Embraced By Claws

Once the epitome of advancement and wonderment, this ancient city has suffered an apocalyptic catastrophe and now drowns deeper into destruction as schemes and further disasters threaten to tear it asunder. Hope has long since left the land... but some have refused to surrender their place in the sun
Alistair
Race: Human
Profession: Wanderer
Renown: +1000 +
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Embraced By Claws

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:56 pm

Ashan 41, Arc 719
The previous trial - after acquiring the fealty of all four of the Kokkinos - had been spent learning of them, as individuals, and then Miletos; and Tyros as a whole. Alistair had made clear almost immediately that his ambitions stretched further out than just the island's eastern region, as beautiful as it was. As such, much of their deliberations and teachings informed him of Tyros and its greater history, and involving more than just recent tragedies or the plethora of things the people might have been wary of. Alistair learned of their theaters and performances, the stories they told just for recreation and the stories they truly believed; of demi-gods, of heroes and hell, of an underdark to reality that had begun to brew where all Gods were darkly mirrored. There were so many stories they told, and some would catch fire and spread through the region and embed into their heroic Pantheon. Some would even become scripture.

He also learned - most intimately - of Demetrion and Tylema. But that was a story for another trial.

The men had made a decision to present their fealty at the dawn of the following trial. They often spoke of important things on the first day of every deca-trial, or so they called it, such as the first, eleventh, twenty-first, and et cetera. These 'important things' might oft be theatrical performances by locals seeking to acquire fame, or they might be stories of dark tidings from Tyros' outlying lands, or even other Helian islands. Regardless, all topics needed to be approved by the Argonis beforehand, as the team technically owned the square for criers to ventilate their truths and for stories to be shared and announced.

In this case - though somewhat common - the topic was raised by the Argonis themselves. And because of that, they knew that everyone would attend. Particularly considering the mage's rather controversial intrusion into their lands, and the series of meetings and gatherings that followed. Though much of the controversy had calmed and many saw the merit of Alistair's presence, many others feared what change he might bring.

Regardless, they stood in the town square. Tylema, Kyriakos, Arios, Demetrion and Alistair. They had multiple things to announce -- it was more than just the one. Arios, their Delta and the most revered among them, had been elected to speak upon these matters. They were, to him, of significant weight even moreso than with the rest of them.

The five men all wore identical attire, of matching colors. A tunic, cut before the knees, of short sleeves and an open, circular collar that revealed the men's collars and the uppermost corners of their pectorals. It was a common outfit for Argonis to wear on public occasions, and they all wore it well, even Tylema. The colors were an imperial purple-magenta with golden-bronze embroidery, the same royal colors as the team they represented. Miletos was a rich region and the Kokkinos, as a result, wore the colors of wealth. Shades of purple were, after all, exceedingly rare upon fabrics and even dyes.

What was interesting was Alistair's inclusion into these colors. Many looked upon him... the tall, stalwart man with a seemingly transparent golden glow all around him. And he wore their shades, and fit them well, and stood proud among the Argonis as if he were among their rank.

Or perhaps higher.
word count: 581
Alistair
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Re: Embraced By Claws

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:05 pm

"People of Miletos, and the surrounding region of Tylea," Arios began. They stood upon a platform before them all, and the corridors of Miletos were flocked with people, many of whom did not even live in the direct bounds of the city-state. Alistair had not seen so many people concentrated in one place since coming to Helice -- there were likely over a thousand, and the number did not represent the entire region. It was evident that Tyros was far more populous than Koros.

Due to Miletos' terrace-like tiers, however, they managed to address them all regardless and most of the individuals before them were in view.

"I have come to inform you of several things. Firstly, I make this announcement; I have decided to step down from my position as Delta of the Kókkinos. I have enjoyed my sixteen arc tenure with the team, but as all of you know I placed my bid to retire last arc, and on this trial I see this desire come to fruition, as we have found a replacement who will fulfill my role far greater than I ever could. In place of me, Lord Alistair of Koros shall represent me as Kókkinos' Delta."

With the announcement came... confusion. Arios was stepping down - for Alistair? He was not Miletian. Many of the people simply... stared, displaying no negative or positive or even mixed emotions, but rather a pure blank uncertainty. It was not against the rules of the Argonis, and it had been done before, but--

Chatter broke out within the crowd. Some seemed elated that such a clearly physically powerful warrior and individual would join the team, as it meant - to many - certain victory in every Arsinaeus Medea, the physical feats of their competitor's Palamondrea, and perhaps even the racing games of Agaperos' hippodrome. It was the addition of a Kókkinos unlike any ever seen, and the almost nationalistic members of the crowd appeared to rise in enthusiasm.

Either way, the announcement did not have a truly divisive effect. As the chattering continued, many seemed to agree that it was a reasonable decision by the Kókkinos and was generally in line with the history of their team. They always sought the best, regardless of their place of origin. Those in the crowd who genuinely believed Alistair was some sort of avatar of Arsinos, however, struggled to imagine the concept of a God competing in the games.

"In light of my announcement, I will be joining Alistair's court as the head of his council. I will be involved in Koroskai affairs and will manage the island while Alistair focuses on the games in Tyros, and other affairs regarding our island." He paused for a trill, gauging the reaction of the crowd. Altogether, the people appeared favorable, glad to see one of their own become prominent in the leadership of another island and to see what appeared to be a blossoming alliance between their region and the Koroskai come to fruition.

But it was not the end. There was one more thing that needed to be put forward, and everyone knew.

