A very fine fiddle had she.....

Support the healers and don't stop fiddling

17th of Cylus 720

Beyond the city of Rharne lies the Stormlands, which is home to a number of farms, forests, fields, Lake Lovalus, and the River Zynyx. This subforum also includes the Stormwastes to the south.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1749
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

A very fine fiddle had she.....

17th Cylus, 720
Vega was not - even at the best of times - a good patient.

This was not - it was fair to say - the best of times. "Look, I'm fine, I heal right fast, an' you've got people here who are really sick," she said and she gestured to the 'out there' place that was beyond this room. The healer shook her head. "Just one more stitch, and you can go," Vega, frankly, had only come here because if she didn't Arlo would fuss. He was like a mother hen pecking about the place and she was more than prepared to grumble and grouse quite significantly. The healer, however, looked up and smiled, "all done."

And Vega realised how tired the woman looked. "Thanks," she said, pulling her blouse down over the (to her mind) small cut in her arm. It was fair enough, infection would be rife in this place if they didn't take precautions, she supposed, so she stopped her grousing and smiled. "You been busy?" The healer nodded and just for a moment she looked like she might be about to burst into tears. Vega frowned slightly and raised a questioning eyebrow. At first, the healer didn't respond but Vega simply did not drop her gaze.

"There's not enough of us, not enough supplies and the people are ... things are desperate." The healer was a young woman, Vega realised, maybe twenty. The usually-obnoxious redhead put her hand on the healer's arm. "What's your name?" Vega asked and the young woman replied, 'Hannah. My name is Hannah." Vega nodded. "Would it help if I brought some music here?" Vega asked, and Hannah looked at her with interest. "You play?" Vega nodded. "I do. Fiddle, mostly, but I can play most anythin' it seems." That was true. To her, it was almost second nature and Hannah smiled at her. "Would you help us with something?"

Vega nodded, happy to do so and Hannah bade her to wait there. Vega did and then the healer came back. In her hands, Hannah held a very odd instrumentImage, the like of which Vega had never seen. She smiled in delight as Hannah handed it to her, and she realised, "But it's a fiddle. Jus' not one like I've ever seen before," her hands were gentle - reverent almost - "This is well old, it's beautiful, it really is." Hannah watched and nodded.

"It's a lap-fiddle, it's a Scalvoris instrument, apparently. You play it with a bow, but instead of pressing with your fingers ..." Vega was already hanging the strap on it around her and pressing the keys, "Yeah, I got it, this makes such a deep sound, it's beautiful," she said softly as she began to play. Hannah watched in amazement as Vega drew out a slow and mournful tune. "You've never seen one of these before?" Vega shook her head. "It's lovely," she said, starting to take it off, and Hannah shook her head.

"We have a patient, at the moment, he's dying. He asked for this to be brought from his things, it was his wife's, she used to play it," Vega nodded her head thoughtfully. "Would it help him, d'ya think, if I played for him?" Hannah looked at the red-haired woman and there was relief on her face. "I think he'd like that. Very much. Are you alright with being around people who are unwell?"

Vega smiled and shrugged slightly. In that moment she had to answer, and that answer might reveal her as a nice person, which would never do. So, she shrugged. "I don't mind - I'm usually anti-social no matter who it is, but this instrument is a thing of beauty, so it is." Hannah looked at Vega and smiled. "It would help, it would help a lot. Thank you."

And so, they went to one of the wards in this makeshift, temporary hospital.
word count: 672

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Vega
Approved Character
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1749
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: A very fine fiddle had she.....

17th Cylus, 720
There is a certain type of person who is a good medic. Compassionate, honest, but strong and stubborn - determined and able to empathise, but not so involved that they will take it on themselves. Theoretically, Vega was that kind of person, but the truth was that she would make a truly, utterly abysmal healer. Because the thing that she didn't have was any bloody patience - generally - and especially no patience with people who were stupid or ill. One of the things with places like this, of course, was that a lot of times, people here were here because they were stupid in the first place, and that had made them ill.

And so that was what Vega told herself. She wasn't good at this. She didn't care. But that mantra wouldn't have fooled Arlo for a moment, and in truth, mostly she wasn't even fooling herself. The soft-hearted woman hated the idea of people dying or , somehow, that there was something she couldn't fix. That was the thing. Vega was an action-orientated person and the thought that she couldn't put right something was just too much for her sometimes.

So, she made her way behind Hannah and she felt an almost-physical pain in the pit of her stomach at the sight which greeted her. There was a ward - a room with eight beds, and in each one were people engaged in dying. There was no doubting it, as far as she could see, they were all about to meet Pier and Pre, and there was nothing that the healers here could do. Hannah led her over to the bedside of an elderly man - his watery pale eyes looked at her and he smiled. "I don't know you," he said, his voice a whisper. Vega gave a smile and shook her head. "I'm a musician, an' they showed me this. I thought you might like it if I played it a bit?" He gasped and she watched as his trembling hand reached for hers, their fingers entwining for a moment. He couldn't speak, he was too overwhelmed with emotion, but he nodded.

