• Closed • An Itch For Your Scratch [Peake]

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Kala
Approved Character
Race: Naerikk
Profession: Apothecary
Renown: 30
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

An Itch For Your Scratch [Peake]

6th of Ashan, 716
Kala was not a morning person. True, she had grown accustomed to rising early to prepare the Apothecary office, but her familiarity with the ungodly hours of the morning did little to endear her to them. The Apothecary clinic was located on one of the lower levels of the Infirmary, and shared the floor with the herbalists offices and the other less invasive clinics. It was a quiet day, and so Kala was alone in the clinic, making her way through various orders.

She was currently setting up a series of simple straining devices. Five large glass jars, roughly the size of her head, with fine, delicately woven bags fitted very carefully over the mouth of the jars. Kala tightened the strings to ensure that the bags would not slip and fall into the bottom of the jar, before reaching the the range of fresh and dried herbs she had set out ready to use. There was a large pot boiling over the clinics fireplace, and Kala kept an eye on it as she carefully scooped finely cut slivers of fresh ginger and cinnamon bark into the first bag. To the second she added three large handfuls of tea leaves, and a few soggy apples that had been preserved in vinegar. To the third and fourth jars she added an array of herbs and plants, the mix smelling strongly of citrus and mint.

Kala turned from the jars as the large bot began to boil, and she made her way over to the fire place, kicking ash and dirt on the flames to douse them. Pulling on a thick, protective leather glove that reached to the elbow of her slender arm, Kala seized a metal jug from it hook next to the fireplace. Very carefully, she maneuvered her hand into the large pot, collecting the still bubbling water into the jug. Once it was full, Kala returned to the jars, and with one hand holding the bags in place, she poured the hot water inside. The water filtered through the herbs, straining through and pulling the natural oils and aromas from the plants. Once the jar was full and her jug empty, Kala allowed her concoction to steep, returning to the fireplace to replicate the procedure on the remaining three jars.

As she waited for them to steep, Kala returned to her work desk and set about slicing a bag of lemons, her knife sliding through them quickly and easily. Gathering them into her hands, she tossed them into the now empty pot over the fire, following them with a few spoonfuls of turmeric infused honey. Making her way back to her jars, Kala lugged them over to the fireplace, tipping the now golden liquids into the pot, tossing the tied bags with their contents in after them.

Crouching, Kala used the iron prode to turn the still smoldering embers under the pot, blowing at them gently in the hopes that they would light themselves once again. She worked with her head down and her back to the door, entirely focused on the task at hand, cursing at the fires refusal to light.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Kala on Tue May 03, 2016 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 540
"I'm young and I love to be young
I'm free and I love to be free
To live my life the way I want
To say and do whatever I please"

3/3
Peake
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: A**hole
Renown: -60
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

*Beard not to scale.
Peake couldn’t sleep that night. Those days were rare, days in which the troubles in his life outweighed his capacity to bury them within himself. Turning and turning in bed, watching through the window at the canal waters flowing, drinking this and that or masturbating didn’t help him close his eyes, and so for once he truly believed he needed help. It had affected him a lot, in a way, what transpired the previous day. The investigation he held as something irrelevant had scared him, stressed him out to such point that he felt violently shattering every break that passed. His right leg wouldn’t stop twitching either, dancing by itself with such ferocity that Peake truly believed it was going to just pop out of his body and run away on its own. Never before had he been scarred in such a degree, yet not for that he gave up. If only his sleep was given back to him, he’d find a way to overcome the issue and eventually heal himself up. It was early in the morning when he decided to do something about it, having informed his superiors that he wasn’t fit for duty on this day.

Now, mounted on his steed, he marched through the streets with irritated eyes, which still ached despite the gentle lights of the morning. Lacking sleep locked him in a bubble from which he saw a surreal world raising and blooming around him, the tired brain refusing to accept anything that wasn’t sleep. Eyelids fall like curtains every now and then, only to open afterwards and once again revealing something that wasn’t an impossible dream or just a void that sucked up a bunch of breaks from one’s life. Perhaps what made it worse is that, no matter how tired his body and mind felt, no matter how much he wished to lay in bed and just rest, he couldn’t. This barrier called stress, fear, or whatever it was stood between him and that precious rest he craved. There was nothing to be done, however, and so professional help was something he couldn’t just ignore. The healers employed by the Iron Hand would just nod and take notes, then inform his superior about a possible mental weakness, and they’d plunge his career into the ground. For such reason, Peake was not fond of healers.

