Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

The Door of Death

Ashan 30, 719, Maybe

For those without Sparks, the Call had been a most agonizing experience. And for three of them, they'd find themselves waking up in what could only be described as a dusty closet, albeit one large enough to fit the three in a small heap of overlapping limbs and body parts. Vega, Hart, and Luther would all find themselves coming to, together. Which would likely be a very strange experience for Luther, since prior to the Call, he'd been dead, as ghosts tend to be. Though now, he'd find himself very much alive, just as he'd been in the final trials of his life, adorned in his Anchored jacket and matching clothes. Vega and Hart were still wearing the same garb they'd passed out in.

Around them, the closet was one for dresses and suits, all of which were ornate and beautiful. Or rather, had been. Now they were covered in dust and spider webs, eaten up by moths, weevils, mold and rot, illuminated by a candle that was near the end of its wick. It was a room of decay. Though, being a standard closet, the door was quite unlocked, and appeared to be the only door within the not so large closet.

The flame of the candle flickered, danced, and grew. Vega would feel his arrival before she, or the others saw it. But Chuckles flared into existence, hovering up above. "I have been called to assist you, Fire-Forged." Then there was a knock upon the door, from the outside. The door was then opened, and a woman in a pure white dress stood there. She appeared to be a woman, dark of hair and eyes, skin soft and pale, yet her presence didn't feel like that of someone who was simply a woman, simply a mortal.

She looked at Hart, "I have been called to assist you, Hart Son of Blush." The woman had a heavenly scent to her, one that would be different to each of the individuals. She smelled of pure, carnal lust and her presence seemed to be an attempt to lure such things out of the three in the closet. She stepped back, gesturing the way out of the door, showing the party where they were.

It was the same ballroom Jesine had once shown to Arlo, but quite different. For Jesine had shown him what Daia's domain had looked like while the Immortal lived. But now that she was dead, it was so very different.

People still danced there, all of whom had been some of Daia's most favorite followers. They still wore the masks without eyeholes, but the masks were cracked, chipped, faded. Their ornate garb was wilted, frayed, dusty, full of holes from moths. And there was no nice bright lighting here, no coziness one might expect in a ballroom. It was a world of black, white, and so many greys.

The dancing was not smooth, elegant, nor even fun. The ghosts of Daia's followers moved like rickety, wooden puppets, staggered staccato movements. And though the movements unnatural, they still managed to move in sync, with the rhythm of an unseen band playing a slow, sad song. If they paid attention, Vega, Hart, and Luther would notice that they, and the two spirits, were the only splashes of color.

There were various doors and archways and a couple of stairwells that led to other unknown areas. A man broke away from the dancing and approached the Spirit of Lust, and the closeted companions. "Have you come to join us? We're about to start the Athartian Flapperjab." The man gestured behind him. There were three doors on the far wall, across the dance floor, one on the far left, one in the center, and one on the far right. "The buffet is back that way if you're hungry."
 ! Message from: Aegis
Vega, Hart, and Luther

Each of you has the same clothings and belongings upon your person as when you answered the Call. Luther, you have a bit more as detailed above.

If you wish to know if something will work, do it up as an attempt. If you ask me "Will X work?" or "What will happen if I do Y?" I will tell you to make the attempt. Any other questions I will do my best to answer.

There is no posting order, and everyone gets 1 post. This posting round closes on the night of April 1st.

word count: 754
Hart
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Renown: 527
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 2

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: The Door of Death

"Speaking in Rakahi"
"Speaking in Common"
"Speaking in Common sign"
extra line here
The pain faded, and as Hart became coherent again, he let out a groan. His arms and legs felt all clumsy as if he had been hit in the head, but he managed to sit up. There were others with him, wherever they all were, and that confused him because he couldn't remember anyone else but Ru at Kirei's.

Ru. She was nowhere to be seen and Hart was no longer in the same room. He didn't know where he was or how he had gotten there. It was dark except for a single candle, and it took him a moment to realize--

--where, exactly, they were.

No.

Hart scrambled to his feet, accidentally tearing a few dresses and suits free of their hangers in his rush. At the moment he was unable to care. His heart was pounding, pounding and he thought he might be sick. There were two others in the closet and he couldn't tell who they were. He got away from the both of them and pressed his back to the nearest wall with a thud. Be calm, he thought, be calm, but he couldn't be calm and he was afraid. He was so afraid he felt out of control of himself.

He had to get out.

The candle flickered and came to life and spoke to a young woman with red hair. Fire-forged, it called her, and Hart knew at once she was a mortalborn. He didn't know how he knew in his panic, but he knew. He stood with his back to the wall, his heart going so fast he thought it might fly from his chest, and that was when someone knocked and the closet door opened.

As soon as it did Hart made a dash for it. Only to be brought up short.

