A Birthtrial to Forget

Balthazar has a fun birthtrial

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Leader of The Black Cats
Renown: 1830
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

A Birthtrial to Forget

21 Ashan 720
"My friend, Bert, the large stuffed bunny, thinks that you're being rude" Balthazar jabbed his thumb back to point at the air behind himself. The bar patron beside him cast a sideways glance at the alcohol reeking Balthazar who seemed to sway on the stool he was sitting on. Balthazar had come to celebrate his birthtrial with Isabella but she was running late. Maybe she'd missed the ship she was meant to get on? Maybe she'd changed her mind? Or been attacked as sea? The end result was the same, Balthazar got drunk alone on his birthtrial.

"Well I'm sorry about that." The man with a mop of blonde hair on his head replied before trying to turn away from Balthazar. How dare he turn away? Balthazar was talking to him! Balthazar grabbed the man by the shoulder and turned him around in his stool forcefully.

"I think you're being rude too." Balthazar added with a stern look. The man with the mop of blonde hair narrowed his eyes at Balthazar who narrowed his eyes back. "I can squint too." Balthazar turned to the empty air behind him. "What do you think, Bert? Should I kick his ass?" Balthazar gestured to the blonde and then when he turned the blonde socked him in the face. Balthazar slipped off his stool and crashed onto the floor with a groan and a thud. He held his nose slightly as blood began to trickle out of it. Balthazar stood up slowly "Ow... he hit me... get him, Bert!" With a thrust of his hand and a small call on his spark, a large gust of wind flung the patron across the room.

"Ha! Did everyone see that?" Balthazar looked around as in surprise as the other patrons of the bar seemed to rise from their chairs. The blonde had knocked over a table with two other men sitting behind it and now they were hoisting him up to deliver a beating on their own. The rest of the bar was not far behind the chaos. "Protect me, Bert!" Balthazar called out as other brawling patrons closed in on him... and the battle began.

The wind around the Defier began to churn and as the patron's neared Balthazar their eyes widened but they didn't stop on their charge. Balthazar kicked a drunk to his left into another man and then felt his Rupture spark warn him of a fist closing in from behind. Balthazar ducked, unintentionally sticking his backside out so suddenly that it bumped into the man who's swing hand missed and knocked him into the bar. Meanwhile Balthazar fell forward into an explosion-

Well it sounded like an explosion. The spinning floor in front of the mage began to spark and then it turned into dirt- wait no it didn't! It was a portal! He remembered portals... even drunk as a sand muncher. Balthazar rolled onto his back and kicked his legs up in the air in case someone was coming to fight him but he struck only air. He looked around wildly and what he saw filled him with a giddy joy.

"Isabella!" Balthazar shouted with glee as he tried to do a starfish kip up to impress her- but he legs swung a lot more than he planned and he ended up somehow on his stomach. Oh well... Balthazar pushed himself off the ground and went for a hug but Isabella help a hand out to stop him.

"Dust off." She said. Balthazar looked down at his clothing and did as the woman ordered. Seven pats and a wiggle later, he went in for a hug again and Isabella embraced him. She smiled when their hug hid her face from Balthazar. He smiled the whole time. When the embrace ended Isabella hid her smile with a stern look. "You smell awful."

"You were late." Balthazar replied with a limp gesture to the position of the sun in the sky.

"Nobody's perfect." Isabella replied with a shrug. Then she took Balthazar's arm and began leading him away from the bar where he'd set a brawl lose. "Come on, I know a tavern where a new bard is singing tonight."

"Goodbye, Bert!" Balthazar called back to the bar.

"Who's Bert?"

"My new best friend, met him while you were late."

"Are you gonna be on that all night?"

"Are you gonna be on that all night?"

"Stop that."

"Stop that."

Isabella slapped Balthazar's arm. "Ow, fine!" Balthazar surrendered. He tried to keep himself upright as they walked the rest of the way to the tavern. "So who's the new bard?"

"You." Isabella replied. Balthazar laughed but the woman beside him didn't give an inch. When his laugh faded he realized she was serious.

"What? Why?" They arrived at the outside of a tavern that Balthazar could hear was full of people. Loud people. Drunk people from the smell of it. Oh he didn't want to do this.

"I wrote a poem." Isabella replied. Balthazar immediately understood that meant she wanted him to read it to the crowd but he shook his head, accidentally unbalancing himself a little as he did.

"You wrote a poem? Okay, great, you read it to them."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I'm scared."

"You're scared? I'm scared! You know I can't read standing still!"

"So walk around you coward!"

"Coward! You coward!" Balthazar crossed his arms and Isabella played the card she knew would always work. She tilted her head slightly, batted her eyes a few times and said,

"Please, Balthazar? For me?" And the drunk bastard melted like ice in a fire. Half a break later he was standing in front of a crowd with about seven more drinks in him than before, holding a thin piece of parchment with Isabella's poems scribbled on it. Balthazar read it, trying his best not to screw up the rhythm... but he was very drunk and not a poet.

