The Run of Friendship (thysbae)

A city thrust in a land of magical corruption, where survival isn't taken for granted, Yaralon is a jewel on Eastern Idalos. It is world renown for its mercenary companies, for their spiritual culture that appears a bit backwards and counter intuitive to more "civilized" types. Yaralon is where the strong go to discover that they are anything but, and mercenaries learn that only Yari mercs are true mercs.

Moderators: Tempest, Aegis

Rabu
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Failed PeaceMaker
Renown: +80
Character Sheet
Secrets
Partner
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

The Run of Friendship (thysbae)

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:21 pm

The ship arriving from Desnind made port just as the sun began to set. Making his way of the boat for the first time in what felt like forever, Rabu was greeted with a completely different world. Hardly any trees to be seen and the ones that were present were alien to the Tunawa. This new place seemed so empty compared to the dense greenery that covered nearly every part of Desnind.

“Were deh people?” Rabu called back to the crew as he finished riding his donkey driven cart of the descending slope.

“Yur it, the closest city is that way” One of the crew men pointed to a far of location that Rabu had to squint to see.

“Good luck little guy,” Another crew man chuckled. “Yur gonna need it!”

The crew man ignored Rabu after that, as they got to work preparing to sail away. The Tunawa’s eyebrows tensed up as the unsettling feeling that he made a dire mistake creeped in. He watched the ship depart feeling his hope go with it. He stood there at the empty docks set up in the middle of nowhere, afraid to go forward but also of being alone in the dark wilderness. It didn’t take long for one fear to overpower the other and for Rabu to get back on his wagon and set a corse for civilization.

Terrifying noises echoed in the distance that inspired Rabu’s tiny heart to pound in his chest and his eyes to dart in each direction. The Tunawa could hardly think straight as his mind conjured up terrifying imagery of what might be prowling in the night. He began to feel a tinge of hope when he heard the sound of horses in the distance. They got louder and Rabu could see men riding them and it brought a smile to his face.
It wasn’t until Rabu witnessed them drawing weapons and aiming their bows at him did he know the dangers he was about to face. Before the mortal born could get away he was surrounded by gruff looking people aiming their weapons directly at him, making it impossible to leave.

“Ya fucking try one bloody thing and yur as good as dead, eh?” Growled a massive beast of a man with a gaping scar that tore into his left eye. Rabu shook his head in compliance. His mind was racing with methods of escape but the only one that could work involved betraying his donkey friend and he could never do that. One of the men walked up to Rabu and thats the last thing the Tunawa could remember before he woke up in a cage made of bones.
Last edited by Rabu on Sat May 25, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 4 times in total. word count: 459
One of Rabu's Mortal Born abilities involves emean creatures called Dooglewogs doing pranks and causing misfortune for the Rabu. I roll a dice every time Rabu uses his other powers and whatever it lands on will happen in the thread he's in.
If a Grader or Mod wishes to add a misfortune as a reward that would be wonderful but please be sure that it's only temporary and isn't too disruptive or disturbing (I'm mostly going with light and silly) look on my character sheet for examples.
Thysbae
Approved Character
Renown: +35
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets

Re: The Run of Friendship (thysbae)

Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:53 pm

Adjusting from the rocking of the boat to solid land took Thysbae a moment, and for whatever reason, that displeased Huyr. The woman had been upset with him for much of their journey. Perhaps it had to do with the fact that he was neither a child nor a mage and she would need to relay this news to the person she had intended to bring him back to. Her sour expression left him cowering as his legs wobbled slightly, steps unsure. The dark haired woman went on to bark orders at the men around her, voice strained with stress.

“Where’s the city?” He’d been told he’d be taken to a city; he was seeing quite a lot of open space. ”You have to ride out to it.” The answer was given to him by a man who seemed slightly sympathetic to his plight. He’d been with them aboard the ship, one of the crew. One of his eyes was closed, shut by a scar that ran over it. His smile was rueful as he continued. ”Yer lady’s taking you on the Run.”

“Run? What’s that?”

