Complete Flour Power

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Flour Power

3 Ashan 720

"....And that's when I realized I was destined for greatness..." Azreal stared at the far wall woefully, and then his head pushed upwards to peer across the room, "Yeva, are you even listening?"

"Hm...? What? Of course!" The redhead looked up. Her hair was bound and piled high on her head, wrapped in a headscarf pattern with painted dyes. On her face were streaks of flour and somehow, up to her arms, she was coated in a white and sticky tar-like substance. Azrael knew she wasn't listening and she deflated, "Sorry, I just... can you help me for a bit? I think I need another cup of flour. I'm not sure if I'm getting it right."

"What do you expect me to do?" the Avriel sighed in dramatic exhaustion. He rolled on his side, watching her from the table a bottle propped against his chest, "I need another cup of wine, but you don't hear me complaining, do you?"

Yeva shot him a look.

"Fiiine," he sighed again and then he rolled from the cot and began to walk across the room. Halfway, he stumbled, his wings flailing wildly as he caught his balance, and suddenly the room was swirling with a gust of wind. Loose flour blew off the table and into Yeva' face when she bent over to inspect the half-worked dough and reread the recipe. She froze in shock. White particles coated her cheeks and forehead, which she couldn't even wipe away with the state of her messy hands. The two looked at each other and then they both fell into a fit of laughter.

Any embarrassment about stumbling was long gone from the Avriel's features. He howled and had to take a breath to regain his composure, "Talk about the wrong place, wrong time."

"Now I'll definitely need another cup!" she whined with a smile on her face, more flour falling from her chin when her jaw moved, "This is your fault. Help me!"

"Alright, alright," Azrael set his bottle on the counter and looked for something to wipe the woman's face, "C'mere."

Yeva was squinting in an effort to keep flour from falling into her eyes, half blind as her companion dampened a dish cloth and took her face in his hands. His fingers were cool, and she could feel his talon-like nails trying not to pierce her, "The recipe says to knead the dough until its structured," she paused, tilting her chin as he ran the cloth across her brow and ridge of her forehead, "It needs to develop gluten."

"I don't know what that is," he muttered, glancing over her head at the war zone on the table, "Besides a huge mess. Yeva, it's gotten in your hair."

Yeva smiled, "Well, I was only a mild mess before."

"Yeah, yeah," his hands slowed, and then he brightened with an idea, "Have some wine with me."

"I can't."

"Yes, you can. You know I rented this place for the trial, let's enjoy it."

"Are you going to help me bake?"

He smirked and seemed to think it over, "If you can drink three glasses, I"ll do whatever you ask."

It was her turn to grin, "You know I'm a pure blooded Rharnian, don't you?"

"Yes, but you've never been a drinker. Ever the cultural contrarian, Red Robin."

He pinched her cheek and she swatted his hand.

Yeva weighed the pros and cons and then nodded shyly, "Okay, but you can't complain. Not once!" His eyes widened in shocked delight. The responsible medic was always telling him no, denying any chance of a vice. It seemed she was in a good mood and it wasn't even a special occassion! Azrael's demeanor snapped to attention and he tossed the rag over his shoulder, quick to rummage through the cupboards to find another glass. She almost touched her face, still feeling powder, "Did you get it all?"

"Not even a little bit," he laughed, pouring a glass of red before she had a chance to speak, "Let the games begin."

He held it out with a very wicked smile and she eyed it dubiously.

"You've always been a sore loser," she took the glass, smelling it. Tart. Tangy. Not nearly a high end bottle, but a full-bodied red if she ever knew one. Azrael was too eager, she had her suspicions. Nevertheless, she trusted the Avriel and she felt safe here. No one was just going to waltz in, and he wouldn't hurt her. And after everything they had been through, a few drinks could be fun, "Cheers."

