[Uthaldria] Here we go again

This is a forum where you can put travel threads, wilderness threads not included in city forums and where you can find lore for cities without mods.

Moderator: Octopie

User avatar
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:14 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +125
Character Sheet
Secrets
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 8

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Re: [Uthaldria] Here we go again

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:24 pm

Image
Vivian smiled at Varlum when he asked if her and Faith had a secret for dealing with idiots and shook her head. "I raised to etiquette, and some parts of my upbringing still cling to me." she said, shrugging slightly, before nodding when Faith said that coming in wide awake had been a good idea. "I'll admit I didn't expect that we'd be risking trouble just for being Blessed, but it's good we know that may cause trouble with the locals." she said, before grinning at Varlum's comment about his lack of strategy. "In spite of my best efforts, tactical thinking hasn't taken hold yet." she said, before looking up at Varlum. "Don't think I've given up, though. I'll make a tactician out of you yet." she said, before they got underway.

While the trip hadn't been easy, they hadn't really had to do much fighting. She didn't think it would be that easy through the whole trip though, so she didn't drop her guard. When Faith came up with a way for them to communicate, she nodded and let her thoughts carry over their new system. "Good plan, doctor. Saves breath in a fight too, if the spirits communicate for us." she sent over the link, before quieting her thoughts for the remainder of the journey. Faith's system would only work if no one ran their mouth needlessly over the link.

When Faith brought the creatures to their attention, Vivian readied her shield but didn't yet draw her sword, gathering lightning under her feet as she let Faith try to speak to the creatures. When they reacted to Faith's introduction with what seemed to Vivian to be an intimidation tactic and an approach, she used the lightning under her feet to leap between Faith and the creatures, drawing her sword as she did so. "Varlum, use your ax. These things may well be poisonous." she sent to her ex-squire over the mental link their spirits gave them. Then she stared down the approaching creature. "That's far enough, if you please. We don't want a fight, but trying to intimidate us won't work, so if you can talk, tell us what you're after. Otherwise, bugger off." she said, gathering lightning under feet again as she spoke, the crackle mixing in the crackling that the sparks dancing across her armor made.
word count: 418
User avatar
Pig Boy
General Staff
Posts: 621
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:54 pm
Race: Prophet
Profession: Storyteller Lead
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 8

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Re: [Uthaldria] Here we go again

Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:40 pm

Image





The male sniffed the air ever closer to Faith, which gave the three companions a closer look of the creature that was in front of them. With gaunt, skeletal faces, large curled horns on either side of their temples, and sharpened teeth, clearly this was a beast not to be trifled with.

Yet they didn't seem placated by Faith, Vivian's, or Varlum's efforts to communicate. If anything, it made the male ever bolder. But before he could leap forward and pounce on Faith or Vivian or Varlum, a huge, hulking female let out an air rending snarl. With a massive mitt and claws she smacked him against the ground, pinning the male there, and jealously snarling at Faith.

On the other side of the road, Faith would see through the eyes of PB, another large female, stalking the brush and just observing the proceedings for now. It didn''t appear as territorial as the specimen in front of them.

The male did not take his pinning to the ground with good grace. He nipped at his mate's paw, snarling and squirming and fighting.

The female pounded him with her other paw, roaring at everyone and anyone that would hear her. Surely if there were any civilization centers around, they'd hear the commotion.

The male seemed to give up, when the superior statured female kept him pinned for a good while, and he calmed down. Then, she dragged him off into the brush, snarling over her shoulder as a warning not to follow them.

Shortly after, they'd hear the sounds of grunting and growling coming from whence they'd left. It looked like they were having an impromptu wrestling match.

Meanwhile, the large female that PB had spotted made distance between itself and the road, when it received the other female's warning. The road was clear, for now, and lay open before them.

The sun was going down, and would be dark soon. Camping near the grendels didn't sound like the best idea, so the companions decided to get a move on. They could smell the scents of civilization on the wind, smoke in the distance, curling up from cookfires and camps. They were definitely near something.

By the time the road narrowed and the woods encroached around them, they nearly stumbled into a large village, surrounded in parts by wooden palisades, and with many wooden lodges and mud huts scattered around. It was a sprawling village, built wide rather than tall. Here or there people gave them odd looks as they moved through, crossing themselves and genuflecting before the strangers, as if to keep the evil spirits at bay.

If Varlum took the moment to look down at his book, and the map thereon, he'd find they'd wandered through a Village called Alivilda.

