• Closed • A second home.

[malcolm]

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Tlarekih
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Profession: Doctor
Renown: -10
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

A second home.

111th A S H A N, 716th A R C
. Imogen held close a crumpled note as she wandered the streets of midtown, unfamiliar with the neighbourhood and the people who lived in it, and therefore appropriately wary, treating with them as if it were lowtown and she were about to be robbed. She wore her cleanest clothing for them, the potential thieves, but it was not nearly as lovely as they might have an eye for, because she wore leggings and a long shirt and not a pretty dress. Her clothing wasn't important to her.

. The paper was important to her, though. It was an old, somewhat travel-stained, copy of the Rynmere Gazette that Ateka had brought to her one evening with the intention of getting her mother to read it to her. Imogen hadn't done so; she was tired, and the paper was more interesting to read once Ateka had been sent off to sleep. There was gossip in there that Imogen found particularly juicy, being the deprived-of-gossip woman that she was.

. Imogen lived in the woods, on the road that lead northward out of Andaris City. She didn't often have business in the city, aside from work, and that was only an arrangement out of necessity and curiosity, not out of love. She found, then, that the recent happenings in the city were much more interesting than she'd have initially believed. Peake Andaris was to wed was the highlight, and there was an additional column about magic users in the city, but never had Imogen wanted anything to do with magic, so she read only the first two paragraphs before deciding that she just didn't care.

. She cared just enough about the engagement of Peake Andaris to want to get a little closer to the city, though, and that brought her to midtown, with the gazette crumpled in her tight fist, looking for a Malcolm Krom. She didn't know the man, and hadn't even the thought to send a letter to him to request viewing the house, and that ended with her wondering who, among all these men, would have to be the Moseke Knight she sought out.
word count: 378
Malcolm
Race: Naerikk
Renown: 179
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

A second home.

The house had been purchased only three arcs ago from new, one in a line of flats that followed the street around the cobblestone road, set away from the busy business district and well above low-town. Here the neighbourhood was quiet, some might even describe it as peaceful, but for the Mortalborn it only made him feel estranged. Having purchased the house for his elderly wife who had decided to pack up and leave him while he was on patrol along the northern roads to Krom, Malcolm had little attachment to the building, street, or city, and felt it was time to move on and start again as he had many times before in the last four hundred arcs. Working for the Moseke Knights and as a historian for the Local university kept him busy, but they were only jobs, it was people who made places meaningful, not things or tasks.
Outside he stood in the small front garden in a pair of simple trousers and boots, shirt abandoned to make the most of the fine weather while he spent his morning weeding the flower boxes set below the windows, and tidying up the cobwebs along the guttering with a broom the old man next door had let him borrow. Malcolm wasn't much to look at, though tall and somewhat handsome in the right light, his skin was pasty and his body, though muscular, was rather lean, and like his face, showed signs of age.
"Malcolm!" The paperboy called from the end of the small path that led to his front door from the gate, "Ser?"
"David," the knight smiled and swept a few dried leaves away from the path, "how can I help you, young man?"
"I've got a paper for you," the boy beamed, holding up a rolled copy of the latest gazette.
Malcolm dug around in his pocket for a piece of copper and gave this to the boy in exchange for the paper. "Thank you," he smiled.
"Moving?" David inquired.
"Hopefully," the man nodded, "not far though, you will still see me around the city," he promised.
David grinned. "See you then!"
Malcolm waved and tucked the gazette under his right arm. As he moved to turn back towards the house he caught a glimpse of the stranger across the road he could have sworn had looked his way. "Morning," he offered before getting back to the task at hand.
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 414
Tlarekih
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

A second home.

. She had just rounded the bend in the street, almost ready to call it a day and find some other property (or a room in an inn) that she could rent out at her leisure. Luckily she wouldn't have to, because Imogen was within range to catch what the man and boy had said to one another; the cobbled street was quiet enough that conversation would likely not go unheard. She had caught the name Malcolm, and while it wasn't entirely an uncommon name, Imogen had to assume this was the Malcolm she had come all this way in search of, and she actually had the gall to hesitate before coming over and introducing herself. At least he greeted her, and she was quick to offer a smile and dart her way across the street towards him.

. From afar, he was just another man, but as she neared, she found him striking simply by how dark his features were, because she had become accustom to pale people... including herself. If she could judge a person's character by the set of their faces, she would have to say that his wasn't too unpleasant and stern. There was age there, though, but it was not much and he could not have been much older than her.

. "Hallo!" She said, all smiles and genuinely glad it was him, now that her moment of hesitation had passed. "Malcolm Krom, are you?" She wanted to unroll her dirty copy of the Gazette, just to double check his name, but it was pretty hard to forget a name like Krom when there was a nice duchy named for them. "My name is Imogen, and I'm here about the house." She didn't look at it, because it seemed rude to do so, and would have to let him show her it.