Reaching the infirmary, a huge stone building connected with a stone bridge, built to sustain siege while protecting the wounded and diseased that dwelled inside, Peake dismounted his steed and drug it forward. Tying the reign to a post, he slapped the horse’s ass before heading inside. Immediately, he was met with some sort of receptionist, the smile in her face being so wide and cheerful it was nothing but obnoxious to Peake’s eyes. “Hello, sir! Are you in need of medical assistance?” Her voice was as jolly as her smile, making Peake feel wary and cautious. Joy and kidness was nothing but a lie in his mind. “Looking for something to help me sleep. And before you ask, yes, I am a resident.” The female was a bit taken aback, yet clearly identifying the refined posture of the man that basically screamed nobility, despite his harsh tone screaming prick. Nodding, she pointed towards one of the hallways and, with yet another smile, she spoke again. “If you head into the Apothecary Office, my Lord, you’ll find the relief you seek for. For anything else, I’ll be here, so don’t doubt to come around!”

After rudely waving off the annoying girl, Peake followed her directions, moving through the hallways like a spirit moving through the world beyond, somewhat confused as to where he actually was in the lapse of reason caused by the insomnia. Be it a dream or reality, Peake’s mind told him he was in neither, suspended somewhere in the middle of those two worlds. Whatever his mind told him, eventually he found himself before the office’s door, the smell of herbal solutions and the sensation of exfoliating heat had a soothing effect on him. Knocking on the door before entering, his irritated eyes looked around the many shelves, bottled solutions and tonics of diverse origins that compose the office itself. Frown in his face, as usual, Peake caught the image of the female that roamed within, murmuring a shy ‘Hello’ that somewhat communicated his distrust of healers of any sort.

The female, obviously the main target of Peake’s eyes, was slim and sort of looked fragile for a man as broad as he was. He could imagine her as a vase that could be easily shattered if she was to fall in the wrong hands, yet such depiction was surely product of his somewhat misogynistic mindset. Despite her apparent fragility, the beautiful details, angles and shapes composed an attractive face, which combined her slim and average frame truly composed a genetically blessed individual. Peake would definitely bed her if he had the chance – or the rest, in this case. Standing around a bit awkwardly with his superior height, at last he spoke, the words coming a bit groggy and clumsy. “I need you to put me to sleep, woman.” Not quite aware of his words, he elaborated nonetheless. “Couldn’t sleep last night. I’m stressed and I don’t want to be. Give me some herbs, teas or that kind of thing you do…”

Neglecting any sort of manners due to his obviously superior social status, Peake remained in the spot for a moment before proceeding at last towards the female’s position. Maybe his subconscious was craving for a slap in his bearded face to help him stay away, but that would remain a mystery for both male and female.
Thanks to Lazuli for this amazing template!
word count: 994
Kala
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

After a long moment of prodding and poking the sparking embers of the fireplace, the flames blazed back to life, and Kala blew a few encouraging breaths of them to be sure they would not flicker back out. Straightening, gave the pot a good stir, before a murmured greeting caused her to start and turn. The man was tall and broad of shoulders, and though he seemed rather worse for wear, Kala could hardly deny he was attractive. Her frame straightened slightly as she turned to face him with a smile.

"Good morning, how may I help you?" She greeted in return, listening carefully as the man explained what he needed. She could see the lack of sleep clearly on his features, as well as the way he moved and held himself. "I can make something to help," She assured. "It will take me a few moments to prepare it, but the wait shouldn't be long." Kala finished, her mind going over the ingredients she would need to retrieve. She was about to offer the man a seat when he stepped forward, closer than she was comfortable with. Kala crossed her arms over her chest defensively, and dragged her gaze slowly from the man's feet to his face, making it known that she wasn't to impressed by the man, regardless of the fact that she'd had to lean her head back to look him in the eye. "Sit." She directed firmly, pointing to a chair set out of the way. "Or else you'll be spending another night bemoaning your woe's." And with that she turned, flicking her braid over her shoulder as she moved back to her work bench, pushing the two remaining jars out of the way.

