• Solo • Restoring The Shrine, Part 2: Blades And Paint Jobs

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Devin
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Baron Smooglethorn
Renown: 1090
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 10

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Restoring The Shrine, Part 2: Blades And Paint Jobs

39th of Saun, Arc 718

“What’s that?“ Devin asked, furrowed his brow in irritation and pointed at the long, shiny and silver objects that Aidan was holding in his hands. The young man grinned all over his face and informed him, “Swords for our training sessions so that we can spar. I thought that you might appreciate that.”

“Well, I can see that”,
Devin remarked and rolled his eyes. “And I’d very much like to spar with you. Hitting training dummies is getting boring very quickly. Why are the blades rounded though?” he wanted to know and eyed the blades in question with suspicion.

“Because I’d rather not hurt you or kill you by accident”, Aidan replied dryly. “That’s always a risk, especially when you are just learning to fight. I know how using a sword like that makes you feel, especially when you already own such a masterful blade”, he said and pointed at the sword at Devin’s belt. “But trust me, it’s for the best. Besides, nobody is watching us. I won’t tell that we are using practice weapons if you don’t. So, what do you say? Would you like to spar with me?”

Devin looked at him for a moment, considering him, and then he quickly undid his sword belt and dropped because he didn’t want his weapon to get in the way and grabbed one of Aidan’s swords instead – and advanced without a warning because he didn’t want to give the other man a chance to prepare himself for his attack and, possibly, gain an advantage over him. He liked Aidan, but he wanted to win nevertheless. He struck with as much strength as he could muster up, aiming for the other man’s torso.

Aidan grinned at him, stepped to the side and forward and struck diagonally downwards. Immediately afterwards, he executed an attack of his own, aiming for Devin’s upper body before he raised a hand, signaling for the thief to stop fighting for a moment. “The first thing that you need to do is to move out of the way of your opponent’s attack”, he explained. “You also need to make sure that every defense of yours is immediately followed by an attack. Simply parrying is not enough. Your opponent won’t give up just because their attack failed but attack again and again until you are completely exhausted at which point you will, most likely, lose.”

“Now I will attack you”,
he proclaimed and added, “Keep in mind what I just told you!”

Having said that, he raised his sword and struck straight down at Devin’s head. The thief quickly moved out of the way of the oncoming attack and raised his sword to intercept Aidan’s, feeling like quite an accomplished swordsman as he heard the sound of metal striking metal. He didn’t have a lot of time to savour that moment of success though. Aidan immediately moved backwards, lowered his blade and aimed for Devin’s legs instead – at which point the thief decided to quickly jump back only to find that Aidan was following him!

He decided to copy Aidan’s previous attack, aiming for his head, mostly because he couldn’t come up with anything else in the hurry. Aidan did of course manage to parry, and a moment later he suddenly extended his sword arm towards Devin. His blade pointed straight at the thief, effectively keeping him from advancing any further. Devin looked at it, frowning hard before he looked at Aidan who looked back. at him expectantly. Finally, the thief struck downwards – only to suddenly find Aidan’s sword pointing straight at his throat. He expected his friend to laugh triumphantly, and tell him how much he still sucked, but instead the young scholar simply lowered his sword and remarked,

“That was quite good!”
Last edited by Devin on Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 667

Appearance

• Due to an encounter with a magical tree Devin has bright violet eyes.
  • Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Devin owns a Ring of Reversal. He's always wearing it, unless stated otherwise.

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Restoring The Shrine, Part 2: Blades And Paint Jobs

A few bits later the two young men were sitting on a bench outside of Devin’s house, munching on two sandwiches because fighting was exhausting and tended to make you hungry. “So, how’s that shrine thing going?” Aidan asked between two bites and looked at Devin questioningly. He’d been quite surprised when he’d found out that the man who he had gotten to know as Cally’s resident bard was also a priest – and a priest of Delroth at that!

“Well”, Devin replied and frowned a little. “The shrine’s been repaired, and I have some decorations, and a fancy robe – but I can’t seem to find anybody that is willing to paint the walls. All the painters in Scalvoris Town are either busy or demand a fortune, and what more, they are immune to my charms!” he complained, feigning a pout and pretending to be absolutely indignant because they’d had the gall to resist him.

“Did I already tell you about my fancy new robe?” he asked because he didn’t want to put too much of an emphasis on his failure to find a painter.

