• Closed • Secondhand News

"No one has seen King Cassander since he got married to that witch, Freya..."

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Sabine
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Investigator/Priestess
Renown: 116
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Secondhand News

Secondhand News

Timestamp: 39th of Ashan, 716

“What the hell do you mean, no one has seen the king?”

Sabine leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms with an air of skepticism. It had been a slow couple of news days, so she had come to The Blacksmith Arms hoping for something she could spin into Gazette fodder.

Although she was a frequent patron of the tavern, it was not usually during the daylight hours and so she had little familiarity with their daytime bar staff. Luckily, when she had asked the blonde-haired tavern maid for a bit of gossip, she wasn’t disappointed. That said, this rumour bordered on absurd and Sabine wanted to keep her job thankyouverymuch.

“He’s the king,” Sabine continued, and pushed her empty mug towards the tavern maid. “I’m sure someone has seen him. That’s ridiculous.” A king didn’t just disappear. Still, her curiousity was piqued, and she wondered if anyone else at the Gazette had heard about this. Rynmere’s populace was fixated on royal intrigue, and any hint of new gossip was sure to sell a lot of papers - even if it turned out to be only rumour in the end.

The tavern maid shrugged. “Just what I heard.” She lowered her voice as if she were telling a horror story, and Sabine had to lean over her fresh mug of beer to hear her. “Ever since he got married to that witch, well…” She made a poof gesture with her hands and giggled nervously.

“So, what. You’re telling me the Queen made him disappear?” Sabine was unimpressed. It would be a huge story if it were even remotely true, but thus far it held together as well as a boat made of feathers and sounded exactly like a tale told by drunks and doomsayers.

“I’m just sayin’. You asked what I’d heard, doll. If you don’t like it, don’t ask.”

“Wait!” Sabine grabbed the tavern maid’s right wrist as the woman turned to leave.

“No touching!” the woman scolded. Sabine dropped her wrist like a hot log, and was met with a scathing glare in response. “Do I look like a piece of meat to you? Huh?”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry. What’s your name – Jennine? Gini?”

“It’s Gina.”

“Look, Gina. I’m sorry. Can you tell me what else you heard? What more are people saying about this?”

“Maybe I don’t know anything else.” The tavern maid crossed her arms and stared pointedly at Sabine’s coin purse.

“Ugh, fine.” Sabine rolled her eyes and dropped all pretense of sweet talk. “Will a gold nel do the trick?” She reached into her purse and placed a gold coin on the table, laying a hand on top until the pair came to an agreement.

Gina sniffed, and turned as if to walk away. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Gina! You’re killing me here. What about one gold and five silver?”

The tavern maid hesitated, and looked back at Sabine without responding.

“Two gold nels? This is actual robbery, Gina, you know that?” Sabine placed another gold nel on the worn table top and removed her hand. This better be a damn good lead.

Gina pocketed the gold coins and leaned towards Sabine, speaking just loud enough to be heard over the tavern’s din. “I heard the Lord Commander told one of his Captains that the King was away on business or something.”

“Well, then clearly someone must have seen him,” Sabine muttered, and then reconsidered the tavern maid’s words. “Wait. What kind of business? Do you know?”

Gina shook her head.

Sabine reached back into her coin purse. “Seriously? Another nel?”

“Much as I enjoy taking your money, doll, I really don’t know.” Gina raised an eyebrow and planted a hand firmly on her hip. “First you think I’m a piece of meat, and now you think I’m one of the king’s advisors. How the hell should I know his business?”

“Okay, okay.” Touchy. Sabine drummed her fingers on the table, and took a long swig of her beer. The way she saw it, she had two options: hunt down the Lord Commander and pose the question to him directly (a challenge in itself, given the man’s position of power), or figure out exactly who he’d spoken to.

“What about the Captain?” Sabine asked. “Any idea who the Lord Commander said all this to?”

[OOC Note: -2 gn, 6 sn subtracted from ledger for the two mugs of beer and the tavern maid’s bribe.]
Last edited by Sabine on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:54 pm, edited 4 times in total. word count: 803
Tristan Venora
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Mad Scientist Socialite
Renown: 844
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Secondhand News

Tristan Venora liked alcohol, he liked gossip, and he liked the company of people of a very questionable reputation. All three (as well as the occasional companion for the night) could easily be found in the Blacksmith Arms that was despite its unfortunate name (where was the blacksmith?) a very nice tavern. Since he had moved to Andaris to attend university he had become one of the regulars. He usually visited in the evening after he was done with his work for the day (despite his reputation he was a very responsible young man), but that day he felt like having a drink much earlier than that.

“Hey, Rufus!” he called out to the proprietor as he stepped through the door, pausing in the doorway momentarily as he did so, as if he was just waiting to be noticed by as many people as possible. He loved the old Biqaj dearly, even though he had not been able to verify the rumors that the man had been a notorious smuggler in his youth so far. “And Gina, isn’t it?.” He looked at the tavern maid who seemed to be having some sort of argument with one of the patrons. “Don’t be so sensitive. I don’t think the lady’s a lesbian anyway.”