A woman stood in the doorway. She was very pretty and not at all mortal, Hart thought. Neither was she mortalborn or immortal; like with the red-haired woman, he could just tell. She was something else, something like the candle's fire. She smelled like-- something he couldn't describe, there was too much there, but it was something that he physically wanted.

That was not at all welcome.

The woman in the doorway spoke to him, Hart Son of Blush, and Hart shuddered between the need to get out and the need to get away from her. He did not like her, despite --or perhaps because of-- her charms. "Excuse me," he muttered, hardly able to get the breath to speak, and tried to step past her. She stepped out of the way and he slid past without brushing against her.

Hart stumbled into the ballroom.

Everything was grey and Hart panted, sweating, and tried to get a good breath. He wasn't grey, he noticed, nor was the woman of lust or the others, the red-haired woman and her fire familiar and the man with the fancy coat, but that was secondary to quelling the panic he felt.

The fear passed as he managed to get a breath in, and then another, and he felt as if he had just run a thousand miles for nothing. That, on top of the extraordinary pain he'd experienced not long before, had him jittery and he had to take more breaths to calm his nerves and his stomach, which wanted to spill itself onto the floor.

"I don't-- like small spaces," he gasped to the others, when he could.

The people dancing in the room looked about as well off as Hart felt at the moment. When one of them approached, a man, to speak to them, Hart answered, still without most of his breath, "I'm sorry, I'm afraid I'm a poor dancer."

He looked between the man and the lust familiar and said to the both of them, "Is there something to call you? Do you have a name?" He looked to the red-haired woman and her familiar and the man with the coat. "I'm Hart."

To the grey man who had spoken to them he asked, "Where are we and is there a way out? I need--" He still felt as if he couldn't quite catch his breath. "I need some fresh air. Please."

He would beg if he must.
word count: 742
Luther
Approved Character
Race: Undead (Ghost)
Profession: Daia Devotee
Renown: 15
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Groggy and bleary-eyed, Luther was rudely awoken by the panicked scrambling of someone next to him. Clothes crashed to the floor with a clatter, the sound of breath, sharp and fast, filled the cramped space, and the only thing he could manage to do in response was shut his eyes tighter. His head was already pounding, and whatever this stranger was going through wasn't helping the matter. By the immortals, he swore he had never felt so tired before. His entire body ached down to the bone, and he felt as if he needed to catch up on arcs of sleep just to-

His eyes shot open.

He felt. He felt. He felt. An unbelieving, near giddy laugh tumbled out of him uncontrollably. Luther stumbled to his feet clumsily, looking like a drunk as he tried to find his legs after arcs without their weight. With hurried and desperate touches he ran his fingers along the shape of his face. He inspected every aspect, every corner and curve of the warm skin that wrapped around his body. Tugging at his hair, Luther delighted in the sharp spike of pain that shot through his scalp. He savored every sensation he came across, fleeting feelings that were of his own making rather than borrowed or stolen from the bodies of others. Near manic, Luther let sweet tears slip down his cheeks as he continued to laugh in disbelief.

He was alive, in mind and in body. For the first time in he didn't know how long, Luther's thoughts were under his own control. Despite his outward appearance, he was coherent. No longer beholden to the hunger which clawed at his mind in death or the anger which clouded his judgement, Luther could claim autonomy for his actions. More than that, he was human again. Flawed, fallible, breakable, weak, inspirational, unconquerable, truly and beautifully, human.

Which brought up a question: how? How did he become alive again? Was it through some Immortal's machinations, through his own strength of spirit, or perhaps he had dreamed up his death this whole time?

As his mind swam with questions, Luther became cutely aware that he was not alone. He also realized that, in his understandable excitement, he had failed to account for where he was. The circumstances of his resurrection could wait, what mattered now was getting out of wherever he was alive.

Flame flickered into being, and as the spirit spoke Luther took his first long look at his companions. A young woman with bright red hair, whom the flame called Fire-Forged. A young man who, even in his panicked state, was by and far the most beautiful creature Luther had ever laid eyes on. Two spirits, one that smelled of the smoke and flame that clung to his former death and one that beckoned forth feelings of passion that he had forgotten existed. All of them clumped together in an impossibly cramped closet.

The tight space seemed too much for the pretty one, and as he rushed out Luther couldn't help but note what the second spirit called him. Son of Blush. The title seemed to carry as much weight as Fire-Forged did for the women, and he wondered why he wasn't given such a spirit or title to guide him? A waste of thought, he decided. He would survive on his own, as he always did. Besides, getting lost in thought in strange circumstances was a dangerous thing to do and Luther fully intended to hold onto this life as tightly as he could for as long as he could. Death didn't agree with him the first time, and he doubted it would feel any better the second go round.

With a cautious step, Luther brushed past the remaining rotting clothes and stepped out to follow the panicking man. He didn't know much of anything about either of his companions, but there was a certain safety in numbers that he was unwilling to abandon just yet. Beyond that, whoever this person was, they were in distress and in a strange place. Sometimes helping a person didn't require any complex motivations, sometimes it was simply the right thing to do.