"My... eyes... sorry..." Balthazar stopped and took a step back, then forward. He rocked slowly through the rest of the reading so that he could see the letters stop moving enough to make out what Isabella had written. She stood in the crowd without anything other than anticipation in her expression.

"My lover's eyes are something like the sun;" Balthazar paused. He looked up from the poem to Isabella in the back of the crowd who gestured for him to continue. He could feel he knees shaking now, but he did.
"Coral is far more red than his lips' red;
If snow glow white, why then his breast does too;
If hairs be feathers, white feathers grow on his head."
Balthazar paused again and gave Isabella another look. What the hell was that? Feathers? But she gestured for him to read on and he did.
"And in some perfumes is there more delight
Than in the breath that from my lover reeks.
I love to hear him speak, yet well I know
That music hath a far more pleasing sound;
I grant I never saw a Immortal go;
My lover when he walks treads on the ground.
And yet, by Untold, I think my love is rare
As any he belied with false compare."
As the poem came to an end Balthazar's eyes were a particular misty that he didn't understand but he knew one thing. Isabella didn't write that. She wasn't a poet... and he didn't care. He loved it... and her. The poem was met with some applause and some stares... it was an odd one after all but to him it meant the world.

Balthazar stepped into the crowd and made his way to Isabella who stood smiling. "What did you think?"

"You didn't write that." Balthazar replied with a small grin. Isabella rolled her eyes and gave a small laugh.

"Of course not, I found it in a book and changed some of the words. What did you think though?" Isabella asked. Balthazar smiled, for the first time it seemed like he had her around his finger and it was... cute. He wanted to make her wait forever for an answer but he couldn't, he gave in.

"I loved it." He said as he stepped closer to Isabella, moving his arm to the small of her back and pulling her in for a kiss. There was a small shock when their lips met that caused Balthazar to move his head back a little, his mutation at work- but Isabella's hand slid up to the back of his neck to his and she pulled him in. It was... amazing. It made standing in front of that damn crowd totally worth it.

Then some drunk ruined it by clapping and going "Yeah! You get it poem boy!" Balthazar gave the man what could only really be called a drunken death stare and Isabella grabbed Balthazar's hand to walk him outside.

It was good to get some fresh air, it helped with the nerves. Isabella and Balthazar walked together in silence, with far too much tension between them now. After what felt like a thousand arcs to Balthazar, Isabella bumped him with her elbow. "Hey, happy birthtrial."
word count: 1563

Visible Mutations/ Marks

Mutations
Defiance: Skin always glows faintly and he is warm to the touch. His is also the center of a field of static electricity so people get shocked touching him on occasion.
Rupturing: Orange etheric cracks spider-web up his arms to his elbows. His eyes and the glowing cracks going down his cheeks glow dark blue.
Transmutation: He has a series of emerald, glowing cracks on his right pectoral.
Marks
Bellinos: His fingernails are always black. The color fades into his fingers.
Celarion: A dim glowing ring surrounds his left forearm.
Palenon: A silver lightning shaped mark about the size of a hand stretching up towards his torso.

Scars

• Oops, Oops, Ouch: Balthazar Black has twenty scars across his back from a lashing as well as scars on his hands and arms from jagged rocks on Faldrass. There are two scars on the sides of his abdomen from being stabbed and a slash across his back which blends in with the whip scars.
Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Renown: 666
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Re: A Birthtrial to Forget

Birthdayazar

Experience: 10 (5 xp may be spent on Defiance Magic. I gave partial magic experience because you're a master, using a novice technique and not much else from what I can tell.)

Knowledge:

Defiance (Dancing): Moving the Elements with you
Endurance x 1
Socialization x 2
Acrobatics x 2

Renown: 5 for getting in a bar fight and celebrating your birthtrial in a public place.

Skill Usage: Mostly appropriate to level. While pcs are more or less allowed to like each other, you'll either want to up your socialization or seduction to entice npcs. Still, not serious enough to warrant a penalty. But keep an eye on it.

Loot/Losses: none

Injuries/Conditions: Scrapes and bruises from bumping things and a small fight. Your muscles will be tender for a couple days.

Consequences: You'll probably want to find a different watering hole after that scene. Or else pay the bartender for the mess.

Comments: This was a fun thread, different but with the same old kind of action that Balth tends to get up to. I'd almost call it a slice of life thread if it weren't for the bar fight with magic that unfolded...

The poem was nice, but Isabella should be ashamed for plagiarizing it while changing a word here or there. Call the copyright police!

Nah but it was nicely composed. Good thread and enjoy the points.

If you have any concerns about this review, please PM me about them.
word count: 249
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”