He moved closer to the two women so that he could listen to what they were talking about a bit better. As he heard them mention the King – whom he might or might not have met at one point – the noble raised an eyebrow before he walked over to the bar to order a drink, still listening with one ear. He loved gossip, but it was only half as interesting without a drink. Once he had gotten what he wanted, he returned to what he currently considered the most interesting event in the Blacksmith Arms, grinning slightly mischievously as he did so.

“She’s wrong, you know?” Tristan informed Sabine as he slid into the chair next to her. “I don’t know why you listen to a tavern maid. Do you honestly believe that she has any real information on the royal family? I on the other hand know exactly what the King’s business is. Nobles always call it business when they are tired of their wives and seek their pleasures elsewhere. I heard that King Cassander really fancies a certain Krom at the moment, and I don’t mean one of the women.”

He paused and took a sip from his glass of wine, Venora Rose of course since he was loyal to his House before he continued, “I don’t know what the Lord Commander said to that though, but I don’t think he really minds. That particular Krom is quite an attractive man.” He shrugged his shoulders and flashed Sabine a radiant smile before he drank some more wine. The woman seemed a little naïve to him. Honestly, getting information on the royal family from a tavern maid who probably wouldn’t recognize the king if he stood directly in front of her? She should have come to him first!

OOC: - 8sn for a glass of Venora Rose.
word count: 537
Andráska Venora
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Political Figurehead
Renown: 247
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 6

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Secondhand News

Andráska didn't come to the Blacksmith's arms to drink. In fact, he was more interested in the locals. Their mannerisms were absolutely charming, with their scowls and obnoxious, drunken laughter. He could perch himself on a chair, chat with Gina, and watch as two grown men bickered about the outcome of rolled dice. He heard new and inventive curses, saw the brazen behavior these people relished in. It was all so fun.

Would a fine dining meal be nice around now? Absolutely, but with the entertainment... How could you ask for more? Little András was admiring one of the serving girls and how she handled a particularly handsy customer when lo and behold... A familiar voice wanted to chime in. While lounging in a chair across the room with an empty glass in his hands, the Venoran spotted his cousin introducing himself to a woman.

A smile split across his face, and he rose from his chair, walking closer. Tristan's voice was clear as day, and as arrogant as ever, spilling some secret about the King and a Krom, "You are so full of shit," András laughed, materializing beside his cousin as if he'd been a part of the conversation all along. Not embarrassed at interrupting in the slightest, the brunette rolled his eyes, "Who told you that?" He turned to Sabine, motioning to Tristan, "Nobles lie to each other more than anyone else, this one... well, he lies the most. Don't believe a word he says,"

Andráska's green eyes briefly took in the woman's appearance, smiling warmly. "What do you think? Do you think the queen did it?" He lowered his voice, pretending to whisper conspiratorially, "Did something to the king, I mean." He winked, pulling back with a grin and raising his glass to flash to Gina and turned his cousin, smiling impishly.

What a good night to be at the right place at the right time.
word count: 330
Sabine
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Secondhand News

“Honey, I wouldn’t know who the Lord Commander said that to if I saw them with my own two eyes.”

Sabine watched as Gina moved on to the next patron before taking a sullen sip of beer. Fantastic. She had nothing to go on, other than the hearsay of a daytime tavern maid. Sabine was less than convinced of any foul play in the King’s supposed disappearance, but she was admittedly curious about the so-called business that took him out of Rynmere’s capital city. Nothing had been mentioned in the Gazette about the King going away, and they were usually on top of all high-profile information.

That was a story she wanted to learn more about.

But before she could plot her next move, the blue-eyed man who had dared presume her sexuality slid into the chair next to her and began a monologue about his own knowledge of the King’s adulterous pastimes.

Sabine’s shoulders stiffened and she felt her expression begin to close in on itself. It wasn’t that she was offended by the man’s words – if the King’s “business” was getting into bed with a male member of the Krome family, then that only made her job easier. No, she was put off by the man’s attitude: self-important, inconsiderate, and over-confident.

He almost reminded her of a-

“…noble?”

She should have guessed.

Sabine eyed the tall, dark-haired newcomer with suspicion. If the first man was a noble and the second spoke to him as flippantly and familiarly as he had, then that could only mean the worst: she had somehow managed to surround herself with two members of Rynmere's arrogant elite.

And in the Blacksmith Arms, of all places.

Was nothing sacred to these people?

"No, please, have a seat. Don't be shy." She gestured sarcastically at the empty chair nearest the second nobleman and smiled tightly at the pair.

“Did something about the way I was ignoring everyone but the barmaid give you the impression that I wanted company, ‘my lords’?” Sabine leaned back in her chair and crossed her arms against her chest. “Since you asked so nicely, here’s what I think: I think I have an actual job to do, and if you’re going to tell me lies to entertain yourselves then you can find someone else to accost.”
word count: 411
Sabine
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Secondhand News

Sabine looked back and forth between the two men and shoved her chair back without waiting for an answer. “You know what? Never mind. I’ll go.” She stood and drained the rest of her mug before slamming the glass on the table and stalking out of the tavern.

