• Solo • Hidden Gems

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Roland Demira
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Broker
Renown: 77
Character Sheet
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Hidden Gems

Fourth of Ashan, 720

Slogging through snow was generally expected in Cylus, but in these first few trials of Ashan, Roland had hoped for a little less than drifts in Proper. He had plenty to do, however, so a little snow wasn't going to stop him. At least it wasn't the unending blizzard of twilight that had mostly ceased. He had a lot on his mind, considering the times that had passed since he had really done much of anything. After his 'adventure' at the docks a few arcs ago, where he had to kill a man and almost had his throat slashed, he had retreated to Egilrun, to home and the life he had forgotten. He had just wanted to strike out on his own, make a name for himself, normal things that young men want to do. He was just fortunate to have a family to go back to when it fell through. Some weren't.

He had spent much of that time doing general labor and chores and remembering who he was. He was a son of Egilrun, the island that truly held much of the lifeblood of Scalvoris before the Academy showed up to miraculously heal the ignorance of the Scalvs. A curl of lip came with the thought. There had been a lot of talking in the communal housing and workspaces of the crafters of Egilrun. Many there believed that Scalvoris had got on just fine without the insurgence of the Academy and its assistance. Their way of life was being usurped by the supposed betterment of their ilk by foreigners. At least the Pirate Lords were clear in their intentions. It was time for Roland Demira to return to society and make his mark for the sons and daughters of Scalvoris.

This particular breezy but warmer trial, he found himself approaching a standard of Scalvoris Proper, Little Korlasir. The shop was well known by the populace as being the place to go for smithing needs but also for jewelry and engraving as well. If there was a man that could aid Roland in his efforts to learn how to become a great broker, it would be Hurk. Out in front of the shop was a younger man that wasn't shoveling the snow so much as moving it around and sighing a good deal. When Roland approached, the young man stepped back and stood next to his shovel, surprised to see a customer. "Good morning, Sir. My father's inside." Roland looked the lad in the eye and grinned. "Thank you. Helping your father clean up and get ready for Ashan?", he asked, noticing the young man's gaze floating away down the lane. When Roland looked behind him, he noticed a particularly buxom young woman shaking out sheets. Grinning he looked back and clapped the kid on the shoulder. "It's in the air, that's for sure."

Stepping inside the business, the heat washed over him, a pleasant sensation in the face of the general cold of the exterior. The large proprietor, looked up quickly from his work and Roland wave his hand in greeting. "Good morning, Sir.", he offered, looking around at the various wares. "Good mornin to you, Sir. How does the day find you?" The smith stepped away from his forge and walked up to Roland, his arm outstretched, though he looked at the soot on his hands before reaching out. Roland did not hesitate to take the man's hand and grasp it firmly, though not nearly with the strength of Hurk. His eyes remained locked with the smith's as he shook hands and smiled. "I'm Hurk, welcome to Little Korlasir." Roland nodded in acceptance. "Roland Demira of Egilrun. Pleased to meet you." The handshake broke and Hurk seemed to relax at the mention of Egilrun.

"Been a break since I heard someone claim their town. Most that come through here are either known or upstarts from Viden." Roland chuckled and nodded. "Yes, Sir. Born and raised. Folks are glassblowers. I myself am an aspiring broker. I hoped to discuss your wares and the possibilities of learning about them from an expert." Hurk was stoking the fires of the forge, his countenance remaining unchanged, though he was listening. "Not a customer, then?", he said from the side of his mouth. Roland sucked at his teeth while remaining upright. "I certainly could buy something, if need be, but I was hoping more for an exchange of ideas or services. While I clearly have little to offer outside of nels, I do bring enthusiasm and the desire to learn."
word count: 773
Roland Demira
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Broker
Renown: 77
Character Sheet
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: Hidden Gems

Hurk took a long drink of water and wiped his brow. "Well, if you could get some of that to rub off on Carl, that would be helpful. Boy just cares about chasing skirt and frolicking about. Makes the prospect of passing the craft down difficult." Roland looked at the door, a wry grin crossing his features. "We're not that far apart in age, I can certainly give it a go." He stepped closer to the bar between them. "It's just vital to me to learn from the masters in Scalvoris as opposed to the Academics. We've been just fine with our ways and if there was no Academy and I was a broker, I would still seek you out as you no doubt have the expertise in dealing with gems and jewelry. I like to keep it local."

Something about this seemed to elicit a spark in the smith's eye. The muscular man stepped up to his own side of the bar and seemed to size Roland up. "What's been going on in Egilrun lately?" Had Master Hurk's words been anymore pointed, Roland would have expected them to come fresh from the anvil. "Well, the workhouse is abuzz with hope for a profitable season, of course. Also, there's been some talk that some outside force has been pressuring you to close up shop. I can only imagine the source being foreign. No true Scalvoran would ever want you to close. Of course, that's just my opinion." Hurk's features softened, though Roland couldn't tell if his mention of the rumor had stung the man or angered him. Considering the size of his arms, hopefully the former. "Well, there are many different folks out there with different opinions. If you truly are a Scalvooran with the blood of our forefathers intact, you will know that the things we make on this island are made with free hands."

Something about the way that Hurk said that last part, the way his eyes hardened and his lips formed the words, made it clear to Roland that those words had a meaning, though he wasn't quite sure of them. "Yes, Sir. It is my aim that those hands remain free and our local crafts are what are sold in the markets over foreign ware. Once I can procure my own business, I will make sure that Scalvoran wares such as your own remain in the forefront, as they should be." Hurk nodded a knowing nod, stepping back to his anvil. "I've got some orders to finish today, so I won't be able to speak much more on your proposals, but if you return another day, I'm sure that we can seek some kind of arrangement."

It was clear to Roland that he was being asked to leave at the moment, but not in the way he was asked to leave from the Knight's Rest. "Very good, then. I will return soon and we can speak more. I do thank you for your time, Master Hurk." He gave a slight bow and turned to walk out of the smithy when the voice came back from behind him, causing Roland to turn on his heel. "There are a group of us with a like mind as yourself. We are known as the Crafters. You will know we are Crafters because are wares are made with free hands." Again, the phrase. It would be one that Roland remembered, listened for and used sparingly, especially in a land encroached by foreigners.
word count: 598
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”