I Know His Name

Balthazar and Yeva work to stop a kidnapping.

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1830
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

I Know His Name

24 Ashan 720
"I'm sorry but maybe it would be better if I spoke with you both individually?" Balthazar suggested to the seamstress and her aging husband. The seamstress cast a glance to her husband that Balthazar thought was a little strange, almost as if asking for permission, and when her husband nodded Balthazar continued "Alright, sir if you could go check on your child-"

"We have a medic examining the boy already-"

"All the same I need the room." Balthazar urged and after a trill of defiance, the man nodded and went into his son's room. Then Balthazar turned to the seamstress and pulled his chair a little closer. "Alright, if we speak quietly he won't be able to hear you." Balthazar knew she was afraid, he'd attuned to her frequency and found the note of fear so prominent he hardly thought there was room for another note in her song. But he didn't know if it was fear of her husband, losing her child, or the mystical creature said to plague them. The seamstress seemed to ease at the thought that her husband could not hear them but there was still a little edge in her voice and fear in her frequency.

This was one of the first cases Balthazar had been given to solve since he was initiated into the Elements... well given was a loose term. He'd convinced the Element's in charge that he could help lighten their load a bit and they'd given him this case to start with. It seemed that a woman was being tormented by some form of mystical creature. Her story, as she'd explained it to Balthazar, went like this;

Elizabeth, the seamstress sitting with Balthazar, had been born into a poor family. Her parents were farmers and they weren't very good at it- at least not good enough to honestly compete with their neighbors. The mill they used for their grain seemed to eat more grain than it turned to flour. In fear of financial ruin, they began looking for a wealthier family to marry their daughter into. At the time Elizabeth had relished the idea that she would marry a wealthy man but as more and more suitors refused her, Elizabeth began to lose hope. Yet her father was tenacious and so while his daughter grew hopeless, he grew clever. When they met the next suitor, the man Balthazar had been introduced to as Elizabeth's husband Bertrand, her father lied and told him that she could spin hay into gold. Bertrand was naturally fascinated and to test the theory he locked her in a room full of straw and promised if she had spun it to gold by the next morning, he would marry her on the spot. If not, he'd stop at nothing until her father- and by extension her whole family, was run from Scalvoris.

Naturally Elizabeth was terrified. She could not do what her father had promised and so she wept and prayed to the Immortals for an answer. It came as a voice, a man's voice. It whispered softly through the walls that it would help her if she could give it a sacrifice. She offered all the jewelry she had, her mother's necklace and her late brother's badge (he was an Element who had died in service and out of respect the family had been allowed to keep the badge). The voice told her to go to sleep and so she did. When she woke up, all the straw in the room had been turned golden. Bertrand was delighted by this and married her the next day. They lived happily off the golden straw that the mysterious voice had made for a few years and her father's fortune was indeed restored... for a time. Elizabeth was with child the second time Bertrand locked her in a room filled with even more straw and told her to spin it into gold.

She cried again and prayed again, and the voice came back through the walls. Another sacrifice and the voice would do it again for her. She offered many of the things she'd bought with the golden straw from before but the voice wanted something else. Her firstborn child. Why? She didn't know why. It didn't say and she was too afraid to ask. She refused. He'll kill you. The voice played on her fear. He'll know you lied and he'll kill you. She refused. If he kills you, the child dies too. I will protect it. I will raise it. And so she caved, she promised her child to the voice and went to sleep as it told her to. When she woke, the straw had been turned golden.

They'd been living off that straw for some time when she finally had her child and a few breaks later, she'd begun seeing a man lurking around their home. That was when she filed the report with the Elements. In the time since while Bertrand was away working one night, the voice came back to her. It said that before the weeks end, it would have what had been promised. The woman pleaded with the voice and it wagered that if she could tell him his name in three trials, he would let her keep the child. That had been two trials ago and only now did the Elements get to helping her.

It was quite the story and Balthazar's mind was alight with possibilities, but before he could really say anything the door to the child's room opened and Bertrand stepped aside for the medic to come in.
Last edited by Balthazar Black on Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 960

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Yeva
Approved Character
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: I Know His Name

24 Ashan 720

"Hello, handsome boy. Aren't you just the sweetest thing? I could just eat you up," Gasp, "Yes I could! Yes, I cooould. You're so cute! Om nom, nom. Ooom nom nom!"

