Yludih - Q&A

With Shards

Please note: Answers in this archive may be out of date / things may have changed. Do not take for granted anything older than 6 months old. If in doubt - better to ask again.

Moderators: Staff, Peer Reviewer, Wiki Worker

Shards
Prophet of Old
Race: Mer
Renown: 0
Office
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Yludih - Q&A

Hi guys, I had a chat to Vluh, and there was a good point raised that surely enough damage to a Yludih would show up.

So, in my mind, a pin prick obviously shouldn't lead to light escaping that would give away the Yludih's identity.

However, it certainly makes sense that a decent size wound (not necessarily mortal) but one which is of size to cause large blood flow, would cause light to escape quickly. Obviously this is not a big giveaway for the Yludih as not every day you get sliced so badly !!!

So on that basis, wounds of a 'grave' nature, not necessarily mortal, that would lead to decent blood loss, should cause light to escape, illuminating the wound with a bright pulsing of light.

Hope that clarifies things. Also I'm always up to listening to all of your suggestions in order to continue to make the Yludih an awesome race!
word count: 156
Vluharqih
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Profession: Apothecary
Renown: 278
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Yludih - Q&A

Yet another question!

Am I correct in assuming that Yludih don't need sleep? Or does going to Uleuda count as them resting?

Just wondering since their biology isn't that of a human, and on the lore page it states that they typically travel to Uleuda during the night. Just wanted to clarify.
word count: 54
Quio
Approved Character
Renown: 113
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 3

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Yludih - Q&A

Hope you don't mind more questions? I just started my character sheet yesterday and I came across some things.

1.) Can Yludih form unique shapes? Like mythological creatures, etc, or monsters/animals that are original? Obviously I imagined if they could it would be quite difficult. Like to get all the details (how the body works, etc.) right. I mean because it's already hard enough to just copy other things.

EDIT: Bonus question 1.a! Do you think it's within the realm of possibility for a Yludih to recreate a form based on memory? Like of someone they once knew well?

2.) I know some have already asked similar questions, like about how gills work and stuff, but what about poison? Technically that's a physical quality, not a mental one, but I somehow doubt an Yludih could duplicate it? Or like, say, if they turned into a creature that could breathe steam as an attack. Could they then breathe steam (if they got all the internal stuff right, like the necessary organs)?

3.) Is their natural tongue (I don't know if it has a name, just Yludih, or maybe Uleuda?) sort of like music? That's how I imagine it... like tones created by their crystals, more than words?

4.) This might have also been covered but I'm not sure, so I thought I'd ask. If they are somewhere cold, or are made extremely cold (I don't know, maybe through magic or they get trapped in an ice room, haha), does that affect their abilities to manipulate heat/light/energy and thus their projected form?

5.) How much difference in mass do they have to work with when turning into other races/animals? Up until now I've been assuming that my Quio will have to be 170 lbs no matter what shape he's in, but it would be nice if I had a hard limit on leeway. So can they get (up until a certain point, maybe like 10% of their mass?) smaller or larger? Or nah?

6.) Due to their crystalline bodies (and presumably organs), can they eat whatever they want and not get sick? I'm asking because Quio might spend a lot of time as animals, and so it would be cool if he could eat raw meat.

7.) And this one is more personal than anything else... if I choose not to start with two racial forms, could I instead start with two animals? I'm thinking no, but it would be cool if I could, as it just makes more sense to do it that way for what I've got planned for Quio's history. If you want to ask more questions about it, feel free to PM me. Or like... if we have a special permissions desk or something? I haven't looked yet (silly me).

EDIT: Also, I decided to just try to ask a minstrel directly about that last one because I have a few other questions about, uh... extenuating circumstances? So I don't think we need bother with it. Thanks though. ^_^

8.) How does a Yludih's first form work? When they're born, do they automatically understand to take a form, or perhaps their mother extends her illusion to cover them until they are old enough to project by themselves?
word count: 562
A L I A S E S
Quio
Freeman
Ruq, Iaan, Korim
Image Image Image
Shards
Prophet of Old
Office