Before wandering too long through the village, they were approached by a band of what looked like woodsmen and women. They conferred among each other for a moment, in a strange yet familiar dialect, before one of them approached. A woman with brown hair, about 5'4" tall and wearing a ranger's leathers. A long hunting spear stood at her side. "Greetings pilgrims... You're welcome to the hospitality and protection of our walls. Where have you come from, and what have you seen?"

A trade of information was customary to the rangers guarding this place, seemingly.
word count: 571
"In Play by Posting Role Playing, inaccurate and inconsistent lore is considered especially heinous.
On Standing Trials, the dedicated investigators who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Lore Analysis Unit.
These are their stories..."
User avatar
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:14 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +125
Character Sheet
Secrets
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 8

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Re: [Uthaldria] Here we go again

Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:46 pm

Image
The creatures, in the end, didn't seem like they were capable of speech, but it appeared that there was some sort of structure among them as one of the females took control of the situation. "I think we had best be moving on. This is not a good place to camp." she said, her tone firm as the creatures decided to settle whatever was going on among themselves. Fortunately, it didn't take the group long to find their way into one of the local villages. These Melrathians were certainly a paranoid lot, judging by their odd genuflecting and hand motions. However, it seemed that this village had some sort of guard set up, and they were the ones who decided to get introductions going.

When the woodsmen approached, Vivian smiled and stepped forward. Faith was many wonderful things, but she literally couldn't lie, and Vivian did not want to take the risk of their Blessed status causing them problems. "I'll handle this." she thought, Fins sending her message to the other two spirits, who would presumably pass it on to Faith and Varlum. When the apparent leader of the woodsmen spoke up, Vivian was relieved to hear that the level of hospitality was not so dire as she had feared.

"Greetings, and thank you for your welcome. There are some...rather unpleasant creatures not far to the south of your village. We strangers and do not know the names of the local fauna, but they were large, the male especially so, with gaunt faces like skulls, large horns, and very sharp teeth. Fortunately, we got through without a fight, but I would caution anyone heading south to be wary of the creatures." she said, her tone cheerful. "As for we we've come from, we're travellers from Rharne, and though I'll admit we've come through Lotharran lands to the south, we never met with any of them during our journey. I did hear tell of a battle for a fortress held by a necromancer, but we've seen no sign of such fell magic on our journey, so it would seem that any necromancer was either driven out or is content to stay in his lair and not bother the neighbors." she said, before falling silent to see if the guard had any questions.
word count: 398
User avatar
Varlum
Approved Character
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:35 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +82
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 1

Events

Re: [Uthaldria] Here we go again

Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:45 pm

Image
This trial just got better and better.

"Agreed, I'd rather not camp here" he said simply, glancing as the creatures left and did their own thing, keeping himself as close to Faith as he could until they were a safe distance before giving her the space she deserved. While she could handle herself well, Varlum was much more disposable than she was. That was the mentality he had learned to take on, at the very least, as much as Faith would argue against it. It was important that she made it through this war with as little in the way as possible, no injuries could be afforded.

As Vivian moved forward to talk to the villagers, Varlum turned his eyes to Faith. "I never seem to be nominated as the social person. Any idea why?" he asked with a playful smirk, clearly not upset by it as he waited for their conversation to come to an end. Whether Faith moved forward or not, Varlum stood back. As much as he joked, the Ithecal knew that people would likely be afraid of him. It was rare that people took kindly to an Ithecal casually waltzing in, let alone one that seemed much bigger than the others. He envied the smaller Ithecal. While he was sure they got strange looks, there was a vast difference in how people seemed to act around them. Even other Ithecal gave some Thiussum weird looks from time to time, at least when he had been in Ivorian.

Oh, how simpler life had been there.

When Vivian mentioned the oddly specific battle of the necromancers and how none of them were seen, Varlum had to pause for a moment and wonder if the guards would pick up on it. It seemed the guards that had stopped them prior had known about it, but if it had yet to reach this small village it might look somewhat specific. But the Ithecal paid little thought to it. They surely had ways to check if they were necromancers or not. One would think a normal human and a walking corpse would have a difference. Though, were all necromancers dead too? Ellasin seemed to be, but Varlum knew little of them.

