Learning to Listen: Part 2

A city thrust in a land of magical corruption, where survival isn't taken for granted, Yaralon is a jewel on Eastern Idalos. It is world renown for its mercenary companies, for their spiritual culture that appears a bit backwards and counter intuitive to more "civilized" types. Yaralon is where the strong go to discover that they are anything but, and mercenaries learn that only Yari mercs are true mercs.

Moderator: Tempest

Praetorum
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: +255
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 4
Medal count: 4

Contribution

Milestones

Learning to Listen: Part 2

Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:50 am

Date: 31st of Ymiden, Arc 719

Weapons: None
Armor: None

Buffs: N/A
Debuffs: N/A

Edyn's frequency, Praetorum found, was a quick, erratic thing, more exuberant than Marken's, and less solemn than his own. It suited her, he decided, after listening for a moment. Curiously, he found he could pick out the notes of soul and human immediately, despite not looking for them in particular. Was it him recognizing them, or his spark? A question for later. 

For now, he had a game to play. 

"Ready?" Edyn asked, bouncing on the balls of her feet with a broad grin. 

"Ready." Prae replied. And then in a flash, Edyn was gone, vanished into the depths of Marken's estate. "I have to say, when you said you wanted to teach me a new technique, I didn't expect hide and seek to get involved." Marken chuckled softly. "Let me guess; you're not actually going to teach me how to use this technique, are you?"

"You don't consider this teaching? I'm hurt."

A fair point. "You're not going to teach me this technique the way Edyn would." Prae amended. "Her way is much more straightforwards. "

"I've noticed. I find rupturers tend to be a little too... impatient to be effective teachers, by my metric. Although in Edyn’s case, she was like this long before she ever gained that particular spark. No, she’s done well enough in instructing you, but overall I find teaching is far more effective when the student has to discover these techniques by themselves, especially with magic, where the experience itself is always so subjective."

<I never knew a human could talk so much.> Sap whispered in his mind, slightly awed.

“There’s always a risk that by imposing your own methods of visualization into the student, you end up stunting their overall growth if they end up working along a line of thinking ill suited to them. This is less of a concern in physical spheres, of course, and both Hone and Defiance are very physical magics, but Attunement is a different beast all together.”

<He does have a tendency to ramble.> Prae agreed.

“I encountered exactly this issue when I first started learning transmutation, and it took years to strip out some of the bad habits I developed in that time.” He paused to take a breath, then sighed. Well, I think Edyn’s had more than enough time to hide now.” Prae straightened up as Marken continued. “Try to find her just by using Attunement. Off you go, chop chop.”

word count: 450
Let's play 'What's Weird About Prae'

Head

• A fiery rune shines under his right eye

Arms

• A ring of blue runes floats over Prae's left wrist
  • A silver shield marks the back of his right hand

Misc

• His tail is about eight feet long, usually knotted around his waist

Surroundings

• Wind gusts with every step he takes
Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Re: Learning to Listen: Part 2

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:31 am

<Finally!> Sap cried out as Prae got to his feet.

<Don’t be rude, he’s helpful.>

<He can’t hear me, it's fine. And he spends so long talking, all the time. It’s sooo boring.>

<Hush you. I’m trying to concentrate.>

Stepping through the door Edyn had disappeared through, Prae set his focus on the song he could still hear inside of him. It was strange, though. He could hear his own song as clearly as ever, but Edyn and Marken’s songs... Both were still present in his mind, but they were... hazy, in a sense. It was like listening to a conversation through a thick wooden door. He could identify each song, but the notes were so blurred together that he couldn’t make them out. 

Frowning, Prae stepped back through the door. As soon as he laid eyes on the man, his frequency sharpened in Prae's mind, growing distinct once again. The man paid him no attention, already leafing through his book, and Prae turned away again. 

<So, I can't listen to a frequency if I'm not near the person? Why did he ask me to attune to Edyn, then?>

<Practice?> Sap suggested.

<.... No, that doesn't make any sense. He said I should use attunement to find her, right? I assumed that meant something like, picking out notes to figure out where she had decided to hide. But if I can't read her frequency, that can't be what he meant. But then, how....> Prae frowned as he wandered aimlessly through the estate, trying to work it out. <Maybe.... if I get close to her her frequency will clear up? But that involves a lot of wandering around, and I'd have to accidentally stumble across her. That doesn't sound like Marken, to rely on something like that to teach me.>

<Can't you still hear the song?> Sap wondered, a curl of puzzlement in its mind. 

<I can, but it's too blurry for me to understand.>

<But... you can still hear it. Can't you just follow the sound?>

<This isn't a physical sound; I can't do that.> Prae paused then, thinking. <Can I?>

Could he? The sound was in his mind, but... could it be as simple as just trying to follow it to its source? Closing his eyes, Prae focused intently on Edyn's frequency, and started to pace back and forth, trying to discern if there was any change in its volume or 'direction'.