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Yludih - Q&A

Quio wrote:Hope you don't mind more questions? I just started my character sheet yesterday and I came across some things.
Not at all :)
Quio wrote:1.) Can Yludih form unique shapes? Like mythological creatures, etc, or monsters/animals that are original? Obviously I imagined if they could it would be quite difficult. Like to get all the details (how the body works, etc.) right. I mean because it's already hard enough to just copy other things.
The vast majority can form into other animals. It would take only a very special Yludih to form the unique shapes you describe...
Quio wrote:EDIT: Bonus question 1.a! Do you think it's within the realm of possibility for a Yludih to recreate a form based on memory? Like of someone they once knew well?
Memory does not provide enough information required to perform a decent replication. The replication would resemble a caricature of that person. It is the subtle details that create a perfect copy.
Quio wrote:2.) I know some have already asked similar questions, like about how gills work and stuff, but what about poison? Technically that's a physical quality, not a mental one, but I somehow doubt an Yludih could duplicate it? Or like, say, if they turned into a creature that could breathe steam as an attack. Could they then breathe steam (if they got all the internal stuff right, like the necessary organs)?
Poison was discussed earlier, only acids and the like could do a Yludih damage. They could breath steam (heat projected from mouth, reacting with cooler air) but it would be just steam and not hot enough to be used as an attack.
Quio wrote:3.) Is their natural tongue (I don't know if it has a name, just Yludih, or maybe Uleuda?) sort of like music? That's how I imagine it... like tones created by their crystals, more than words?
That is a great idea. Let me have a think on that one and whether we do this. I suppose for the purposes of RPing, they would be translated out in english of course, but certainly their language spoken could be a collection of musical tones. Nice one, Quio.
Quio wrote:4.) This might have also been covered but I'm not sure, so I thought I'd ask. If they are somewhere cold, or are made extremely cold (I don't know, maybe through magic or they get trapped in an ice room, haha), does that affect their abilities to manipulate heat/light/energy and thus their projected form?
Only in the same way it would affect any other race to perform in those conditions.
Quio wrote:5.) How much difference in mass do they have to work with when turning into other races/animals? Up until now I've been assuming that my Quio will have to be 170 lbs no matter what shape he's in, but it would be nice if I had a hard limit on leeway. So can they get (up until a certain point, maybe like 10% of their mass?) smaller or larger? Or nah?
Correct, the Yludih must abide by the same scientific laws that we enjoy here, that being the law of conservation of mass. They could skimp out on the density of certain areas to enlarge themselves, but would be at the detriment to the functionality of the creature they are assuming the form of. Sorry, that was a shit sentence.
Quio wrote:6.) Due to their crystalline bodies (and presumably organs), can they eat whatever they want and not get sick? I'm asking because Quio might spend a lot of time as animals, and so it would be cool if he could eat raw meat.
Yep. The amount of energy required is in proportion to the amount of energy their form uses up. Carnivores require large amounts of energy to function.
Quio wrote:7.) And this one is more personal than anything else... if I choose not to start with two racial forms, could I instead start with two animals? I'm thinking no, but it would be cool if I could, as it just makes more sense to do it that way for what I've got planned for Quio's history. If you want to ask more questions about it, feel free to PM me. Or like... if we have a special permissions desk or something? I haven't looked yet (silly me).
Animals must be learned separately. Please have a look at the Race's page on the step-by-step requirement to assume the form of an animal.
Quio wrote:EDIT: Also, I decided to just try to ask a minstrel directly about that last one because I have a few other questions about, uh... extenuating circumstances? So I don't think we need bother with it. Thanks though. ^_^
Quio wrote:8.) How does a Yludih's first form work? When they're born, do they automatically understand to take a form, or perhaps their mother extends her illusion to cover them until they are old enough to project by themselves?
They unconsciously take the form, using the involuntary parts of their mind, similar to that of breathing and blinking.

Hope that helps!
word count: 882
Quio
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Yludih - Q&A

Related to forms-- I know you said Yludih are (currently) allowed two races and any number of animal forms. Just to be clear, though: does that mean my Yludih could learn any number of human and Biqaj forms (those being his chosen races)? So like... could he have multiple human forms? Or one face per race? (<---rhyme)

EDIT: Also, is the Uleuda forum open for play? And if not, could we post Uleuda threads in Emea for the time being, or no?
EDIT 2: Just heard that Yludih cannot access Emea? So if we can't RP in the Uleuda forum yet, could we do temp threads just in our city of residence?

Thanks!
word count: 114
A L I A S E S
Quio
Freeman
Ruq, Iaan, Korim
Image Image Image
Niv
Approved Character
Profession: Tiny Sage
Renown: 101
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Yludih - Q&A

this is probably a silly question but could a Yulidih take take the form of a Tunawa?
word count: 17
Shards
Prophet of Old
Office