Placing a careful but comforting hand on the man's back, Luther looked sympathetically at the stranger. He stood there, fingers tracing soothing circles on the man's back on his back as felt breath, heavy and hard, rise under his hand. When the stranger found the strength to speak, Luther smiled in response. "S'all right, I ain't exactly a fan of them myself."

A man approached out of the crowd, and with his arrival Luther began to understand the situation they found themselves. Grey people in a grey room moving like slaves to an obsession than out of their own free will. A decrepit ballroom filled with stilted bodies wearing rotting clothes, it wasn't hard for Luther to figure out what type of creature they were dealing with. After all, he had been one of them but moments ago.

The dead were dancing, and they were asking the living if they wanted to join in.

"Likewise," he responded to the ghost's question, bouncing off of the pretty boy's answer. "But maybe later if you play a song from the Empire."

Better to leave the option open than risk aggravating the specters. Luther knew from experience how quick a ghost could turn if refused their obsession outright. He turned to Hart at the man's introduction, and then to the red-haired women after him.

"Luther, nice to meet y'all." At Hart's request, the former-specter gave the request his support with a smile. "I apologize, but you can see that my friend here is a little uneasy right now. Does one these doors-" he gestured towards the three doors across the dance floor. "-lead to a place where me and my compatriots might have a bit of privacy?"

No matter what happened, Luther would find a way to get out of this alive. If he could manage it, he'd help these strangers survive to. Nobody deserved to be at the mercy of ghost. Luther had caused enough pain to the living know that fact all too well.
word count: 1054
Vega
Approved Character
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1739
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"Gerrof you steamin' pervert!" Vega kicked, intuitively, at whoever it was that was tangled up in her legs. One bit she'd been grumbling with Arlo and now, here she was in a dusty wardrobe-type affair, which was about as old and crusty as a pair of Vri's knickers. She clambered up, quickly, more than ready to defend herself against the... apparently two perverts she was with. "How'd we get here an' who in the name of Ashan's armpit are you pair?" She was about to say more, give them both the telling off of their lives, when the Immortals-forsaken candle blew out. "Knickers," said Vega and then glanced up as the illumation from "Hey up, our Chuckles, you a'right?" She glanced up at the fire-formed creature and she sighed.

"Now, some folks migh' be wond'ring how it is that you're not makin' the crusty contents of this cupboard go woof, but I'm not right bothered about that. Where's Arlo?" Glancing at the other two with her, Vega said. "I was with my 'usband. Tall bloke, dark hair an' eyes. Taller'n me an' wearin' a hat. It's a bit dubious, on first glance, but it's a good hat. Chuckles, go find him, would you?" She sniffed slightly, as the door opened and she frowned. "He's out there, I can smell him."

Vega stomped out into the ballroom, and she looked at the pretty-looking one who'd been in the closet with her. He didn't like being in an enclosed space? She nodded her head. "Well, don't worry about it. Now we're in a real weird ballroom with discordant music an' a bunch of masked weirdos. This is Chuckles, he's my ... well, he's my friend really."

The pretty-looking fellow introduced himself, then the other bloke and Vega nodded. "Nice to meet you, Hart an' Luther. I'm Vega. This is Chuckles. An' yeah, I'd like to get outdoors if we can, too. I were sittin' with my husband an' he seems to 'ave wondered off." They both started asking questions and Vega rolled her eyes. "I don't know about you boys," she said, to Luther and Hart, "But I'm not real inclined to ask the 'elp of the nice-smellin' lady what opened the door of the closet we jus' appeared in after a whole crab-bucket full of pain which was well dodgy. So, unless one o' you knows better, I'm gettin' out of here." She grinned at the pair of them. "But first things first. Lets check out where we are, shall we? An' did you pair get a right case of the screamin' habdabs just before this happened? Hurt like I'd eaten a pickled egg what had gone rotten.Regular pain, gettin' closer an' closer."

Stomping - it was the only word to describe how Vega walked; purposefully she strode to the doors, trying each one and looking through the doorway. Mostly, though, she used her natural and trial-by-trial abilities to hunt. What was this place, what were the hidden things and pieces, the corners? What was out of place? Before anything else, Vega took stock of her surroundings - this room - through the archways, and up the stairs. Before working out where she was going, Vega knew she had to understand where she was. "Arlo Creede, where the poggin' heck have you gone to, you dweeb?" Vega muttered, her hand on the pommel of her sword.
word count: 596

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Aegis
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

Ashan 30, 719, Maybe

The man smiled at Hart, "Oh, but the joy of dancing is in learning. As for where we are, this is the Palace of Lions, of course. Surely you can tell that it is Her home, with your mother being such a dear friend and regular visitor." Then he sniffed at the air, "Your brother stopped by not too long ago as well. But he has since left us. He came from a closet too." He then gestured to an archway, "Those stairs will take you to a balcony. Excitement does cause vapors." The woman that was there to help Hart would stay be his side, constantly touching him gently on the arm or cheek, and giving him looks through heavy eyelids, biting her lip.

