A Love Story with Cannons

A classic love story with a pirate themed twist! (Mute & Rynata)

Almund is a thriving township with a dark side. With houses made from the wooden bodies of decommissioned ships, there are many opportunities here, coupled with many dangers.

Moderators: Pegasus, Vorpal, Ghoul

Tio Silver
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Profession: Pirate Captain
Renown: +422
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters
Medal count: 24

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:27 pm

20th of Saun, 717
Almund Bazaar, Scalvoris

"Whale Cakes! Get your Whale Cakes here!"

"Wheatwort Loaf! Two for the price of one!"

Almund was not what most people would call a cultural place. Snobby travelers would always point to Scalvoris Town as the cultural centre of Scalvoris, citing the artistic architecture and variety of foreign trinkets available there as evidence, but from a certain point of view they were wrong. Scalvoris Town certainly had culture, but the problem was that since it had grown upon trade from foreign ports most of that culture wasn't actually its own. By contrast Almund was an entirely self made town built upon a hundred years of pirate history, and whilst it was undoubtedly crude and brutal few would deny that it was the one place on the island where customs and traditions, many entirely unique to Scalvoris, were adhered to the most fanatically.

And one of those many customs was the Amazing Almundian Bake-off (TM), a carnival celebrating all forms of baked goods that was hosted annually in the Almund Bazaar. Thought to be started by the crew of Harold Ekmekci, one of the pirate lords known as "The Baker", the festival was a chance for people all across town to make some money by selling their own interesting baked products, or just enjoy themselves by gorging on as many sweet treats as they could afford. It was a strange sight for visitors to see the many hardened seafarers who were normally stumbling around drunk or beating each other senseless standing like soldiers behind wooden stalls, aprons flapping in the wind like frilly capes as their calloused hands pointed out a variety of delightful cupcakes, but not a one of them seemed to feel any sense of shame at their uncharacteristically sensitive displays. It was common knowledge after all that anyone who dared to take the piss out of one of the bakers would soon find themselves led down a back alley and quietly stabbed through the shins with a cutlass.

There were a hundred and one circumstances that could have led Mute and Rynata to be at the bazaar that day. They could have been there to have a good time, to sell their own baked goods, to hit on some hot piece of pirate ass or do anything else under the sun that took their fancy. Regardless of how they'd ended up there, what mattered was that they'd arrived at one particular corner of the bazaar at just the wrong time. As they went about their business at that moment the sound of raised voices, far angrier than those of the stall vendors, caught the attention of them and the nearby crowd, and all eyes turned to the source of commotion.

"Reee! Our gingerpigmen! You... You harpies! The lot of you are just begging to introduce your faces to my trotters!" Roared a... pig? A man? Some kind of fusion of both? Whatever he was he had the body of a very large, very muscular man, but the head and skin of a pig! Evidently his mouth was able to speak common without trouble, but the distinctly pig-like squeal of horror he'd issued wasn't a sound a human could have made either. Behind him a large group of pirates, all male, all wielding some kind of kitchen utensil with a surprising amount of menace and all wearing similar red bandanas with a black 'M' embroidered on the front, nodded in agreement.

[color=0040FF]"Huh?! You tryin' ta shift the blame on 'ta us, bacon boy?! If your lackeys hadn't sabotaged our sausage rolls first we wouldn' ha' had 'ta retaliate!"[/color] A woman with a spiky red mahican and a black leather jacket with a frankly uncomfortable amount of piercings in her face yelled back, uncurling a long black whip from her side that had thin, sharp blades attached to its thong. Behind her an all female pirate crew in similar jackets, also brandishing cooking equipment with a disturbing level of malice, hummed their agreement to her words.

"You were only selling those rolls to get on my last nerve, just like you always do! Well I ain't gonna let it pass! Draw your weapon hag, I'm gonna teach you a lesson!" The pig-man snarled!