”You’ll be seeing it, soon.” The seriousness of his voice was unhelpful in calming him. The man had also seen to deciding that he was done helping him, head down as he returned to his work. The mortal born might have thought he’d heard the man offer up a silent prayer to an immortal. That didn’t bode well.

”Get moving - on the horse.” Her grip on him was tight, steering him towards the horse.

“But I don’t know how to ride a horse.”

”What do you know to do?” Before he could answer, she held up a hand and turned him in another direction, this time to a wagon. ”Just sit in the back here, then, and don’t try anything.” Huyr made her to the front of the wagon, seated beside the driver.

”We’re going to meet up with a few folks and then into the city we go.”

That seemed like a simple enough course of action. Bae nodded, though he realized soon after that she would not be able to see him or care that he agreed. Silent now, he pulled his knees up to his chest and leaned against the side of the wagon.

He wasn’t sure when he had fallen asleep or when they had begun to move, but their abrupt stop was what had woken him. Something was stuck in the wagon beside him, voices speaking though he couldn’t quite make out what was being said. But he could see that there was something in the cage - someone?

“Hello?”
Speech | Thought
word count: 463
Rabu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Partner

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:50 pm

The cage Rabu found himself in was clearly made with smaller tunawa in mind, leaving little room for him to move around. He could hear the sound of a moving carriage and the clopping of horse hooves in the dirt as well as the bumps of rough terrain underfoot. It wasn’t until he heard the muffled sound of his captor that he remembered the dire situation he had found himself in. He looked through the bars of his cage and could clearly see that he had been placed in the back of the carriage and someone else was here. Rabu eyed the figure suspiciously, they didn’t seem like the others but how could he know for sure. The mysterious person looked to Rabu and gave a hesitant greeting. They visibly lacked the aggression and hardened look of the other bad men, rather baby faced and innocent looking in contrast.

“Hello..I Rabu” Rabu whispered back while pointing to his chest.
“You not wid deh bad men… dis truth?” Rabu smiled faintly to the stranger. “Work wid me to be free, yes?”

Rabu didn’t know how they possibly could, he didn’t know who had the key to the metal lock on the door of his cage. Though if there was enough force put on the cage it might break, it was only held together with woven leather string after all. Then there was the matter of escaping a moving cart without bing seen. Rabu wasn’t a very good fighter and his new partner in crime didn’t seem like he was one ether. they might have to wait for the right opportunity, for the cart to stop and for them to be distracted with something.

“Any idea’s in head dat might help? Rabu asked hoping for some inspiration.
Last edited by Rabu on Thu May 23, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 311
One of Rabu's Mortal Born abilities involves emean creatures called Dooglewogs doing pranks and causing misfortune for the Rabu. I roll a dice every time Rabu uses his other powers and whatever it lands on will happen in the thread he's in.
If a Grader or Mod wishes to add a misfortune as a reward that would be wonderful but please be sure that it's only temporary and isn't too disruptive or disturbing (I'm mostly going with light and silly) look on my character sheet for examples.
Thysbae
Approved Character
Renown: +35
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Secrets

Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:29 pm

There was someone in the cage. A someone that was small and frightened, just like him. He wondered for a moment what had been so pressing that this small person had been picked off as Bae had been. Was he a mage? Or suspected to be one? The mortal born blinked, taking in the small frrame in the cage. But he’d gotten a response, which meant that they - this Rabu - wasn’t terribly injured.

“I’m Thysbae; just Bae is fine.” He shook his head at the next question, not entirely certain if he’d heard it right. Rabu’s accent and broken Common was only marginally confusing, but it was amplified by the current situation. “I mean, they did take me, but I-I’m not here because I want to be. I want to go home.” Escape hadn’t seemed like much of an option before. He sniffed, recalling that much of his journey thus far had been over water and is the biggest obstacle was simple: he could not swim. Being stuck in a house for most of his life had robbed him of the chance to learn. And even when he did have that chance, there was a fear that perhaps he’d end up as another of the drowned bodies in the port, an unfortunate that people would shake their heads at before leaving behind. He sniffed again, tears welling up in the corners of his eyes. Escape, even now, was likely not possible.

