Song of the Elements: Prelude

A city thrust in a land of magical corruption, where survival isn't taken for granted, Yaralon is a jewel on Eastern Idalos. It is world renown for its mercenary companies, for their spiritual culture that appears a bit backwards and counter intuitive to more "civilized" types. Yaralon is where the strong go to discover that they are anything but, and mercenaries learn that only Yari mercs are true mercs.

Moderator: Tempest

Praetorum
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Mercenary
Renown: +255
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 4
Medal count: 4

Contribution

Milestones

Song of the Elements: Prelude

Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:13 am

Date: 53rd of Ymiden, Arc 719

Weapons: None
Armor: Leather

Buffs: N/A
Debuffs: N/A

For once, it was Praetorum setting the stage for a bout of training with Balthazar. He'd found this spot while flying, and it has struck him as such a perfect spot for defiance training that his mind had jumped immediately to Balthazar. He'd already sent a message to Balthazar's house, so all there was left to do was prepare the arena. 

Two things had attracted this place to Prae: its relatively flat surface, and its proximity to a river. If he set torches around to mark out boundaries, they could have a combat space with all four elements present, something Praetorum found deeply appealing.  Now, the question was, did he want to have the river as one of the edges of their training space, or going down the middle?

<What do you think, Sap?>

<I think it's silly to set boundaries for a fight. Why can't you just go where you want when you're in the middle of fighting?> The diri popped out from his back, and leaned over one of Prae's shoulder.

<Well, these aren't exactly strict boundaries. I just want a rough idea of the area I should clear out.>

<Fiiiiiine. I think you should put it on the edge then.>

Sounded like an arbitrary choice from his Diri, but that was good enough for Prae. He set about clearing out a rough square of grassland, using defiance to flatten the ground more and remove any boulders, logs or debris that might interfere with them. The river made for a nice stopping point, but Prae did clear out a bit of the far bank too, just in case. 

Then, he started setting torches into the ground around the area he'd cleared, far enough apart that two ithecal could have walked shoulder to shoulder between them and not touched either, but still close enough that both defiers would be able to draw from them.

Then, when all of that was done, he sat himself in the centre of the square, and began to meditate, waiting for his friend to arrive.
word count: 382
Let's play 'What's Weird About Prae'

Head

• A fiery rune shines under his right eye

Arms

• A ring of blue runes floats over Prae's left wrist
  • A silver shield marks the back of his right hand

Misc

• His tail is about eight feet long, usually knotted around his waist

Surroundings

• Wind gusts with every step he takes
Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Private Investigator
Renown: +75
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Re: Song of the Elements: Prelude

Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:42 am

53 Ymiden 719
Balthazar's life had become all manner of complicated in the past few trials and so when he received a letter inviting him to spar from Praetorum, he was naturally a little skeptical that it really was his old friend who was trying to contact him. Balthazar began to wonder if it might be another agent of the cult looking to strike him where he'd least expect it. All the same he had decided that he would go the the location the letter mentioned. If it was Praetorum he would meet an old friend and enjoy a good spar with good company. If it was the cult he would dispose them before they could dispose of him.

Balthazar wore a plain white shirt and black pants with boots. He'd taken to wearing them when Emea had closed and he'd yet to fully adapt to life without them again. The injuries he'd sustained in recent fights further prompted him to wear shoes around so that he wouldn't keep getting his toes stepped on. When he arrived in the clearing that Praetorum had prepared for them and saw the devices he had set up, Balthazar smiled. He could feel that the elements adored the Ithecal in a way they didn't yet adore Balthazar. It was impressive to see his progress.

"Hello, old friend. I see you have prepared an arena for us. And a very nice one at that."
word count: 260

Defiance Mutations

• Friend of the Flame: Balthazar's skin is always warm to the touch, even in frigid environments, and all flames within two feet lean towards him.
  • Kissed By Fire: Balthazar's skin glows with an internal heat. It isn't noticeable out in the day but in most rooms and at night it is clear to see. Balthazar's wounds mend themselves slowly and when using Defiance his eyes begin to glow red and emit a soft smoke.