"You think you can, pork chop? To arms ladies! Looks like this ham's about 'ta get smoked!" The punk-girl spat back! With a voracious battlecry both pirate crews charged at each other, dragging the unaffiliated pirates into combat with them, and instantly the bazaar descended into a free-for-all riot. Ladles swung through the air like maces, baking trays became makeshift shields, and the frying pans... the horrors they committed would forevermore haunt our two heroes nightmares. Let's just leave it at saying that they did not make the comical gong-like noise people though they did when used to smack someone over the head, but something far, far more sickening.

Unless they wanted to get harmed Mute and Rynata needed protect themselves. But how? Fight back? Run for cover? The rioting pirates didn't seem to care who they attacked at this point.
Off Topic
And we're off guys! Let the thread begin!

I would appreciate it if you could post before September 26th. I'll get the next post up a couple of days after you both have.

Also if you feel like it I have two bonus challenges for you:
1. Make something of your own for the bake-off.
2. Grab a piece of kitchen equipment and fight back!
word count: 946
Rynata
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Merchant
Renown: +210
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 3

Contribution

Re: A Love Story with Cannons

Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:13 am

"What would you say? Is it one cup of sugar or two?"

Rynata asked Walter with a mixing bowl in her arms and he in turn glanced over at her out of the corner of his eye.

"Having to ask me, I'd say you're already doomed. Stick to the original plan."

Letting out a contemplative sigh, Rynata returned to whisking the mixture in the bowl. The two of them were set up in Rynata's old stall at the Almund Bazaar, an array of basic ingredients lining their counter-top instead of baked goods. She had dragged along her friend for company, insisting that there was money to be made during the bake-off even if they weren't culinary masters themselves. Surely there would be accidents such as cracked eggs and ruined batches of batter. People would be looking to restock their ingredients amidst the fierce competition. It turned out she was not so far off in her prediction, as every so often, bakers came by to purchase another bag of sugar or block of butter. Unfortunately for them, the prices may have been hiked up by yours truly.

Still, the wafting fragrance of baked goods filling the bazaar and watching all the contestants at work had inspired Rynata. Enough that she decided she'd like to try her own hand at baking. The problem was that she didn't have any idea what she was doing, and neither did Walter. The only recipes she vaguely remembered involved fish, or some kind of sea food, and she didn't think that could work in a baking recipe. Could it? At least it wouldn't go well together with the dessert cupcake she was trying to make.

As she stood there staring down the cup of sugar and Walter lounged in his seat, angry shouts rose over the other voices of the baking event.

"What the hell..." Walter said in disbelief, slowly lowering to the ground the feet he had propped up on the counter.

What the hell, indeed. Rynata followed his gaze to see a giant, pig like man, facing down an equally angry and individualistic woman. Behind each of them was a group of what seemed to be their crew, all of them eager for a fight as their leaders hurled insults at each other.

"Wait! Don't-"

Rynata instinctively jumped out, trying to stop the altercation before it came to blows. However, it was too late. The ringing battle cries acted as a sort of signal, and a tidal wave of angry pirates rushed to crash into each other. Caught up in the middle of it, Rynata realized that she only had what she had in her hands when she rushed out of her stall. The bowl and the whisk. Even if she wanted to get out of the violent clash and to safety, she would have to fight her way through the frenzied pirates.

Ducking the spatula that came whizzing toward her face, Rynata dodged left and right, trying to push back the way she had come. At one point she had to slap the bowl over the face of a particularly aggressive pirate baker with flour all down his front, who was coming after her with a rolling pin. Moments later the poor man was knocked over the head with a dread frying pan, creating a loud crashing noise that Rynata didn't envy. Hopefully the bowl had managed to act as sort of helmet. Now with just a whisk in hand, she was doing her best not to be crushed underfoot.
word count: 607
Mute
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 1

Contribution

Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:59 pm

"Silence Reigns . . ."

I hated workplace parties.

