Complete The Magic of Learning

A satellite of the prestigious Viden Academy, this collaborative effort has truly been successful on Scalvoris and many great inventions and discoveries are made on a regular basis!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Crytographer
Renown: 585
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The Magic of Learning

100 Ashan 720

"Can anyone begin to name a local flora with properties to reduce a fever?"

Several hands shot upwards, the competitive nature of medical students rushing forward like an errant ocean wave. Professor Hamilton-Smith lifted a finger and waved his arm back in forth with seeking eyes. Then he stilled, pulling back in a motion, not unlike someone hiding a treat from their dog. His smile was absolutely mischievous, "... in children as young as three arcs?"

Like stones, answers dropped into the crowd of students.

Hamilton-Smith seemed delighted and then had the graces to show disappointment, "No one?"

Yeva sat straighter and reached towards the high ceilings. She felt the itch of nerves but stretched higher and held there when the professor's eyes found her, "Yes, Miss... Yeva, isn't it? I believe I remember your last paper... Go on."

"Yes, um, thank you," she cleared her throat and shyly tucked her hand back into her lap. Attention had found her, "I believe the answer you're looking for is... um... Purple Peach."

The young professor crossed his arms, "You sound unsure," he remarked, "Is that your final answer?"

Yeva mentally reprimanded herself. Doctors were supposed to be confident, she had to practice, "It is."

Hamilton-Smith smirked but he turned sharply, idly pacing down the stage of the lecture hall, "Why don't you tell your fellow classmates a little about this... fruit."

"Well-"

"Stand up."

Yeva felt the tell-tale heat rising to her cheeks at his order and she stood slowly, busying her hands by shuffling the papers on her desk, "Purple Peach actually isn't a fruit at all, but I think you already knew that." she glanced up, the pink flush spreading to her entire face when she caught his fleeting wink. Yeva turned her attention back to her desk, "It is a very rare flower found on the Ishallr Island, discovered by explorers on the Ice Cave expedition of 717. There may still be properties unknown in the medical community, however..." she took a deep breath, tried to ignore the ramming of her heartbeat, "It has a very distinct appearance and smell - like a peach and... um, it can be infused into a herbal tea and has been proven to reduce effects of the common cold, particularly high body temperatures and congestion... It can also be added to food or just chewed. There are currently no known side effects."

When she finally found the courage to look back up, Hamilton-Smith was beaming and gave thee sharp claps, a proud and singular round of applause, "Very good, Miss Yeva! You've read ahead of our text, I see," he snapped and walked with a new vigor towards the chalkboard and began writing the name of the flower in big, bold lettering while the hush of quills scratching against paper resounded in notes. It was a sign to Yeva that she should retake her seat and she resettled, flipping through her textbook.

Professor Hamilton-Smith began reiterating the rarity of the Purple Peach and its difficulty to grow. Briefly, he answered questions and then seemed to remember the hourglass on his desk and changed his tune, "For your assignments, I want each of you to research at least two plants with medical properties That may not always mean benevolent, mind you! Many doctors make a living dealing with pharkamon - that is a treatment which functions as both remedy and poison..." He took a moment to let the vocabulary sink in before continuing, "I will leave the creativity up to you, but those who manage to impress me with their presentations will be given the option of recreating its medicine as a replacement for their final... For some of you, this may also count towards Order credits. Class dismissed."

Yeva noticed a few people look back at her and she made sure the lid to her inkpot was secured before slipping it into her bag. She waited for the others to file out and slipped down the aisle when only a few students remained. She was near to the door when she heard the professor's light voice, "Miss Yeva?"

She turned.

Hamilton-Smith was wiping away at the chalkboard when she approached. Up close, Yeva noticed just how young he was - perhaps only a few years older than herself. And he was already teaching at university? It was...

"Impressive," he said, knocking white dust from his palms and turning to face her, "Most of my students can name every bone in the human body, but they tend to fail in what they perceive as minor medicine as it lacks... the same grandeur. I often find myself focusing on flora and fauna if to have my students excel in all categories of this field. Are you studying medicine as it pertains to herbalism? Or were you an herbalist prior, perhaps?" he watched her as if trying to imagine her in a garden. The visual suited her, she didn't seem to hold the constitution of anyone with more... physically demanding interests. Certainly not a fighter.