Vega sat down and she placed the lap-fiddle on her lap. She was about to start, when he spoke in his soft and wheezing voice. "My wife. ... she had red hair, too." Vega shot him a grin. "Foul tempered an' cantankerous?" There was no denying it, so she asked it and he chuckled and nodded. "She was. Fierce. Protective. Kind." The expression on Vega's face was watchful and compassionate. She looked at him, "I'm called Vega," she said, and he nodded. "Frank. My wife was Eva."

Vega looked at him and raised an eyebrow. "Well, that's my real name. Eva. It's a good name. Red-haired Evas are the best sort o' people." The pressure of his hand on her arm was gentle, he was so fragile it felt like he might snap. His skin was strangely soft, but also thin and she smiled as he squeezed her arm. "They won't tell me here. But I'm dying." Vega frowned slightly, and glanced at Hannah. Hannah, for her part, gave the slightest of shrugs, and Vega decided there and then that she wasn't bothering with what the healers here did. She was here on her terms, doing it her way. "Yeah, that's what I understood, Frank. But hey, either you've been really livin' it up an' had a rough ten trials, or you've had a good length o' time. An' you'll see Eva soon, yeah?"

Then, she smiled at him and, had it not been for the fact that she was so determined to be obnoxious, Eva "Vega" Lei'nox would have sobbed there and then. But instead, she started to play. She had learned to play well, Vega was pleased with how her music sounded. The song she played was one which she thought Frank would like - it was, for her, a song of hope Vega has developed her ability to the point that she can use sound as a means of increasing the skills of those around her. Her devotion to Xiur and Qylios is such that she is determined to be hopeful, and to always do her best. She can play and, when she plays, it gives a boost to the skills of those who hear it. When Vega focuses on a group and actively uses this ability - she is able to inspire them to be the very best version of themselves. Any and all who are in the room / area where she plays (so not someone that hears it in passing, they have to be listening) have a +1 level bonus on a non-magic skill for the next trial (so, novice becomes competent, competent becomes expert etc). This skill will be directly linked to the focus Vega has so - if it is in a camp preparing for battle, for the soldiers it will be a combat skill - but the cook for that camp would gain a bonus to cooking for the troops. No more than one bonus per day can be given. In this case, it will be meditation - she's focused on them feeling peace. . The eight patients in there stopped and listened. There had been some moaning, one person had been crying, another whimpering in pain.

But all was silent as Vega played. The medics stopped, too, and she closed her eyes as the soulful notes filled the ward. The song, the melody, was one of quiet, thoughtful, haunting tunes and it evoked images for Vega of dark water with stars reflecting on it in the middle of the ocean at night - playing to the silent sea. She kept playing and, while she did, the people in the room stopped and listened. As the sound of her lap-fiddle ended, the last notes reverberating into the air as Vega lifted her head and looked at Hannah. She was crying, Vega knew, she could feel the tears on her cheeks. She shook her head, slightly as Hannah started to move to Frank. "He's gone, Hannah," she said softly. Hannah looked up in surprise, meeting Vega's gaze. "How did you know?"

Vega shook her head, "I felt it," she said softly. Standing, she lifted the fiddle and held it out to Hannah. The medic shook her head. "He'd want you to have it, Vega. Take it, and play it for him."

Vega's tears were not something she was ashamed of and she lowered her head and kissed Frank's forehead. "I'll think of her, every time I play. I hope she's naggin' you already." Vega whispered to him, with a smile. "Don't worry about the mist. It's a bit frightenin' but they're alright, really, Pier an' Pre. Tell them I said hi." Hannah spoke quietly, "if you wanted to come back, Vega, and play again, that would be good." Vega looked at her and she nodded. "I'll come each mornin', a'right?" Hannah smiled and nodded.

"Look after him. He can still see you for a little while," Vega said. Hannah raised an eyebrow and the redhead shrugged. "You don't get to be as charmin' as I am without someone tryin' to kill you. Thankfully, when they succeeded, I were too obnoxious to stay dead." And, true enough, Vega would make the effort to arrive there, every day, and play the lap fiddle for the dead and dying.
word count: 1272

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Re: A very fine fiddle had she.....

Vega:

Knowledge:
Caregiving x 4
Musical Instrument: Fiddle x2

Loot: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: 10, for Vega's playing music for the dying patients, helping Hannah and stating that she'd come back.
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.
- - -
Comments: I find it interesting that Vega is so concerned about the healer’s wellbeing even though she’s the patient. It was really nice of her to offer to bring some music. I also found it interesting that Vega thinks of herself as anti-social.

She doesn’t seem that anti-social to me!

She has a truly unique personality and sense of humor that makes her posts very enjoyable to read.

I found it interesting to see her interact with someone who’s dying.

That part of the thread was beautifully written and quite touching.

Enjoy your rewards!
word count: 141

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “The Stormlands”