Realising the potential dangers of the situation they were in, Varlum put his book away, acting as if he had just been reading on the way. For the time being, he would have to do this on his own, just as Ralaith had said for them to do. If they found out his book was blessed by an Immortal, they may get unfriendly, he had been warned. And while he didn't fear remotely for his own safety, Varlum wasn't eager to fight civilians over their opinions on the Immortals, nor did he expect them to care when he said something along the lines of, 'I only like two Immortals, promise'.

word count: 491
User avatar
Faith Augustin
Approved Character
Posts: 4030
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:12 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: +1000 +
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: [Uthaldria] Here we go again

Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:52 pm

Image

All in all, Faith had to admit that she was pleased that they hadn't needed to fight the large hairy creatures. Frankly, she could have lived without that amount of willy-waving that they did, but obviously it was a feature they were happy with. Vivian put up a shield, and Faith considered she could have done that, had she thought of it, but she hadn't and that was fine. Evidently, said willy-waving impressed his mate and she got all growly and snarly at Faith. If she knew the way to explain that she had less than zero interest in the body-part in question, or the hairy beast it was attached to, she'd communicate it loud and clear. Sadly, she didn't. But the male got dragged back to the cave, so to speak, and Faith looked at her companions as the grunting and groaning started. "I'd say that's an excellent time to leave, wouldn't you?"

And on they went.

The place they came to, just as things were getting dark, had that distinctive smell in the air like there was a brewers or vintners nearby. The strength of the scent made her think there was more than one in the area. They continued onwards and soon, they were greeted by what seemed to be some rangers. Faith watched as Vivian spoke to them, she gave the situation clearly and eloquently - and was prone to giving less information than Faith, it must be said. So, she took Vivian's lead and did not give over any more information than that. Instead, she spoke to the Ranger who had greeted them. The woman in question was the same height as Faith and it was always a pleasure to be able to converse without getting a crick in her neck.

"We're heading north," she said, then realised that she didn't know which way that actually was, so she didn't point or anything like that. It would almost inevitably be the wrong direction if you did. "And we're keen to press on. Is there anything you can tell us which may be relevant, please?" Nothing if not polite, that was Faith. But equally, she kept an eye out, not dropping her guard and making sure that Shule and PB were invisible to the Rangers, but were also just watching the slightly wider terrain, keeping an eye around them.

Sometimes, Faith thought, willy-wavers were just more honestly aggressive than apparently friendly folks and as much as she tried to think the best of everyone, she wasn't prepared to take anything at face value here.
word count: 452
"Every evil has its good, and every ill an antidote."

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
User avatar
Pig Boy
General Staff
Posts: 621
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:54 pm
Race: Prophet
Profession: Storyteller Lead
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 8

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Re: [Uthaldria] Here we go again

Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:18 pm

Image


The rangers listened to Vivian and Faith, while the others kept a wary eye up at Varlum, who was reading his book. When she described the creatures in question, they muttered, ”Grendels. You’re lucky they weren’t hungry, or else were in a mating mood. Chances are the female is eating the male as we speak now… So that’ll be two females on the prowl.” The ranger at the head of their group nodded to a few others, who swiftly departed.

”As for necromancers, I’d suggest you keep such cursed rumors to yourself. There are no necromancers in Melrath, we do not accept them.” The ranger said it with confidence.

”But Wanderer… Didn’t we see a…”

”There are NO necromancers in Melrath.”

And that was that, as far as the captain or Wanderer was concerned.

The trio were guided to sleep in appropriate lodgings, given space in a nearby stable to sleep in the animal of their choosing’s hay. The rangers thought better of recommending an Inn, not wanting to deal with outlander related incidents and violence, especially when one of those outlanders looked like he could snap any one of them in half with his jaws.

Any protests from the trio to their accomodations would fall on deaf ears.

When the sun rose, the three wanderers were expected to leave, directly for the north, wherever it was they were going. Before they went, they were approached by the ranger that had greeted them the night before. ”Listen, you have but to go six days to the north to reach the city of Raelia. Follow the road. Our Ragnari soldiers and Ydalir rangers keep the roads safe. You’ve little to fear so long as you stick to the road. Six days! I don’t recommend staying at the larger settlements, but smallers ones will be more welcoming if you come by them.”

So they were escorted to the edge of the wooden walls outlining the village. ”Good journey…” Said the ranger, and then they’d be allowed to go off.
 ! Message from: Pig Boy
You guys may describe your travel over the next six days, until just before they reach the view of the Blue Marble Does of Raelia. Like the ranger said, it should be uneventful, minus a few encounters with locals on the road who are mostly non hostile. All while travelling Faith will feel more and more distant from her Immortals. Varlum's book will continue to draw its map as he makes his way across the landscape, and as he does he gets a sense of how the road appears from a bird's eye perspective. All the towns and landmarks along the road are labeled in fine print that he can understand. Vivian will notice, midway through their journey, as they walk through the Myrkvior forest, strange sounds and sights, such as children bubbling laughter, and small creatures scurrying just out of sight. These visions and audible stimuli persist throughout the day, until they are within sight of Raelia.
word count: 509
"In Play by Posting Role Playing, inaccurate and inconsistent lore is considered especially heinous.
On Standing Trials, the dedicated investigators who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Lore Analysis Unit.
These are their stories..."
User avatar
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Posts: 372
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:14 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +125
Character Sheet
Secrets
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 8