The cure the man had requested was simple enough to make, a tea made of a combination of herbs and roots, most of which were kept dried and on hand in the apothecary. Kala set about digging through cupboards, pulling out bunches and sprigs, leaving them in a pile on the bench. The only items they didn't keep dried was the root used, and Kala pulled out a board and a knife, setting about slicing the root as finely as was possible. The task done, Kala glanced back at her patient of sorts, her eyes flickering over him quickly as she ensured he wasn't making too much trouble. "I'm Kala by the way." She introduced, unlacing her first pile of herbs to set out the portions needed to make the tea.
Last edited by Kala on Tue May 03, 2016 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total. word count: 436

3/3
Peake
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Like a puppy, Peake blinked, brows raising as he was basically forced to retreat. He didn’t even know as to why he had approached her, surely a dumb action carried out by his sleep-deprived being. Turning around without a word, he headed towards his designated seat – which he did not took. He had been sitting for a while now, be it in his steed’s saddle, at home… Basically, his entire night had been spend sitting in bed and trying to calm himself down. What had happened the previous day had really affected him, so much that he felt a need for a dose of reality shoved within his mind. Instead of sitting, he walked around the room, a sojourn from here to there, watching the many herbs, pestles and mortars, the jars. That restless slumber was in full effect, everything seeming rather bland, all the same, uninteresting to his eyes that really craved no other sight than those of his eyelids. Soon he lost himself back in his thoughts, drifting away to that realm of fantasy and meditation that really got him nowhere. It was her voice, and her name, what snapped him out of it. Thankfully.

“Right.” He replied, shaking his head to clear his thoughts. His bored tone came forth a bit after. “I’m... ugh… Lord Peake Maxos Andaris, Steward of the Moseke Knights of the Iron Hand, Heir to the Barony blah, blah, blah… Peake is enough. Nice to meet you, and all that…” He took a hold of some jar full of some kind of dust, shaking it as if it held a surprise. Unfortunately, it didn’t. “Herbs are so weird… They remind me of trees.” His words, although originally destined towards himself, escaped throughout his mouth, as if shared with Kala. “I hate trees. I’m scared of trees. I understand how a building is built, how every stone is placed on top of each other to create a house, a wall, a castle. Trees, however, make no sense. Have you seen their roots? How they cling onto the earth as if afraid to be torn out? Ugh. Plants are similar, but they are easier to remove.” Peake moved on from the jar, and instead limited himself to inspect some sort of liquid in another jar – inspecting meaning lean forward and stare at it as if something was going to happen. It didn’t.

“Then again, most of what we eat is herbs, or at least what our meals eat. A cow feeds from grass, then we eat the cow. Unless it’s a mad cow, one that eats other cows, and then we eat that killed cow. Would that count as eating a double steak?” Word by word, he was moving onto the more philosophical questions in his mind, the ones that needed an answer from the moment he was born. If he got an answer, he’d enlighten humanity itself by solving the most important riddles ever posed to mortals. “That cow must be expensive, though, because if that cow that eats other cows is the base of all cows, then the cow that is eaten by another cow also ate other cows. It’s like the King’s Champion could only earn his title by defeating other Kings’ Champions, which is somewhat contradictory. There’s supposed to be only one Champion, not many. Would that apply to the cow itself?”

Peake turned around and set his gaze on the female’s work, moving towards one of the cupboards in which he could lean on and observe her work, yet standing at a distance to not be called out again. “Hey! Tell you what, Kala. How about you add in something extra to that thing you’re doing?” Peake’s mind had a talent in finding trouble, and now he had found a solution that would allow him to get into far much more trouble. “How about you add in something that makes me see things that are not there? Most drugs are made from herbs, I imagine. Can you do something like that? I don’t have to work today, and I’ve got the coin… Plus, you’d have my gratitude and all.” Peake nodded, eyes closed, resting them as they stung pretty badly by now. The warmth and the essence of the apothecary office was truly soothing over him. “If you do enough, we can share it. It’s like that saying: If you’re going to do hallucinogens… ugh… always have an herbalist named Kala around because she’s, like… really pretty and really professional, and… ugh… really pretty.” His improvisation was somewhat compromised, but Peake believed it would be enough.