"It's a baby, Yeva, not a chocolate tart," Demaki straightened the scale, snorting in amusement at the redhead, who stood hunched over the new infant, distracted by the agonizingly tiny feet that kicked without understanding.

She did not even look up, brushing the back of her finger against the soft and wrinkled face of the tiny person, "I just love them so much," For a moment, it sounded as if this was painful to admit, such was the groan that emitted from her chest, "I really hope to be a mother someday. I think I'd like a girl... Or a boy... I guess it doesn't really matter. As long as they're healthy," she looked back down at the child, gently undoing the secure swaddling blanket as her voice rose three octaves, "Isn't the right? Aren't you just a good, strong boy?"

Underneath the blanket the child was bare save for a small cloth garment wrapped around its tiny waist and at once, his little face scrunched in discomfort from the fresh air, "Oh, I know it's cold, sweetness... This will only take a second. Promise. We just need to make sure you're all nice and healthy..." The poor child began to wail and it broke a sliver of Yeva's heart, "Shhh, shh, shh.... I've got you."

Just as the Order had taught her, she slipped a hand beneath the child's head to give it support, using her other to draw his body close to hers and scoop him into her arms. His head on her shoulder, she cradled his neck, his head covered in wispy strands, "He must have been born with hair," she commented, stepping over to where Demaki waited to take the baby's weight. From what she could tell, there were no outer signs of damage, but the family wanted reassurance just as well, "My mother told me I was born bald; No one believed I was a girl for a long time."

"Really? With that mane?"

Behind her, the door opened.

"Crazy, I know."

"Crazy? Is something wrong?"

Yeva turned at the sound of the father's voice resounding from the doorway while she slowly lowered the child onto the scale. Demaki took over and she waved her hands quickly, "Oh, no no. Everything is fine so far. Please," she motioned him closer, "So far we've given a physical examination. His heart rate seem normal. There are no obstruction of his breathing. My colleague here is taking your son's weight, but he looks just about as healthy as I would expect."

"There was a rash-"

"On his chest? That's actually quite common," Yeva glanced at Demaki who gave a reassuring nod, "Yes, it's often called pink pimples, or... sometimes neonatal acne. Basically, it's a rash believed to be caused by exposure to maternal hormones while still in the womb. Normally - at least from what I've read - it doesn't often show up for another seven trial or so, but I don't think it's any cause of concern. Certainly, it's nothing that was done to him," she moved over to grab her kit, holding up a folded cloth towel to demonstrate, "The best you can do is just wash his face with warm water every trial. His skin is still very sensitive, so I wouldn't recommend anything abrasive or chemically based. Lotions and creams, from the apothecary, can actually make the condition worse, so really, it's just a bit of patience. Nothing out the ordinary, but if you have any concerns..."

"Right," the man crossed his arms, watching his son's examination with a stern silence, "Thank you."

"Absolutely."

Demaki cleared his throat, scribbling out a the results on a piece of parchment for their records, "And... I think that's it for now. Yeva?"

"Hm? Oh, sorry!" she hurried forward to take the child and hand it off to the man. She began to gather their equipment, following after the duo while she tugged her faction cloak over her shoulder. Slipping out the door, Yeva offered medical advice and the difference between his son's condition and classic eczema, "Do you have any questions?"

They chatted for a trill longer and then the medic said her goodbyes, cooing at the child before looking up to seek the mother. And that's when she noticed the investigator, "Balthazar?" her mouth dropped, curling into a seamless smile of familiarity, "What are you doing here? Do you specialize in child cases?" she had heard a bit about the report to the Elements and, in truth, it had been a large reason in why she had begged her team to take this request specifically, but she hadn't expected to see the man.

She felt a nudge to her ribs and grimaced - "Ahem."

"Balthazar, this is-"

"Demaki Moonshore," a dark hand reached past her to extend towards the lawman, voice suddenly sikeln, "Mentor. Artist. Medicine man."

