I Know His Name

Balthazar and Yeva work to stop a kidnapping.

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1830
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: I Know His Name

24 Ashan 720
What should she tell him? Balthazar hadn't thought that far ahead. He'd only been thinking to make sure that there was someone left behind to babysit the child's parents. He thought for a moment about Yeva's question, smiling slightly when she asked about compromising his investigation. Could someone compromise the work he was doing? Sure... but it would be harder than Yeva telling a poor lie... at least at this point. Attunement made up for a lot of the human error and Balthazar was becoming pretty good at Attuning. He had an idea for how they might solve the case using said magic but he wasn't ready to voice it... not yet. There were still more facts to gather."Tell him something embarrassing." Balthazar decided. He let that hang in the air for a trill or so before he realized how that might have needed explanation. "Embarrassing to him, not you. I've found that when you embarrass someone, they stop asking you questions. Or tell him the truth- we aren't the ones doing anything wrong."

And so they arrived at the tavern Balthazar had been talking about. It was a modest establishment in size but a poor one in quality and Yeva would have the unfortunate pleasure of discovering. The walls were wooden and split- they definitely could have used some paint. "Together. I glow and shock everything I touch, I doubt that anyone in there will be distracted by you." And with that Balthazar walked into the tavern. The interior seemed to have tables and chairs made of the same wood and all of them reeked of the cheaper booze that could be purchased. There were a few tables on the floor but Balthazar went almost directly to the one in the corner. "Play it friendly... for now..." Balthazar said to Yeva as they reached the bar. He tapped his knuckles on the counter a few times and waited for the bartender to finish with the ithecal across the way.

While he waited, Balthazar leaned closer to Yeva and continued speaking in a hushed tone so that only she would hear him. "Keep an eye out for anyone strange. If it's a mage, they'll have a witchmark and maybe some mutations.I'll talk to the bartender, you look around." A beat later Balthazar remembered that the mage had probably overstepped in using his magic to turn the hay to gold, but he didn't tell Yeva because he didn't know what to have her look out for. He knew what it was like when a Defier, Rupturer, or Attuner overstepped, but not this mysterious gold fabricator.

If Yeva did as told, she'd find a number of things. The most notable being that this dive-tavern was certainly popular. The walls were falling apart and the building reeked but it was full of people. Some large Ithecal in the corner were playing a large game but they all looked as one might have expected them to look. There was a human on a date with a mer at another table. Then there were the other individuals at the bar- a human, an ithecal, and a tunawa who was just sitting cross legged on the bar and not on a stool. Aside from the odd concoctions they were drinking as some challenge to each other, nothing seemed special about them. The tunawa was a little cute maybe.

Yet one man would stand out from the others with a little bit of looking. A man sitting in a corner booth on his own drinking what looked like... raw eggs? If Yeva had looked soon enough she could have seen him crack an egg into the glass he was holding and then drink it whole. Some people were nasty. There was also a woman with golden nails sitting by herself and drinking from a glass of burgundy liquid but the raw eggs guy was really the worst.
word count: 669

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Yeva
Approved Character
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720

Tell him something embarrassing? Wasn't that easier said than done! Demaki was shameless, not that Balthazar knew that. In an effort to take his advice, she pondered what she could say... Judgements about appearance felt mean spirited, and she respected Demaki a great deal to try to humiliate the man's work. Yeva stayed quiet, up until they rounded the tavern and she was given more instruction, snorting at Balthazar's suggestion to stay friendly, "I'm always nice," she retorted, following after him as he rapt his knuckles along the bar.

She tensed when the white haired detective leaned forward to whisper, listening while her eyes bounced around the room, "Eyes peeled, you got it."

Yeva climbed into a stool, looking down the length of the bar. There was an Ithecal - she had not seen many in person and they were certainly interesting! Of course, interesting and strange meant two very different things and she doubted her medical curiosity would help in their investigation, "Look, a tunawa! I haven't seen one since Athart," They were so cute! Yeva grinned but didn't want to be caught staring, so she continued to observe.

It occurred to her as she took in the crowd and the grimy walls, she had no idea what a witchmark might look like. Was it like a branding or tattoo, similar to distinguishing an Avriel's slave? Some places required it by law. Mutations, she understood... to a degree. Like the green skin of Skroll, the earth elemental, with his big teeth and piercing eyes. Xiur's stars, he had been so handsome.