The man's focus left Hart and turned to the dapper Luther. "My, my, you certainly did come dressed for the occasion. What a fine jacket. You must tell me who your tailor is. Phenomenal work." The man then snapped his fingers, and the music changed. "Do you know the March of the Empress? Was quite popular in those lands. Raskalarn herself even danced to it once or twice." The music was powerful, full of percussion and heavy brass. A few string instruments came in, but their sounds were scratchy and strained, whining out over the music. And the dance began, with heavy stomps, and harsh, violent movements. It was quite out of place for a ball in most lands, but in the Eternal Empire, this one was the dance of the highest of society.

"But if you need privacy, every room here is yours to use. Seems your... friend wishes some privacy as well. Perhaps you join her?" The man winked at Luther, before returning to the floor and joining the dancing. He looked over at Vega, who was now fiddling with the various doors and archways. Chuckles had departed the redheaded woman, per her request, off to go find Arlo. Her seeking found several rooms.

The first room was a dusty sitting room, once ornate but now decrepit, with a woman sitting in a chair by a fire, knitting away at something or other. She didn't even seem to notice Vega's presence. The second was a room full of plants, all dead now, and windows. As that door was closed though, a skittering sound could be heard. Another room was just as large as the ballroom, full of just as many people, talking, and eating at a buffet table. But this table was in full color, just as the people who had arrived. And the food was in pristine condition, delicious and edible. The fourth door was securely locked.

The two archways were set in what appeared to be the towers of castles, much like the castle Vega and Arlo had discovered in Cassion's shrine, with stairs spiraling up and away from the ballroom. Both of these stairwells led many floors up, a long, long hike. At the top was another doorway, for both sets. Both doors opened into dusty bedrooms, with balconies. And both balconies looked out over literal nothingness. There was no land, no stars, no sky. Pure blackness. This Palace of Lions was truly alone in whatever world it might be.

Between the two towers were two more, ornate wooden stairs leading up to another landing, with one, large double set of doors. They were the most finely crafted thing in the entire room, and yet, Vega's skill as a woodworker would see that they were also the most decayed. Warped, rotten, swollen and jammed in place. And the song of the empire, which was at least fifteen bits long, played on.

In Vega's mind, "Fire-forged, I've found Arlo. He's with a.. cold looking woman. And a lizard."
Vega has affected those in The Door of Souls. Chuckles has departed from this thread. Chuckles will maintain a line of communication with Vega. Anything he sees, hears, or says, Vega will know. Vega can communicate with him through their bond, effectively telepathy.

Any questions your PC will ask IC will be answered by a PM/DM, so as to be added to your post if so desired.

Any OOC questions are welcome.

This round is open until the morning of April 9th.

word count: 726
Hart
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"Speaking in Rakahi"
"Speaking in Common"
extra line here
The dancing man had said that this was the Palace of Lions, and Hart tried to make sense of the man's words. "Surely you can tell that it is Her home, with your mother being such a dear friend and regular visitor." Her home, the man had said, but whose? And whoever she was, Hart's mother was her friend. My mother, Si'tony? he almost asked, but he knew without asking that that wasn't right.

The man was talking about Edasha.

Did that mean that this place, this Palace of Lions, was of the immortals? The people were dancing almost as if they wouldn't stop, and Hart felt suddenly sure that their dancing was significant. It had to be.

"As for the immortals, I profess I don't know much about them," he'd once said. "Whether Edasha is the fount of all beauty or whether she is the manifestation of it, I wouldn't know. But I ask this-- are we not unable to dance?"

The dancing man also mentioned his brother, and Hart said with some surprise, "Tristan?"

"No," the man said. "Hwyn."

Hwyn. He had never heard that name before.

He had never thought to ask.

Did Edasha have other children?

Hart's head was spinning, spinning. He put a hand out and gripped Luther's shoulder, as if for balance. "Sorry," he muttered and then, abruptly, turned red.

Just as abruptly he took his hand back from Luther, aware that, had he held onto him, he might have accidentally done something he-- he did not want to do, he told himself. His hands felt like they were on fire. He made them into fists and crossed his arms. His face was flushed, and he glanced at Luther and then with some accusation at Lust, who wouldn't let up on touching him. "Later, okay," he murmured. He tried to focus. "You're being distracting."

He was still trapped in this immortals-forsaken place.

He needed to focus on that.

The dancing man had said that there was a balcony somewhere, and after a glance at Luther and another at Vega, Hart strode off through the archway and around and around and around the spiraling staircase until it made him dizzy. As he took the stairs a thought, unbidden, came to mind.

Zarik, pure seeking.

Lust, the thought said, as if in a hurry.

What? Hart thought.