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Yludih - Q&A

Related to forms-- I know you said Yludih are (currently) allowed two races and any number of animal forms. Just to be clear, though: does that mean my Yludih could learn any number of human and Biqaj forms (those being his chosen races)? So like... could he have multiple human forms? Or one face per race? (<---rhyme)
Answered this earlier somewhere. "Changing appearance should be an ability learned through knowledge as to change their appearance requires one to learn how to manipulate their crystals to do that. The bigger the change the more difficult. This will be up to the RPer to have their character learn the change when RPing and the grader will award accordingly."
EDIT: Also, is the Uleuda forum open for play? And if not, could we post Uleuda threads in Emea for the time being, or no?
EDIT 2: Just heard that Yludih cannot access Emea? So if we can't RP in the Uleuda forum yet, could we do temp threads just in our city of residence.
You can absolutely RP in the Uleuda forum. I didn't want Uleuda to be a place for Yludih to exclusively RP in. It is more like a 'location' where RPing can occur. Feel free to explore the wonders of the crystal city.
This is probably a silly question but could a Yulidih take take the form of a Tunawa?
Not silly, I've not updated the race page since the introduction of the Tunawa. I am leaning toward restricting this as the Tunawa are so physically small, that it would just make no sense for a Yludih to assume the appearance of one.
Am I correct in assuming that Yludih don't need sleep? Or does going to Uleuda count as them resting?

Just wondering since their biology isn't that of a human, and on the lore page it states that they typically travel to Uleuda during the night. Just wanted to clarify.
Apologies for missing you Vluh! After I wrote up Uleuda, I have been discussing a lot of things with the other staff including this one. We decided to make it that ascension to Uleuda when sleeping does not occur always and becomes voluntary.
word count: 370
Shards
Prophet of Old
Office

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Yludih - Q&A

Updated opening post to include all recent questions and answers!

Just want say thanks guys for questions so far and helping refine / shape the intricacies of this race.

And finally, Uleuda is open to RP in for all Yludih.
word count: 39
Quio
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Yludih - Q&A

I don't know if this knowledge existed before, but now that we've had the domain update, I was wondering how fractures work with Yludih? Because Yludih cannot access Emea, does this mean they would be barred from entering a fracture into Emea? Or is entering it physically different than entering it while asleep?

EDIT: Also I'm doing a thread in the Uleuda and my partner brought up in-post that it was odd that the Yludih only had polearms for weapons. That got me thinking...

The Uleuda is a real-space, but it's also a mind-space, right? Like, Quio's not physically there, he's there mentally, spiritually. So, can Yludih shift forms in Uleuda (perhaps more easily, or to forms they don't yet have in the 'real world', even)? (UPDATE: The lore says that they cannot shift forms in Uleuda). And also, could like... their spears (or even other items) morph into whatever they happen to need at the time? So like, a spear could morph into a bow and arrow?

Or no?

EDIT 2: What happens to a Yludih in the real world when they are turned into nulliem in Uleuda? Do they simply die in their sleep? Also, what happens to a Yludih who dies or is injured in other ways in the Uleuda (aka stabbed by a spear, crushed by a falling tree, etc)? Do they simply wake up?
Last edited by Quio on Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 239
A L I A S E S
Quio
Freeman
Ruq, Iaan, Korim
Image Image Image
Yanahalqah
Approved Character
Profession: Knight Captain of the Iron Hand
Renown: 341
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Yludih - Q&A

I came up with some more questions! :D

They are all following the theme of organs and injury.

1) Apart from the asterism, do Yludih have internal organs? I imagine they do possess a esophagus-like canal to bring food to the asterism -or that their insides change automatically to bring this about? But what of other organs? I can't imagine the Yludih having a need for them, really. Which ties in with my next question!

2) Under the assumption that Yludih have no internal organs other than the asterism, is there a need for Yludih to breathe? Can they even breathe? They seemingly run on carbohydrates alone, but do they need oxygen to burn them and gain energy? What about the Yludih impersonating Mer? As the disguise is not a true transformation but an illusion, they can't actually form gills, can they? Then -if they actually need to breathe- how do they get their oxygen from the water?

3) How do you kill a Yludih? And I don't mean by destroying the asterism. I imagine that since they emit light when wounded, a severe injury would drain them of too much of the light energy, and kill them? Much like them bleeding out. But is it instant death, or does it take a while? Say you cut their head off, do they die immediately? Or can they just gather their severed head, push it back on their neck and wait for it to heal? Given that they are fast enough to accomplish this.

4) Building on n°3, what is a too severe wound? I think I read somewhere that Yludih can lose a limb. I consider this to be a rather significant wound, where a lot of light would escape. But if they don't necessarily die from that, what makes losing a limb different from losing a head? Or being run through (asterism remains unharmed)?

5)Say a Yludih lost a limb, and the Yludih chooses not to reflect it in their illusion, how does that work? I mean, the illusion is only optical, right? Wouldn't that mean that anyone trying to grab their hand (the severed hand) would be trying to grasp thin air? Or do they simply use some spare crystals from their body -internal crystals for example- to create a new limb, but at the cost of being more fragile?

EDIT

6) Can one earn xp points and knowledge from threads in the Uleuda? If yes, where do we post the review requests?
word count: 422
"Speaking" - Thinking - "Others speaking"
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Q&A Archive”