A dreamy look played on Yeva's features as she recalled their meeting, but it was short lived. Staring outward, she watched the patron with the eggs, without recognition. It was only as she refocused that she understood exactly what she was watching. At once, her face twisted and she felt her stomach rebel. Gross! She had heard of some health benefits from consuming raw eggs, but she had also knew it could easily make one sick... That was certainly strange. The redhead looked away quickly, searching for anything pleasant to distract her. And then she saw the woman drinking wine, her fingers glinting in the lantern light, "Balthazar," she drew closer to him, clearing her throat, "So, it could just be paint, but look at that woman... See her nails? If someone could turn straw..."

Surely they could also change something small on their persons? Or many the magic affected their fingers...? "Was the voice the mother heard male or female?" she couldn't remember if that had been disclosed earlier, but now she could certainly imagine a woman - especially one that was barren, perhaps? - wishing for a child... Was that sexist?

Frowning at the thought of drinking eggs, "I'm not sure if that's strange enough... Can magic affect someone's diet?"

word count: 487
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720
Balthazar put an inordinate amount of effort into stifling the small laugh that threatened to escape from him when Yeva said she was always nice. They had work to do and he needed to remember that. So while Yeva watched the crowd for anything suspicious and made her child-like observations, Balthazar spoke with the bartender in a hushed tone. Whatever Balthazar said to the bartender, the man seemed to lean in an adopt a similar secrecy in his response. A few more hushed sentences were exchanged and then Balthazar and the bartender cast a glance at Yeva. Balthazar seemed to consider something for a moment before whispering his response back to the bartender with a gentle shake of his head. The bartender seemed disappointed, but whatever Balthazar whispered next seemed to set him at ease. Then the bartender leaned in and whispered something to Balthazar which caused him to audibly exclaim,

"No!" To which the bartender exclaimed,

"True story, swear on me mother's pecan pie."

"That's an odd thing to swear on, but alright. Thank you." The bartender settled into his place when Balthazar slipped him a small pouch of nels over the top of the counter which the bartender tried and failed to gracefully take. He failed because in his swipe he only knocked the bag from the counter but he quickly knelt down to pick it up.

That was when Yeva called to Balthazar. Balthazar was sure she was going to say something about the Tunawa again and so he quickly prepared a lecture about focus but then Yeva directed him to two suspects in the tavern. Balthazar tried to look discretely but the man with the eggs had noticed Yeva staring and now noticed that she had pointed him out to Balthazar. Unease settled over the man who stood and casually made his way towards the tavern exit. If he was their man, he was getting away... but the woman with the golden nails remained comfortably in her place.

Balthazar was torn, unsure of who to follow when he remembered he was not alone. This revelation was prompted by Yeva's question about the voice." The wife said it was a male but if you spoke in a low enough tone through the wall I might have thought you were a man. Quickly, see if you can find out where she got her nails done. It might help us if egg-boy is a bust. I'll get him just to me safe. Meet me outside when you're done." Balthazar kept his instructions brief while he gathered himself and departed suddenly from Yeva. He couldn't let the egg drinker get too far away. A trill later, Balthazar was gone and Yeva was left to investigate.
word count: 466

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720

"The wife said it was a male but if you spoke in a low enough tone through the wall I might have thought you were a man."

Yeva's hand lifted to grab her throat, brow suddenly knit with horror. She didn't have the highest voice in Idalos, but was it really so deep to be mistaken for a man's, even at low volume? "Y-yeah, maybe. That makes sense..." 'I guess', she added in the confines of her mind.

"Quickly, see if you can find out where she got her nails done. It might help us if egg-boy is a bust."

She nodded, startled by how fast Balthazar abandoned her in the tavern to go outside and pursue his lead. Right. This wasn't about her, or her [new] insecurities (Thanks for that, Balthazar). Yeva inhaled through her nose and pushed her shoulders back, trying and likely failing to look casual. Before she could waste too much time, however, she decided to just go for it!

With steps that were paced totally normal, Yeva walked towards where the woman was drinking and smiled, "Wow, your nails are amazing," It was truth, not false flattery. Up close, they were radiant in their shine. The woman immediately set her glass of wine down and looking at her hand, tucked it under her palm and opened her mouth to speak. Afraid she would say a simple 'thank you' and she might lose her chance, Yeva decided to push the topic, "Can I ask where you had them done? I only arrived last season. I'm-"

The redhead hesitated. If this woman was the culprit, could giving her real identity be a problem? Balthazar hadn't told her how to approach this! She blinked and gave an embarrassed laugh, "I'm sorry, I hope I'm not bothering you. My names... Vaye."