“The saying goes like that, I swear. I mean, it doesn’t look like you’ve got much clients at the moment, and if you want to remain here while we sip the tea, then even better. If you’re feeling risky, we can go on around Andaris and, you know, live an adventure! It will be fun, I promise.” Peake ran his hands down his face, trying to clear himself up a bit. “What do you say?”
word count: 872
Kala
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Kala kept track the man, Peake, Lord Peake she corrected herself with a small chuckle, out of the corner of her eye, the irises flaring with orange curiosity and the calm blues and greens that her work brought her. He looked far from lordly as he wandered around the clinic, his gaze disinterested and far away. "Well, they do come from trees, so..." Kala pitched her voice low, interested in the man's line of thought. Truly she could spend hour upon hour discussing herbs, their uses, she wouldn't even put it past herself to puzzle over what herb may be her favorite. Suppressing a small smile, Kala shook her head.

Glancing down at the root that she was very carefully dissecting, Kala decided against explaining what exactly she was making his tea with and what part of what plant each thing came from, as she usually did. As the conversation moved on to the subject of cows, Kala set down the bundle of herbs she had been divvying up to turn and regard the man front on. She leant back against the counter to regard him, her gaze curious and slightly puzzled by the odd topic. "I won't pretend to know much about cows." Kala replied. Or what the hell you're on about either. She added mentally, though decided to keep the thought to herself. "Best to leave the philosophical wonderings of cows to the great lords and lady's." She teased, a touch of periwinkle twinkling teasingly in her gaze.

Kala turned back to her task, chopping the pile of dried herbs that had formed roughly. She swept them aside with the knife, forming a second small pile next to the finely sliced root, and set her knife down once again to move onto the next herb. "I don't think it's wise to mix hallucinogens with sleeping draughts. And besides, I wouldn't have the foggiest clue how to do such a thing." It was a lie, Kala had spent plenty of late, quiet nights playing around with this and that, experimenting with various leaves and flowers, roots and mushrooms.

Kala couldn't help an amused chuckle, her eyebrows arching as she regarded the man, flushing lightly. "You must be renowned for your eloquence, Lord Peake." She teased, pressing a hand over her heart with a playful and overly dramatic flutter of her eyelashes. "I'll tell you what Peake. You can either have your tea, or I can give you the address of a friend of mine, who I'm sure will give you what you seek for a good price. It'll be one or the other I'm afraid, but not both. Who knows what effect mixing of the two might have." She set a hand on her hip, casting a lingering look over the man, before adding, somewhat reluctant, "I'll have to decline your offer though, duty calls." She swept her hand over the room for emphasis.

Turning back to the herbs, Kala repeated the process with the last few piles, chopping them neatly before pulling out a small paper bag. "If you do decided to stay for the tea, I can find you a quiet room somewhere." She offered. There was no knowing how quickly the tea might act, and if he was going to drink it here, it would be wise for him to sleep here as well, instead of risking the journey back to his home half asleep. "To sleep. On your own." Kala amended quickly, sweeping the herbs into the bag.
word count: 605

3/3
Peake
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Not long after the proposal had set flight across the apothecary office, it was dryly shut down by the huntress that was Kala. Mixing hallucinogens with sleeping solutions sounded like a good combination to Peake, or at least it did not that most of his common sense was as buried as the corpse of the proposition. Surely, if Kala was slightly less responsible, Peake would’ve experienced something he was bound to regret whenever he awoke, if he did at all. Perhaps cows and trees would haunt his forced dreams if the proposal was to happen. Alas, now that it was declined, the weary beard and the man that carried it around could only sigh in sadness and disappointment. “Seems like my eloquence didn’t take me very far, Miss Kala. Or is it Missus?” It was an entire challenge to hold back the scoff that escaped him, one he wasn’t ready to face, as instead Peake’s mind set itself towards wooing the female. It was a bad habit, especially in situations like this in which the female in question could alter his trial with just an herb or two. A rejection in this case could mean poison casually making its way onto the aromatic tea she was to prepare.