Yeva drank deeply, nearly downing her whole glass and then her face lifted with puckered lips and full cheeks. With a bit of effort, she swallowed and her spine stiffened, her stomach warmed like a freshly lit stove. She inhaled through her nose and then turned on her heel to hide whatever expression he might be looking for, "Now, where was I?"
Last edited by Yeva on Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 853
Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Flour Power

3 Ashan 720

"More flour," she leaned over the counter, coated fingers hovering over the page of the recipe book, "Let's see..."

"Kneading converts flour, water, and leavening - that's the yeast - into a smooth and elastic bread dough, developing the protein gluten. Oh, Az, gluten is a protein... Blah blah blah... Gluten forms when flour is combined with liquid..." she trailed off reading silently. He wouldn't be so interested in the science of it, although it was quite more detailed than she ever knew. There was a short description of the gluten proteins gliadin and glutenin which she perused silently, "When the bread dough is kneaded, the elastic bands stretch and loosen. Yeast causes the dough to ferment which produces carbon dioxide... There's so more chemistry than I thought!"

Yeva was smiling, "I wonder how many bakers actually consider that, or if they just know when it's ready. You know, like instinct."

"Mhmm," Azrael was behind her, the sound of wine pouring, "Here's your flour... and speaking of liquid."

The Avriel's arms had snaked around either side of her, each holding an offering which she stared at with an open mouth, "But I wasn't done with the first glass. I still had a little left," Azrael sifted some powder on the table and her hands.

"I thought it would be impolite to let a Rharnian's drink go empty. Thought I'd top it off for you."

The glass glimmered in the light of the kitchen. Red and rich.

He was wearing that shit eating grin, she just knew it.

Yeva took a hurried sip and set it aside.

"Not feeling as bold as before?" he taunted, watching over her shoulder as she dug her hands into the sticky dough and began to fight it into submission. According to her book, it would become smoother the more she worked it. Yeva pushed down with a firm pressure, manipulating it with the heel of her palm. Pushing, pulling, reforming.

"I'm feeling fine," she added, although she was surprised by how warm everything felt when she gave the dough a half turn, "Maybe you should worry about yourself, Mr. Tripping-When-He-Walks."

"Good one," he scoffed, taking a moment to drink from his own glass, "So, do you like how it tastes? I think I bought a blush if this one's too strog, I know that's more to your liking. Very familiar."

"Oh, be quiet" she muttered, briefly wondering if her cheeks were beginning to betray her, "I'm trying to focus."

To her surprise, he did, sharp eyes observing while the red head worked. It was relaxing in a way, although her arms would soon tire. Yeva turned and pressed. More pushing, more pulling. She paused now and again to crane her neck, propped up on white elbows to read the text. It warned of over mixing, which would create a crumbling and close structure when baked, followed by a description of checking its progress. Yeva read over the instructions and tore a test chunk off to stretch it gently, turning it in circular motion to tug it evenly. It held together without tearing, "...Forming a sheer membrane, thin enough to let light come through..." she whispered in contemplation, looking up for the closest available light source to admire its level of transparency. Her head tilted to the side, stray curls falling from her headband, "Does this look right to you?"

"No," Yeva turned, rolling her eyes when he slid her drink back towards her, "Your glass is still full. A true disaster."

"Ugh, fine! You're such a baby, I swear."

With her free hand, Yeva took another drink, not stopping until the second glass was gone.
[To be continued here.]
word count: 633
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: Flour Power

Yeva:

Knowledge:
Baking
How to Knead [Bread] Dough
How to Check the Readiness of Dough
Flour Your Hands & Working Surface
Careful Not to Over Mix

Chemistry
Yeast Fermentation Creates Carbon Dioxide
How to Form a Gluten Structure

Loot: -
Wealth: -
Injuries: -
Renown: -
Magic XP: -
Skill Review: Appropriate to level.
- - -
Comments: I see that you incorporated at least one of the Scalv-enger hunt challenges into this solo!

I really enjoyed reading it. The dialogue felt natural, and you added just enough details – and it was amusing as well.

I grinned a couple of times while reading the thread. Azrael and Yeva are a lot of fun together!

Enjoy your rewards!

word count: 111

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”