The woman nodded, her smile didn't quite reach her eyes, "Nice to meet you Vaye. Unique name. Desnind?"

"Uh..."

She rose a brow, "Where you're from? You don't normally see such bright hair down in the southern region, but with your name, I thought..."

"Oh, no. No. From Rharne, actually."

Wait, was that okay to say?

She had always heard the best lies held a hint of truth to them, "Ah, well, since you've asked, Vaye, I do my nails myself."

"Oh, really?" Interest played on the medic's face, which she hoped was well disguised as impressed surprise, "I know Petyr's shop sometimes dabbles in cosmetology, but I've hears such mixed reviews on his wares."

This caused the woman to laugh, "Yes, that man is hardly an alchemist and proper cosmetology is lost on so many, I'm afraid."

Yeva chuckled in agreement, more so on the first half of the statement, but she wanted this woman to like her, "Well, I won't talk your ear off," she extended a hand in greeting, "It was nice meeting you...?"

For a moment, there was silence as they stared at one another and then the woman slipped her hand into Yeva's, "Lydiri." Her hand was ice cold. The drink she had set down wasn't frosted or sweating in the slightest. Odd.

"Have a good night."

"Yes... You too."

Walking back towards the bar, Yeva ordered a drink, although she had no interest in it. A small shot delivered later, she exchanged a few pleasantries with the bartender and tried to keep it brief, glancing once over her shoulder to make sure Lydiri hadn't left. 'Be casual, don't stare,' she reminded herself, throwing the drink back with a disgusted grimace and violent shudder. It was time to find Balthazar.

Yeva moved towards the door and stepped outside, searching for partner in crime [solving].

word count: 637
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720
Balthazar didn't notice Yeva's self-conscious reaction to his comment about her voice. No wonder he had trouble with women so frequently. Then again he didn't think Isabella had a deep enough voice to be mistaken for a man. Then again he hadn't been listening to Isabella through a wall. All the same, he didn't notice her new insecurity before he left her. He went out into the street where the man had run off and saw the man not even a building away.

"Sir! Wait! You forgot your... hat!" It was the best thing Balthazar could come up with on the spot as he began jogging towards the man. He didn't need the man to stop. He just needed him to slow down enough for Balthazar to catch up. The man did slow down, perplexed for a moment as he reached up toward his head before he realized he hadn't brought a hat in. He turned to see who'd said such a strange thing and Balthazar reached him.

"I wasn't wearing a hat-"

"Oh, my mistake. Say, why'd you run when the redhead looked at you?" Balthazar got to the point immediately and watched the fear flash in the egg-man's eyes. He turned to run and Balthazar stuck his arm out, causing the man to crash into it and fall to the floor. "Trooper Black, Flame Troops. There, I've identified myself. Answer my question." Balthazar demanded. The man groaned in pain and rolled on his back like a turtle. Balthazar grew impatient and he grabbed the man by his shirt, lifting him up off the ground with a little boost from his kin element, the wind.

Balthazar held the suspect there, in the air, and attuned to him while he waited for an answer. Attunement had always helped Balthazar divine the truth from deception. An answer finally came stumbling from the suspects mouth. "I was done with my meal." A lie

"Who are you?"

"Milton?"

"Milton who?"

"Milton Brown." Another lie.

"You just said the first color you could think of, didn't you?"

"No sir, Trooper Black! My name is Milton Brown."

Yeva would come out into the most curious of scenes. Balthazar had the man who'd been eating eggs hoisted in the air. He was holding him up by his shirt and using a little defiance to lessen the load. "You're lying!" Balthazar shouted before noticing Yeva and tossing the man onto the ground. The little wind Balthazar had churned cushioned the man's fall. Balthazar wanted to scare him, not hurt him... yet. "Why did you run?"

"Pretty lady, made me nervous. What can I say?" Another lie. Balthazar could hear the note of deception clearly. It was making him angry. Then he realized there were other ways to find the information he needed. They were looking for a mage. Balthazar was attuned. He could find out if this man had the spark they needed. It would just take a little more focus... and even then it wouldn't be enough to bring him in. Balthazar could know the truth, but he still needed to prove it. Balthazar noticed Yeva's arrival and looked over at her.

"He says he ran because you're cute. What do you think?" Balthazar asked. He was clearly bad cop... but who knew? Maybe Yeva had an even worse cop in her.
word count: 580

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720

Yeva left the tavern and rounded the corner to find quite the scene.