Eyes drifting down somewhere, maybe they too looking for a bed in which to lay, every once in a while they shot back up towards Kalas’, and a light smile would below the bushy beard. “Alright, alright… I’ll have the tea. I already expect it to be as bitter as it gets. In times like these I wish I had a jar of honey with me…” A chuckle rumbled through his throat, as an amusing came to his mind at first, and then onto his lips. “Or you can just dip your finger onto it, honey.” Peake approached the female’s workstation, not to bother her but to see her work, as he was curious about the medicinal mysteries of the world. His own medicinal knowledge extended to self-diagnose an incoming wave of vomit those days and night when his diet was mostly limited to diverse alcohols and usually accompanied by carnal pleasures. At the same time, despite his curiosity, he tried to be out of the way as much as possible, as the female had called him out once already due to the same reasons. Barely anything of what she performed registered in his mind, his brain uninterested in learning anything as it was strained. “How long have you been working with herbs, if I may ask?”

“Don’t tell me just yet. Since you’re putting me to sleep, alone like you said, I demand a bed time story. I’m not taking a no for an answer.”

► Show Spoiler
word count: 479
Kala
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

"Miss is fine." Kala corrected with a small nod, twisting the top of the paper bag closed as she considered Peake. "Though if you were looking to be accurate, it would be Miss Qy'Ryn." With a small smile she set the bag down on the counter and crossed her arms casually across her chest. "I still prefer Kala though." Kala replied, unable to help but to crack a smile. Whether this was the mans usual personality, or one brought on by exhaustion, it was rather endearing. Where Kala might otherwise be annoyed or offended at such blatant flattery and flirting, the mans heavy lids and tired posture softened her irritation to mild amusement.

Smiling softly she moved to fetch a kettle and a cup. Once the kettle was set over the fire to boil, Kala moved back to the counter to open up the small paper bag. Glancing up, she gestured Peake to join her at the counter. "I'll show you how to prepare the tea, for next time." She told him, rustling in a draw in search of a teaspoon and a tea strainer. Finding the small items amongst the cutlery, Kala pulled the little tea cup closer, placed the strainer in the cup, and opened up the bag of tea she had prepared. "If you don't have a strainer at home it's fine." She told him as she carefully spooned the tea into the little mesh basket. She was careful to get a little of everything in each scoop, and once she was satisfied with the amount of tea she set the spoon and bag aside. "You can simply put it in the jug, or even the cup. You just have to be more careful when you drink it." Finally Kala moved to retrieve her jar of honey, and with a small, coy smile at Peake, she spooned a small amount into the cup.

"And what about yourself, Lord Andaris?" Kala asked, curiosity finally having overcome her. "Is there a Mrs-- Or should I say, Lady Andaris?" The Apothecary Let her colourful gaze roam over the man briefly, and she was not particularly inclined to hide her appreciation of such a well built man. Moving around Peake she pulled the now boiling kettle off of the fire, a thick scrap of fabric wrapped around the handle to protect her hands. Moving back to the counter she poured the hot water slowly and carefully into the cup, the tea leaves turning the water a rich amber.

"Well, are you ready for your bed time story?" The younger woman questioned, a playful quirk to her brow as she removed the strainer. Tea cup in one hand, Kala handed him the bag with the left over tea leaves in the other, and when he was ready she would lead him from the Apothecary and down the hall to a quiet room with bed lined across the wall.

► Show Spoiler
word count: 508

3/3
Maltruism
General Staff
Race: Prophet
Profession: "Mastermind"
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office
Personal Journal
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Staff

Miscellaneous

Events

Come and get your Loot!

(There's plenty more where that came from)

PEAKE & KALA:
Rewards:

• Story: +0
  • Collaboration: +0
  • Structure: +0

Knowledges:

• No Grade

Loot, Loss, Injuries, Fame, Devotion: 0

No Grade

Comments:

Sorry, but Peake announced his retirement and Kala has not logged in in over 3 months.
If either of you return, I will go over it.
For now, though, I will not be taking any bank points for this "review" :roll:
PM me with any comments or concerns :)
word count: 81
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”