"Demaki's a colleague of mine - we're part of the same Adunih unit. And speaking of which," she shot the exotic biqaj a look of warning before brightening when she looked between the parents, "From our examination, everything seems in working order. Is there anything else we can do for the family?"

word count: 927
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720
Balthazar's head perked up some when he recognized Yeva's voice and he turned to find her, the husband who Balthazar had a very bad opinion of, and another man from the Order it seemed. It had been some time since he'd seen her though the case was not all that different than the one they'd been working on when they met. Well it was incredibly different, but it was also similar. In both cases children had been in danger, in both cases these two had answered the call. Balthazar half expected to find Darius coming out of the room with Yeva but no such luck. "I don't specialize but I do care more about a child in danger than a drunk in a bar." Before Balthazar could say anything more though, the fiery redhead's partner demanded introduction.Yeva did just that and confirmed what Balthazar had suspected since they left the room together. Then she asked the mother if there was anything she could to and Balthazar cut in-

"I believe that is where I come in." He said as he shook Demaki's hand. Balthazar's own would be unnaturally warm and shock him slightly when their skin first made contact but beyond that it would just be a firm handshake. "Balthazar Black. Detective, Defier, and Rupturer." He introduced himself in terms of profession followed by the magics he knew because he had always found that the question came up rather quickly after his warm shocking handshake. It was for that same reason, and because it was good to keep some secrets, that Balthazar didn't mention anything about being an Attuner. His handshake would give no indication of such and it was technically illegal for him to Attune to people so... he just didn't mention it.

"I've heard both of your stories now so I'm going to begin investigating. Don't mind me walking around." Balthazar said to the husband before turning to the wife. He leaned toward her and whispered something in her ear; a moment later the wife's head perked up. She looked around and pointed to a door in the corner of the room that had a lock on the door. "Could you open that for me?"

"Is it necessary?" The husband asked with a discontented look on his face.

"Yes. I need to see where it happened." Balthazar insisted and the husband grumbled something under his breath while he crossed the room to unlock the door. Balthazar turned his head to Yeva. "You have small hands, I might need that. Come with me for a moment?" Balthazar asked her, trying to separate Yeva from the other four in the room (the baby counts as one). Whether or not Yeva followed him into the room, Balthazar went in. This was the storage room where the wife had been locked away with her impossible task. There were a few mounds of golden hay still stacked in the corner of the room and Balthazar grabbed a handful to try and attune with while he waited for Yeva to join him.

If she joined him alone he would shut the door and say "Sorry for the deception but I didn't want them to overhear." If there were others with them, he would say nothing, however if Yeva was alone he would continue "The child is in danger. There is mage is threatening the child, I don't know what sort but I know this is not natural." He gestured to the golden hay. "And even if there wasn't a mage, the father is... short tempered."
Last edited by Balthazar Black on Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 612

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720

Demaki's eyes flickered between Balthazar's hand and his face, drawing back with a smile that seemed a little too broad since bits before, the investigator had implied the child they had been analyzing was in continued danger. When he had an opportunity, he beamed, "Giiiiirl," the blue cloak grabbed Yeva by the shoulder and began whispering into her ear, "You did not tell me you had friends like thiiiis."

"W-what do you mean?"

"I mean, I should have been a blacksmith. Maybe join the Crafters... Fates have mercy, his jawline could cut glass."

Yeva blinked, "Demaki, what are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about the hush hush faction in town. Technically, I think they're against magic, but... At least they strike when the iron's hot, and honey... it's hot," the Biqaj flashed a wink at the younger woman, the hand Balthazar had shook drawn against his heart.

"Wait-," there was a lot of information to process. Balthazar was here because the child they had been assigned to check on was in danger, he was also a mage, and not only did her teammate find the white-haired investigator attractive, but he apparently knew of some sort of secret anti-magic organization, "How do you know all that?"

While speaking to Demaki, Balthazar had set to work, requesting a door be unlocked. There was a strange tension in the room, and Yeva wasn't quite sure how to go about breaking it, until-

"You have small hands, I might need that. Come with me for a moment?"

"Me?" Yeva straightened, hesitating when she saw Demaki's jaw hit the floor, "Uh, sure. Yeah, ah- Just one moment," she cleared her throat, handing some of the paperwork to her partner, "Will you get this back to the branch? We've worked together before; it's a long story. But if he needs me, I better go. Do you mind taking care of the rest?"