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Re: [Uthaldria] Here we go again

Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:47 am

Image
Vivian raised an eyebrow at the rangers name for the creatures they encountered and nodded her agreement as to their luck. "Yes, that could have gone rather more unpleasantly, couldn't it." she mused, before noting the odd little exchange regarding necromancers, merely nodding her assent. "Glad to hear you're free of such troubles. That ilk does seem to be an unpleasant lot." she said, giving a wry smile as she spoke. However, she also sent a mental note to her companions through Fins. "Political propaganda. State policy says there's no necromancers in Melrath, so even if there are any of Ellasin's cronies about, official policy will squash any news of it." she thought, a very clear note of absolute disgust in her voice.

When they were shown to their quarters, she raised no complaint and accepted their stay gratefully. So far as Vivian was concerned right now, staying away from the inns was better for all involved. When morning rose, the rangers made it clear that the trio was expected to get underway. Since they hadn't planned on staying around, Vivian was glad to accommodate them. When the lead rangers gave them advice as to the larger settlements, Vivian nodded. "Thank you for the advice and for the hospitality. May your watch be uneventful." she said, using a relatively standard sounding farewell that she had heard from a story once before they set out on the road.

The trip north did prove mostly uneventful. There were some encounters with locals, but Fins spotted them well before anyone else and none of these locals were belligerent. Like the trio, they had a place to be and a desire to be there, so contact was always rather brief. However, part way through their journey, she began to hear strange noises. Small children laughing, small creatures scurrying about in the brush. Occasionally, she would catch shadowy glimpses of them, but never anything concrete. She duly reported these hallucinations to Faith when they started, and if asked, submitted herself to any examinations the Doctor may wish to make.

When they started to near the city that the ranger had mentioned, Vivian was starting to get annoyed by the ongoing hallucinations, then paused and thought for a moment, mulling over an idea that had been in the back of her head since the sounds and visions had first started. After a moment, she looked up at Fins and let out a sigh. "Fins, is there a way if you could tell if there's spirits around us that aren't supposed to be here? If there are, that could account for what I'm seeing and hearing, yeah?" she asked, a note of annoyance in her voice. She didn't like dealing with things of such opaque natures and goals. They made things more complicated than she liked.
word count: 485
User avatar
Varlum
Approved Character
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:35 pm
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: +82
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 1

Events

Re: [Uthaldria] Here we go again

Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:59 pm

Image
Varlum's eyes couldn't help but glance up when the men commented that no necromancers were around, and one had claimed to see them before being interrupted. If they weren't on a mission Varlum would have stepped in, tried to get some words out of them. But it would be counterproductive now. They had a journey to be on, starting a fight with the guards would make the rest of their travels difficult. It wasn't as if they would have much information on said Necromancers. If they did, with such strong propaganda, they would likely do anything in their power to go and eliminate the threat before Varlum could even blink.

Through the night, Varlum slept as best he could. It wasn't something Varlum was unfamiliar with, needing to sleep near the animals. None of the animals seemed so keen on the idea, however. Once Varlum awoke, he left the area so that the animals may also have a good rest knowing there was no Ithecal nearby that looked like he wanted a piece of them. It was definitely a relief for them, Varlum would assume. Once they had all gotten up from their rest they were sent on their way, told to follow the road to a place known as Raelia. Varlum gave a small nod to them, offering his hand out to the ranger that had helped them so far. "Thank you for your help and hospitality."

"Just our luck to end up in a propaganda-filled, anti-immortal shit stain of a city" Varlum said with a low growl once they were finally away from the Melrathi people, continuing on the beginning of their journey. Trials passed and not much happened, though Varlum managed to gain a strong idea of what this place looked like from above. He would never admit it to Vivian, but having this kind of information and looking at things in a tactical way was somewhat enjoyable. Then again, having a magic map do half the work for him definitely helped.