“I don’t - I don’t know if I can help. I don’t have the key. Or know who has it.” The wagon hit a slight bump, jostling the cage closer. Bae caught it, another spike of fear at the thought that it might fall from the wagon. Rabu might get hurt, and he’d be alone again. He frowned, pushing the cage back further into the wagon and pulling himself up. “We - we could try, but - where are we? I tried asking, but no one gave me an answer. And they said something about a Run. But it didn’t sound good.” Not at all. Foreboding? Was that the word? If it was, that was what the man’s words had felt like. A beat, and then - “I’m scared.”

The voices of the caravan drifted into the wagon, though the words weren’t clear. Something about the night and a place to stay. There was an edge of concern to a few of them, but they were quickly hushed. Bae wondered why he and Rabu hadn’t been involved in this conversation; were they not apart of this? Maybe they would be stuck in the wagon the whole night, too. He sighed, feeling a tear slide down his cheek. “I don’t think we should run yet. They’re taking us somewhere, but I don’t think the way there is safe. We - we could get hurt, or or or die!” He gasped, fingers coiling around the outside of Rabu’s cage, tears falling freely now. “I don’t want to die. My mother still needs me, she might be waiting for me to come back. Who’s going to take care of her if I don’t make it back?”

Somewhere in the back of his mind, perhaps very far back, he didn’t care. Because he knew, most likely, that he’d never be going back to that house. “I don’t want her to die.” And nestled right next to the far back thought, snuggled in close, was a want for her death to be a slow one.
Speech | Thought
word count: 613
Rabu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Secrets
Partner

Sat May 25, 2019 2:16 pm

“I want go to deh home too Bae.” Rabu said softly while make a gentle patting motion in Bae’s direction. “I glad dat I not alone…We have each uh-der.” Rabu forced the corners of his mouth into a smile. He could feel himself losing some tension in his body by simply knowing another person was with him. There was no telling if they would stay together but Rabu didn’t wanna think about that.

“I scared too but we get out of dis I know it.” Rabu pounded a fist into his open palm and wore a face of determination. “Then you see mother and she not die.” He slipped his hand through the bars with an outstretched pinkie. “Pinkie promise.”

“Hrm maybe Yah know how to help..” Rabu squinted his eyes and mumbled to himself. He turned away from Bae and whispered his invisible friend’s name once more.

“Yes..wait why are you in a cage?” Yah blurted out as soon as she materialized next to Rabu. The floating purple rabbit head had all three of her eyes focused on Rabu, she didn’t take much notice of the mortal sitting next to her friend. Most mortals couldn’t see her, having never encountered another mortal born she assumed Bae was also blind to her presence.

Rabu replied in Xantean whispers to Yah, explaining the situation as best he could.

“Oh so a key is what you need I’ll go look see who has it.” Yah replied with a nod before dissipating into a small cloud of glittering dust.

“I asked Yah.” Rabu whispered softly back to Bae. “She see about getting us out of dis.”

A few moments went by with no sign of Yah, despite his confidence in his trusted friend he was getting a bit worried. he breathed a sigh of relief when she finally appeared again in front of him, this time with a swirling puff of green smoke.

“You look flustered Rabu, were you worried about little old me.” She giggled to herself but stopped after seeing the frown form on Rabu’s face. “Sorry I took so long but these hoodlums are so very messy, I’m not sure how they could possibly find anything. Theres a man holding all the keys in some bag, I tried to get it from him but he was looking and…I just couldn’t.” All three of the Emean creatures eyes looked to the side and then a wide grin crept onto her face. “ Just playing with ya.” Another puff of green smoke erupted next to her and a disembodied hand made of twigs appeared holding a key. “I’ll have you unlocked in the shake of a octopus tentacle.”

Yah placed the key into the lock but before twisting it she eyed Bae. “Why is this mortal starring at me…”

--------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile all the wagons had come to a complete stop and were setting up camp for the night. The man thankfully didn’t think to take anything from Rabu’s Wagon but the man with the scar set up his tent near it. The Wagon Bae and Rabu were in was a few feet away with a few man arguing loudly over who would take first watch.
word count: 555

Return to “Yaralon”