"No, nothing like that. I mean... I would, but that's not why I joined University or the Order of Adunih." By his comment at the end of class, he had clearly noticed her green cloak, "Idalos has so many remedies alone, I would like to find the balance between the natural world and man-made...sort of solutions. I think a mix would prove the most beneficial for everyone and open a lot of avenues for modern health."

The youthful professor seemed to watch her for a bit, deciding something, "There is something to be said about an outlook like that which is why I would like to offer you a new opportunity - Have you thought about transferring into the university's alchemy program?"

"Not at all," In fact, she hardly knew the practice. A type of minor magic? "I've been so focused on my letter..."

"Oh, I understand. I'm hardly an alchemist myself but I do know of... another professor," Hamilton-Smith twisted away from the conversation to write upon a piece of parchment and hand it back to her. On it was a number, "There's going to be a guest from the Viden Academy holding a private lesson in his office on the subject. I could be mistaken, but I believe it's first-come, first-serve. If you can make it, I'm sure he will be able to answer your questions."

Yeva stared at it dumbly, "Thank you," her schedule was mentally playing in her head. Azrael had already planned to meet her for dinner, but that was still some time off, "Do you know what time?"

"Soon, I'd imagine."

"Thank you, I'll... I'll definitely check it out."

Her? Alchemy?

Yeva said her goodbyes and headed with a new vigor down the hall. She only got lost once before having to stop and ask for direction, knocking on the office door and standing straight. She could do this.
Last edited by Yeva on Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 1183
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: 1162
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: The Magic of Learning

In some ways, the alchemist decided, as he took a look around the office that had been given to him for the duration of his stay in Scalvoris, universities all resembled each other. The classrooms and the laboratories looked similar to those in Viden or Rynmere where he had taught until a few arcs prior, perhaps a bit newer and slightly less expensive, the offices were similarly furnished, for the most part, and even the students were alike, although there were of course fewer Eidisi and Ellune students here.

Scalvoris itself was as different from Viden and his old home as a place could possibly be though, such obvious things as the trees, the flowers and the grass in the small courtyard that he could see from the window towards which he had moved notwithstanding. The people were astonishingly liberal. His colleagues in Viden, such as Trandino, were old-fashioned and conservative for the most part; here, people were open-minded though, slavery had been abolished a few arcs earlier, and etiquette was not everything.

Once upon a time, he might have disapproved of some of those things; nowadays he found that attitude strangely refreshing though.

The differences to Rynmere were even greater though. The atmosphere in the place where he had been born, more than three centuries prior, had become oppressive. Had he decided to return after the battle in Oscillus, he doubted that he would have allowed to continue his research of the arcane. Of course, he thought, entirely without regret, and glanced at the fine gloves that encased his hands and hid the mutations that he had acquired due to his progressing his chosen magic, returning to the kingdom had become a moot point.

The Order of the Mantis would likely have tried to burn him at the stake as well, just like those unfortunate souls.

There was little point in continuing to pursue such thoughts though, and thus he moved back towards the desk in order to prepare the materials that he would need for what lay ahead. He had not come to Scalvoris for some sort of a vacation or to gather reagents, at least not only, but to hold a series of guest lectures and tutor a prospective alchemist or two – which was something that he actually found himself looking forward to. Recent events, such as his initiations into dreamwalking and magic and what had resulted from it, had made him derive some enjoyment from the social aspect of his work.

