• Graded • [Eastern Gauthrel] Lurking around

40th of Zi'da 718

This is a forum where you can write threads in the wilderness of the Western Continent
Varthakh
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Jeger
Renown: 580
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

[Eastern Gauthrel] Lurking around

40th Zi'da 718

This form was adequate for now. The lurker of the plains; a massive, monstrous humanoid of incredible strength, capable of sweeping masses in just one swing of its blade. There was his problem, he had no blade. However, the beast that he'd taken this form from carried one such weapon, and its friend a weapon and a helmet.

Fridgar walked as an Alpha lurker, over thirty feet tall, so tall that he towered far above the enormous Gauthrien trees and shook the ground with a thundering echo with every step he took. A thick mane of amber hair dressed his head and neck an served to comfortably conceal the base of his horns, where they melded with his forehead and scalp. His nose was long, pointed and curved and stood prominently from his old, withered facial features. It was a strange look for the lurkers to assume, that of aged mortals, but it added to their unsettling, uncanny visage and he didn't question it.

This form carried many strengths, such as its impressive size, weight and strength. The ability to wield weapons and tools... The ability to terrify most living things with a heart-stopping roar and, of course, the ability to carry people, like his son, who sat on his head. The boy, who was nearing two arks old, was sat upon his head in a sort-of nest like formation made entirely of his red, thick hair. And despite breaking through branches and trampling smaller trees on his walk, he kept mind of his young and where they were crawling. The last thing he would want is for his boy to plummet to his death. Another strength of the lurker was its vaguely human tongue, mouth and vocal cords. Thus, he could speak without spending ether.

"We're almost there, my boy." His voice came as a startling roar, which set birds to flee the trees that they slept in, like a rising cloud of fluttering wings. Above the thumping of his footsteps he heard the light yawn of the young lothar on his head. "...I'm sweepy..." The quiet, child-like voice sounded above him. Somehow, the boy wasn't frightened of Fridgar, no matter what form he took or what totem he summoned. "You've slept long enough, little cub. Now is the time to learn." He explained as he walked. On his scalp, he felt the boy shift to sit closer to one of his horns, then cling tightly. "...Wearn?" The boy asked through another yawn.

"Yes, of Gauthrel, your home, and all it has to offer." The giant explained in his horrific voice as he kicked over a tree in his way. From this high, it sounded akin to a snapping twig, accompanied by a dull, quilted thud. "What form have I taken, do you know?" he asked. The boy hummed for a moment, kicking his legs back and forth while they dangled off his forehead. "Umm... diant!" He spoke after a brief moment of thought. G's and J's were still a little difficult for the ex-slave to pronounce properly, it seemed. The lurker smiled, chuckling a twisted, dark laugh. "Close... but not quite." He said, earning a confused "huh?" from his child.

"I am a lurker of the plains, a very dangerous and rare monster. If you ever see one that isn't me, you have to run and hide. Do you understand?" He asked, his sunken, maddening eyes looking to his forehead while he awaited a response. The boy had already stopped paying attention and resumed humming and kicking his legs. "Wha happen do da weaves...?" he asked. Thats right, the boy would have been too young to remember his last cold cycle. "When the seasons change and the cold sets in, the trees shed their leaves. They always regrow in the rebirth cycle, however, right after the dark of Cylus." He explained to his child, who spoke "Dey gonna be cowd widou weaves!" in return. Fridgar couldn't help but roll his eyes. "I know." He spoke. "Silly trees."

He only realized he'd been distracted from his own lesson when his son mentioned how small the trees looked from up here. "My boy, what must you do when you see a lurker?" He asked, testing his son's attention span. "Lurker?" He asked with a tilt of his head. "Yes, what I am right now." Fridgar explained again, keeping his patience. "Umm... Piggy back?" he asked with an air of uncertainty. Fridgar all but sighed. "No, little cub." Fridgar looked upward at his boy again. "Run and hide, call for me if it's safe." He spoke his instructions again. The thought of his offspring being in the line of sight of something so terrible, something so cruel and sadistic which had nearly taken his own life once, it caused the becomer great distress, but none that showed. "Oke." His boy spoke his compliance, though Fridgar feared he hadn't taken the teaching to heart.

"What must you do? Tell me." He spoke again. "Wun and hide" The boy replied, coaxing a half smile from the lurker. "And?" He added. "Umm... Aw, caw faw hewp!" bellator added, making the lurker grin. His teaching had paid off, Bellator knew what to do. "Yes, well done!" he cheered inwardly. He couldn't move his head too much, else Bellator might fall. Then, a cruel thought crossed his mind. In his welling pride, he found himself eager to tell Alistair of his victory... Only to remember that his Kindal was dead and gone. A deep breath filled his lungs through his flared nostrils, then filled the atmosphere with his own sadness after a deep sigh.

Finally, his destination was in sight. On the ground ahead of him, beneath the canopy of withered winter trees, lay the remains of two lurkers, two piles of old, yellowed bones, complete with pieces of black-violet Terrendyte gear. "Going down." he warned his son before kneeling past the canopy. While he knelt, he collected the two swords by ripping them from the forest floor, which had started to grow in an effort to reclaim the weapons, and lifted the helmet off one of the fallen lurker's skulls. All three pieces had seen better days, but they were terrendyte and the end of the trial. Then, something nagged at the back of his mind. Bellator. He was quiet... And missing. No longer could the lurker feel his son on his head. "BELLATOR!" the lurker roared in full fury, stirring the totem's natural sadistic desire for suffering.

"...Bear!" his son's voice sounded from nearby. Fridgar immediately turned with a sharp snap of his eyes. There, hanging from a tree branch by the scruff of his shirt, was Bellator. He must have gotten snagged as he dipped beneath the canopy. With a sigh of relief, the lurker donned the helmet, then held his hand out for the boy to stand on. Once he was unhooked, Fridgar looked the boy over for any scratches or wounds. Once he was satisfied with the boy's safety, he held him a little closer to his chest and sighed deeply. "You'll be the death of me, little cub." He spoke as he stood, then began to walk, dragging his swords behind him as he went. "...S-sowwy, bear..." Bellator spoke with a sniffle. "It's not your fault, little cub. We need to find you better suited clothes."

After some time, they finally broke through the tree line into the plains. Bellator had been quiet for some time, but Fridgar could still feel him in his palm. Curious, he looked down and lifted his hand a little, beholding the boy, asleep in the groove of his hand. Fridgar sighed a little, then echoed the voice of his Lotharro totem before speaking softly. "I'm sorry if I scared you, little cub. Sleep well." Then walked out deeper into the fields as the sun began to set.
Last edited by Varthakh on Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 1345
Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure.
-- Bertrand Russell
Alistair
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Wanderer
Renown: 1000
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Re: [Eastern Gauthrel] Lurking around

Fridgar

Knowledges
Teaching: Children get distracted easy
Teaching: Repeat the lesson until it sticks
Strength: Lifting heavy, giant terrendyte swords
Strength: Equipping a heavy, giant terrendyte helmet
Strength: Carrying a bunch of giant terrendyte gear across the plains of Gauthrel

Loot: Two giant standard quality terrendyte swords and a giant standard quality terrendyte helmet.
Injuries: N/A
Renown: N/A

Points 10

Comments: That was so cute! Fridgar is such a kind daddy to our son. Even though he's taking him out into the Gauthrien wilds like an offering to a dark, monstrous God. Please don't get our son killed. Thanks!

Also, the Gauthrien trees are like 60 feet, you scrub. Remember that. :x

Code: Select all

[center][img]/gallery/image.php?album_id=2&image_id=13883[/img][/center]
word count: 131
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Western Heights”