Hello? He wasn't sure what this was. We're in the Palace of Lions, he thought. We're trying to get out.

But the thought, Zarik, was gone.

What the hell was that? Hart wondered, still dizzy.

He nearly ran up the remainder of the staircase in his hurry to get to the balcony. When he got to the top he burst through the only door. The door fell open and he stumbled into a bedroom.

"You've got to be kidding me," Hart said. Lust smiled.

There was a balcony across the bedroom, but it wasn't right. It was just dark. There was nothing outside. No fresh air, no wind, no sky. Nothing. Hart crossed to it and leaned over the side of the balcony, looking out.

"What happens if I go out there?" he asked the spirit.

"I'd miss you," she said, and Hart stopped leaning quite so far.

He was suddenly aware that she was standing very near to him. Her hand was on his arm. He should have stayed with the others, he thought. He had run up here to get himself away from them, especially from Luther. Because-- because of his hands, and how he'd felt. But Vega and Luther weren't here. And she, the spirit, was.

"Do you know what we're supposed to be doing?" Hart asked her. He was trapped, and he wanted to leave. "Do you know where we're supposed to go?"

"I’m here to help you find the Door," the spirit said. "And I have no idea. Well, not about that." She smiled. "I have plenty of... other ideas." She winked at him and Hart looked away from her, back out to the darkness.

"Do you know a way out?" he asked.

"I can leave anytime," she said. "You, not so much."

"But you could take me to the Door," he said.

"I could try. But I would need you to give me more strength." She was very near to him now.

"How?" Hart asked her.

"I’m a spirit of lust, silly." She didn't say anything more. She simply touched his cheek.

Hart kissed her.

He didn't think about it, he just-- did. Her mouth was sweet and he felt hot, all over. He was aware the door to the bedroom was open, across the room. The kiss deepened, and the door didn't concern him any longer. He pulled back from her and he felt, as before, that he couldn't catch his breath. His eyes were very dark and though he pulled back, his hands were on her, dragging her closer. He dropped his mouth to the curve of her neck.

"When you take me to the Door," he murmured against her throat, "Can you take the others with us?"

"I can try," she whispered. Her body moved against his. "It will be more difficult."

"How difficult?" Hart whispered, and then she kissed him again or he had kissed her. Her mouth parted against his and he couldn't think. He wasn't quite sure-- how this had happened, but that didn't matter to him. He pressed her against the balcony, his hands on either side of her, keeping her where she was.

Then he began to slowly place kisses down the length of her body, ignoring the simple white dress she wore. He was certain there was nothing underneath.

OOC: The dancing man's and Lust's spoken responses are from Aegis.

The hands on fire thing is what happens when Hart loses control of his Bliss ability. He almost roofied Luther, I'm sorry.

I blame Lust.
word count: 1029
Luther
Approved Character
Race: Undead (Ghost)
Profession: Daia Devotee
Renown: 15
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Wealth Tier: Tier 4

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

None of this was making any sense. Palace of Lions? Hart's family having visited? Vega calling this spirit of flame next to her a friend? What was going on here? And how did he have a part to play in any of this at all? Dead moments before and now alive again, his mind assaulted by all manner of mysteries, and not a single answer in sight!

Hart didn't take what the dancing man said well, leaning on Luther for support. It was comforting, surprisingly gentle, and he couldn't help but feel some of his anxieties abated by the man's touch. Arcs had passed since he had really, truly felt another person; Hart's warmth bleeding through even the thick layers of coat. Normally Luther would have shrugged such an invading gesture, innately protective of his Anchor, but around this boy his walls didn't come up as quickly. Luther looked down at the blushing Hart, completely confused as to why blush was now crawling up the man's pretty face.

As abruptly as the touch came, it went. Along with it Hart. By this time Vega, with her strange and direct manner, had stomped off to find an exit. He saw her try numerous doors, only one resting her pull. His companions and their spirits had left; leaving Luther alone with the dancing man. Well, as long he was here, he might as well ask a few questions of the ghost. After all, out of all the living souls there Luther was the most prepared to deal with these phantoms if they turned unfriendly.

"Thank you. It's an heirloom, from my granddad's time in the military," he replied evenly, unwilling to show this specter how truly at a loss he was. In his experience, phantoms preyed on vulnerability, and Luther wasn't about to lose his composure so quickly. Even if the dancer had changed the music with a supernatural snap. "I do actually! Though I admit I am a fair bit rusty. Been quite awhile since I cut a rug, especially in a place as fancy as this. Tell you what, since it appears my compatriots have better things to do, why don't you and I get on the floor? You provide the dance moves, and I'll provide the conversation. How does that sound?"

With a sweep of his arm, the dancing man gestured toward the center of the ballroom. "A man of culture is always welcome on this floor."

