I don't feel like dancing, no, no dancing today....

2 x objectives here - Beat the Cold and Protect the Wall.

21st of Cylus 720

Beyond the city of Rharne lies the Stormlands, which is home to a number of farms, forests, fields, Lake Lovalus, and the River Zynyx. This subforum also includes the Stormwastes to the south.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1749
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

I don't feel like dancing, no, no dancing today....

21st Cylus 720

"Tio's tiny todger, but it's right cold, innit?" Vega said and she smiled at the young Lightning Knight who she was patrolling the wall with. They stood, watching out and covering the area they needed to. Up here, on the wall, they were higher up and so they were colder, and because they had to be within shouting distance of each other, they had to have more people up here than the Lieutenant would have liked. He'd been talking about it when he'd briefed them, but Vega had mostly been focusing on keeping her head down and her mouth shut. Not because that was easy - nor because it was a wondrous challenge. No, but because she had no better ideas and she didn't want to be someone who just spoke for the point of hearing their voice. There were more than enough of them right now, as far as Vega was concerned.

They stood there, together, around a brazier which burned behind a shield so as not to glow out into the darkness. Vega clapped her hands against her upper arms and she looked around. When she'd been out on a patrol with Jack-Ass the Knight (she'd never bothered to learn his name) they had needed to use every inch of the terrain to their advantage and so, up here, she had a good look around.

The issue was, Vega knew, the wall was deep as well as long and it was cold. They had to try and keep warm and they couldn't have anything that would give away their exact positions to those outside the wall. It was tough - this meant that they had braziers which were hidden and protected from sight, but that meant that the patrollers on the wall had to be in a static position. It meant they couldn't move.

And that, in turn, made them colder.

It had to be something they could do, Vega thought to herself, cupping her hands in front of her face and blowing, uselessly, to keep her hands warm. She couldn't even play the fiddle out here because the sound would carry so much and.....

"Hold on, there, shurrup," The Knight with her raised an eyebrow, which Vega ignored. Fair, neither of them had spoken for a number of bits, but that wasn't the point as far as the focused redhead was concerned. "We've jus' got to change it all. All of it. An' we've got to start with basics." To her, those basics had suddenly become a whole lot clearer.

"Go get the Lieutenant," she said, to her companion. "Tell him I said to git his ass....", Vega liked the Lieutenant, in fairness, but even she knew that might be pushing it too far. "Ask him if he'd come back with you, I've got an idea." He looked at her and Vega grinned. "I reckon we can do this a whole lot better, but I need to show him. Ask him, would you?"

The Knight nodded and made his way off the wall. While he was gone, Vega did her best to map out every question, every possibility. Her swirling eyes narrowed and she examined the terrain. There had to be every single aspect considered, she knew that. She thought - now - that she could manage to answer any questions and so, impatiently, she waited.

word count: 574

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Vega
Approved Character
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1749
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: I don't feel like dancing, no, no dancing today....

21st Cylus 720

The Lieutenant - cheery and up-beat soul that he was - took his own sweet time coming, but Vega had figured he might. It seemed like it might be important to someone like him to not be seen to be too available to her - the little people. Vega was happy to wait, because she thought that she had something important to say and explain to him. So, she'd rather that he was in a mood to listen by the time he got there.

When he did, she looked at him and gave a smile. "Thanks. I really appreciate it. Look, I think there's some stuff here that we could be doin' better, an' I wanted to run it past you," Vega didn't really do pre-amble. It just wasn't her way. So, instead, she gestured for him to follow her and she clambered over to where they had been standing. The Lieutenant was well wrapped up and Vega couldn't argue the fact that he did his share of shifts up here. "Righ' so there's a number of issues up here. We've got to be close enough to be able to communicate, yeah? An' that means that we're jus' too close to each other. So, I reckon we need to use another means of communicatin'," she said. He raised an eyebrow and then Vega, of all things, pulled her fiddle. "So, look at this. In the wind, it don't do nothin' don't make a noise. But when I use a bow, well," she moved her bow across the strings and they played a gentle note. "But, also, I can pluck it. Look." And she did just that. "It's vibratin' innit?" She looked at him and considered that there was a very specific look on his face which said that he had no clue what she was talking about.