He had just sat down and arranged a few things on his desk – some of his recent inventions, such one of the alchemical lights that his former apprentice Sintih and he had crated, among other things, in order to demonstrate the vast potential of alchemy to those that were curious about his science – when he heard a knock on the door. The alchemist who was garbed in an elegant bespoke suit of coal and crimson that trial, turned his head, slightly surprised as he hadn’t thought that he would get a visitor quite that soon, before he called out in a firm and deep tone of voice, “Come in! The door is not locked!”
word count: 532

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

100 Ashan 720

A deep and detached voice called beyond the barrier, beckoning her inside the office to which Yeva tried to imagine a face. What she saw however, was not what she had expected. A man with dark hair sat behind a desk with an assortment of things laid out before him. He was well dressed in a dark suit and even from their distance, the young medic could tell he was physically capable. His jawline was strong, his shoulders were broad, but what shocked her the most was not that this man was attractive - he was - but it was the pure and electric strike of desire that shot through to her core like Ilaren's lightening. Her knees suddenly felt weak, unsure in their steps as if weakened by his very presence, "Hi," she cleared her throat, looked down at the number on the parchment, "Is this... Are you-?"

Yeva suddenly realized she had never caught this man's name from her professor, and now she risked standing around like a gaping cod fish! "Sorry- My name's Yeva. I'm actually a student in the medical program but Professor Hamilton-Smith thought I might have a future in alchemy. He suggested I come to your office?" she took another step into the room, half holding out the parchment as if it was a proper document. Was it just her or was it hot in here?

She shuffled beneath the weight of her Adunih cloak, resisting the urge to fan herself and instead opted for taking a few more confident steps forward and holding out her hand, "Are you the instructor from Viden?" Her cheeks must have been the color of Venora roses but she tried to remain casual, more than anything wanting to actually learn what wisdom he could impart... "If now's not a good time, I could come back."
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Yeva on Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 346
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Apparently, the Mortalborn thought with a hint of amusement as a young woman with ruddy curls walked into the office only to stop dead in her tracks and stare at him open-mouthed, there was another thing that Viden and Scalvoris – and all those other cities that he had lived in so far – had in common, besides their academic scene. The Allure, one of the more interesting side effects of his allegiance to the Immortal of Fury, affected people of all backgrounds, races, genders and ages in a similar way, although the Eidisi tended to not show their emotions as openly as the inhabitants of this strange island.

No, he corrected himself as he noticed how unsteady his visitor seemed to be on her feet, the Allure seemed to affect some people more than others. In fact, he decided, as he watched Yeva, cocking his head a little to the side as he did so, she seemed to be unusually strongly affected. He was just about to think about whether he should rush to her aid and do something in order to keep her from possibly passing out or having some sort of breakdown when she opened her mouth.

The words that she said didn’t make any sense to him though. In fact, he briefly considered the possibility that she might be speaking in tongues. He didn’t comment on that though. He saw no reason to do something that would likely only embarrass her, but chose to remain calm and professional instead. The only sign that he might consider her behaviour to be a bit on the unusual side was the fact that his eyebrows rose barely noticeably, for no more than a trill or two.

“Doran Thetys, in case you were just wondering about my identity”, he told Yeva, in a tone that was calm, measured and comparatively friendly and met her gaze, smiling very lightly, before he gestured for her to sit down in the chair that was opposite his own which would hopefully answer the question as to whether now was a good time or not to her satisfaction. “I usually teach alchemy at the Academy of Viden, yes”, he continued. “I will be staying in Scalvoris for approximately a seven-trial in order to hold a series of guest lectures and do some research for a thesis that I’m working on though.”

“Professor Hamilton-Smith said that to you?”
he asked, the tone of his voice tinged with just a hint of surprise now. He had met his young colleague a couple of times. Argus was talented – and somewhat arrogant, as many people that came from a wealthy family unfortunately tended to be – an attitude that he neither shared nor understood as having rich parents was not an accomplishment. “Then he must have been exceptionally impressed. He rarely praises his students, judging by what I’ve witnessed so far.” Having said that, he paused for a moment, considering her once more.

“So”, he continued. “Which aspect of alchemy is it that interests you the most? The conjunction between alchemy and medicine, the creation of potions that can accomplish what conventional medicine can’t?” he wanted to know and raised an eyebrow fractionally. “Tell me, Miss Yeva, what do you know about alchemy and what do you hope to do with it?” he asked, in the same deep, calm and pleasant tone as before, folded his hands atop the desk and looked at her with curiosity.
word count: 582

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

100 Ashan 720

A thesis? Wow, he sounded so intelligent and wasn't that attractive in its own way? "May I ask what you're researching? Seven trials, that's not a very long time at all. Is that even worth the..."