Luther found himself quickly ushered into the center of the ballroom, flanked by the dancing man and other decaying specters. A slow, steady beat of drums shook the floor as dancers shifted themselves into lines like spear men awaiting a charging cavalry. Stomping joined in with the drums, and the whole of the room began to rumble as the March began. Blaring horns of war sounded, and Luther, while still clumsy from lack of practice, began falling in synch with the other dancers quick enough.

"You called this place the Palace of Lions, right? Where on Idalos is that exactly? And what's Hart family got to do with all of this?" Luther inquired of the dancing man, nearly having to shout to make himself heard amidst the thunderous stomping which filled the air.

“Yes, that is it’s name. And it’s not on Idalos.” He smiles, “Hwyn was just a visitor.”

Shocked at the man's reply, Luther nearly tumbled out of the marching line as he took a misstep. Not on Idalos? What...what did the man mean. Could he be in the Beneath, and all of this be some elaborate fabrication created by a wistful Empty? A hex made to toy with the minds of those who wandered by it? Or perhaps...perhaps he was somewhere beyond the beneath.

"So where are we then? Colegut? Olamanelle? Emea?" Luther pressed, becoming aggravated by the man's obfuscating answers. "And why am I here? I'm not important like the others are. I don't have any spirits to guide me. I am...I was like you."

The man shrugs, “I’m not so sure. I just dance here. I don’t know why you’re here.” The man’s face soured at this, “I have a dance to get to.”

Luther let out an audible groan. Of course the dancer didn't have any answers for him, and of course he was left with more questions than solutions. Wasn't that just so typical? Fine. It was apparent he wasn't going to get anymore information out of the stranger, so there was no point in wasting time dancing any longer. With a forced bow, Luther left the dancers to their stilted movement and tried to shuffle his way out of the marching crowd.

“Life,” a thought that wasn't of Luther's making rang out in his mind, his brow wincing in response to the intrusion. His hand rushed towards his head, and Luther pushed even faster towards the edge of the ballroom. No, no this was too much. A palace full of ghosts and two of the oddest people he had ever met were already enough to raise the man's hackles, but voices in his head? That was something Luther not abide by.

“You’d best get outta my head. Now. I already gotta deal with ghosts--” he started to reply, but whatever connection had been made with Luther was promptly broken. Yet another mystery to add onto the pile. All these unanswered questions, all these obfuscations and dead-ends, they were driving Luther mad with frustration. The drums of the March matched the pounding in his head, and suddenly the room around him felt like it was closing in. He needed space, he needed a moment to think, and more than anything he needed answers.

Looking up, he spotted that locked door that resisted Vega's pulling. There would be an answer in there, there had to be. Luther needed things to start making sense, and he needed it now. With a quick and driven step, Luther approached the locked door. Gripping onto the jagged edges of his frustration, Luther channeled his emotion into ectoplasm. His form shimmered like dust in the wind, and with desperate intent Luther Conveyed himself through the locked door.
word count: 1061
Vega
Approved Character
Profession: Hat-Wearer
Renown: 1739
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

This place was irritating, there was no doubt about it. Vega was more than prepared to be Very Irritated Indeed, but then things got even more bizarre.

"Fire" came a voice in her head. It sounded like a male of the species talking, though he had that sort of soft spoken, gentle little voice that meant he was probably all soft and fluffy. Vega frowned, deeply. "Fire? What?" Vega spoke, as she thought and she looked around physically as she felt the telepathic contact. "Who're you an' what are you doin' in my head? Is Arlo with you? Who're you? Xiur's perky nips, but this is well weird." With a sigh she thought that she probably looked a little bit like a complete nutball. But then, on the next thought she realised that she really didn't care what she looked like so that was alright.

But then, the fluffy-soft-man-voice in her head answered. Vega wasn't sure whether she was pleased or irritated by that turn of events. "Fire supports you. I'm, uh, Zarik Venora. Maybe, who's Arlo?" Well, that decided it for her and she spoke, again, as she thought. "Oh, Famula's bouncy knockers. If he were with you, you'd know. He's the handsome fella in a hat. If you see him, tell him 'is wife loves him an' to get his ass over here. Good luck with whatever yer doin' Zarik Venora. Get out of my head." The lack of reply told her that he was, at the very least, obedient. Vega dismissed Zarik as a pointless irritant.

But then, as she searched the rooms, the upstairs and the downstairs, she heard a different - and very welcome voice in her head.The daughter of Faldrun spoke, even as she thought back. "Chuckles! You're the end of a leg, that you are. Right. Well. Tell 'im this, ok? I've searched the place I'm in, an' there's most of the rooms what have got no colour, but there's one room that's all colourful. I came here with two others. Hart and Luther. We were all tangled up together in a closet when we arrived. They seem a'right, but I dunno, they're not the brightest. I found a locked door. An'..." Vega frowned then and her voice sounded much more nervous. "An' I went onto the balcony. There's nothin' outside, Arlo. Like. No land, nor sea, no sky nor stars. It's like were' jus'.... in nowhere. There's beautiful woodwork but the nicer it is, the more posh an' proper, the more decayed it is, too. So. I'm goin' to that locked door an' I'm going to open it. Fair means or foul. Chuckles... can you get Arlo an' me to the same place? Are we in the same house?"