Balthazar held the man in the air, but seemed distracted to notice her arrival, tossing the suspect unceremoniously onto the grimy cobblestone floor, "You're lying!"

She gasped, covering her mouth to silence the sound, but seemed to relax when the man didn't hit as hard as she had been expecting. Balthazar was all business, a hound on a blood trail, "Why did you run?"

The air was tense and she stepped forward, arms crossed across her chest, "You lied?" Yeva's attention flickered to the man with the strange dietary preferences, brows knitting as Balthazar noticed her presence, "That's not good."

"He says he ran because you're cute. What do you think?"

"I think..." Yeva felt uncomfortable being used as an excuse, particularly when it came to her physical appearance. I wasn't that he was a liar that upset her, and surely didn't find her attractive - after all, the attention of men who drank eggs for pleasure was dubious to say the least. It was hardly disappointing news - but that a child was at risk, and he must have been guilty of something. Whether or not it was the crime they were investigating remained to be seen. Yeva's frown remained as she reluctantly held out a hand to help the man up, "It doesn't matter how cute you say I am. Things are going to get very ugly if you refuse to cooperate."

Taking a deep breath, the red head forced a patient smile, thinking of the children who had been at risk in Saun. She didn't appreciate putting a child at risk and he was hiding something. Time was of the essence; they didn't have time to play games. But if he insisted... "I don't like being the bad guy," she whispered, brown eyes doleful, "I'm sorry; but this... This is really important."

Which is why they needed answers.

The liar went to grab her hand and Yeva pulled her arm back, throwing it forward where her knuckles cracked against the man's jaw and she jumped back, yelping as she clutched her own hand. The petite Rharnian woman knew about throwing punches and had put her whole force behind the blow, but she was a healer by profession. This was Balthazar's field, she was just trying to follow along.

Ilaren's breath, her hand hurt!

"Stop lying," she muttered, her attempt at intimidation coming out more liked a pained grumble. Yeva flexed her fingers and tried to shake away the pain.

word count: 442
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720
"Then don't be! I haven't done nothing!" The man shouted to Yeva, a desperate plea, when she said she didn't want to be the bad guy. Everything else seemed to fall on deaf ears. The vagrant went for Yeva's hand and she cracked him with what Balthazar thought was a very solid punch for a healer. Balthazar applauded Yeva for a moment, proud of the punch and her initiative. "Good form. I'll take it from here." As an Element, it was possible that he shouldn't have been condoning the use of actual violence, but he got a kick out of seeing the healer punch the man. A kick he delivered to the side of the vagrant to knock him over onto his stomach.

Whoever this egg-drinker was, he was only looking for a way out of this interaction. He didn't want to help. Balthazar could feel it in the frequency. He could hear the notes that had been unfamiliar to him before and understood them with a remarkable clarity. Longing. This man's heart burned for something he couldn't have. Yet that wasn't really the note that Balthazar found interesting. In the long run that note of longing would help Balthazar make sense of the case, but in the moment it was the note of magic in the man that Balthazar cared about. Not just any magic either, transmutation.

"Unfortunately for you, liar, I like being the bad guy." Balthazar said as he waved his hand in a circle, tearing a fiery blue portal the size of a port-hole into the air beside him. The sudden shift in his use of magic caused his sparks to groan at him. His vision blurred for only a moment and Balthazar blinked the effect off. Balthazar grabbed the man by his shirt and pulled him towards the portal, forcing his head through it. Yeva would hear egg-man scream from twenty feet into the air where the portal's egress had formed. He was looking down at them and at Balthazar holding his body in place and jamming his head through the portal. The decapitating portal. It was a go-to intimidation move for Balthazar because most people didn't know how portals worked... most people.

"Why did you threaten Elizabeth's child?" Balthazar shouted up to the head in the sky. Now they were drawing attention. More attention than he wanted. Balthazar took out his badge and tossed it to Yeva. "Wave this around and ask people to kindly go away. I won't actually hurt this guy." Balthazar said quietly to Yeva so the transmuter wouldn't hear it.

"Who's Elizabeth? I don't know who you're talking about!" The mage shouted back. He was lying again. Immortals, Balthazar loved being an attuner.

"Are you sure that's how you want to play this? I told you, I know you're lying!" Balthazar shouted up to the head in the sky. "I can't keep the portal open forever and when it closes... well... Transmutation can't regrow your head can it?" That seemed to cause the man to panic a little. His body squirmed under Balthazar's grip but with his head in the sky it was hard for the Transmutation mage to really process how he was moving. He didn't get free.