Rupture Mutations

• The Dyslexic: Balthazar suffers from dyslexia when attempting to read and write while immobile. While on the move he is actually much faster at both tasks and seems to gain a better understanding of the information he is reading.

Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:06 am

Prae's breathing evened out as he slipped into his meditative trance, finding that space between action and agitation, where he moved without cluttering his mind with worry and distress. 

It was growing easier and easier to slip into that space, Prae was finding, but it was still difficult to act without slipping out of it. The tasks of everyday life were routine enough that he could perform them all peacefully, but fighting, training, even thinking too deeply, all those would often cause his concentration to crack still. Perhaps that was something else to train today? 

Prae blinked at the sound of footsteps nearby, and turned to find Balthazar approaching. He smiled at the human, and stood, approaching to clap him on the back. "Thank you, I do my best. Not as elaborate as the training range you set up last time, but it'll do for our purposes."

He paused then, thinking about how to bring up a question that had been burning in his mind for some time. "I suppose we should discuss first what sort of training we'll do and how, but I wanted to ask something else first."

Prae frowned, the tip of his tail twitching where it was knotted around his waist. "When Emea returned... did you feel like anything was different? That you were remembering a... a dream, I suppose." He rubbed at his muzzle, brow furrowed. "I had something of a strange experience, you see. I was wondering if you'd experienced something similar."

word count: 286

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:39 pm

53 Ymiden 719
Balthazar was oddly glad to see Praetorum waiting for him alone. He couldn't help his concerns that this was still a set up but it went a long way to see Praetorum so gladly receive him. Prae told Balthazar it was not as elaborate as the one Balthazar had set up for them and the mage made a face of disbelief. He disagreed because he had simply found a flat land and brought instruments to work with. Prae had done the difficult task and found a place where all four elements could converge. It felt natural. It felt right. It wasn't manufactured like Balthazar's had been and it would mean they did not have to manifest the elements to use them. The topic seemed to be turning towards what type of training they'd perform and Balthazar opened his mouth to suggest a spar after some warm up but the topic shifted to Emea's closure.

Balthazar's face hardened slightly. Was it a coincidence that Prae had asked him about the first time he encountered the cult? Or was it some set up to a surprise attack. Balthazar didn't want to assume the worst so he answered honestly with the hope that the cult had not gotten to Prae. "I had been kidnapped by mage hunters when Emea was closed. When it reopened I was in the middle of an escape. I hardly remember what it felt like because the moment I could throw a ball of fire I burned the mage hunters so badly that I lost most of the feeling in my upper body. Sometimes I think I still can't feel my fingers... but you're right, something was different." Balthazar paused and thought the question he didn't want to ask... but he had to. "When it closed, did you flay for power?"
word count: 329

Defiance Mutations

• Friend of the Flame: Balthazar's skin is always warm to the touch, even in frigid environments, and all flames within two feet lean towards him.
  • Kissed By Fire: Balthazar's skin glows with an internal heat. It isn't noticeable out in the day but in most rooms and at night it is clear to see. Balthazar's wounds mend themselves slowly and when using Defiance his eyes begin to glow red and emit a soft smoke.

Rupture Mutations

• The Dyslexic: Balthazar suffers from dyslexia when attempting to read and write while immobile. While on the move he is actually much faster at both tasks and seems to gain a better understanding of the information he is reading.

Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:31 am

Prae's eyes widened as Balthazar told him what had happened to him in the time Emea had been closed off. "Mage hunters?" He asked incredulously. "In Yaralon?" He'd need to talk to Marken about this if it were true; he seemed to know half the mages in the city, and could probably warn them if needed. He shook his head slowly. "You've had a rough time of it, my friend."

Balthazar's question afterwards gave him pause; he thought he knew what the other mage was really asking, and he couldn't help but remember a small, weak body cradled in his arms, his sparks going dormant in a terrible ether storm, the pain and thirst clawing at him from the inside, encouraging, enticing him to....