Vega, therefore, had a plan. Get to the locked door, and find Arlo. But she was, without a doubt, who she was. So, in the midst of a posh party with people dancing and all sorts of finery and foppish behaviour going on, Vega yelled. Loud. "HART! LUTHER!! GET YERSELF DOWN TO THAT LOCKED DOOR!! "

And that was where she stomped back to - the door which Luther had headed to but moments before. Vega was a dreamwalker and she was of the opinion that this might be - kind of must be - a weird assed dream, so she tried to create a key out of nothing - tried to will the door open. If that didn't work, she would look around for a key - then ask the nice and overly helpful man.

But failing all else? She'd kick the door in.

word count: 624

Vega's skin has a reflective metallic sheen with a red glow. Her eyes still swirl biqaj colours, but one colour is always bright red which glows like fire. She has a bright red glow in her chest, situated directly under the mark of a heart (Daia mark) in the middle of a glowing silver dragon on her chest (Xiur). She's unnaturally warm to the touch
Aegis
Prophet of Old
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Miscellaneous

Ashan 30, 719, Maybe

After some time, the spirit of lust pulled away from Hart after their passionate romping. Being a spirit, she had no need to clean herself up as mortals might. But Hart would notice that she seemed to glow more brightly, her features were more well defined, and the lust she radiated only grew. He would feel it crawling beneath his skin, urging him to partake more, and more.

Without giving Hart a chance to dress, she tapped him on the shoulder, and with that tap, his desire grew. Literally. And then the two were gone.

Meanwhile, Luther was conveying himself through the locked door.

Vega yelled, of course. Vega tried to summon a key to unlock the door. But no key came, of course. She might've been a dreamwalker, but this was no dream. And even with her hunting skills, no key could be found. And the nice and overly helpful man had no clue about any keys, aside from those played upon a piano.

And so, Vega kicked.

And the doors shattered open.

In that moment of shattering, Arlo and Chuckles appeared right next to Vega, just in time to see the door caving in, splinters flying all about, Vega's leg still in the air. Fortunately for Arlo, his having been burned to ash was simply thematic, and he did not have to suffer the excruciating pain of being burned to death. No one should ever have to go through that. Unfortunately for poor Luther, he'd just conveyed through that same door. Which meant he was solid on the other side. So when the door caved inward, it sent Luther flying forward onto his face, before the door feel atop him, pinning him, and cracking a couple of ribs.

And that's when Hart and his dear friend appeared, in their post-coital state, standing atop the fallen door, on top of Luther.

Chuckles spoke first. "I brought Arlo."

And so, the gang was all here, beyond the old locked door. And the room they were in was one of former splendor. There were carvings of lions all about, dresses hung upon statues, there were paintings of ballrooms aplenty. There was a marble fireplace to one side, with the painting of a red haired man above, one of dashing good looks. Opposite that was an ornate mirror. Everything was covered in thick layers of dust and cobwebs. The floorboards were riddled with mold and rot, wall paper was hanging off the blackened walls. And in the very back of the room, was an old, green, velvety couch. And upon it, a woman with dark skin, dark curly hair, laid. She was in a red and gold evening gown, and she made no moves, stirred nonesoever, and gave off no indications of life.

For she was very much dead.

There was a crimson blotch over her right breast, staining the dress, a slim hole at its center. She looked peaceful, there was no evidence of pain or fear upon her resting face. Around her neck was a string of pearls, with a ruby the size of a sand dollar hung limply. In her hair were wilted flowers, in one hand, a piece of fabric, the other empty.

Hart's companion slinked up against him, pressing herself upon him just as he had done to her not long before, a finger trailing down his chest, "The door is here... somewhere. And your friends are here too, just as you wanted..." She nibbled up at his neck, her other hand working its way down his back.

And then Arlo's stomach growled, really loudly.
Arlo and Chuckles have arrived.

Questions are always welcome.

I will post again on April 16th.

word count: 628
Hart
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

"Speaking in Rakahi"
"Speaking in Common"
extra line here
The spirit pulled away and Hart felt

like he was drunk.

He still wasn't sure exactly how this had happened. He remembered the spirit saying something about, that she had needed him. Or had he needed her? He had kissed her first, but he wasn't sure why he had done it. He was thinking of kissing her again and he wasn't sure he should do that either. At the same time he was entirely sure that he should. He managed to look away from Lust as she-- glowed up. Looking at her was almost too much.

He definitely felt drunk.

Somehow he'd lost his clothes. He'd been certain he'd pulled off the spirit's dress but she was still wearing it. Partially drunken of movement, Hart stumbled around the balcony and gathered up his things. He was just about to get his clothing on when Lust stepped into his space and touched him lightly with one hand.