"How do you know I'm a mage?"

"The same way I know you're lying! Now answer the question."

Milton seemed to consider Balthazar's words and then he tried what any slimy person did... negotiation."Pull me out of this thing and I'll talk!"

And just like that, Balthazar pulled the transmuter out of the portal and swiped it shut. Balthazar tossed Milton to the ground and then the earth around him softened and Milton sunk in a little before it hardened again, trapping him in place. Milton gave Balthazar a stern, betrayed look and Balthazar shrugged. "What? Bad guy, remember."

Balthazar turned back to Yeva to see how she was doing with dispelling the crowd and to check on her. "How's your hand?" He asked when he reached her.
word count: 704

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720

Balthazar may have approved of her display of aggression, but Yeva had mixed feelings, more anxious with every pair of eyes they drew on the street. What if people thought her violent? She was a good girl! She didn't want to be bad... Not like this.

Her nerves were only slightly soothed by the questioning. Why did you threaten Elizabeth's child? She wanted to know as well. Yeva shuffles restlessly, fretful over the growing crowd, only to look up in time to catch a badge flying towards her. Yeva gave a quizzical look at the defier, tilting her ear when he lowered his voice and revealed his plan. She breathed sigh of relief, nodding.

"Anymore," she corrected softly. He wouldn't hurt this guy anymore. They had already done a bit of damage, no matter how slight, "I'll go calm the others." It looked like the onlookers were debating among themselves who should step up and put a stop to this, if anyone dared to face the magic user.

"It's alright," Yeva began, jogging over to the group, and then, realizing that a petite woman might not seem to most authoritative, held the badge up and hardened her features, "This is an active investigation and this man is believed to be a suspect in..."

They were watching her, "Erm... Child endangerment."

Someone pointed, amazed or horrified. Yeva spun around, craning her neck to spot the suspect's head in the sky, Balthazar shouting threats of decapitation, "He doesn't mean that," Yeva rushed to the viewers, laughing nervously while cradling the hand she had used to throw the punch, "He's just... ya know...Throwing his weight around. Just trying to get answers - But, um, this is important, so please stay back... Excuse me, I have to go now. We have everything under control..."

Yeva spun, running back to Balthazar, panting, "Hey!"

He was shrugging, happy with the bad guy title, "It's kinda hard to cover magical interrogation in the middle of the street," she grumbled, eyes lowering when he brought attention to her sore knuckles, "Oh, I'm fine," She passed over the badge and crouched by the suspect, "You alright? Let's just go somewhere and talk civilly. How's that sound?"

Back to Balthazar she turned, "I don't really know how these things work."

word count: 396
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720
"I know, but you're doing wonderfully." Balthazar replied when Yeva said it was hard to cover for a magical interrogation in the middle of the street. Magic was one thing but Balthazar was using a particularly loud magic and that drew more attention for Yeva to divert. In Balthazar's opinion she played her role perfectly because not a single person made it through Yeva to question Balthazar and that was all he was really asking of her. He took his badge gently back from Yeva when she offered it and when she offered a civil chat to the transmuter trapped in the stone floor, Milton nodded his head.

"I'll talk to you! At least you aren't crazy!" Milton shouted the last part so Balthazar would hear and the mage turned, hot on his heels, towards Milton who writhed in his stone trap. Good trooper, bad trooper. It worked every time.

"You want me to get crazy?" Balthazar asked as flames burst into existence around his hands. Milton writhed more violently and then Balthazar laughed. He shook his hands and the flames faded away. Then with two taps of his toe to the ground, the earth softened to free Milton. Balthazar crossed over and grabbed Milton by the back of his shirt, dragging him up to his feet and then letting him go. "Start talking. Why are you after Elizabeth's child?"

"How can you possibly know-"

"I'm an Attunement mage."

"Crap." Milton grumbled before looking to Yeva who had been the far more sympathetic voice. "Listen, it isn't how she says it is. The kid is mine."

"She said you would think as much." By now Land Troopers were beginning to arrive to the scene of the unorthodox interrogation. Citizens who were overly concerned had gone running for them but when they arrived and saw Balthazar they all seemed to have a moment of realization along the lines of 'not this guy again.'

"But he is, he really is!" Milton insisted. "Bertrand's abusive and a nub in the sack. El couldn't take it. She didn't want to be married off, but her old man didn't care. It was her idea to use my magic to trick Bertrand with the gold and we just... got close. The kid wasn't planned but I won't let that man raise my child."