Aidan rolled his eyes and laughed. Whereas others would have been shocked or even alerted the guards, he was quite amused by the fact that Devin was an experienced con man who constantly tried to persuade people to give him stuff for free. “You did, just now, and a few trials ago as well. I might be able to help you with your painter problem though. My cousin’s a painter. I’m afraid that she won’t work for free because she needs to make money and feed her family, but she’ll demand a fair price.”

“What do you say?”
Last edited by Devin on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 309

Appearance

• Devin has fancy black claw-like nails. The Grafter Rakvald made them from the spines that grow on the dubaebo's back and attached them to Devin's hands.

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Devin had said yes of course because he didn’t have much of a choice, and he doubted that a better opportunity would come along. He didn’t like the idea of actually having to pay for stuff, but he liked the idea of Delroth being mad at him even less. Delroth was his favourite Immortal ever, and he wanted him to like him and be proud of what he had done with that old shrine and give him a lot more special abilities. He didn’t know what exactly Delroth’s curse was like, but it was probably pretty unpleasant and involved making him look hideous.

For that reason, he sat in front of the shrine bright and early the next trial, dressed in his fancy new golden silk robe that had cost more than most people earned in a season and waited for Aidan’s cousin and her crew to arrive. When an incredibly beautiful woman with long brown hair and skin that was the color of ivory strolled down the street that led past the shrine, he immediately jumped up. He was about to walk over to her and tell her how very pleased he was that she had agreed to help him, when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

He spun around quickly and just stared at the person behind him. It was a woman. She was about thirty, and she reminded him a lot of Kyreen, the baker, who he had told that story to, except that she was taller and quite muscular. She had brown hair, brown eyes, brown skin, she wore a brown dress and brown shoes, and she carried a brown bag in her hand. Behind her were two similarly homely looking women. One of them was carrying a ladder, the other one dragged a little cart that was filled with cans of paint behind her.

“Devin?” the brown woman asked and extended her hand for him to shake. “I’m Adele, Aidan’s cousin, and these are my employees, Kira and Heidi. We’ve come to paint your shrine!”
word count: 363

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

“In that case”, Devin informed Adele and shook her hand. She had a very firm handshake, he noticed. “I’d like you to use a lot of gold and some red, but not too much, because I want it to still look like a shrine of Delroth and not like a shrine of Syroa, and I want you to paint the outer walls a brilliant shade of white. Do you think that you can do that?” he wanted to know and raised an eyebrow questioningly.

“Easily”, Adele said and laughed as if he had just said something particularly funny. While the three ladies went to work, Devin sat down in the shade under a nearby tree and watched them which wasn’t as boring and unappealing as he had thought it would be at first. There was something quite impressive about the way they painted his shrine, quickly and meticulously and without wasting any time on pointless chatter. After they had painted the outer walls, the three women decided to take a break, removed their lunch from their bags and joined him under the tree, entertaining him with all kinds of fascinating stories.

Adele, he found out, had been a mercenary before she had opened her business and travelled the world. She had gone as far as Yaralon, until an injury had put a sudden end to her career, and she had a wicked sense of humor. Kira and Heidi played theatre in their spare time. By the time they were done with their work, he was beginning to see the three women in a new light and didn’t mind their overwhelmingly average looks anymore – as much. Besides, they had made the old shrine look absolutely spectacular! Delroth would be happy!
word count: 306

Appearance

Items

Potions

N/A
[/list]
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Devin

Overview

I love how you wove in the story to a training thread and, more than that, how well you play Devin to his skill level. He's such a fun pc, I enjoy him so much and I love reading his threads. You have 'loveable rogue' down to a fine art, so you do! As always, let me know if I've missed anything and please, enjoy your well earned rewards!

XP: 10 (not for magic)

Renown: 10 (really nice shrine!)

Loot

Please deduct 10gn as payment.

Delroth likes his shrine! As part of a series of threads, this one is the culmination of work and has earned Devin a new Tarouz ability. Mirror Mirror unlocked!

Knowledge

Blades (Shortsword): Defending the head
Blades (Shortsword): Attacking the head
Blades (Shortsword): Attacking the torso
Blades (Shortsword): Simply parrying is not enough
Blades (Shortsword): Moving out of the way of an attack
Endurance: Fighting is exhausting
word count: 171
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~
Current Status:
Working on a New User Guide - feel free to feed back in the thread!
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Scalvoris Town”