The Almund Bazaar was no more packed than any other trial of the arc and I couldn't even claim that the patronage had changed much. Pirates brushed shoulders with craftsmen and prostitutes mingled with bakers. It was, I felt, the finest snapshot of the wild and dangerous city's culture. Cutlasses, however, had been replaced with knives of a much shorter variety, the gold exchanged this morning was of the more flaky variety, and the only white powder stuck in beards beneath the nose was flour. Indeed, it was clear that the Almundian Bake-Off had returned to the stall city.

And I hated it.

Still, a courier had to work regardless of the circumstances. In fact, to-trial had proven profitable thus far, all things considered. There were many a would-be culinary expert who elicited my services in the early stages of the festival when the crowds had been smaller. Fetch this particularly pastry! Deliver these cookies to my grandma! I had moved to and fro throughout the maze of booths to bolster the various efforts at excellence by his fellow locals. It had been enough, at first, to make me swallow my distaste for the delicacies.

Alas, the arrival of the drooling droves had put an end to my lucrative employment. Oh, there was still an odd request here and there, but nothing like how it had been a few breaks earlier. In fact, I was about ready to call it quits for the day before the stench of fish and sweat completely overwhelmed the sweet scents radiating from the various stations. All I needed to do was deliver this cast-iron pot of melted chocolate to the stall at the end of this aisle and I could make my exit . . .

The riot started shortly after that thought.

The bazaar exploded into chaos like a rippling wave, incited by some unseen conflict closer to the center of marketplace. Unprepared, the cauldron was knocked out of my hands when a nearby shopper was shoved into me by an unruly sailor. The chocolate splattered across the wooden tent peg of the stall, smearing wood and canvas like a work of abstract defecation. Somehow, I retained hold of the cauldron lid and I held it in front of my like a buckler as the sailor moved towards me. Thankfully, his attack was still directed towards the fallen patron at my feet, so I was able to slammed the iron across the back of the man's head after he stepped past me. My arm shook from the impact, but I knew it had probably been worse for the other guy.

Looking for a more offensive oriented utensil to accompany my shield, I quickly snatched up a rolling pin for the baker's stall to my left; its owner was currently in a tussle with a wild-eyed woman behind the counter so neither noticed my theft. Feeling a bit more well-armed, I started moving in the direction of the closest exit, hoping that the riot didn't cut me off before he could make my escape.
word count: 524
Tio Silver
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:46 pm

Brandishing her whisk like a batter covered baton, Rynata did a remarkably good job of defending herself from the storm of flying kitchen tools and rampaging pirate bakers. Whilst she may not have had any great skill in combat, her tactical mind and keen detection skills allowed her to spot danger heading her way and quickly make plans to avoid it, allowing her to weave through the pandemonium without sustaining much more than a few scrapes and bruises. Mute struggled a bit more since his tall frame made him more noticeable and a bigger target, but his handy improvised shield turned out to be incredibly helpful at weathering the rain of blows coming at him from every direction. His stolen rolling pin made a satisfyingly hearty clunk whenever it caught an unsuspecting seafarer on the noggin.

As the riot went on the two heroes found that they'd been pushed around by the melee into a corner of the bazaar where a small tent was nestled between two stalls, completely unobtrusive except for the fact that the door flap was drawn shut. Every other tent in the bazaar was wide open as the bakers had tried to draw as many customers inside as possible, but this one by contrast seemed to want to stay hidden from curious eyes. If any of the two cared to look at it closer despite the chaos around them they might notice that the flap had only been loosely drawn across but not fastened shut, as if it had been closed in a hurry. They wouldn't have long to look though; an enormous bulky pirate with a belly like a barrel of jelly shoved past them as he charged at some foe he'd spotted in the distance, quite literally bouncing the two of them through the door flap to land butt-first on the ground.

The moment he fell through Mute would be able to feel the prickling of his Empathy spark reacting to a strong emotion nearby. It was a thick, cloying yet undeniably joyful emotion; like candy floss made so sweet as to be slightly sickly. The sounds of talking behind them would cause both him and Rynata to look behind them and spot a pair of teenagers locked in a conversation apparently so engaging that neither had noticed their accidental intrusion.