Balthazar grimaced. He could sense desperation but not deception. He decided Milton was telling the truth... but that complicated matters somewhat. Balthazar sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose before looking to Yeva. "I'll have the land troops take him to the Element Hall while we figure out what to do." Balthazar grumbled with a gesture to the assembled troopers. He rattled off a few orders to them and then they began escorting a silent Milton away. Once the crowd was gone, Balthazar addressed Yeva again. "What do you think we should do? He isn't wrong about Bertrand. The man doesn't seem decent... but telling Bertrand the child isn't his might endanger Elizabeth." Balthazar explained, unsure of what they should do with their newfound knowledge.
Last edited by Balthazar Black on Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 532

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720

Balthazar's praise made Yeva smile.

She wasn't the best in social situations, at least not when it came to displaying unfamiliar authority, so to be told she was doing well was a comforting reassurance. The only thing she ever felt confident in was her scholarly work - and the fact that her shift at the Order had gone from examining an infant's health to hunting down a possible threat to said patient - was perhaps a testament to her passion in the field. No one had quite expected for the job to take on this particular approach to monitoring physical well-being but who was she to argue?

Yeva liked it, and opted to observe the suspect as he shouted at Balthazar.

"You want me to get crazy?"

Flames licked the white-haired man's fingers, twisting to be unleashed.

"No - no we don't,"
Yeva rushed with a terse laugh, waving nervously at those who watched at a distance, as if she could erase the suggestion all together. It didn't seem to soothe everyone's mind, some viewers opting to get reinforcements they could trust. Thankfully, the threat was just another bluff, yet she felt the need to continue, "We're just talking." While Yeva covered, whatever hold the earth around the suspect's feet softened and Balthazar began to drag him upwards, the redhead getting more nervous as she spotted other Elements making their way over. If they weren't doing anything wrong, why did she have the urge to run?

Oh, no! What would Lyari think?

Yeva couldn't go to prison. She was too soft! Didn't they know what would happen to someone like her in prison?

She chewed her lip, shifting her weight as she bounced her eyes between the men.

"Listen, it isn't how she says it is. The kid is mine."

"She said you would think as much." Balthazar remained unconvinced but didn't dismiss him. Yeva frowned, more convinced.

"But he is, he really is! Bertrand's abusive and a nub in the sack.

Yeva interjected, but to no avail, "-What's a nub?"

She glanced over, confused but piecing together the meaning. She just kept getting images of a cropped dog's tail, tiny, and admittedly a bit cute. That had to be bad, right? More questions were forming when she realized maybe it had to do with Bertrand's anatomy and her mouth shut quickly, face flaming. No, nub probably meant boring or something. Pay attention.

"Esme couldn't take it. She didn't want to be married off, but her old man didn't care. It was her idea to use my magic to trick Bertrand with the gold and we just... got close. The kid wasn't planned but I won't let that man raise my child."

'Wow.'

What a confession.

And... kind of romantic?

Yeva jolted when Balthazar started giving orders, the other Elements surprisingly coerced. Maybe they were aware of Balthazar's methods. He grumbled beside her while she absorbed the information. It happened kind of quickly once he started talking, and he had revealed the truth anyway.

It was a difficult decision, "She should be taken out of that house, escorted by authorities if possible," Yeva whispered solemnly, "You shouldn't fear your spouse..." What a tragic way to live. And now her true love and father of her child might go to prison for trying to protect them both? "I'll have to update the child's file at the Order. If that man's the father, than it will affect birth records... Not to mention any predispositions..." Yeva sighed, "We should see if she has any other family - preferably not her father, and it should be kept secret... So that Bertrand can't find them..."

Was crime solving always this bittersweet?

"I need to examine Elizabeth as well. If her husband's been beating her, who knows what damage she's been hiding. And that child is nothing short of a miracle." Yeva sighed, saddened, "This might be where we part ways. If you can follow up with the family on the abuse and those legal repercussions, I can monitor their health, put a note in their case for the Adunih to report any signs reminiscent of domestic violence, but that doesn't solve the issue.... She would need to divorce him."

Bertrand would likely need some degree mental counseling as well - abuse often doesn't start with the abuser. It's a parasitic cycle. They couldn't just let him go about harming his next wife. But there was no clean solution, no easy remedy. Yeva crossed her arms, "Egg Eater wouldn't have been my first choice, but I guess you can't control who you fall in love with."
word count: 807
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”