"Hmm. Fine... But, if he has any other needs...I'm happy to be of service."

Demaki gave Yeva a look so mischievous, her cheeks flamed on the spot. Swallowing, she spun sharply on her heel and skipped to the room Balthazar had gone into, hesitating only when she had to squeeze past the husband with a small mumble of 'excuse me'. Inside, it was dimmer than the hall and smelled of dry cellar, "Sorry, Demaki can be kind of stra-"

Straightforward.
Balthazar closed the door, sealing away majority of the light and she had to blink several times for her eyes to adjust. Why were they here, alone? Yeva turned, catching glimpse of a pile of golden straw scattered around the floor while a sinking pit of concern seized her stomach, "What's going on?"

"The child is in danger. There is mage is threatening the child, I don't know what sort but I know this is not natural. And even if there wasn't a mage, the father is... short tempered."

Yeva stared at him and then back at the floor, "Short-tempered? Like... abusive?" Had she simply not noticed? At once, the woman began turning over their previous encounters that day, trying to remember any tone of voice, any look that might have been problematic, and then, "Wh... Wha...."

There was a lot to catch up on, and yet here he was, trusting her enough to include her in his investigation, "Do you have any leads?" Yeva took a few cautious steps towards the hay and gathered the fabric of her cloak before lowering into a crouch to try and get a better look. It was then she noticed that the stalks were not just golden in color, but gold, "When did you learn all this and...w-where did all this come from?"

She looked up and over her shoulder, quite determined now that she learned someone innocent was at risk, "I hope you know I'm going to help."

word count: 667
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720
Balthazar almost disregarded Demaki completely after the base introductions had been complete. All of his attention seemed to have been diverted towards the husband and wife pair. There was a tension between them that made it seem- to Balthazar at least, that they were trying to hide something from him... but he had the benefit of Attunement to tip him off to some of the more subtle things and his cynically developing mind seemed to do the rest. With more time or a less serious case Balthazar might have noticed and commented on Demaki's behavior, but his focus here was helping protect the woman's child.

When Yeva seemed surprised that Balthazar thought Bertrand was abusive, the mage stood ready to defend his assertion. "The mother, Elizabeth, told me she was afraid of him." More or less. "It's a... long story. I sent the father to check on you so I could speak with Elizabeth alone and she explained it." Balthazar said, not quite sure how to summarized the information he'd gotten from the mother for Yeva. She wasn't an Element, she was just a... friend? Balthazar liked to bounce ideas off of people and he trusted Yeva enough to think she could keep a secret. Yet subconsciously Balthazar was also looking to build his network. Yeva worked with the Order, she could be useful if he needed something from them. "It's complicated but apparently her father told her husband she could spin hay into gold so her husband has locked her in here at least twice to do just that." Balthazar gestured to the mounds of "gold" around them. "Only she didn't know how. So she prayed to the Immortals for help and 'a voice' told her that it could help in return for a sacrifice. Now I doubt she got a direct response from and Immortal but the walls aren't that thick... could have been someone talking through the wall." Balthazar gave Yeva a moment to process as he walked about the room, trying to memorize every corner.

"The first time she gave up some family heirlooms. The second time it forced her to promise her child. She said she did because she was afraid what her husband would do if he found out she'd lied to him. So the mage- I'm going to assume it's a mage, turned the hay to gold for her." Balthazar shifted the hay in his hand a little bit and then held it up for Yeva could see it. Yes ,indeed it looked exactly like the metal that was known to many as gold. Yes, it seemed harder like gold would too. But when a small spark danced from Balthazar's hand to the hay, it lit ablaze like any other old hay would have. Balthazar shook the burning hay out quickly and then offered the crisp remains to Yeva to examine. "Only it isn't really turning into gold. It just looks gold." How had he come to that conclusion? Well Balthazar was almost a walking Tesla coil and when he touched the gold, it hadn't shocked him at all. He almost always got shocked when he touched metal. The burning just confirmed his suspicion. "So we're dealing with a mage who can make things look different but not really change them." Balthazar summarized. He'd put this together relatively quickly based on the initial things he'd seen and the fairly compelling story that the woman had told him.