"Oh my sweet Romera. If I profane with my unworthiest hand this holy shrine, the gentle fine is this: my lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand to smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss." A boy, tall and lithe but with a hint of that awkward teenage gangliness still clinging to his frame, whispered smoothly in a tone that would make even the frilliest of poets cringe. He had long flowing blonde locks and piercing blue eyes that would undoubtedly make him quite the lady-killer in a few years, but had obviously spent way too much time on preening himself for the typical Scalvoran woman's more practical tastes. Strangely enough his choice of clothing contrasted with his perfectly pampered face; it was torn and rugged, patched up one too many times with whatever fabric happened to be on hand. The white jerkin and brown trousers just screamed of a seafarer, but it was the long red jacket and cutlass strapped to his side that gave him away as a pirate. Tied around his upper arm was another red bandana with a black 'M' embroidered onto it, just like the ones on the men who had backed up the pig-man just before the start of the fight.

"Oh Julius, you're so romantic! I don't have a f**king clue what you mean, but I love it anyway!" The other teenager, a girl of approximately the same age, gushed as the sprinkling of red across her cheeks grew into a full, shining blush. While the boy looked like more of a lover than a fighter, this girl looked as if three fighters, a barrel of nails and a healthy dose of grit had been blended together to form the very incarnation of toughness itself. The ultimate punk tomboy, her short, spiky red hair and petite but powerfully built frame perfectly complemented her choice of attire; a set of deliberately ripped black workman's vest and trousers, thigh-high boots dotted with small, stunted spikes, and a black leather jacket identical to the ones worn by the all-female pirate crew from earlier except for the fact that the sleeves had been torn off. However by far the most eye-catching feature about her was what had to be the absolute heaviest, brutalist mace ever seen hanging from a strap across one of her shoulders! The thing was practically an anvil with nails on it tied to a stick, but this Romera didn't seem to struggle to hold it any more than one would a quiver of arrows.

" Oh Romera. Did my heart love 'till now? Forswear it, sight! For I ne'er saw true beauty until this night." Julius replied soppily, clasping one of Romera's hands between his own.

"Oh Julius! Talk more of that beautiful f**king gibberish to me!" Romera blathered back.

"Oh Romera!"

"Oh Julius!"

Clearly the word 'Oh' had featured, and would continue to feature, quite heavily in this conversation, which at this point had become so overwhelming sappy as to be a little bit revolting to watch. The waves of lovey-dovey vibes rolling off the two of them was enough to drown a cat in. However the two of them didn't seem to care, or indeed have any sort of awareness of the word around them as they swam in each others eyes (which was somewhat incredible considering the utter cacophony of the fight raging just outside the tent.)

At least that was the case for a good few trills, until a bag of flour sailed through the air into the tent and exploded on top of Rynata's head; covering her head to toe in flour and at last snapping the two teens back to reality. Both their heads span around to finally spot the intruders, and both their expressions morphed into a picture of pale horror as they realized they'd been caught. Julius let out a particularly effeminate squeak, like a mouse being trodden on. Romera however furrowed her eyebrows into a look of pure murder so intense Syroa herself would be impressed, and with deliberate slowness reached for her monster of a mace.
Off Topic
Two waring factions, two star-crossed teenage lovers, some poncy words... I think you can start to see where this is going.

I would appreciate it if you could post before October 3rd. I'll get the next post up a couple of days after you both have.

Also if you feel like it I have a bonus challenge for each you:
1. Rynata: You're now covered in flour. Have some fun with this! Pretend to be a ghost or something! I'll leave what exactly up to your imagination.
2. Mute: Without speaking, have your character somehow descriptively express how they feel watching the two teens to Rynata. Does he find it sickeningly sappy? Adorable? Funny? Find a creative way to let her know your thoughts.
word count: 1225
Mute
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:54 am

"Silence Reigns . . ."