Fucking nobles.

Always interfering in the lives of commoners for no goddamned reason.

She shoved her braids behind her shoulder and adjusted her cloak. It was clear she wasn’t going to get another ounce of information out of Gina, and she didn’t have the patience to deal with the Iron Hand's tedium. So she would do whatever any good journalist would do in her situation: work with what she had, and try very hard not to make shit up.

Next stop: the Rynmere Gazette.
- - -
Where is the King?

By Sabine Qe’azour
39th of Ashan, 716

“Where is the King?”

This is the question of Andaris’ lips as the city looks for its leader. Word has it that the King has not been seen since his marriage. Has he been spending time with his lady love, Queen Freya? Is he taking some much needed time off? Or is there another reason for his disappearance?

A credible source told this reporter that the King is “away on business”. What kind of business? That, dear reader, is anyone’s guess, but one thing is for certain: we will be sharing it with you when he returns.
Sabine slapped the article, if one could be so bold as to call it that, on Abby’s desk. It was far from being her best work - one might even say it was closer to her worst - but it was an article that shared information, however tenuous the origin. She wasn’t particularly proud of calling Gina a “credible source,” but Gina was the one who had said that the information had come from the Lord Commander - and he was a credible source. Credibility didn’t just disappear when a third party shared the information, right?

At least, that would be her argument when Abby asked.

A few quick steps took her out of her manager’s office and over to Fern’s desk. Here, she dropped a second article. This one was shorter - more of a rumour than an article, and perfect for the Gazette’s gossip column.

Two nobles were seen carousing at the Blacksmith Arms in Lowtown. Both were tall, male, and sported a head of brown hair. They can be spotted by their bright blue and green eyes, respectively. Keep an eye out next time you’re there - they promised to buy the whole tavern a drink.
Sabine grinned.

She felt better already.
word count: 477
Maltruism
General Staff
Race: Prophet
Profession: "Mastermind"
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Secondhand News

Come and get your Loot!

(There's plenty more where that came from)

SABINE:
Rewards:

• Story: +3
  • Collaboration: +5
  • Structure: +5

These points can NOT be used for magic.

Knowledges:

• Andraska & Tristan Venora: Noble Cousins
  • Intimidation: Grabbing a Source of Info by the Arm
  • Negotiation: Paying for Information
  • NPC: Gina: Blacksmith Arms Serving Maid
  • PC: Tristan Venora
  • PC: Andraska Venora
  • Politics: Publishing What Little You Have
  • Research: Bribe-Free Info is Often Unreliable
  • Research: Info from Nobles is Usually Self-Serving
  • Research: Common Folk Often Know a Few Leads
  • Socializing: "Slumming" with Nobles at Common Tavern
  • Sociology: Nobles Can Speak Freely About Common Folk
  • Story Telling: Outlandish Rumors About the Royal Couple
  • Story Telling: Relaying an Unconfirmed Offer of Free Drinks
  • Tristan: Says The King is Lying With a Krome

Loot, Loss, injuries, Fame, Devotion:

Just the 2gn, 6sn spent.

Comments:

I only gave you 3 Story because, while you DID make the effort to finish the thread, and therefore got no penalty on Structure or Collaboration; it does appear to have been you that took the first major "vacation" from this thread.
The gap between your 2nd and 3rd post could be attributed to seeing if your partners were going to come back around for more. Sadly, they did not.
Admittedly, I am not up on Rynmere plot developments, or their interactions with other PCs, so if there was some outside event that caused this to stall, let me know, because chances are, I don't know anything about it.
PM me with any comments or concerns :)

TRISTAN:
Rewards:

• Collaboration: +1 (single post)
  • Structure: +2

Knowledges:

• NPC: Gina: Serving Maid at Blacksmith Arms
  • NPC: Rufus: Proprietor of The Blacksmith Arms
  • Politics: Spreading Personal Rumors About the King
  • Rufus: May Have Been a Smuggler
  • Socializing: Inviting Yourself into Another's Conversation
  • Sociology: Eavesdropping
  • Sociology: Everything's Better With a Drink
  • Sociology: Insulting Someone Through Someone Else
  • Sociology: "Slumming" in a Commoner Tavern

Loot, Loss, Injuries, Fame, Devotion:

Just the 8sn spent on wine.

Comments:

Sorry this didn't go anywhere.
I pretty much gave you all I could for a single post in a Collaborative thread.
I will, however, indulge my Nit-pick gene and mention that "lesbian" is an entirely Earth-mythology-based term.
I'm not aware of an Island of Lesbos on Idalos. ;)

ANDRASKA:
Rewards:

• Collaboration: +1 (single post)
  • Structure: +2

Knowledges:

• Research: There is Great Variety in Every Class
  • Socializing: Inviting Yourself into Another's Conversation
  • Sociology: Eavesdropping
  • Sociology: Watching the Common Folk for Amusement
  • Story Telling: Calling Out Someone Else' Tale

Loot, Loss, Injuries, Fame, Devotion:

None of the above.

Comments:

That's about all I can do for a single post in a Collaborative thread.
word count: 488
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”