• Solo • Defense 101

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderator: Ghoul

Ari'sora
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Caretaker at Luna's Dream
Renown: +146
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 6
Medal count: 4

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Defense 101

Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:01 pm

85th Vhalar, 718

The eighty fifth of Vhalar was a strange trial for Ari'sora. One that filled her with very mixed feelings. Totrial was the Ritual of Remembrance, a trial when she and her sister were supposed to celebrate their dead mother. The problem was that she really didn't like the thought of celebrating the woman who hated her so much. She knew that Mi'zuri loved their mother, but for her own part, she was glad that the woman was dead. Mostly.

What's wrong? You look troubled.

Ari'sora looked up to see Shadow walking into the room.

Sort of. I don't know if you know this, but totrial is the Ritual of Remembrance. We're supposed to celebrate our dead so that they won't linger for the rest of the arc. But the only one who had died in my family is my mother, and...well...

Shadow nodded.

You don't really feel like celebrating her. I can understand that.

She paused for a few trills before continuing.

But maybe if you think about it as preventing her from haunting you instead of celebrating her, it would be easier? More like protecting yourself from her than honoring her memory.

Ari'sora smiled at her friend.

Thanks. That does help.

After her talk with Shadow, Ari'sora made her way outside. Once out in the open, she unfurled her wings, and spread them wide. Then she began flapping them vigorously. In one of her last lessons, she had been told that while she couldn't do much to learn how to defend herself until her child was born, she could exercise. Exercise helped to strengthen muscles, build muscle tone, and make the person who did it religiously enough stronger. It stood to reason that vigorous flapping was exercise for her wings, and would make them stronger too.

She managed to keep it up for a good quarter of a break before the burn in her muscles warned her that it would be a good idea to stop. By doing this several times a trial, she hoped to work her way up to being able to fly for longer periods of time without getting tired. Ari'sora wasn't ready to go back inside yet, so she made her way over to one of the fields that had already been harvested. When it wasn't being used for growing crops, it was often used for defense lessons, and that was what Ari'sora hoped to get now. Even if she couldn't practice much until after the baby was born, she could sit in and listen. Maybe she would be able to learn something.

word count: 456
Ari'sora
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Re: Defense 101

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:20 pm

85th Vhalar, 718

It was on the cool side, but the sun made it feel nice. It was the perfect kind of weather for working outside. A light wind sprang up, stirring the grass around her. It startled her, making her pause in her steps. Her eyes narrowed as she tracked the current of the wind, watching it dance around until it faded away. She smiled. Her mother had hated her father with everything she had. And as a result, she had hated her just as much, just for being part of him.

After all of the horrible things she had heard about the Avriel, Ari'sora couldn't help but fear them. Hate, though...hate was different. Darker. Hate infected the people who felt it, making them darker, too. Almost as if the emotion was somehow able to twist people into its own image. Ari'sora knew this first hand after seeing what it had turned her own mother into. She had feared her mother, too. But she didn't hate her.

As for her father...she had never known the man, and it was hard to feel anything for someone she didn't know. Impossible, really. Were she to ever meet the man, she thought she would be wary of him because he was an Avriel, but that was about it. And even with that, it was impossible to ignore the mark he had left on her. She loved being able to fly. Flying meant freedom. She loved being able to see the currents of the wind just as much as she loved flying. As a child, she imagined them to be her friends. She would watch them outside her window, and imagine all kinds of stories about what they would have to tell her when they returned.

But those were childish fantasies, and she was no longer a child. So she set the memories aside, and continued on her way.

word count: 330
Ari'sora
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:08 pm

85th Vhalar, 718

When she arrived at the field, a middle aged retired Element named Simone was giving a lesson on how to punch people if Ari'sora's guess was right. At least, the group of kids the older woman was teaching were lined up in rows, and were punching the air in front of them. So if they weren't learning how to punch people, Ari'sora really didn't know what they were doing. She didn't want to disturb the lesson, so she stood off to one side, and watched in silence.

After half a break or so, Simone dismissed the kids, and started to walk in her direction. Her hands were on her hips as she glared at her sternly.

"No, no, no. How many times do I have to tell you? I know that Rynata told you that the people who run Beacon want everyone who lives here to learn how to defend themselves. And that's true. But look at you! There's no way in hell I am going to teach a heavily pregnant girl how to fight. Especially not unarmed combat of any kind. Doing so could hurt your unborn child. And I won't take that risk even if you are willing to."