Trouble? The travel?

Yeva paused, watching the man's face while her mind pieced together the puzzle. She had arrived by ship, but perhaps he had come from means entirely his own... She had heard stories of portals and magic, but she had never seen either up close. Immediately, she cleared her throat as if the topic was too personal to pursue, "I might be speaking out of turn," she muttered, running her hand along the underside of her jaw, "That's entirely your business, forgive me."

She decided to focus on the interest of Professor Hamilton-Smith, "Oh, yes. He's a very good professor. He's rather attentive and really does want his students to achieve, I..." she hesitated, trying to find the right words, trying to find a balance between genuine praise and truth, "I am certainly no dear friend of his, but I think... Well, I have a theory that maybe... He wishes success but perhaps does not take so kindly to... um, well, the rather over ambitious?"

Yeva's face deepened in color, "I'm not intending to gossip, nor do I mean I'm not ambitious myself. Gods, sorry! I just meant that maybe he likes being the, the... um, person everyone refers to. If someone risks overshadowing him..."

'He'll not be so polite when taking back the spotlight.'

She pressed her lips together and offered an unsure smile, afraid she'd risk word vomiting if she opened her mouth. Yeva took a deep breath and focused on his question.

"I can't presume to know his intentions, but I'm happy he recommended me. Truthfully, I know very little about alchemy and was surprised myself when he suggested I considered the program. I'm... fairly good at remembering properties of flora and fauna, but now that you've mentioned it, I am quite curious about potions. I've seen them at Petyr's Pots, but I've heard... very mixed reviews and some shocking results. And sadly, my lack of knowledge puts myself and others in danger if I were to ever recommend certain... um, treatments? And then " Yeva looked up from the collection of items on the desk to Doran's face, her thoughts fluttering to the wind. She shook away the errant thoughts, "Have you heard of theory of ecological balance? ... If I could just find the line between the natural solutions found in this world and mankind's ingenuity, I think modern medicine could really advance. Does that make sense?"
word count: 463
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

“Of course you may“, the Mortalborn replied as Yeva asked him what he was researching and smiled lightly once again, meeting her gaze as he did so. He had originally planned on keeping his work a secret, at least until his thesis was finished and all the clinical trials had been concluded; one of the member of the Institute of Sciences in Viden starting to gossip had made him decide to go public earlier than he had planned though. Besides, he enjoyed talking about his research.

“I am working on expanding the field of Blood Magic, beyond replicating the effects of domain magic and blessing abilities with alchemy. To that end, I have developed a potion that replicates some of the innate traits of Lotharro, for example. As for whether it’s worth the trouble”, he continued and laughed lightly, his blue eyes twinkling with amusement. “I did not come here by ship. As a professor of the Academy of Viden, I am allowed to make use of the Eclipse Portal.”

“Going from Viden to Scalvoris – or Rharne – takes but a moment”,
he told her before he fell silent for a moment, watching her once more. He couldn’t help but wonder whether her gossiping was due to the effects of the Allure or whether she was always like that. Either way, he did not mind her behaviour too much. He simply found it interesting.

Of course, he did not gossip himself, but only remarked in a very dry tone of voice, “Professor Hamilton-Smith does seem like the kind of man that doesn’t like being overshadowed.” As he said that, he briefly wondered if Argus was envious of his accomplishments – what he was doing constituted a major breakthrough after all - before he decided that it didn’t matter. He didn’t care about fame, or competition or outperforming someone else, although he was ambitious; he simply wanted to find out what was possible.

“I’m afraid I do not know this Petyr”, he remarked. “But not all people that claim to be alchemists actually know something about alchemy. There are far too many charlatans in this world”, he spoke in a calm and matter-of-fact tone. He was not being arrogant, he wasn’t looking down on his fellow alchemists, he was merely stating a fact. Over the arcs, he had had to fix far too many of his so-called colleagues’ mistakes.

