Graded To Shame

A memory between Azrael (NPC) and Yeva.

Seated on the shores of Lake Lovalus, Rharne serves as the home of the Lighting Knights, the Thunder Priestesses, and the Merchant's guild. This beautiful trade city is filled with a happy and contented people who rarely need an excuse to party.

Moderator: Basilisk

Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Cryptographer
Renown: +50
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Player Review
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 1

Contribution

To Shame

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:04 pm

12 Ymiden 715

“Pretentious fucks.”

“I think they’re admirable.”

“You would.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“It means,” he said sneering, “You fall head over heels for a good story,” Azrael pushed up the sleeves of his tunic, the green fabric bunching at his elbows, “You see him and think, ‘Oh, a noble knight chosen by destiny! Woo woo,’” A terrible imitation, made worse by the sloshing of ale against his tongue, “I’d wager you’ve fancied a date with one of them.”

“I- That’s just rude!” Yeva lowered her embroidery hoop, a look of horror flashing in her dark eyes. Her cheeks were dusting with pink and she swatted at the Avriel, “I don’t love a good story,” she grumbled unconvincingly, “And they’re not even knights, you’re just drunk.”

“You don’t like any of them?”

“I don’t know any of them,” she glanced up from where they sat on the stoop and began to admire the boy - no, man - speaking to a stall owner selling fresh jars of honey. He was in his early twenties, hair as black raven wings, and eyes like smokey rain. Dressed in the tell-tale armor of the Warden’s of Lake Lovalus, his plate reflected polished light, ethereal and accented in blue cloth. A protection rune was carved into the breastplate and he laughed at something his conversation partner said, “I’m sure some of them are nice…” she sighed and pushed her needle into the back of her fabric, “They have to be.”

“No one has to be nice.”

“Well,” Yeva pulled the thread through, smirking as the red string ceased, “That sure explains why you’re being such an ass.”

Azreal snorted and then choked, coughing in the mix of his mirth. By the time he caught his breath, the handsome warden was saying his goodbye and heading down the street. He had a jar of honey and was tapping a tune on its lid. Yeva watched him disappear around the corner and looked over to see Azreal watching her.

“What?”

“You’re clever,” he reached out, stroking the curls of her hair. So close, she could smell the sage on his skin. The affection felt intimate - almost too intimate for just the two of them- and the redhead tried to think of a joke, a jest. He spoke first with a sudden grin, “Clever, but insufferable.”

She rolled her eyes and knocked her leg against his. His attention faded when he took another drink and he sat silently, judging the citizens of Rharne until he felt the need to voice these opinions. Yeva defended the blatantly harsh observations, half her attention on her friend, the other half on the the poppy flower she was trying to stitch. After awhile, Azreal became bored and his groans increased in audibility.

Eventually he leaned his shoulder against hers and lamented his daily struggle, but this too, he grew tired of. His eyes dropped to her handiwork, “What’s that supposed to be?”

“A flower, see?” she tilted the wooden hoop and ran her fingers across the black outline. It had been done with a back stitch, and now she began filling in the petals with imperial red, although she was beginning to have her doubts. Compared to her mother’s handiwork, her own lines felt jagged and lackluster. Hovering over the craft, she chewed on her bottom lip until the skin was raw.

“Looks good.”

“Really?” Yeva searched his face for a sign of a smile; was he lying? “I know it’s not the best, but-”

“You don’t have to explain yourself.”

Azrael took a drink, watching her.

“I-” she was surprised by how much she wanted to do so, the need to defend her incompetence a bird with beating wings, struggling to fly from her throat. Yeva pinched her lips closed, conflict tightening her face while fingers traced the edges of the thread, twisting the embroidery hoop, “I know, but, I-”

Azreal was smiling, and licked a bit of mead from the corner of his mouth, “Can’t take a compliment?”

“That’s… not true.”

“Isn’t it?”

