A Trip to The Library

Balthazar meets Doran

Stronghold of education and learning, this fortress is in one of the coldest areas of Idalos and home to many knowledge seekers in a variety of disciplines. However, unknown to most, below the city are those who suffer for the sake of science. While all are welcome, not everyone will be treated as they expect

Moderator: Tempest

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Private Investigator
Renown: +110
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Re: A Trip to The Library

Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:59 pm

16 Vhalar 719
Balthazar nodded in reply to the question about why he'd been pacing as Doran reached out to touch his hand. Most people felt cold to the objectively warmer Balthazar but Doran was just a little colder than the rest. Balthazar immediately linked it to the weather in Viden as most who did not know the truth would and thought nothing more of it. When Doran had his fill of Balthazar's hand and released it with the note about how he might have thought Balthazar had a fever the mage's face twisted in thought. He'd never considered that aspect of the mutation and now that it had been said for him he could imagine the various deceptive uses of the feature.

Then the topic swung back to the power granted by sparks. Doran kept using that word, power but it was not power that Balthazar associate with the spark. It was magic. Power was the magics outward expression and as Balthazar thought to try and explain it he could not find the words. So he simply nodded to Doran's assessment that the power was worth the mutations. "All I do is try to control my sparks." Balthazar spoke the sentence in a soft tone of melancholy. Everything he did- every time he practiced and every book he read on the subject was intended to help him learn to control the magic within him so that he would not become like Morgan- or Isabella as she called herself these days- and Xanax who had become a victim to his spark's desire to grow long before Isabella killed him. "It's a losing battle. What I can't control I must learn to coexist with."

And Balthazar moved on to what Doran had said about non-mages and the city. "Just look at any Lotharro or Ithecal." Balthazar replied in a gentle jest. He'd met a few of each in his time and they were always something unique. And on the topic of the city he said "There is something about it. I haven't been here long but that much I can tell. I thought it to be the library but..." Balthazar's voice trailed off as he looked around at the books for a moment before refocusing on Doran. "Maybe there is more too it. You've been around a little longer than I, what do you think?"
word count: 421

Defiance Mutations

• Friend of the Flame: Balthazar's skin is always warm to the touch, even in frigid environments, and all flames within two feet lean towards him.
  • Kissed By Fire: Balthazar's skin glows with an internal heat. It isn't noticeable out in the day but in most rooms and at night it is clear to see. Balthazar's wounds mend themselves slowly and when using Defiance his eyes begin to glow red and emit a soft smoke.
  • The Refined: Balthazar is the center of a ten foot diameter circle of high static electricity.
  • The Unburnt: When Balthazar manifests flames, they are blue.

Rupture Mutations

• The Dyslexic: Balthazar suffers from dyslexia when attempting to read and write while immobile. While on the move he is actually much faster at both tasks and seems to gain a better understanding of the information he is reading.

Doran
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: +310
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10
Medal count: 22

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:51 pm

A moment earlier, Balthazar had claimed that he didn’t regret becoming a mage, but as the Mortalborn listened to him now, he thought that he could detect a hint of melancholy in his voice. He had never met a mage that had called their relationship with their spark a losing battle, that had been so aware of the negative consequences of allowing the parasite to become one with them. Perhaps, he thought as he considered the man opposite of him again, Balthazar really was one of the more reasonable members of his kind.

For a few moments, he simply sat there quietly, pondering the situation at hand, before he spoke, “Just because you think you cannot control the spark, doesn’t mean that there isn’t a way to do so – or at least influence which mutations you will acquire in the future. As I told you before, I’m an alchemist and a doctor – and something more, and I have studied the supernatural quite extensively. I have access to tools that most can only dream of”, he informed the other man somewhat coolly.

While a part of him condemned Balthazar for allowing the spark to prey on his soul in the first place, another part of him was, perhaps, even more curious than before, about how the spark and the man’s mutations worked. He was, he had to admit, rather surprised that the mages themselves didn’t question their nature more. Did nobody tell them what they agreed to when they were being initiated? Or were those things kept from them on purpose?

“I have an office at the Academy as well as a small private laboratory in my residence in the Obsidian Prism”, he spoke. “If you want to look into this matter further, you can visit me there”, he offered before he remarked, “Maybe it’s just the fact that Viden is surrounded by ice and snow – or maybe it’s Yvithia’s influence.”