My trudging through the overturned tables and smashed delectables was a slow but steady process. Both arms jarred with each impact of wood, metal, and flesh that crashed into my club and shield like waves in a choppy ocean. I had been forced to clobber a few of the rioters as they drew within my range, lest I be overwhelmed by their anarchy. It helped, I felt, that I didn't have the look of a pirate--not that they had a "look", I admitted after a trill's consideration--and it was obvious that I was making an effort to escape the chaos, not incite it further. That coupled with a few well placed swings with my rolling pin, was enough to get me out of the central area of the bazaar, fleeing into one of the corners until a more appropriate exit became available to me. A whisk-wielding woman seemed to have had the same idea as she sought refuge beside a closed tent and it wasn't long until I found myself standing beside her, pushed onward by the current of the mob.

Then, after bouncing off the rotund abdomen region of a towering corsair, I found myself sitting beside the woman in the interior of the aforementioned tent. I shifted uncomfortably, ignoring the sting in my backside as I gathered my bearings and, more importantly, checked if the woman and I were alone. Alas, we were not, though the other occupants of structure hadn't seemed to notice our abrupt arrival. Threads of Love radiated off the boy and girl in an obnoxious pink halo, strangling any other emotions that might've cropped up given the circumstances. They were, I realized, utterly enthralled with one another.

And it was nauseating.

After listening to their exchange of amorous poetry and rough-spoken appreciation, I pulled my eyes away from the scene to catch the woman's gaze beside me. Perhaps it was the immaturity of the two lovers that sparked my own juvenile response, but I displayed my distaste for the scene to the woman by opening my mouth wide and pointing a single finger to the back of my throat. It was, I understood, a universal sign of disgust among cultures, or at least so the Bazaar children told me when I was working there. Perhaps she found the situation cute, but I myself was not amused.

But what was a secret romantic rendezvous without a bit of chaos tossed into it? I heard the the flour crash over the woman's head beside me, instinctively rolling out of the grainy cloud that exploded out of the sackcloth; the woman, sadly, was not so lucky. I had hoped the two children would have been so enamored that they didn't notice our intrusion, but a whimper from the boy and the reach for a mace by the girl suggested otherwise. I quickly shoved myself to my feet, snatching up my makeshift bludgeon and buckler in the process, and lifted the pair up to offer a measly defense against the girl. I doubted it would do much, but I had to try something.

And hope the woman beside me was full of surprises.
word count: 539
Rynata
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:34 am

Dodging a wide array of kitchen utensils and the occasional fist, Rynata ended up in an unfamiliar section of the bazaar. Through the chaos, she spotted a lone tent, remarkably intact in the fighting. However, before she could finish deciding whether it would make a good refuge, a particularly large pirate went barreling past. Failing to get completely out of the way, she and another unfortunate someone, were flung backwards through the tarp.

As she regained her bearings in the tent, Rynata realized worriedly that she was not alone. In addition to the stranger who also seemed to be recovering from his fall, there were other voices behind them.

What seemed to be a mismatching but deeply infatuated couple were engaged in a conversation so all consuming that they didn’t appear to have noticed the intrusion. At least, Rynata thought their exchange qualified as conversation. Though her family had ensured she was literate, she found that she could barely understand the language in which the young man spoke. The girl seemed to be in a similar predicament, though she seemed far more pleased about it. While she didn’t manage to put together everything, Rynata concluded that she knew enough from the two different pirate crew specific attires the two love birds wore.

Rynata grinned sheepishly, embarrassed for the teenagers as the man beside her expressed his disgust. The display was indeed horrifying. However, it was horrifying in a way that one couldn’t tear their eyes away from the honeyed spectacle. What they had wasn’t sensible, but then again, she had always been told that to be in love wasn’t what someone did to be sensible. These two were sweet in their strange way, but they needed the entire Hollow Sea to water it down.

Watching the disaster, it hadn’t occurred to Rynata that she should have made her exit until something from outside the tent burst open over her head. Now drenched in what she hoped was simple flour and discovered by the young pair, Rynata gave a quick look toward her unlucky companion and back toward the murderous Romera.