"I figured you'd help, that's why I looped you in." Balthazar responded to Yeva when she made her intention to lend aid known. "I don't have much in terms of lead... only that whoever turned the hay to gold was here on several occasions." Balthazar admit. "But two trials ago the voice told the woman that it would spare her child if she could name the voice. So we have a little less than twelve breaks to figure out who's voice taunts Elizabeth. After that we may have to resort to... less comfortable methods." Balthazar was not one to suggest using a newborn as bait... but if they couldn't find the voice before the voice found the child, the baby would be bait anyways.
word count: 723

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720

"She told you that? Wait- he locked her in here? That's not okay," None of it was. A husband marrying off his daughter, not wholly uncommon, but to a man who would physical imprison the woman in the other room? Yeva struggled to find the words between the emotional outrage she was forced to surpress. If Balthazar was correct and the walls were thin, she would have to keep her voice down. Especially if anything said could put the mother or child in further danger, "Of course she wouldn't know how to do that, that's insane! Hay to gold!"

It was a complete mystery, "Balthazar, I don't know anything about mages... I mean... a boy in Rharne once mentioned using magic, but I- I- I don't know anything about it. What do we do?" Magic or Immortal, none of this was familiar to her. She searched the man's face, the one Demaki had been so enamored with. All she could think about was the newborn and whether or not the family was in trouble. If it wasn't some deranged man lurking in the dark, it was the one who slept in the room next door he would one day call father, "Do we... ya know."

Yeva lifted her eyebrows, tucked her chin to imply suggestion, "You know?"

She waited to see if he would understand, adding a bit of emphasis to her body language before clearing her throat, and smacking the back of her hand to an open palm as she rose to her feet, "Give a warning?" It was quite clear in that moment, Yeva had never done anything of the sort and she lifted her arms defensively, trying to keep her voice a whisper, "I might be from Rharne, but I can't just let him hurt her! And... whoever is doing all this-"

Her voice broke off as she tried to understand the situation they had found themselves in. In the report she had overheard, there was mention of a mysterious figure seen lurking, but nothing so sinister and drawn out. How could the woman barter her child unless things were dire! Now there was fake gold, "Very well. Twelve breaks. We can do this," she was talking more for herself and to fight the sense of urgency that begged to unravel her confidence, "I'll go outside. I'm going to speak to you, see if you can hear me. Maybe we can figure out where the walls are thinnest, if there is any way to see inside that the woman wouldn't know about. The mage had to have known she was in trouble, right? Someone she might have known personally?"

word count: 456
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720
"She told me, yes, but I haven't heard from the father." Balthazar said to Yeva when she expressed her disapproval of the father's actions. Balthazar didn't think it was alright by any means either, but he also didn't entirely believe it so he was more willing to let that detail slip. When the victim's story seemed like a fairy tale it was hard to judge the facts of the event. Elizabeth could have been romanticizing a lot of her experience. When Yeva further expressed her shock and befuddlement at the husband's behavior Balthazar raised a had to suggest she take a second to calm herself. "Of course not, but her father promised the husband she could." The whole circumstance should be blamed on the father in Balthazar's current view... though the mage who demanded a child was not much better.

Then Yeva made her suggestion. Balthazar raised a curious brow. Did they what? Yeva repeated those two words and tucked her chin. Balthazar furrowed his brow. No Yeva, I won't kill him for you. Balthazar thought the words he was getting ready to speak and then Yeva made her intentions more clear. She meant beat him into submission! Balthazar's furrowed brow would suddenly loosen as the revelation washed over him. "I though you were asking me to kill him!" Balthazar exclaimed in a whisper as he leaned closer to Yeva. He laughed and took a moment to compose himself. "I'll give him plenty warning once we handle the person coming after his child." Balthazar confirmed. He was a lawman, but he'd been a Yari long before that and he'd have done far worse to men for doing what Bertrand had done to his wife.

"That's actually where I think her story falls apart." Balthazar said as Yeva suggested she go outside so they can figure out which parts of the room had the thinnest walls. "I don't know if I believe what she said about the voice in the walls. We can do your experiment, but I think we should go ask around town and see if anyone saw Elizabeth hanging around with odd individuals. It probably is someone she knew personally." Balthazar said before waiting for Yeva do go through with her test.

