Creepy Looks

A city thrust in a land of magical corruption, where survival isn't taken for granted, Yaralon is a jewel on Eastern Idalos. It is world renown for its mercenary companies, for their spiritual culture that appears a bit backwards and counter intuitive to more "civilized" types. Yaralon is where the strong go to discover that they are anything but, and mercenaries learn that only Yari mercs are true mercs.

Moderators: Aegis, Tempest

Aetu
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Secrets
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Creepy Looks

Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:59 pm

Vhalar 10, 718

Previously: On the way back to Yaralon, Aetu came across three bandits and a merchant with a broken wagon. She stuck to the shadows and camped out nearby. Her plan was to observe from afar and to help the merchant if the opportunity arose.

Aetu woke up a lot later than she should have. She had fallen asleep behind a particularly large tree just out of view from a small clearing. It took a few minutes of concentration to remember where she was and why she was laying on a pile of leaves. When she made the connection, she popped her head out from behind the tree and let felt her stomach squirm. The clearing was now empty save for a single broken wooden wheel that was laying beside the remains of a camp fire.

“Well shit, looks like I overslept. I’m surprised I didn’t wake up when they set out. Moving that wagon couldn’t be that quiet.” Her personal disappointments aside she had a job to do. She had slept on the decision of whether or not to help the old man and she’d decided to help him after all. They were headed to Yaralon too so it would almost be a waste not to tag along. The only problem was that there were no wagon tracks leading back to the worn trail.

“Why in the world did they go this way,” she’d ask herself as she looked at the wagon tracks and see that they’d gone in a different direction. “Maybe they’re trying to avoid other foot traffic. This is going to be a pain in the ass if I get lost.” She rummaged through her clothes and pulled out the remains of the food she had. She scarfed half of it down her throat and stuffed the rest of it back into her clothes. She hoped it’d last the rest of the trip to spare herself having to hunt.

Much of the morning was spent jogging and following the only set of wagon tracks that she could see. Due to the size of the wagon it only took about an hour for Aetu to catch up. “Now all I have to do is stay hidden and follow them until they make camp again. Then maybe I can try rescuing the old man.” The thought hadn’t even finished in her head when she stepped on a dry twig and it made an incredibly loud snapping sound. All the men stopped in their tracks and it was all Aetu could do to dive out of sight.

“Oi, I definitely saw something!” cried one bandit.

“It’s probably just an animal. It’d have to be pretty dumb to attack us,” comforted another.

“No need to worry, literally nobody takes this path,” concluded the third.

The men continued their march alongside the slow wagon. Meanwhile Aetu was breathing hard and wondering how she was supposed to watch the ground and watch the men at the same time. “Okay from now on, I’ll feel out the ground with my foot before taking a step.” Trying to stay unnoticed when people were paying attention was turning out to be a lot harder than just sleeping behind a tree.

Aetu did a great job of staying hidden for the next couple of hours, always managing to slip into some shrubbery if the men looked over their shoulder. Things had been going damn near perfectly, until a loud growl came from the savanna. A couple small four-legged beasts jumped out of nowhere and attacked the bandits and ended up biting one of their arms pretty badly before being killed. Aetu was so surprised that she just stood and watched the event unfold. Then, at the very last moment, one of the men turned around and looked right at her.

“Oi, there’s a woman, look!”

Aetu dove into the foliage and stayed low. Her cover was blown and to be quite honest she wasn’t sure if she wanted to get into a direct confrontation with three bandits that had killed those beasts so easily.

“A woman? Why are you looking over there instead of helping wrap my arm up you idiot!”

“I swear, there’s a woman out there. She slipped into the trees as soon as I saw ‘er.”

“Are you really scared of a woman? She’s probably just lost and following our trail to make it back to town. Oi lass, if you can hear me, ye don’t have to hide. You can join us and make the next few days pass by quickly!”

Aetu didn’t respond, but she did think about what Audrae would probably do in this situation and she got a twisted idea. She stepped out of the trees and faced the men and put on a blank expression. They stared at each other for several minutes before the men turned around and continued on their way. “That’s right unsettling that is. One of you hop onto the wagon and keep an eye on her. If she gets too close let’s nab her too.” These words were said too quietly for Aetu to overhear, but she figured they were being careful now since someone was looking out for her.

The rest of the day was rather uneventful. Aetu would occasionally slip off of the trail and pop out suddenly again just to see the fear on the lookout’s face grow every time. She made sure to keep her distance though, far enough to where it’d be a hassle to go after her. They had to keep an eye on their wagon prize as well as make sure the old man didn’t run away. They simply didn’t have the resources to be bandits and also deal with some crazy looney in the woods.

When the sun started to set Aetu found that there were enough shadows to hide in without being seen. The bandits never stopped looking, but it was much too difficult to spot their follower with the dim light. That night, the bandits kept a rotating watch to lookout for Aetu but she’d stay hidden for the most part. She’d spare them the midnight visits in order to get some sleep herself. “Now that they’re keeping watch they’ll surely be tired tomorrow. If I’m going to make a move, it’ll have to be tomorrow. I’ve got to admit, getting caught has helped me a lot more than staying hidden.”

word count: 1117
Korva
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Fisherman/Woodworker
Renown: +65
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Partner
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 1

Contribution

Re: Creepy Looks

Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:35 pm

Rewards!

Name: Aetu

Knowledge:

Tactics: Forcing your enemy to keep watch and tire out
Intimidation: A creepy blank stare
Intimidation: Creepily stepping into view
Hunting: Following wagon wheel tracks
Stealth: Diving out of sight

Loot: NA
Injuries: NA
Renown: NA
Magic XP: NA

- - -
Comments:

You're quite good at cliffhangers! And I was pretty funny to read Aetu messing with the bandits all day, Aetus self comments are adorable as well. I look forward to seeing the conclusion of the story :)

On a different note: The lore: Stealth: Watch where you step in a forest is a little too similar to the lore: Stealth: Avoid stepping on twigs. If we could potentially change on to detection or "walking silently" or whatever you prefer. When you've figured out what you'd like to do ping me or PM me and I'll edit and add your last lore!

If you feel I've missed anything or if you have questions about your review, please don't hesitate to send me a quick PM or ping me in Discord. Thanks!

**Made by the magnificent Kes
word count: 194
ન'ઊળઇ૯ ૧એ૪ઇ૮ ઔનઌઈઇ પઇ, પબ ઇબઇ૮ ૯રશ૧ મકઇ ૧એબ. --Korva

Return to “Yaralon”