As he turned to and fro, he began to feel something strange in the frequency, an odd sort of.... to call it a pull would have implied an activeness to the feeling that simply wasn't there. It wasn't that it was louder in one direction either, not when it existed solely in his mind. But there was a sense of direction to it, a vague idea that the sound was coming from somewhere without anything to actually indicate how he knew that. 

Overall, it was something of an unsettling sensation. Still, Praetorum followed it, weaving through the hallways of Marken's home, letting that slight, strange pull guide him towards Edyn. It took some time—Marken had a rather expansive estate—but eventually, Praetorum reached the room that Edyn was hiding in. 

Or more accurately, hiding under.

word count: 595

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:57 am

All of Marken's floors were stone, which Prae was thankful for. If they'd been wooden, this would have been much more difficult. 

Stepping into the room, Prae found a nice, unoccupied space, and took in a few deep breaths. He hadn't done this very much, but there was no time like the present to start.

With a sound like a growl, the earth swallowed him up, sudden as a bird taking flight, and Praetorum was plunged into darkness as the earth Enveloped him. But he didn't need his eyes to see, not when Edyn's frequency tugged at his mind, alerting him that she was rapidly moving through the earth. Praetorum followed, trusting in his attunement spark even as his mentor tried to shake him off, zigzagging through the ground, even conjuring boulders behind her. Prae didn't bother to move out of their way, focused entirely on chasing his mentor; instead he simply softened them, and crashed right through, solid stone parting like mud in his wake. 

A sudden new change in direction, this time directly up. Prae's head broke the surface into bright daylight, and he surged upwards; his feet barely touched the ground before the earth passed him to the air, and then he was flying, chasing after Edyn as she soared through the air. Even as he chased her, Prae knew that just with flight alone he would never catch her; he had grown in leaps and bounds over the two seasons he'd had this spark, but she still had far more experience than he did; already he could see the distance between them was growing in inches. Sap couldn't help here, its powers extended only to physical attributes, and Edyn was using none of those. Wasn't she? 

<Sap!> Prae called to his diri, who hopped eagerly to attention in his soul. <Drain her sight.>

<Ooh, yummy.> And without much more fanfare, the spirit reached out with ethereal tendrils, and reached for a space just in front of Edyn. 

Praetorum heard his mentor gasp as her vision blurred, and grinned victoriously as she immediately slowed her flight. To fly half blind was dangerous indeed, especially in a land like Yaralon, where monsters of all sorts owned the skies. He tackled her in mid-air, catching the human against his chest. The chase was over, but his Flow spark wasn't satisfied. It wanted... he wanted....

Speed. 

At Prae's request, the wind under them dissipated, leaving the two of them utterly unsupported as they started to fall towards the ground. "Bad idea!" Edyn shouted into his ear, but made no attempt to call the winds back as the ground approached. Praetorum said nothing, waiting until he could make out the figure in the courtyard looking up at them to call the air to envelop them again, and drag them to a stop before they could hit the ground.

He'd misjudged the distance, it seemed, or his own strength in defiance; he and Edyn came to a stop a good fifteen feet above the ground, and he floated down the rest of the way, making a note to himself that he could leave it a little longer next time. 

Marken waited for both of them to land to throw his hands up in disgust. "Defiers." He grumbled, and walked away. "Insane, the lot of you."
word count: 601

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Nursia
Race: Undead (Ghost)
Profession: OOC Account
Renown: 0
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 1

Contribution

Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:12 pm

Not a bad thread at all.

The only comment I could have, was wanting there to be a bit more. But that was resolved upon reading through your prior thread.

There are no issues in grammar or structure. Thank you for spacing out dialog. Without that, I would've internally shrieked the whole way through.

Enjoy your rewards!

Praetorum

Rewards

Knowledges:
Attunement: Frequency - Edyn
Attunement: Have to be near to source to read a frequency
Attunement: Compass can be use to find an active frequency
Attunement: Known notes can be picked out immediately
Defiance: Melding with the earth to chase someone
Defiance: Dragging yourself out of freefall
Wealth:
Renown:
+5
EXP:
+10

Feedback

Understand that all criticisms are done in good faith. It would be a greater disrespect to not say anything in the face of problems. Please contact me through this account's inbox if you wish to further communicate on the matter of improvement, or if you feel as though anything is unduly harsh.

Player #2

Rewards

Knowledges:
Wealth:
Renown:
EXP:

Feedback

Understand that all criticisms are done in good faith. It would be a greater disrespect to not say anything in the face of problems. Please contact me through this account's inbox if you wish to further communicate on the matter of improvement, or if you feel as though anything is unduly harsh.
word count: 234

Return to “Yaralon”