"To this end, it is now that I make our most important announcement, and open the temple floor to a vote. We will now decide whether or not - given all that is soon to be said - we will accept Alistair as our Lord, the Lord of both Tyros and Koros. But first, we will put forward our reasoning; why we have all come to swear fealty to him, why we have determined that we must aide in his efforts to unite us all. With Demetrion, I shall allow the proclamation to begin."
word count: 624
Alistair
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Player Review
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:29 pm

And the story, did, begin. And it went on for some time -- a tale of the Broken Land, of their people, of the Guilds that came and the Nobility that would come. Of the Saltfetchers, of the Blight that they now referred to as the Corruption. The Creep, as it was. Of its flight and ability to spread through all things and defile all lands; to push men to the fringes and take their world from them. To corrupt all things.

They spoke of the images that Alistair showed to them, and there had been more than just the one Ferahorn. Corpses, transformation into a member of the hive, the vile Creepheart and the walking of trees whose branches acted as a thousand blades. Ruins of whole cities once a part of the Kingdom of Quacia, larger than Delias was and perhaps would ever be. Of carnage un-ending, and the desperation that had led the Brokenlanders to become as they were now; the miserable, starving, rat-eating, bile-shitting Heaps that they were.

And through this story, they spoke of the man who sought to free them from this future. To unite them as one and rule a united realm that would only prosper and grow. Lord Alistair of Koros, who carries the essence of Arsinos, or so they vaguely proclaimed, who might be destined to save them from destruction. Who prevented the enslavement and eradication of Koros and their identity, who vowed to liberate Morovas from annihilation.

That man. The only one of such stature among them and the power to match it.

And immediately, many consented. They would accept him as their Lord. They would help him in his aims to conquer or 'liberate' all realms of Helice. Though through the story the crowd appeared divided, anxious with knots tying in their chests, it appeared things had swung towards his favor.

The temple proper opened, and votes were cast. It was, to him, an archaic system that was easy to manipulate and corrupt. But it was their system of yore, and he acknowledged that many of them knew that it would be their last time ever voting, and that the ones who voted for him willingly voted away their rights to ever engage in such democracy again.

The Argonis, after a time, joined them. Alistair was not a Miletian - yet - and so he did not. Instead, he waited, with his eyes aimlessly focusing upon the horizon. He stood like a statue upon the platform in observance of what was to come.

And then it came - and there it was.

He did not know how many people were present, and how many of those were of voting age or even sought to vote at all, but in total eight hundred and forty six Tiranos were tallied. Among those votes, as spoken to him enthusiastically through Tylema's lips, five hundred and eighty seven voted in favor of a feudal aristocracy and the remainder voted against. Alistair had secured more than two thirds of the population - though barely - and would be accepted not only by the Miletians, but the people of Tylea as well.

If only the Agaperians and Pyrgonii would follow, he would be the Lord of Tyros after all. And so the night was one of celebration.

Perhaps not for everyone - but for him, for the Kókkinos, for the people who believed in him and had sworn vows to serve at his side. To aide him in the task of bringing together a land divided.

Alistair delegated roles, that night, to the remaining three. All of them would rule Miletos and the surrounding region, as they once did, with Demetrion as the official chancellor and diplomatic adviser to the throne. Tylema would serve as martial and general in the war effort against Quacia and the Guilds, not only for the Isle but for all of Tyros. And Kyriakos would act as the administrator to the people he sought to represent so dearly, taking direct office with the position of Mayor of Miletos. With the change to a feudal system, all of them - including Arios - were sworn into the Nobility. Their families became Houses, and all were offered the option of various landed positions within his current realm.

It was the creation of a new strata, and through it the laws of Koros would be instituted into his Tirano realm as well.

And perhaps through it all he hoped - within complicated depths - that the people would come to favor him for more than just his ability to stave off their enemies in the tides of war. Even if only through time.
word count: 782
Strange
General Staff
Race: Undead (Ghost)
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 2

Contribution

Staff

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:51 am

Thread Review

Alistair

Alistair Venora
Skill Points: +10 (cannot be used for magic)
Magic XP: None

Renown: +15 (for becoming the ruler of a somewhat major Helian settlement/region, and for becoming a member of team Kókkinos (famous hippodrome-racing team))

Injuries/Overstepping: None.
Wealth Points: None.
Loot: None.

Skill Knowledges:
  • Politics: Democracy
  • Rhetoric: Rhetoric's place within democracy
  • Storytelling: Sometimes, your own story is told more powerfully by others
Non-Skill Knowledges:
  • Personal: I am a Kókkinos
  • Tyros: The Miletians accepted me as their Lord
Notes: You can request up to 3 more Skill Knowledges for this thread. PM me if you'd wish to.

A wonderful conclusion Solo to the previous GST. It summed everything up nicely and in a way that makes sense for both Alistair and the Miletos region of Tyros. It's nice to read of Alistair's development in furthering his appreciation for the role of narrative among the populace to help sway acceptance of a lord's rule and the use of their current system to do so. Also, clever of Alistair to delegate the task of delivering the news to a recognized and trusted local.

The appointments he gave to the council are very suitable to those NPCs as well. How will he deal with the 259 townies who voted against him? Perhaps Kyriakos will manage to convince the remaining dissenters of their new way of life under Alistair's leadership... or perhaps not.

Now to wait and see how Alistair does in the hippodrome games! Don't forget he'll need to utilize his acting and singing skills as well for the Tirano events. Will he take over Tylema's role as Arsinos?

Great job and enjoy your rewards!

PM me if you have any questions, issues or concerns.

Total Word Count: 1,987 words.
Review Request Link: viewtopic.php?p=116208#p116208
stampcodehere

word count: 338

Return to “Quacia”