“As for ecological balance”, he continued and paused for a moment as he opened a drawer of his desk in order to remove two wooden boxes from it that he then slid across the desk towards her. “I think I know what you mean. Here are two of the potions that I invented. The first box contains a few samples of the potion that I mentioned before – I make use of a Lotharro’s adrenaline in order to treat anaphylaxis and heart problems, among other things.”

“The second potion contains a vial of the cure for the Rubberlegs poison that my former assistant and I created approximately two arcs ago. An overdose of Rubberlegs weakens the bones and deforms them which can ultimately lead to death. We enhanced some of the properties of milk in order to counteract that. I assume that you have heard of calcium before?”
he asked and raised an eyebrow questioningly.

“Feel free to take a look”, he added and gestured for her to go ahead and open the boxes. If she did so, she would discover that each box contained half a dozen vials. The potion in the first box – the adrenaline potion – was a very light shade of red while the second potion was a milky white. “And let me know if that is something that you are interested in learning more about or if your interests lie in a different field, after all.”
word count: 646

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

100 Ashan 720

Blood magic.

Now, what could that possibly mean? The words played in Yeva's mind and she rested upon them. It sounded sinister by nature, but when he chuckled, she found herself transfixed by the sheer notion of study, "I had no idea that was even possible. The replication of domains, blessings, that sort of thing. There are those marked by Ilaren back home in Rharne, but...That's really interesting... I hope you don't mind if I take notes?" she had begun reaching for her bag, fingers slowing as she checked his face for approval. It was a private lesson, but surely she could take some of the information back in physical form, "Writing down my ideas... It's kind of how I think. Um..."

Yeva pulled out a well-loved leather journal, flipping it to a new page. Pressed wildflowers poked out from between the pages and she paused to take one and slide it back in place, "Sorry," she glanced at the boxes he had retrieved from the desk drawer, "I went to Sweetvine to catalogue some plants for the Intelligentsia recently..." her voice faded when he began to discuss the first box.

At once, her eyes lit up, "Anaphylaxis... that's a severe allergic reaction, correct?" she leaned forward to get a look at the container, any attraction falling to the wayside while knowledge was waiting, "May I ask why you chose Lothorro adrenaline versus... say a different race? I understand they release outbursts which can enhance certain features, but are their hormones more potent than the average human when extracted?"

She listened, plucking a stubby pencil from her pocket and scribbling the date in the top right corner. Beneath it she followed it with his name and the topic of study.
Alchemy.
"And, do these solutions of yours... do they have formal names? Are they ingested orally, or injected via apparatus?"

While she prepared, Professor Thetys revealed he was not only a creator of modern medicine, but he dabbled in poison crafting as well. Portals, magic, and potions, oh my. How lucky she was to study under his guidance; there was so much to learn! "Ah, yes...you assume correctly." She let herself to follow his fingers as the revealed the liquid creations.

"Wow," Yeva bit her lip and clasped her hands safely in her lap to resist the urge to touch them, first just taking in their differences in appearance. She wondered what they smelled like, tasted like... "Will you show me how you would go about your preparation? It's kind of... kind of marvelous..."

His blue eyes made her stomach drop. Ba dump. Ba dump.

Before she could allow herself to get embarrassed by the compliment, she followed up, "Obviously I've created tinctures and very simple tonics and teas, so... I have a very, very minor understanding of transferring properties from flora to a liquid state, but... How do you take something so specific like a mineral and infuse it with something else? And, can you take the effects of something... something more solid or gaseous and use it to create a liquid? Like..." she tried to think of an example, "Okay so Scalvoris sand, the green specifically -its tangible, it's coarse, it always stays cool. Could you somehow..." she waved her fingers, trying to find the words, "I'm not sure, use that to make a form of dye or salve that could then be used in bandages to soothe burn victims? Or-"