Vivian, it seemed, was having less fun that Varlum however. Seeing and hearing things as they walked. Fuck, Varlum hated it here. The sooner they could make their way out of this place and arrive at their destination, the better. As Vivian and Faith talked about the hallucinations, Varlum noticed how close they were to the huge gates ahead of them. "If we need to stop and resolve the hallucinations, we can. But the gates are close. Might it be worth us getting to civilisation before we try and figure out what it is you're seeing and why?"
word count: 449
User avatar
Faith Augustin
Approved Character
Posts: 4030
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:12 pm
Race: Human
Profession: Fanatical Philanthropist
Renown: +1000 +
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: [Uthaldria] Here we go again

Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:03 pm

Image

If anyone ever said to her again that so-and-so had a soldier's attitude, Faith considered as they made their way, she'd realise that there was very certainly no such thing. Vivian and Varlum were polar opposites in so many ways. Vivian was controlled and calm, cool even. Varlum, meanwhile was bottled fury and fire, ready to explode at a trill's notice. She figured both of them were very much soldiers in this way, both of them showing aspects which were useful. Whereas she, not a soldier at all, was trying to be a general in an army. Faith was very much both fire and ice, her cool and calm exterior held tightly on to the deep fires of determination and passion which were inside her. So, on the one hand, she might well seem to be more like Vivian, but on the other hand, she often felt a lot more like Varlum.

And over the course of the next few days, she grew to realise that they were all three just dealing with this the best way they could.

As they came close to the gates, Faith reflected back on the six days of travel they'd just undertaken. It had been largely uneventful, although she did her best to keep them well fed and to maintain spirits, but there was a growing sense of ... distance .... from the Immortals. Faith ~ who was well-named ~ saw this as an indication that the Immortals knew they were not welcome here, that there was limited devotion to them in this place and so that meant that the fanatical young priestess had to make sure that they heard her. It didn't worry her that she couldn't feel them; this wasn't about her and what she felt. This was about the importance of devotion to the Immortals. So, in response to the feeling of them not being there, Faith prayed harder, dedicated more. It was just her way.

Vivian had been experiencing what she thought were hallucinations, but Faith wasn't so sure. "I can - and will, just to be sure - heal your mind. But the influence of the Immortals is less here. I think, perhaps, that there are more spirits. Shule?" Faith glanced at her diri companion. Either way, however it worked, she used the Moseke-granted ability to make sure that Vivian didn't have any issues in terms of actual hallucinations. She looked at Varlum hen he suggested moving forward and she nodded her head. "Agreed. If we can, we keep going." Vivian was happy to continue, and so onwards they went. Frankly, she was with Varlum.

The sooner they got out of this place, the better. For all of them.

Onwards, it was.
word count: 468
"Every evil has its good, and every ill an antidote."

~ Rharne HQ
Dust Quarter Satellite Clinic ~ Order of the Adunih~Soup Kitchen & Community Center
User avatar
Pig Boy
General Staff
Posts: 621
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:54 pm
Race: Prophet
Profession: Storyteller Lead
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 8

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Re: [Uthaldria] Here we go again

Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:49 pm

Image

The voices and images of children dancing and singing through the forest began to ebb, and fade away as they got farther out of the dark of the Myrkvior forest. After some travel out of those darkened woods, they came to Ashara Citadel. A heavily guarded fortress that stood before the Gates of Raelia. Beyond that stone edifice the walls and blue marble domes of Raelia rose above it all.

The fortress seemed readily and densely guarded, and appeared to know that there were outlanders about. People on the road had been guarded against outlanders, particularly on the last day, when the words on every Melrathi's lips was that there had been another Lothar raid to the south, in Alivilda. People had been hurt, and even a few kidnapped by the Lothar.

As they approached the gates of the citadel, they would be stopped before being allowed further entrance. A large, hulking brute in full plate came forward, decorations and regalia attached to his armor. While a plain broadsword was strapped to his belt. He lifted the visor on his helm, to view the women and the ithecal, and snorted. "We heard word that the town of Alivilda had allowed in a few Immortal Worshippers, and given them comfort." He said, "Did you know there was a Lothar raid there? A few days beyond your wake?"

"Wouldn't know anything about that, would we?" He glowered beneath his visor, obvious disdain on his features. "Poor Alivildans, they ought to have known letting Outlander scum into their midst would lead to more of the same, albeit with greater and increasing savagery. Let the dog have a scrap, and he'll never let you alone, until you fall asleep dead and he's tearing your arm off."

"Now, what do you know about the Lothar?!" There was commotion behind the commander, as if not all were in agreement over his chosen course to challenge the two women and their very large ithecal companion.

Whatever their answer was, the Commander stood at the gates, resting the butt of his spear against the ground. He wasn't going to let them pass. "Best back into the Myrvior with ya then! We don't need anymore outlander scum coming through my citadel!"
word count: 378
"In Play by Posting Role Playing, inaccurate and inconsistent lore is considered especially heinous.
On Standing Trials, the dedicated investigators who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Lore Analysis Unit.
These are their stories..."
Post Reply

Return to “Western Heights”