• Solo • The Strange Professor

A satellite of the prestigious Viden Academy, this collaborative effort has truly been successful on Scalvoris and many great inventions and discoveries are made on a regular basis!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1145
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The Strange Professor

Cylus 7, Arc 720

“So, who is Migh Gir?” Devin asked his roommate/friend with occasional benefits Aidan as they walked through the streets of Scalvoris Town, towards the university. “I asked around, but nobody seemed to know! That annoying kid with the pimples that always insists on sitting next to me in class for some reason claimed that he is undead, but they wouldn’t let a zombie teach here, would they? Especially not after what Ellasin did”, he remarked, shuddering slightly and pulling his coat tighter around his body. There had been a time when he had been absolutely fascinated by necromancy, but now he wasn’t so sure about it anymore. Ellasin had nearly destroyed his old home!

“You’ve been a student longer than I have”, he said. “Surely you must know something!”

Aidan stopped for a moment, furrowing his brow and looked at him. “I don’t know much more than everybody else”, he admitted somewhat reluctantly. “I don’t think he’s any kind of undead though. He looks pretty normal to me, like a human in his mid-thirties – he’s just a little pale - and he seems to be a competent enough professor, even though he occasionally cancels his classes without a warning and hardly ever interacts with his colleagues - or socializes at all, for that matter. I heard that he is secretly involved in criminal activities. I wouldn’t pay too much attention to that either though. That’s probably just another rumor”, he said and shrugged his shoulders.