"Imagine, a long string along the top o' the wall. Lifted, jus' like this. It's got the ability to carry noise -much further. An' what we need to do is..." The Lieutenant's eyes had suddenly lit up. "Some means of continuing the sound along the whole length?" Vega grinned and nodded. "That's righ'. An' that, I reckon, is fairly easy. See, sound up here, it travels anyhow, but, have we got anythin' that'll be like..." The Lieutenant was already nodding.

"We could rig up something, yes. The vibrating string could dislodge something, and that in turn.... yes, like dominoes?" Vega nodded. "An' whatever is on the other end of it, it migh' knock over somethin' else -or it might make a noise. But that way, you 'ave a means of there bein' less people up here freezin' like they're doin' the fuglybugly."

The Lieutenant blinked. "Fuglybugly?"

"Yeah. You know. That song? Put yer left leg in, yer left leg out? Then you go in an' then out, an' you shake it all about," and yes, she moved her leg in towards the space between them and thumped him lightly when he didn't, "come on, stop lollygaggin' you put it in, put it out, that's it, then shake it all about," the Lightning Knight who had brought the Lieutenant looked on, boggle-eyed and both Vega and the Lieutenant 'shook it all about' - granted with limited enthusiasm, but did, "then you do the fuglybugly, an' you turn around. That song. Anyhow, see, when yer doin' the fuglybugly, you're shakin' - an' you do that when you're shiverin' too. You Rharnians talk well funny, you know." He looked at her as though not entirely sure whether she was serious or not. When he realised that she was - he sighed.

"So, anyhow, rather than shakin' like they're doin' the fuglybugly, we could have only the people on here we need to actually look out, an' then the people who need to be ready in case the pumpernickels attack ...." Vega frowned as the Lieutenant interrupted her again.

"The .. pumpernickels?"

"Yeah. The creatures. Frogernickels, toadernickels - main category, pumpernickel." She shook her head and looked at him but, this time, the Lieutenant observed her. He's seen her fight, seen her work tirelessly - he'd seen her bring a child back from the dead, come to that.

"Aren't you afraid?"

Vega stopped moving and looked at him, her eyes swirling a myriad of colours. "Of course I am, you plonker," that was the insult kept for the most ridiculous questions. "I know what we're facin' here, an' of course I'm afraid. But I figure, there's only one thing to do with fear." He hardly knew what to expect, but the Lieutenant couldn't hide the smile on his face as Vega said, solemnly, "I'm gonna do the fuglybugly, an' they're gonna turn around. That's what it's all about, innit?"

He shook his head. He might have said something, but this time, she interrupted him. "So, come on then, lets get somethin' rigged up an' have a go. But jus' before we do. There's somethin' else."

He was almost afraid of what that might be. "We need to have a way o' keepin' the people up here warm. It's bloody freezin' - so since we don't have to stand still now, they should be movin'," she gestured. "An' frankly, this is a perfect place to practice. Get them up here, but get them exercisin' and practicin' too. An' before you ask, none of those noncy-nonny practice arrows. Proper ones. There's rabbits an' stuff to shoot down there. Get them doin' it. An' those who aren't up here freezin' their fernangles off, they can thank me very much an' be makin' arrows." He looked at her and opened his mouth to argue. But then, he closed it again and Vega grinned.

"See?" Her tone was cheeky. "We're gettin' on better every trial, aren't we?"

And so - they made their way to go and start on the early warning system which would see less troops needing to be up there, and a better use of the troops they had. Not bad, she thought. it was something.

And they needed all the help they could get.
word count: 1050

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Oberan
Approved Character
Profession: Full time nuisance
Renown: 292
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: I don't feel like dancing, no, no dancing today....

Review Rewards

Veggie

Points awarded: 10

Knowledge:
Tactics x 4, Leadership x2

Magic: No magic exp

Other: +10 renown for proposing a solution for a hereto undiscovered problem

Notes:
Good writing, as always. I really liked the central problem in this thread being something so simple, and yet so debilitating and inefficient. Vega's solution was very clever, good stuff. She's pretty bossy too, isn't she? Good thing the Luitenant likes her!

Your review request is here.
Please include the following stamp to your review request:

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image/15001/medium[/img][/center]
If you have any questions, comments or concerns in regards to this review, feel free to PM.
word count: 116
Just because I shouldn't doesn't mean I won't.

Mortalborn Abilities | Die Roller | Capstones
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “The Stormlands”