Ari'sora nodded.

"I remember. And I don't want to risk hurting my baby either." she said hastily.

"Then why are you here, if not to ask me for a lesson?"

"I might be pregnant, but watching you teach lessons won't hurt anything will it? You yourself told me that with as little as I know about defense, just watching others fight can teach me something. Besides...when we first met, you asked me to choose a weapon I thought I might be interested in learning how to use. I have. And I was hoping...well, even if I can't do much until the baby is born, I was hoping that you might be able to teach me at least a little."

Simone nodded slowly.

"All right then. I'll give you that. Watching me teach others won't hurt anything as long as you don't participate. I'm here around late morning til late afternoon most trials. But if I catch you trying to join in on any of the lessons you watch, I won't let you come watch any more. Are we understood?"

Ari'sora nodded. Simone's stern look faded, and she grinned.

"So what weapon have you chosen? I won't promise to give you a lesson with it totrial, but if it's something you can learn about without any risk to your kid, I'll see what I can do."

"The short bow." Ari'sora said simply.

She had no intention of admitting that her choice had been made as much because she admired a character in a book she had read when she was younger than anything else. The character was a thief...but she never stole to benefit herself. She kept a close eye on the city that she lived in, and when someone stole something from someone else...especially if the victim had no means of recouping the loss of whatever had been stolen, she stepped in. The thief would pit her own skills against the other thief, and she would always be better. She would steal back the item that had been stolen, and give it back to the person who it had been stolen from originally. And she used a bow to help her do so. Mostly by tying a light rope to an arrow, and shooting it to create an escape route for herself. Or as a means to help her to break into a building.

Simone looked her up and down with a calculating eye.

"Not a bad choice." Simone admitted.

"A slip of a girl like you has no chance in a close battle unless they have a lot of skill, and speed. And right now, you don't. That doesn't mean you couldn't ever learn how to hold your own, but right now? You'd be overpowered by some of the children I've taught, never mind a big, strong man. But with a distance weapon...well, that makes the playing field more even. Strength does play a part in it in that a strong person can wield a more powerful bow. But skill is more important...and skill can be learned. Strength on the other hand, that's different. With practice, you can maximize the strength you have, but it isn't something you can learn per say. And in large part, it is a factor controlled by birth. A muscular, broad shouldered, powerfully built giant of a man is always going to be stronger than a little slip of a girl like you no matter how much you try to get stronger. That's just the way it is."

Simone grinned.

"With a bow, a tiny thing like you can be just as deadly as a giant bear of a man...as long as you work for it hard enough."

Ari'sora nodded to show that she understood.

"A bow is also a good choice for someone who isn't planning to take the path of a warrior. Bows can be used for other things beside killing people. Hunting, for example. Or scaring a wolf away from a flock of sheep. They can even be used as a means of communication."

At Ari'sora's confused look, Simone laughed.

"It's the arrows. They have fletching...feathers attached to the ends of them. If you know what you're doing, you can create a code by using patterns in those feathers. Cut them to a certain pattern, and that can mean something to someone who knows the code. Another pattern would mean something else. And so on."

Ari'sora nodded again. She couldn't help but wonder if that was something she could learn how to do some trial.

"Wait here."

Simone jogged over to the far edge of the field. When she returned, she had a bow in her hand. Ari'sora guessed that it must be a short bow.

"You're in luck. You chose a weapon that I can teach you a few things about even before your baby is born. Had you chosen a bladed weapon of any kind, I would have sent you away until after he or she is born. So. We'll start with the parts of a bow. Knowing what everything is will help you when it comes to actually learning how to use the weapon. It will also help you with maintaining it. Do you see this part here?" the older woman asked as she pointed at the curved wooden part of the bow.

Ari'sora nodded.

"This is what we call the limbs of the bow. The top is the upper limb, and the bottom is the lower limb. Here in the center, you have the riser. It consists of three parts. The grip...that's where you hold it, naturally."

Ari'sora grinned as she nodded in understanding.

"Right above that, you have the bow window. And do you see that little ledge of wood above the grip?"

"I do."