Devin had looked disappointed when Aidan had claimed that he didn’t know much, but at the mention of criminal activities his eyes suddenly lit up, and a smile spread across his face. He loved criminal activities! He was a criminal himself! At least he hoped that he was still a criminal. He wasn’t sure how his conning himself into becoming an actual doctor factored into things. Either way, he would attend Migh Gir’s lecture, he would investigate all those rumors, and he would find out the truth! Maybe the professor would be a kindred spirit!

~~~

“I’m afraid that I have to go this way now”, Aidan informed Devin once they finally stood in front of the university building and pointed left. Aidan was currently studying linguistics, while Devin was attending lectures in both medicine and magical theory (mostly because Aidan had persuaded him to give university a try and not because he was so keen on academia – Devin disliked books and everything that had something to do with them). Their respective institutes were located in different parts of the university.

“I’ll see you this afternoon”, he added and quickly kissed the Mortalborn on the cheeks before he left. Devin watched him for a while, wondering if he should be happy about Aidan kissing him goodbye or disappointed because he had only kissed him on the cheek. Eventually, he decided to be happy and disappointed at the same time – and hurry up so that he wouldn’t be late for Professor Gir’s lecture. Normally, he didn’t care about being late, but he didn’t want to miss even a trill of a fellow criminal’s lecture.

This was going to be awesome!

Last edited by Devin on Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 546

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: The Strange Professor

Devin dumped his bag on the desk in front of him and plopped down on the chair a mere bit before a man entered the classroom, a man that looked so normal that the thief let out a loud and disappointed sigh. He had heard that some students were afraid of Professor Gir. He had expected him to have claws or vampire teeth or glowing eyes or weird magic mutations, but he didn’t have anything. Why exactly were they afraid of him?

Because of those weird zombie rumours? Because he might be a criminal? That he might be involved in illegal activities was no reason to be afraid of him! On the contrary, that was totally awesome! His fellow students, Devin decided and scoffed, were all idiots!

“Good trial, students”, the professor greeted them before he strode up to the blackboard that was located at the front of the room. He walked with purpose, and he held his head high, Devin noticed. Professor Gir had black hair and black eyes, he was dressed in a black suit, he was rather skinny, and he had quite a deep voice. It was a pleasant voice though, Devin decided.

“While my colleague Professor Jeeve talks to you about Necromancy and Defiance, I wil have the pleasure of talking to you about Becoming. I will only teach you the theory of course though – we do not use any magic during these classes, besides, I’m not a Becomer”, he explained – which made Devin wonder what kind of mage he was, if he was a mage at all. Was he a Defier? A Transmuter? An Empath? He hoped that he was not an Attuner!

Attunement was the most boring magic ever. It sucked!

“Becoming or Transmogrification as some call it, is a magic that uses totems to guide the transformation of one being into another. Becoming is more than an illusion, it is an actual transformation. You don’t just look like somebody else, you actually become them. If you are a mage, your mutations will carry over to your new form though”, Professor Gir said before he removed a bottle from the backpack that he had brought with him, opened it and took a few gulps. The drink was red, Devin noticed, blood red. His heart began to beat faster. Maybe Aidan had been wrong, and Professor Gir was undead after all?

He was just wondering how to best confirm his suspicion, when the professor set the bottle down again and continued to speak, “In order to create a totem, a Becomer needs to take the Three Sovereign Substances – bone, blood and hair from their target. Of course, Becomers cannot only transform into another person or an animal, they can also blend aspects of different creatures or people. Transformation is often painful, and it is of course not instantaneous, but takes time …”

When Professor Gir talked about blending aspects of different creatures, Devin’s eyes lit up. He was so excited about it that he momentarily stopped wondering about the professor’s true nature – and didn’t pay any attention to what he talked about next – how self-totems were created (it usually involved cutting a finger or a toe off). After what Professor Jeeve had said about necromancy and the plague in Rynmere, he would never become a necromancer, but maybe he’d become a Becomer! He’d be able to grow wings, just like his rival Kalortah. Actually, he’d look much better than that stupid Avriel with wings!
word count: 588

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

The lecture lasted approximately a break and a half, but to Devin it felt like mere bits because it was just so interesting. He nearly hung on the professor’s lips, and he paid attention to everything that he said - which was something that he almost never did during his other classes.

When the lecture was over, Professor Gir threw his bottle into the trashcan that stood next to his desk – and Devin suddenly remembered why he had initially been so eager to attend the man’s lecture again. He’d wanted to find out what the professor really was and, possibly, investigate those other rumours as well because he might be a fellow criminal.

For that reason, he remained seated while his classmates stood and quickly left the room, until he was the only one left (Professor Gir had looked at him for a moment, shrugged his shoulders and departed as well). Taking a quick look around, Devin grabbed his back, darted towards the desk and pulled the bottle out of the trashcan, retching a little as he did so.

Shuddering, he inspected the bottle and sniffed at it, furrowing his brow in confusion as he did so. He knew what blood smelled like. He was a doctor and had stitched enough people back up to be familiar with the scent. This was definitely not blood. The bottle smelled like …

Furrowing his brow even more and wondering if he should really do it and if he might catch a nasty disease if he did, the Mortalborn tentatively lifted the bottle that still contained a few drops of the professor’s drink after all to his lips and took a small sip. It didn’t taste like blood either. It tasted like … tomato juice! What kind of shyke was that? Why did Professor Gir drink tomato juice? Tomato juice was the worst drink ever!

With a look of utter revulsion on his face, he threw the bottle back into the trashcan and left the classroom in a hurry, disgusted and utterly disappointed. By the time he walked through the door of his house, his mood had improved somewhat again though. Professor Gir might not be a blood drinking monster or a zombie, but he might still be a criminal. He would investigate that rumor next. Besides, he finally knew which magic he would learn.

He couldn’t wait to tell Aidan the news when he came home!
word count: 407

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Yrmellyn Cole
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Attuned to the Art
Renown: 106
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Thread Rewards

Overview

There's such a youthful and lighthearted feel to your treads about Devin and his adventures with his friends "with occasional benefits". They are boys and Devin is often very boyish in his views and his reasoning. It's typical for the PC to feel inspired by thinking himself a big bad criminal. And ... I can't believe that he actually tasted that juice! I'm looking forward to reading the next part!

Devin

Rewards and consequences

Knowledge:

Research: Becoming: Also called Transmogrification
Research: Becoming: Is an actual transformation
Research: Becoming: The Three Sovereign Substances
Research: Becoming: Allows you to blend aspects of different people
Research: Becoming: Transformations are painful and take time
Detection x1

Skill Review: Appropriate

Please use the image code below to stamp your request !

Code: Select all

[align=center][img]/gallery/image/15360/medium[/img][/align]
word count: 145
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “University of Scalvoris (Viden Academy)”