. Suddenly serious, Imogen regarded him with a great deal of concern. "It's still available, though?" She tacked on the question very slowly. She hoped it was, but the ad had mentioned the quality of the neighbourhood, and there were people in lowtown who would fight for the opportunity at a nice house in a nice place instead of those slums. She wouldn't have been surprised if someone else would have taken it.
word count: 391
Malcolm
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

A second home.

Not for much longer, he had almost said. Malcolm would soon be bound for Krom to sign away his title as Baron to his sons Marcus and Vaughn. Annulments weren’t exactly common in Rynmere, but with his wife on her deathbed and him being so foreign to the family, those higher up wanted to secure a place for Krom blood over the possibility of Malcolm remarrying and threatening the position of those first in line. “I am,” he instead settled for, and studied the woman at the front gate with more care.

Malcolm set the broom aside and lifted his shirt from the welcome mat, slipping into it quickly; he had company now after all. “I’ve had quite a bit of interest,” the captain admitted, “but I think the price is putting people off.” A lot of interest had come from families in low-town who wanted to upgrade their living circumstances but not take on the costs that came with it, something Malcolm believed to be rather fair, equal to that of the local inns, but far more for their coin. “Would you like a tour?” Even before the stranger was able to answer he had opened the front door. “I can show you around or you can take a look for yourself if you prefer?”
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 226
Tlarekih
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

A second home.

. Imogen smiled again, but this time for the knowledge that the house was still available, despite the interest of other tenants. She thought she could play around that, perhaps use a bit of her own personal life to buy him into letting her have it.

. "It's unfortunate, about the price," she admitted slowly, taking a half-step forward into the lot. Imogen made no remark about him pulling on his shirt. Imogen didn't want to encroach upon his space, so she came no further until offered the opportunity at his discretion. Imogen might dislike him on principle, but she considered herself neighbourly. "However, you will find that I am willing to pay."

. When offered a show of the house, Imogen started forward. She would take a tour over examining it herself at any point. Imogen knew little about what to look for in a new home, or even in a good home. Her current one was worthy of a lowtown inhabitant but for the smells of earthly comfort. "I would be happy if you'd show me around," she said. "That is, if you're free. I don't want to keep you from your work, ser."
word count: 206
Malcolm
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

A second home.

"I can't budge on the price I'm afraid, I need the extra coin to put some windows in on my new place," he smiled apologetically, "believe it or not it's a downgrade, going from this warm stone to wood. Still, a couple of seasons of fine weather before the cold cycle hits, should be plenty of time to save up." Malcolm wasn't generally much of a talker, but he had a tendency to ramble sometimes, possibly due to nerves.

Inside the house the fireplace was burning away in the living room, decorated only with a simple wooden table and two chairs. Dried flowers hung above the doorway, and to the left, the kitchen looked just as bare, but the window let in plenty of light making the house appear warm and inviting.
"As you can see it's not a massive house, but it has kept my wife and I cosy for the last few arcs. The stairs led up to a large bedroom with great views beyond the wall, and tucked away to the left there just beyond the stairs you will find the bathroom. I put in a small window a few seasons ago, a nice new bath too and some hooks on the back of the door to hang your towels."

He walked across the living room to turn the handle on the door leading to the bathroom and pointed out the locking mechanism that worked only form the inside.
"You can cook all of your meals in a pot on the hot plate on top of the fireplace there, and I find it dries clothes very quickly too as long as you don't hang them too close." Malcolm offered the woman some tea and pulled out a chair. "Do you have any children or will it just be you and your partner?" Perhaps it was wrong of him to assume, but the young woman looked fetching enough and he would be surprised to hear if she were unattached. "I'm so sorry I've completely forgotten you name?"
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 354
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

A second home.

Tlarekih

Points!:

Story: 2/5
Collaboration: 5/ 5
Structure: 5/ 5
Knowledge:

Malcolm: A striking man
Malcolm: Married
Malcolm: Needs to repair his other house
Malcolm: Forgot your name.

Loot:
None
Fame:
None
Malcolm

Points!:

Story: 2/5
Collaboration: 5/ 5
Structure: 5/ 5
Knowledge:

David: The Paperboy
Imogen: Here about the house
Imogen: Polite
Imogen: Willing to pay
Annulments: Rare in Rynmere
Persuasion: When selling something, point out the good bits.
Persuasion: Bring in the personal example if possible.

Loot:
NA
Fame:
NA

Overview:

General comments. Such a shame the thread wasn't finished. Unfortunately, because of where it was left there wasn't really an option for it to be finished as far as I can see. I liked the interaction between the two of you and would have liked to see more of it!
Story I have awarded 2/5 for story as per the peer review guide, where the story is unfinished.
Structure No problems, all good!

Please do PM me if you think I've missed anything or you have any questions!
word count: 190
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~
Working on a New User Guide - feel free to feed back in the thread!
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”