She smiled, pausing to look up from the table, "I guess I'm curious about the entire process. I... I don't even know what's feasible it feels like I'm barely scratching the surface here. It's... just," she sighed, riding the wave of giddy excitement, "It's kind of thrilling, isn't it? Is there something we could do today? Here? Maybe something simple but could show me the basics practices and proper habits of alchemy?"
word count: 667
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

“Blood Magic is a very advanced kind of alchemy that is far beyond the scope of most alchemists”, the Mortalborn spoke as Yeva voiced her surprise that such was even possible. The tone of his voice was calm; he was not bragging. He was not bragging about the fact that he practiced such an advanced kind of alchemy – and had even begun to transcend it. There were few alchemists who specialized in Blood Magic. It was an extraordinarily powerful branch of science – but with great power came great risks.

“Of course”, he continued. “There are some Immortals that take issue with someone using the blood of their Blessed, and thus it is necessary that you tread carefully and chose the blessing that you work with wisely. If you want to, I can tell you how Blood Magic works though”, he offered as he quite enjoyed talking about what he did, especially to someone that was as genuinely interested in it as Yeva was.

“Taking notes is actually something that I encourage”, he remarked a moment later, the tone of his voice tinged with amusement and his blue eyes sparkling slightly before his gaze drifted to the pressed flowers peeking out from between the pages. He raised an eyebrow fractionally before he remarked, “There is no need to apologize. I occasionally venture into the wilderness in order to gather plants as well, although I tend to dry them in order to use them as reagents for my potions most of the time.”

“I’ve been meaning to get in contact with the Intelligentsia myself”,
he admitted – gathering with a group of likeminded individuals in order to experiment and talk about science greatly appealed to him. He didn’t say anything more though. The purpose of this meeting was to teach Yeva alchemy and not to talk about what he planned to do during his stay on the island and who he hoped to meet, after all. There was something that he did wonder about though. “Which plants did you gather?” he wanted to know.

“Indeed”, he confirmed as she asked if anaphylaxis was a severe allergic reaction. He was pleased by her relatively high level of knowledge, he had to admit. Teaching her would be enjoyable. “In some cases, it can even be life-threatening. My potion will hopefully be able to prevent that though. As for why I chose Lotharro blood rather than simply human blood?” he continued before he inclined his head. “I did indeed decide on Lotharro blood due to the fact that it is more potent. My potion can be ingested, but of course it is more potent and works faster when injected. A healer that is capable of injecting correctly and has access to syringes may not always be available though”, he explained, referring to the state of medicine that differed greatly, between countries, regions and sometimes even cities in the same region.

“As for names”, he continued, pausing for a moment and leaning back in his chair slightly. “I have to admit, I struggle a little when it comes to coming up with acceptable names for my creations. I’ve been considering lothadrenaline for my adrenaline potion though as it refers to both its origin and to what it does. I believe that the names of medicines and potions shouldn’t be too scientific, but easy to pronounce and easy to remember”, he remarked. It wouldn’t do if a patient were asked which medicine they had taken, and they couldn’t help but stammer because the name of the medicine in question was so complicated, after all.

Yeva, he decided, was quite talkative. He wasn’t sure if that was due to the Allure or if it was just a normal aspect of her personality. Either way, he didn’t mind. In fact, he appreciated her enthusiasm. It reminded him of what his lover Llyr had been like when he had first taken him to his laboratory and talked to him about Blood Magic. A little, at least.

He didn’t reply immediately though, but took a few moments in order to sort through her numerous questions and try to decide which one he ought to address first. Finally, he raised his voice again. “You can certainly make a dye or a salve from Scalvoris sand. I did in fact talk about the various properties of Scalvoris sand in a lecture that I held at the Academy of Viden just last cycle. I’ve been meaning to take some sand with me when I leave so that I can study it further”, he admitted. “You can also use a gas or a solid and create a liquid. As for how?” he asked and paused for a moment.