The Immortal of Intelligence who ruled Viden was his aunt, and while he was rather ambivalent as far as most of his father’s people were concerned, he found her tolerable, for the most part. It was likely because of her that he was allowed to reside in the Obsidian Prism, a place that was normally reserved for the Aristocrats of Viden.
word count: 399

Items

Ring of Reversal: Doran owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Sesser

Ever Alluring I: The bearer has an enhanced constitution, staying strong and healthy in conditions where others would wilt and fall ill. Scars never remain, disease rarely seems to visibly touch the bearer, and he/she recovers from injuries much faster than the average member of their race. The bearer seems to age more slowly, though the effect is superficial rather than biological. In addition, everyone encountered is subconsciously attracted to the bearer, even those of incompatible sexual orientation. Those of alternate tastes may not feel compelled to flirt or pursue the marked, but the spark of incomprehensible arousal, however slight, is there all the same.
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:36 pm

16 Vhalar 719
Balthazar was more than amused by the man's curiosity but he couldn't help feeling the experimenting would be for naught- he'd already spent more than his fair share of time trying to learn to control his mutations and the success he had achieved was arguably enough for him. Balthazar had mastered defiance and for the most part he looked alright. Yet it was the rupture spark sitting in him and the thought of adding others in pursuit of more power that made Balthazar consider Doran's offer. Balthazar's study bad been limited by his resources at every turn.

In Yaralon, Balthazar was hard pressed to find any academic types like himself and as a result he had forged himself into less of a learner but Viden seemed to be filled with the academics. There were tool and instruments here that many Yari could only imagine- and Balthazar wanted to know about them. "The Obsidian Prism?" Balthazar repeated the name like a question. He'd not been in the city long enough to learn the names of the buildings- or he had and he just hadn't dedicated the time to it. He often still found himself moving from place to place looking for the large gates of his last city but in a little more time he'd adapt. He'd been lucky enough to figure out how to get to this place.

"Forgive me if it seems prying, but what tools? I've been limited to the observable and personally tactile phenomenon but I'm curious how you'd study it." As a mage you could never be to sure the person you were talking to wasn't trying to find a way to dissect you so Balthazar voiced his curiosity about the tools Doran might use to try and get to the bottom of the relationship between his spark and the mutations that it manifested. Balthazar's brows shot up slightly at the mention of Yvithia. That could very well be what made the city feel special and his agreement with Doran's statement was made clear with a nod.
word count: 373

Defiance Mutations

• Friend of the Flame: Balthazar's skin is always warm to the touch, even in frigid environments, and all flames within two feet lean towards him.
  • Kissed By Fire: Balthazar's skin glows with an internal heat. It isn't noticeable out in the day but in most rooms and at night it is clear to see. Balthazar's wounds mend themselves slowly and when using Defiance his eyes begin to glow red and emit a soft smoke.
  • The Refined: Balthazar is the center of a ten foot diameter circle of high static electricity.

Rupture Mutations

• The Dyslexic: Balthazar suffers from dyslexia when attempting to read and write while immobile. While on the move he is actually much faster at both tasks and seems to gain a better understanding of the information he is reading.

Doran
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:31 pm

There was something about Balthazar that made the son of Ziell wonder if the mortal doubted his skills or his ability to influence his condition. He was not offended though, but more amused than anything else, and for that reason he chose not to comment on it, for the time being. Instead he turned to answer the other man’s question. “The Obsidian Prism is located on the western edge of the city, not far from the cliffs. It is where the aristocrats live. I have a sizeable apartment there”, he informed him in a cool tone. He was not bragging about his residing in the Obsidian Prism – although it was quite unusual for an outsider to be allowed to live there – but merely stating a fact.

“As I told you before”, he replied as Balthazar inquired about his tools. “I am an alchemist. I am likely the most skilled alchemist in this part of the world. I am familiar with the art of Blood Magic, a way to replicate and influence divine and magical abilities without any of the usual side effects. On top of that, I own several artefacts that may be of use.” Again, he spoke relatively without arrogance. He was not bragging; he was not exaggerating his skills – he saw no point in that; from his experience, liars were always found out sooner or later – but only speaking the truth.