He pushed the memories from his head, carefully packing them away to some distant corner of his mind. "I flayed the flames, two or three times." He frowned, and reached up to touch the rune under his eye. "I'm still not sure whether this was an encouragement or a deterrent from my spark. Aside from flames, no. Though I won't lie to you, it was a difficult thing at times. Even the small amount of ether you can drain from the fire causes a thirst like nothing else." Praetorum grimaced. "If you haven't done so, I don't recommend it, except as a last resort."

"The reason I asked about the 30th is... this might sound absurd to you, but I remembered a dream that I'd had... at some point, I don't recall. It's all still rather hazy to me. But at least one of the people I saw in my dream remembered it as well; I was wondering if you'd also been part of it and I just hadn't seen you." He frowned, shaking his head a little. "Well, it's no real concern if you haven't, it was more—" hope—"curiosity than anything else."

"As for our training,—" Prae smiled, starting to attune to Balthazar—"I was thinking maybe a quick spar to get the blood flowing, and then going through each element and try and learn from one another. Possibly another spar afterwards to try out some new ideas. What do you think?"

word count: 416

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:25 pm

53 Ymiden 719
Balthazar was surprised to hear that the Ithecal had flayed the flame and somewhat comforted to know he was equally as conflicted about it. He was somehwat worried for the safety of his friend, and somewhat worried about being flayed. Ultimately he gave nothing more than a nod to dismiss the topic and listened to what Prae said next. He respected the Ithecal but the mage did not need to know what Balthazar had done. He didn't need to know that Balthazar had learned how to flay the flames. He didn't need to know that Balthazar's spark seemed to enjoyed it. Balthazar felt conflicted over the act of flaying enough as it was. He decided silently that it would be best to let that topic die and focus on Praetorum's dream.

"Dreams are a complicated thing. I've been discovering that a little bit lately. I very well may have been but I can't recall. Too many blows to the head in the time since likely... and poisonings. " Balthazar replied about the dream. It did intrigue him but he truly couldn't remember when he'd slept or what he'd dreamed while drugged. When Praetorum moved on to suggest his training routine Balthazar smiled and nodded. It seemed more than fit to help them both learn though he expected he'd learn a little more from Praetorum at first. "That sounds like an excellent idea. Just give me a moment to take my boots off."

Balthazar knelt down and unlaced his boots before carefully pulling them off and setting them a little out of the way. He didn't like to have his toes stepped on but when he was surrounded by the elements as he was now he felt it would be better to let his feet feel the earth. Balthazar took a deep breath in and brought his hand up above his head, joining them and then bringing them down to the center of his chest as he breathed out. Then he turned his shoulders towards Praetorum and stood with his palms facing out to the Ithecal.
word count: 372

Defiance Mutations

Rupture Mutations

Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:34 am

Balthazar's frequency, Prae noted with interest, was a lot like Marken's; steady and calm, but with an underlying tension, like a coiled snake, poised to spring at a moment's notice. As the human made his preparations, Prae familiarized himself with the man's song, catching a few fragments of familiar notes; determination, tranquility, human, and so forth. He was still slow in grasping the whole of a frequency, but that was alright. 

What Prae wanted to try to-trial was not to understand all of Balthazar that there was to know, but to see if he would be able to detect changes in his frequency in the middle of combat. It would, he expected, be something of a delicate balance, maintaining a meditative state and keeping an eye on Balthazar's frequency, while still focusing on the battle at hand. 

Actually, to be perfectly honest, Praetorum expected to fail miserably, but that was alright. Practice and drilling was all very well and good, but Praetorum had always found he learned best when his blood was hot and his body aching. Marken had helped him set the groundwork for these new skills, but now it was up to Prae to fail until he succeeded. 