“The reagents are prepared, by crushing them, heating them or melting them, for example and then treated with various substances such as primers, binders and metabolizers – which are substances that are used to strengthen the alchemical effect. I can certainly show you how a potion is being made and what the process is like. For that, we’ll have to move to the laboratory that is down the hallway though as I do not have the necessary apparatuses in this office. I assume that you do not mind?” he asked and raised an eyebrow.

“Do you have any ideas on what kind of potion you would like us to make?” he wanted to know. He did not pose that question because he didn’t have any ideas – he did in fact more than a few of them – but because he wanted to know what she would come up with, and if she had any ideas for a potion that would be appropriate for this lesson.

Imagination was an important trait for an alchemist to have. Being familiar with the science was not enough, at least not if you wanted to become an above average alchemist.

“It is thrilling”, he agreed, his eye sparkling once more. He found the process of crafting potions and imbuing items – and coming up with new theories and new things to try – quite exciting, at least as exciting a standing on a battlefield, or perhaps even more so as alchemy allowed you to create and reshape things rather than to simply destroy.
word count: 1049

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Yeva
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

100 Ashan 720

Yeva wrote her notes quickly, trying to capture the essence of his lesson. A few facts she didn't want to forget that seemed to weave questions that she had to stifle while her hand moved across the page.
Blood Magic - Advanced Alchemy
Using the blood of marked individuals to... (Enhance?)
Beware. Not all Immortals are pleased with this use of their marked.

Illaren - Palenon
Cassion - ?
U'frek - ?
"Honestly," Yeva smiled, eyes still roaming the paper as she dotted her i's, "Anything you're willing to teach, I'd love to learn. Consider me a sponge," the mental visual made her chuckle at herself and she turned the page, unsure how much of his knowledge might need to be filled and she wanted to keep each topic as organized as possible, "When we went to Sweetwine, I didn't discover anything new, sad to say. Mostly I just familiarized myself with some of the local flora - "Winter's Breath, Bug Berries, Morning Savior and Bellflowers. They're all very common. Next time, though, I'd like to plan a bit better and trek a bit deeper, see what I can find. Maybe even start a garden."

Yeva glanced at the professor and continued to write, nodding now and again to signal that she was listening when he began describing the process of transferring properties.
Gas or Solid can be transferred to a liquid state.

How?

Prepare reagents as needed (crushing, heating/melting), treat with primers, binders and metabolites (these are substances which strengthen alchemical effect.).
"Oh, I don't mind!" Moving to the laboratory sounded exciting! Yeva beamed and jumped to her feet, speedily grabbing her bag, "Should we put a sign on the door in case anyone else comes looking for you?" Ultimately it was his choice and she wasn't sure if he was expecting other students, but she slowed near the exit when he asked for her own opinion on potions. The red head blinked, surprised, "Um, good question," she was used to be told information in lessons or quizzed on knowledge, this was a slightly newer approach she hadn't been expecting, "Let me think..."

From what she gathered so far, there were endless opportunities. Would he find her childish if she suggested something outlandish? "A potion of... diminution?" she glanced at him shyly, turning the knob, "I always thought it would be interesting to see what it was like to be a tunawa's height," she added grinning, "Although, getting stuck that way would be problematic. And as curious as it sounds, I bet smaller hands could be more skillful in certain types of surgery or mechanical work. Not all, but some" That concept might be too complex to do so suddenly.

Assuming they began to walk towards the lab, Yeva continued to brainstorm, "In a more mundane sense, a liquid that could instantly warm another would be useful. Like when trying to take a warm bath. One drop and the water could be heated within trills - no more having to go back and forth between the fire and the bath. Or... some sort of instant fever break -Oh! You mentioned anaphylaxis. What about something simpler? A potion to alleviate a commoner's seasonal allergies, like when they're working their fields?"

