unarmed: Stepping back from a fierce attack.
Combat: Unarmed: Block with your first and forearm.
Combat: Unarmed: Defend with your hands in front of your face.
Endurance: Receiving a flurry of blows.
Endurance: Dealing with a punch to the mouth.
Etiquette: Pay attention to your instructor.
Tactics: A small opponent can still hurt a large opponent.

Non-Skill Knowledge:
Yeva: Is tougher than she looks.
Yeva: Has been attacked for being a member of the Order of the Adunih.
Yeva: Has taken up embroidery.

Injuries/Overstepping: “None” you say? The big fat lip says otherwise. ‘Cause you got beaten by a girl. :p No significant non-cosmetic injuries, though.

Skillplay: Appropriate to level

Renown +5.

Loot: A small button, embroidered with a bee.

Comments:
Darius hit a girl! Boo!

It was fun reading Darius trying to reconcile his instinctive gentleness and protectiveness of Yeva with the need to take the sparring seriously. I found his initial discomfort believable and relatable. Darius’ humility and seriousness will serve him well in his pursuit of improvement, I think. With enough practice, he might even be able to beat Yeva some trial. The Muhammed Ali references made me laugh.
Yeva

Experience: +15 x.p.

Skillplay: Appropriate to level.

Knowledges:

None requested at this time. Please do PM me once you find the time to do so. It will be my pleasure to add to your rewards.

Renown +5.

Comments: A lot of Yeva’s personality comes through in this thread, for all that it’s ostensibly just a sparring thread. There’s so much more going on: her processing of a recent trauma, her dismay at the unfamiliar physical challenges, her friendship with Darius, her need to release some frustration, her wicked sense of humor, her nurturing and creative side. And I liked how her medical background came into play in her reactions to things; I especially enjoyed the mention of all the muscles and tendons she could name that she could now also feel.
Let me know if either of you have any questions/feedback. Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 417
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”