“Rest assured, Mister Black, that I do not intend to cause you any harm”, he spoke coolly, in case the mortal was worried about that. “Our conversation merely made me wonder about something, and I’d like to study the matter in more depth. If anything, you may benefit from it.” He paused for a moment, the books that he’d initially wanted to read long forgotten, before he remarked, “Let me know how you decide, Mister Black.”
word count: 320

Items

Ring of Reversal: Doran owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Sesser

Ever Alluring I: The bearer has an enhanced constitution, staying strong and healthy in conditions where others would wilt and fall ill. Scars never remain, disease rarely seems to visibly touch the bearer, and he/she recovers from injuries much faster than the average member of their race. The bearer seems to age more slowly, though the effect is superficial rather than biological. In addition, everyone encountered is subconsciously attracted to the bearer, even those of incompatible sexual orientation. Those of alternate tastes may not feel compelled to flirt or pursue the marked, but the spark of incomprehensible arousal, however slight, is there all the same.
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:03 pm

16 Vhalar 719
Balthazar nodded in response to the location of the Obsidian Prism. He'd likely have to get a map somewhere regardless for his further exploration of the city but the Obsidian Prism was certainly somewhere to go next now that Doran had made the offer. Part of Balthazar was drawn by the idea of the experiments, and part of him was drawn by the prospect of going somewhere he normally wouldn't. Yet it was what Doran said next that truly captured Balthazar's attention. "Blood magic?" He recalled Doran's claims to be a proficient alchemist and believed them, but he'd never encountered Blood Magic in Yaralon. It was two words which when linked together Balthazar thought they were far more awe inspiring than when the words were apart.

Balthazar mulled over all that Doran had said in his mind as he tried to come up with he decision. A mage allowing others to experiment on or with them- regardless of whether harm was intended or not- could often lead to trouble in Balthazar's experience. However that wouldn't stop him. It wouldn't stop the curiosity now festering in the dual sparked mage. Finally he seemed to decide what he was going to do with a nod towards Doran. "I would be honored to work with you." Balthazar spoke calmly to avoid betraying his hidden curiosity but the look that popped up on his face when Doran said Blood Magic had likely already given him away.
word count: 267

Defiance Mutations

Rupture Mutations

Doran
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:34 pm

“As I have already told you before“, the alchemist spoke. He didn’t mind the mage’s curiosity; in fact, he appreciated it and quite enjoyed telling him more about what he did – alchemy was, perhaps, the thing that he was most passionate about. “Blood Magic is a way to replicate the effects of domain magic and blessings with alchemy. All it takes is a drop of mage blood. Of course, I won’t take any of your blood without your consent. Drawing blood will likely not be necessary for what I have in mind anyway.”

The tone of the alchemist’s voice was calm and not unfriendly now; he meant to reassure the mortal and make him comfortable lest he took his decision to let him study his mutations back. He realized that the prospect of essentially becoming a test subject, even though he would benefit from the research, likely made the other man somewhat uneasy.

“As I said”, he told Balthazar. “I have an office at the Academy. In the afternoon and evening, I can usually be found in my private residence in the Obsidian Prism though. You are welcome to visit me in either of those places, Mister Black. I look forward to our …” He paused for a moment, trying to find the right word for what he planned on doing. “… collaboration. Simply tell people that Doran invited you, and you will be let in.”

It seemed, he realized as he looked at Balthazar again, as if they were curious about each other’s trade. Perhaps, he decided, he would teach him a way few things, if the experiment went well – and if Balthazar turned out to be willing to talk about those hazardous activities that he engaged in. He still found himself wondering if the man was more than just a private investigator and a mage of some skill and had not given up on finding out entirely.

For now, he simply rose from his chair though, realizing that some time had passed since they’d started talking and remarked, “I need to continue my studies now. Unless there’s something else you’d like to ask me?” he wanted to know and looked at Balthazar questioningly.
word count: 379

Items

Sesser

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:36 am

16 Vhalar 719
"I heard that when you first said it, I am just curious about the specifics but that's a topic for another time." Balthazar said of the topic of blood magic. He wanted to know more than the definition of the two words joined. He wanted to know how it was done and more importantly, how he could perform it. But it was something he was willing to table for another time. There was already much to be done. Balthazar wasn't particularly bothered at the thought of Doran drawing his blood- he'd certainly left enough around Yaralon that it was not precious to him. Though now that he knew his blood could be used to replicate his magic to some degree he might be more cautious.

"I'll leave you to your studies. I look forward to working with you." Balthazar replied when Doran said he needed to return to his studies. Balthazar collected the books he had with him and returned to the place he'd been sitting formerly. He took the books on magic and returned them to the places where he'd found them but he kept the ones of unarmed combat so he could to a little more reading about it. He'd find little more than some advice on how to draw force through your punch by turning at the hip before deciding to call it a day. Then he'd leave the place that had proved quite wondrous in search of another. Doran had given Balthazar much to consider, and even more to do.
word count: 279

Defiance Mutations

Rupture Mutations

Octopie
General Staff
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 1

Staff

Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:01 pm

CLAIMED
word count: 17