Yeva had no shortage of ideas, but it was clear her focus was primarily focused on the average citizen and making their lives easier. She was very considerate in that regard, "Or," she tapped her chin, ever optimistic, while she tried to think of a name for the concept playing in her mind, "Like a... basilisk potion? You pour it on something and it turns that item to stone, or hardens it? That could be interesting..." Briefly, she frowned, "Dangerous, though. Might be best if you pick."
word count: 638
Doran
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

“A sign would be a good idea”, the Mortalborn decided and inclined his head, a smile momentarily flickering across his face at Yeva’s continued enthusiasm. Having said that, he swiftly opened another drawer of his desk in order to remove a piece of crisp white paper from it and write a few words on it, that he was tutoring someone and that they had gone to the laboratory where they planned on working on the practical aspects of alchemy for a while.

“That should do”, he remarked as he put his quill down again. If Yeva took a look at his note, she would be able to see that his handwriting was quite elegant. He nearly wrote in a straight line, even without the help of a ruler; his letters were slanted slightly rightward though. Whether that meant anything, depended on whether you put any faith into certain somewhat esoteric studies, of course. “As for your ideas for potions”, he continued.

Yeva might be worried that he would find her suggestions childish; he didn’t though. He simply looked at her with a kind of calm curiosity, head cocked a little to the side, his hands folded atop the desk once more and listened to her before he finally rose from his chair as well and spoke, “Small hands would definitely be useful in certain situations, and it should be possible to craft a potion of diminution. I doubt that the necessary reagents can be found in the laboratory here though due to their value and their potency.”

“As for being stuck”,
he continued and gestured for her to walk with him as they might as well discuss this matter on their way to the laboratory, only pausing for a moment in order to lock the door and attach the sign to it. “That won’t be a problem. Potions tend to be temporary. How long they last, depends on a number of factors, of course, such as the dose that you used and the use of metabolizers, among other things.”

“I’ve worked on hardening substances with alchemy before”,
he remarked as they walked down the hallway. He agreed with her. It would probably be better if he decided what kind of potion they would make. Her suggestions were quite creative – she seemed to have an active mind which was something that he absolutely approved of – but some of the potions that she had proposed would be too complicated for an absolute beginner – which she was. He didn’t tell her that though, at least not directly as she’d likely be able to figure that out by herself before long. Instead, he simply remarked,

“You told me that you study medicine, so, perhaps we could make a potion that alleviates someone’s seasonal allergies together as that might be of use to you in your line of work. There are several natural substances that can relief allergies to some extent. With alchemy we can make them more potent though so that people will hopefully be able to enjoy the springtime again, at least for some time”, he spoke, just as they stopped in front of another door. He opened it, and then he gestured for Yeva to walk through it before he stepped into the room behind it as well.

The laboratory contained several workstations that were equipped with the most frequently used apparatuses as well as cupboards that contained various reagents, everything from crystals over bottles with chemicals to different herbs. Near the door, a couple of lab coats as well as goggles and protective gloves could be found. “There are some substances that definitely shouldn’t get in your eyes or on your skin. The potion that we will make together will be safe, but you should keep that in mind for the future. Backlash isn’t the only danger that alchemists have to be mindful of.”

Having said that, he moved to an empty workstation. “First of all, we need a base for our potion, a type of liquid that we’ll add the various reagents to. A potion that will alleviate the drinker’s seasonal allergies will not always be drunk immediately – people may only use it when they leave their house for a long amount of time, for example – and thus its shelf-life needs to be considered. If I don’t want a potion to go bad quickly, I usually use alcohol. The alcohol needs to be treated with a primer in order to be able to receive the reagent. A binder is necessary to ensure that the reagents don’t negate each other. The metabolizer will be the last step”, he explained before he fell silent for a moment and looked at her, considering her.

“While I prepare our alcohol, I would like you to please pick the main reagent. As I said, there are certain natural substances that can alleviate seasonal allergies to some extent, such as redbush tea. Can you name any others?” he wanted to know, raising an eyebrow fractionally as he wondered how familiar Yeva was with that particular topic. Once she had answered, he would tell her to go ahead and retrieve their reagent from the cupboard, either redbush tea or whatever she had proposed, as long as it he considered it to be a suitable reagent for their potion, of course.
word count: 897

Mutations

N/A

Blessings

N/A

Worn Items

Ring of Reversal
Ring of Immunity
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “University of Scalvoris (Viden Academy)”