"Fortunately for you, Yeva, I have spent a lot of time learning about magic." Balthazar said when Yeva expressed her general lack of knowledge about the domains in their world. "I'm not sure it will matter though. We know what does matter, this individual's magic turned hay golden but didn't change it's natural properties for the most part. I can ask around to figure out what that means I know a few people."
word count: 468

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720

"Kill him!? Yeva gasped as her face turned an electric pink, shocked and horrified as Balthazar laughed, either at her poor communication or simply his misunderstanding. She had to admit, there was a bit of humor to it, "I could never ask for something so direct! And that's... that's...Gods, could you imagine?" she held one palm against her flushed cheek, relieved when he said he would give warning in the appropriate time.

A good fight was certainly not murder....

An idea suddenly popped into her head. Was Balthazar even allowed to hurt someone else? Yeva realized she had no solid concept of his profession. He had openly admitted to knowing at least two types of magic, and he favored investigation work, and yet he considered shifting the rules to favor his own ideals. At once, she was reminded of the mystery novels she had read back in the Lightening city, examining Balthazar with fresh eyes.

A hardened detective with an even harder past, forged by the fires of his own turmoil. Good at cracking cases, even better at catching the evil he faces-

Balthazar was waiting and Yeva snapped the pensive look from her eyes, back in the old cellar and not at an imaginary back-alley stoop illuminated by a single lantern post. Yeva was not fully familiar with him, but she was sure he would strike a compelling character in a grim mystery novel.

"Hm? What? Oh, right! We're experimenting!" she clapped her hands together and jumped into action rather animatedly, "I'm gonna go make some noise, then we can go crack some skulls..." she jumped towards the door and then stopped to look over her shoulder, "But maybe not really, because head trauma can be rather... hmm- you know what? Never mind. We can just talk about it later."

Yeva headed towards the door and paused to see if Balthazar would say anything more before walking out herself. To her surprise, Demaki was still there, chatting with both parents, none-the-wiser, "Yeva," he cooed upon hearing her rejoin them, "Did your small hands make quick work?"

"Ah, something like that," her eyes flickered between the family and her co-worker as she edged towards the door. She tried to remain as inconspicuous as possible, but she kept imagining the woman getting locked away and the man angry, "I'll... be right back."

Demaki's brows furrowed, "Where are you going?"

"Is everything alright?" the mother asked, rubbing small circles on the infant's back.

"Just checking something!" she rushed out, not sure how much she should reveal. She was a poor authority figure, but an even worse liar. If they asked too many questions and she didn't have someone helping her dodge them, she could put the operation at risk, "Er, fresh air. Just need some fresh air!"

Outside, Yeva took a deep breath and rounded the corner, sighing in relief when no one followed her. That was good. Now, it was time to get to business. She circled the structure, mentally hoping to map the location of the locked room and knocked the stone. Her fingers felt at the house materials, and she tried to speak, first at a normal tone, "Can you hear me?" she pressed her ear against the stone to listen, wincing at the cold, and then tried again, moving further along the house, idly looking around for signs of footprints or disturbance. She asked a few more times, tapping her chin in thought.

Maybe it would be good to get in character? To try and understand the motive of the villain, "Give me your baby," she grumbled, trying her best to make her voice both a whisper and somewhat gravelly. Was it bad she assumed the unknown mage to be male? "Abra-ka-dabra."

word count: 642
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720
Balthazar couldn't help but laugh at Yeva's reaction to his statement about thinking she wanted him to kill Bertrand but he stifled it quickly when he realized that the walls were still thin and it would probably send the wrong message if the man investigating a threat to your child was laughing in the room he was supposed to be examining... especially when Bertrand hadn't wanted to let him in in the first place. "I'm sorry, I've spent too much time in Almund." Balthazar said with a gesture to his head as if to indicate Almund had made him a little more violent. It was certainly not as decent a place as Scalvoris Town and as Yeva might have the unfortunate ability to witness later, Balthazar definitely took cues from Almund in terms of his investigative style. All the same, Yeva seemed to snap out of her own thoughts and remember the experiment she'd suggested after a few trills of staring at Balthazar.