He nearly doubled over as all the blood in his head went directly to his--

"Ha." Hart gasped out a breath, and then they were somewhere else entirely.

---
Downstairs

Hart was aware of Lust standing very near to him. For a handful of trills that was all he was aware of. Whatever they were standing on was quite wobbly, and Hart nearly stumbled over into her arms.

Being near her, like looking at her, was almost too much.

Vega was there and there was a man with a hat. The man with the hat could only be Vega's husband, Arlo. They both had clothes on.

Hart

didn't.

He was naked. And he was aroused. He and Lust were standing on a door. And someone was underneath it.

"Ah, whoops," Hart said and wobbled off, pulling Lust with him.

He scrabbled to get his hands on the door, to lift it from, yes, that was Luther. "I'm sorry," he said and made as if to help the poor man up. He looked in pain. At the last trill Hart remembered his hands. "Ah," he said, and made sure not to touch the poor fellow.

And Hart was still naked. He started clumsily pulling on his clothes.

"Sorry," he muttered again.

Only when he was clothed did he take notice of the room beyond and the corpse on the velvet couch.

That was, until Lust slunk up against him.

Lust was-- distracting. Hart's mind was telling him this was bad. His body was telling him this was good. "Your friends are here too," she murmured. That suggested, ah, a lot and Hart flushed again. Her mouth was at his neck and he sort of got-- confused.

When he came back she was still pressed against him and he wasn't sure why he had put on his clothing.

But there was something

--the corpse--

that was stopping him. Hart gasped and pulled away from the spirit, though she tried to follow. He tried to untangle himself from her. Somehow he managed. He stumbled away from her to the wall and sort of leaned there and breathed. Lust smiled at him, lazy and smirking, and he thought, feeling as if he had been set aflame, that she was trying to-- to keep hold of him.

He had fucked up. He shouldn't have touched her. He shouldn't have let her touch him.

"The Door," he said to her, not looking at her. "Where is it?" If he looked at her or if she touched him he was going to lose his mind, so he just-- didn't. He didn't look at anyone else either.

He just needed to get through this.

“It’s... in here somewhere..." the spirit said. "The most beautiful of the doors...”

"Is it a physical door?" Hart asked her. "How do we find it?"

“I’m... not sure.”

She had said she could take him to the Door and Hart realized that while he had meant for her to take him through the Door, out of this place, the spirit had taken it literally-- to take him to the Door. Which she had done, and nothing else. He didn't know if she had done anything to get the others here, or if they had gotten in by themselves. From the state of the door they had come in through, they had gotten in without her.

So everything he had done was for nothing.

She reminded him of Harlow.

"I need out of here," he muttered.

From his place at the wall, away from the rest of the group, Hart glanced around the room. But he didn't see any doors, save for the one the others had come in through.

"Why is the Door beautiful?" he asked the spirit. If she tried to get near to him again he would dance away from her grasp. If anyone else got too close he would keep away from them too.

“Because death is beautiful,” she said.

Hart looked at his hands.

His fingertips seemed as if they were stained with black ink. Vri, the immortal of Death, had marked him.

"Where does the Door lead?" Hart asked her.

“To something old and wonderful...” the spirit said.

She had said she was here to assist him, but she wasn't going to do that. She wanted to use him. And he had let her.

Just like Harlow.

"Vri?" Hart asked aloud, as if the immortal might be in the room. The room was full of interesting things --the portrait on the wall, the statues hung with dresses, even the necklace around the corpse's neck-- but Hart thought it was the corpse herself, perhaps, that was the point of this.

He crossed to her side.

There was something familiar about the woman, he thought. The lions he couldn't make sense of but he had a feeling that-- they were significant. This room was obviously hers. Perhaps the whole place was.

Hart paused.

Dance.

Hadn't he thought that this place, the Palace of Lions, was of the immortals?

And the woman was dead.

"Lust," he said, "Who is this woman?"

"She's the Lioness."

The Palace of Lions, Hart thought. And she the Lioness.

This was her palace.

But this woman, if she was immortal--

It couldn't be.

Gently, Hart went to a knee next to the corpse. Again he invoked Vri's name, though this time only in his mind. Then he focused upon the woman, and reached out to touch her hand.

OOC: Okay. I'm not sure if this is going to work because of the specifics of the ability, but I'm going to try. Hart is using the Bellinos ability Final Moment on the woman. Final Moment reads:

A Favored of Vri has the ability to experience the last few minutes of a corpse’s life. They experience the death as if it were happening to them and only come out of the trance when the experience has ended. This is always a jarring and emotionally devastating ability to use as one can never quite get ‘used’ to dying, but it can reveal remarkable clues and insights as to the wishes or circumstances behind a death. A body must be presented, mostly intact (within a cycle or two following death), for the ability to work. /description
word count: 1244
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Parts Unknown”