Rolling his shoulders, Praetorum started to settle into a wide, steady stance, then paused. "Oh, almost forgot." Straightening up, Prae unknotted his tail from his hip, and unwound it from around his waist until its full new length lashed behind him. Smiling, he settled back into his steady stance. "There we go. Shall we begin?"

word count: 295

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:03 am

53 Ymiden 719
Balthazar felt somewhat like a fool for not noticing Praetorum's absent tail until he unfurled it. In hindsight it seemed like a big thing to overlook but Balthazar had been fairly distracted with his own thoughts. It didn't really matter but it was good for Balthazar that he saw the tail unfurled now so e would remember to account for it in the fight. Balthazar remembered that Praetorum had learned to adapt various moves to use his tail rather than legs so the extra appendage had some offensive uses. Balthazar had no way to know that Praetorum would already be distracted in their fight by his alternate goals. He didn't know Praetorum was an attuner but once again, it did not matter.

As the bits drew closer to the beginning of their sparring session Balthazar's mind narrowed to focus on his breathing and the few other elements that matter. He honed his focus to his ether reserves and the way his body felt. He let his mind shift through all the motion it sensed around him and he counted the bits in his head that he breathed in before breathing out. Then he turned his focus outwards to Praetorum and gave him a nod to indicate he was prepared to begin. He could feel the elements naturally resisting him while he called them to attack a defier but he pushed the elements to achieve his goal. With two swift jabs into the air Balthazar sent both a blast of fire and wind towards Praetorum.
word count: 275

Defiance Mutations

Rupture Mutations

Praetorum
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:58 am

Balthazar's frequency stilled slightly as the man breathed evenly, a soft ringing of steel rising above the rest of the noise; it was a note of focus, Prae knew, of a concentration so deep it felt like it required barely any effort. Prae knew he would hear it in himself, if he listened to his own frequency.

He did not, instead choosing to focus on Balthazar. A note dipped in the human's song, and man dipped his head towards Prae, a silent indication that he was prepared. Praetorum did the same, a slight smile twitching over his muzzle.

Another note sharpened in Prae's mind, a change he couldn't recognize quickly enough, and then Balthazar was in motion, two quick punches shooting projectiles towards Prae's face.

The last time they'd trained, Praetorum was found that where Balthazar used a stomp to encourage the earth, Prae could use a tail slap. He performed one now, and the earth surged upward. The flame splashed harmlessly against the packed dirt, as did the blast of wind, and still it rose, high enough to obscure even Praetorum's height and bulk. Then the Ithecal slammed his open palm against the slab of soil, sending it hurtling towards Balthazar. 

As the earth closed the distance to Balthazar, Praetorum did the same, using the earth as cover to close the distance between them, and try and get in a strike. And even as he charged, some part of his mind watched his opponent's frequency, hoping to hear something useful.

word count: 292

Head

Arms

Misc

Surroundings

Balthazar Black
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki

Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:35 pm

53 Ymiden 719
When the chunk of earth rose to defend Praetorum, Balthazar instinctively moved inwards. He closed distance with the intent to weaponize and use sections of Praetorum's own wall to attack him but he also closed the distance so that he would bring Praetorum into his range of motion sensing but before he could really get close enough to chunks of earth came hurtling towards him. Instinctively Balthazar began to move his arms in a circle, wanting to coax the wind to knock the stones aside but he felt the elements resist and instead fed ether to his other spark, tearing space loudly to open a portal large enough that Praetorum's boulders could fit.

Balthazar would open an egriss to the right of where he expected Praetorum to be so that his rocks would fly that way but then something happened that Balthazar had not expected. Praetorum used his rock as cover and got closer so when the rock was swallowed by the portal Balthazar had created Balthazar's eyes widened in panic and he tried to quickly shut it before Praetorum moved through as well. Balthazar knew the portal break apart when Praetorum ran through the rim of it because the Ithecal was tall. He also knew that it would push Praetorum with a lot of force back out which ever side most of his body was on if the Ithecal did not stop himself from moving through it.

Balthazar did not have a plan of attack passed closing the portal because he wanted to try and stop his friend from painfully getting jettisoned out of it, so Praetorum had a relatively free shot if he managed to stop from going through the portal.
word count: 303

Defiance Mutations

Rupture Mutations

Return to “Yaralon”