He wasn't quite sure what she was thinking while she was looking at him, but Balthazar's curiosity definitely rose so he did something a good person might not have- he began attuning to Yeva's frequency. In his time with the magic he'd learned that while you didn't quite get to read the subject's thoughts, their frequency could tell you a lot about what was going on upstairs if you knew all the right notes. Yet he wasn't quite able to attune to her before Yeva left the room and so Balthazar was left with only a vague shape of her frequency and a rather funny thought from Yeva about head fractures. He smiled but knew better than to laugh this time as the door had been opened. About a bit later, Balthazar did indeed hear a voice. He heard Yeva ask if he could hear her.

"Yes. Can you hear me?" But it seemed that Yeva didn't hear him that time. Interesting. If he could hear her in the room but she could not hear him outside then the culprit couldn't have been where she was when she said that... right? He wasn't certain until he heard Yeva get into character. Another chuckle escaped the mage and he leaned towards the wall. "I can hear you. Stay where you are if you can hear me." Balthazar instructed before leaving the storage room that Elizabeth had reportedly been locked in twice. He walked out into the main room with Demaki, Bertrand, Elizabeth, and their child and folded his hands behind his back.

"According to Elizabeth, we have twelve breaks left before your son will be put in any real danger and now I have some promising leads. Demaki, would it be too much to ask you to stay with the family. I just want to be sure that nobody gets hurt while I'm away." Balthazar looked from Elizabeth to Bertrand as he spoke those words- a sharp edge in his voice. Before Demaki would really be able to respond he continued "Thank you, I'll be back in a few breaks. Don't let anyone in or out of the house while I'm away." and Balthazar was out of the house. He came around the building until he saw Yeva and approached her.

"I've told your friend to stay with the family while we're away." Balthazar summarized. He looked at the ground where Yeva was for any sign of tracks that could lead them somewhere but the land was two trials old and Balthazar was not a great hunter. Though one supposes human feet didn't qualify as hunting... it sure felt like it to Balthazar. There were too many sets, Yeva's included, going in too many directions and worse of all they were all faded. "So we know the mage stood here because this is were we were able to communicate through the wall. We don't know where he went from here, but I have an idea." Balthazar pointed at a set of about two dozen different scuff marks leading out into the city. They weren't ever fully formed footprints, but they went out into the city where Balthazar assumed anyone would have gone. "Come on, I know a good tavern where the bartender is a little too nosy and likes to chat." Balthazar said before departing the house on foot.

He didn't leave much time for Yeva to ask questions or agree, he just went. There was a rush that came with the investigation that kept Balthazar moving- trying to get to the end of the trial of clues so he could solve the presented mystery. It was... fun.
word count: 800

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Marks

Scars

Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

24 Ashan 720

Outside, lurking about, Yeva hummed idly in between tests, not sure if this was working until she heard Balthazar's voice reverberate back, "Oh! I can hear you! Can you still hear me?" A bit excited, she moved close to the wall where his voice had been the clearest and waited, just as she was told, craning her neck to try and remember the exact spot in question. It seemed to take the detective a considerable amount of time, given the distance, but she still smiled when she heard his footsteps approaching.

She was about to ask what next, but he cut her to the chase, revealing that Demaki would be staying back, "I'm sure I'll hear about that later," the bold Biqaj wasn't exactly someone she was well acquainted with, but they had worked together a few different occasions on Order business and he was nice, if not a little more expressive about certain things than she was, "What should I tell him?" she asked, falling into step beside him, "I mean, I don't want to compromise anything in your... investigation," her voice was near a whisper when she said the word, "Isn't that rule with these things? I read a lot of books... Maybe too many. The library here is really nice. In Rharne, so many of the books have ale stains or worse..." Cracking a smile, she quieted as they walked and would listen should Balthazar speak. The mention of her home strummed a note of homesickness that took her by surprise, imagining her family and their modest house.

Maybe she would write a letter later; tell the she was safe and how much she missed them. The sight of the tavern might have been different, but there was a familiarity to it, "Should we go in together or separate? You're in charge here."

word count: 316
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”