She frowned and he set the bottle down beside him, the glass wobbling on the cobblestone. Turning to face her more fully, the Avriel slipped his hand beneath a waterfall of hair to cup her face, “I think you’re an intelligent woman worthy of my company,” His talons were pinpricks against her skin, gentle but devastating sharp; a silent threat in the possession of another. But not Azrael, Yeva trusted him. She froze in her vulnerability, but not for the physical differences, "You're loyal, and generous, and infuriatingly naive," She wanted to speak, to say anything, and was beginning to realize that maybe the Avriel was right. He spoke again, soft and sharp syllables forming a foreign dance she didn’t know the steps to, “You put them all to shame.”

At once, Yeva opened her mouth and Azrael smirked.
Last edited by Yeva on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 855
Yeva
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Medic | Cryptographer
Renown: +50
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Player Review
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 1

Contribution

Re: To Shame

Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:56 pm

12 Ymiden 715

"What did you say?"

Azrael flashed a wolf's grin, "Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Az!"

"You just can't stand not knowing something, can you?"

"Fine. I don't care," she scooted on the stoop, turning so that her he faced the back of her shoulder. The Avriel snorted and Yeva ignored him, trying very hard to focus on pushing her needle through the fabric and keep the colored floss from twisting into a knot. The fabric felt a bit loose around the edges so she pulled it taunt and fiddled with the tightening mechanism. In the back of her mind, she could still hear her his foreign words. But it was fine, she didn't care. She was busy.

"Mhm."

From how he sneered at her and sloshed his liquor in his mouth with smug eyes - 'Only an Avriel could achieve smug eyes', she thought - Yeva knew it would be important to distract herself least he be proven right. She huffed and reassessed her handiwork, pulling out her last stitch and resizing it to see how the effect was altered. Her obsession with creating uniformity actually succeeded in pulling her mind away from what was said, and noticing this change of interest, Azrael frowned. "Yeeva," he teased, her name rolling from his mouth. He leaned over her shoulder, more interested in watching her reaction than her hands, "What are you doing now?"

She mostly ignored him, save for the quick glance from the corner of her eye, "I can't get this right," her head tilted and she bit the needle between her teeth, "And you're not helping."

"Am I supposed to be?"

The bottle of liquor in Azrael's hands was nearing its end, a third of it left. With his light frame and the potency of Rharnian drink, the Avriel's eyes fluttered. He sighed and leaned forward, putting much of his upper body weight against her, "I'm not drunk," he defended, already predicting her next words while setting the bottle to the side, "But you could give me a little medical attention."

Azrael grabbed the embroidery hoop and pouted, lifting it out of reach and above their heads so that she had to stretch upwards. He was grinning again, wings stretching out as one hand swatted hers away in a game that made her start to laugh, "C'mon, Az. Give it back."

"Hm, no." Every time she came closer to touching the craft, his fingers would push against her ribs and she would erupt in laughter, "You have to make me, Little Red."

He tickled her again and she twisted, grabbing wildly for her stitching all tears and giggles.
word count: 467
Pig Boy
General Staff
Race: Prophet
Profession: Apprentice Staff
Renown: 0
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 8

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Re: To Shame

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:42 am

Comments

These two kids are so adorable together. Your dialogue between them really helps push and shape the narrative, making a otherwise ordinary crafting thread that much more enjoyable.

A great scene overall.

10/10 points, you may not use this points for domain magic.

Knowledge

Needlecraft: Tightening an Embroidery Hoop
Needlecraft: Choosing Floss Colors
Needlecraft: Backstitch
Needlecraft: When to Modify Stitch Length
Needlecraft: Pulling out a Stitch
Deception: Concealing a Crush
Non-Skill Knowledge:
Rharne: Wardens of the Lake

Loot

N/A

Wealth

N/A

Renown

N/A
word count: 84
"In Play by Posting Role Playing, inaccurate and inconsistent lore is considered especially heinous.
On Standing Trials, the dedicated investigators who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Lore Analysis Unit.
These are their stories..."

Return to “Rharne”