"That is the arrow rest. It's where the arrow sits when you are getting ready to fire it. Basically, it makes it easier for you to put an arrow to your bow. Back to the limbs now. At the very top end of the upper limb, and the bottom of the lower limb, you have what we call a nock. This is where the bowstring is attached to the limbs of the bow. Then you have this string here. We call that the bowstring."

Ari'sora had to resist the urge to stick her tongue out at Simone when she heard the smugness in her tone when she explained the last part.

"That much, I could have guessed." was all she said.

Simone laughed.

"I like you. So. Moving on. Putting an arrow to your bow is called nocking it. Watch closely as I demonstrate."

Well, at least she didn't tell me what the arrows were... Ari'sora thought as she nodded.

Simone jogged back to the edge of the field. When she returned, she had a leather circular case that was open at the top slung over one shoulder.

"This is what we call a quiver. You carry arrows in it. And these things inside it are called arrows." she said with a grin.

Ari'sora did stick her tongue out at the older woman this time, making her laugh. Then it was time to get serious. Ari'sora watched closely as Simone took an arrow out of her quiver. She gripped it with the thumb and index finger of her right hand as she drew it out of the quiver.

"If you are left handed, you would do this with your left hand." Simone explained.

"I'm not." Ari'sora replied.

"A nocked arrow should be positioned about a quarter inch above the arrow rest on the bow handle. Some bows have a small brass band called a “nocking point” crimped onto the bowstring to mark the correct position." Simone said before going back to her demonstration.

As Ari'sora watched, the older woman held the bow parallel to the ground at waist height with her left hand. The bowstring was positioned toward her body.

"So. Arrows have four parts. The long wooden part is the shaft, the point is the head, the feathers at the end are the fletching, and at the very end of the shaft behind the fletching is a indentation where the string is supposed to fit when you put the arrow to the string. That is called the nock. When nocking an arrow, you want to lay the arrow shaft on the bow’s arrow rest. They you align the slot in the nock with the string, while making sure that the fletching feathers point up. This is so that the arrow will clear the bowstring when you fire it. Finally, pull the arrow back until the bowstring snaps into the nock of the arrow."

As Simone spoke, she demonstrated exactly how this was supposed to be done. Then she had Ari'sora try it. At first, Ari'sora fumbled the arrow, dropping it before she could even begin to try to line it up properly. But Simone encouraged her, and eventually she managed to do it right once.

"It will get easier with time. If you practice long enough, you will be able to nock an arrow correctly every time, and do it in a matter of a trill or two. But that will only come in time, and with many breaks of practice."

"Everything that is worth doing takes a lot of practice to get it right." Ari'sora said quietly.

Simone laughed.

"So it does."

Simone was about to say more, but she was interrupted when a small group of teens walked into the field carrying swords.

"Now this is a lesson I won't let you watch. Watching advanced swordwork won't do you a bit of good if you don't know the basics first. And even if you wanted to learn those, I won't teach you until after the baby is born. So off with you now. If you want to watch a basic unarmed fighting class, I'll be doing another one of those tomorrow morning."

With that, Simone turned her back on Ari'sora, and went over to greet her students. Ari'sora lingered for a few trills, then headed home.

word count: 1964
Korva
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Fisherman/Woodworker
Renown: +90
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Partner
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:36 pm

Rewards!

Name: Ari'sora

Knowledge:
Skill
Flying: flapping vigorously will strengthen wing muscles
Ranged Combat; Shortbow: has more uses than just killing people
Ranged Combat; Shortbow: parts of a short bow
Ranged Combat; Shortbow: parts of an arrow
Ranged Combat; Shortbow: how to nock an arrow
Unarmed Combat; Brawling: shouldn't be attempted when heavily pregnant

Non
Ari'sora: loves watching the wind

Loot: NA
Injuries: NA
Renown: NA
Magic XP: NA

- - -
Comments: A cute thread, you gotta admire Ari'soras persistence in learning some self defense! Her emotions at the beginning of the thread regarding her mother were well done as well, enjoy you're rewards :D

If you feel I've missed anything or if you have questions about your review, please don't hesitate to send me a quick PM or ping me in Discord. Thanks!

**Made by the magnificent Kes
word count: 153
ન'ઊળઇ૯ ૧એ૪ઇ૮ ઔનઌઈઇ પઇ, પબ ઇબઇ૮ ૯રશ૧ મકઇ ૧એબ. --Korva

Return to “Scalvoris Town”