“Ah, young love! How... lovely,” Rynata coughed, a puff of white powder avalanching off her head. Her eyes darted to the monstrous mace across the younger girl’s shoulder and then to Julius’ pale visage. In order to escape being forever silenced to keep the couple’s secret she felt she needed to convince Romera’s mace arm. Hopefully gentle Julius would help disuade his sweetheart from bloodshed. Covered in a plume of flour, Rynata stepped in front of the defensive stranger, drawing on her best poetic flourish.

Forgive two humble sailors
We meant not to intrude.
The scallywag retailers?
We’ll keep you from their feud.

“Don’t worry, I’m just a poor, cursed soul, and it wouldn’t bring me any joy to come between you two.” Rynata hacked dramatically. Partly because she was acting and also because speaking had landed her with flour in her throat. “Your secret is safe with me.”
word count: 520
Tio Silver
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:42 pm

For a second it seemed like Romera was going to flatten the both of them into thin, bloody pancakes. With a single arm that barely shook with effort she raised her monstrously large mace above her head, ready to strike, but stopped as a hand touched her shoulder. Julius had stopped her, and with a slight shake of his head motioned for her to put her weapon away.

"Hark sweet dove, return thy steel to thy side. I sense in the verse of the flour-wreathed femme the heart of a poet, one who shall surely share sympathy with our plight. Let words be our weapon; for tis better to make an ally than an enemy."

Romera, who it must be noted looked very eager for a fight, pouted in disappointment and slowly slipped her mace back into its holder. "Fine... fine... but if they look for a second like they're gonna cause trouble I'm gonna crush their f**king bones into flour." She turned and strode over to a barrel to sit down on, pointedly looking away from the two intruders.

Julius faced Mute and Rynata and shot them a small apologetic look. "I pray thee forgive my love. The passion of warriors, hot and hearty, flows through her veins like the infernos of Faldrun. She means well, but is ever quick to rally the banners of battle." He darted over to the door flap and took a quick peek at the bedlam outside, as if afraid someone would come and interrupt at any second. "Time has worn roughly against ours wills of late; it grates our nerves and calls us to jitters. Oh, but that we could be freed from this cursed fate! That we could rest by the side of the moon's light once more! Perhaps you two travelers could relieve us this burden?"

"Oh Julius, your words are as sweet as a cold rum after a bar fight." Romera sighed, a clear swoon in the undercurrent of her voice. Her head whipped back to glare at Mute and Rynata. "In case ya didn't get that, he's asking for your help. I mean..." she looked away, embarrassed, "we're asking for your help. I'm Romera Pale, the daughter of the captain of the Pale Cut crew. Julius here is the heir of the Gemanout family. They were the two groups that started the fight going on outside earlier. As you can tell they really aren't very keen on each other; in fact they've been sworn enemies for more years than the two of us have been alive, and they wind up fighting literally every time they cross paths. As you've seen Julius and I are kinda an item, but we've been keeping it a secret since the beginning because we know that if we try to explain things to our families it's gonna finally push them over the edge. They'll fight and fight until one of our families is dead, and neither of us could bear to see that happen."

"But you could help us!" Julius announced excitedly, bounding back over to them like an excited puppy and clasping his hands around their shoulders. "The gods have sent thee to aid us, I feel it in my marrow! There must be some way we can end this! Some way we can be happy! I beg of you, if you hold any value in the weight of the heart please find some way to save us!"

It seemed that the two lovers were desperate for help, desperate enough to put their trust in two people they'd never met before. Hope shined unabashedly in Julius' bright blue eyes, and Romera couldn't resist shooting them quick, anticipative glances whenever she thought they weren't looking. They needed an out; but could the two heroes provide one?
Off Topic
Apologies for the terrible attempt at Shakespearean language. Hopefully Julius' meaning still comes across clearly enough.

We've now reach a special point in the thread, as you guys get to decide where the story goes next. These two need a plan in order to live happily ever after without sparking a bloodbath between their families, and will listen to anything you suggest. If you guys have any plans of your own now is the time to suggest them. If not, ask Julius if he has any ideas and I'll suggest a few routes you might like to take.

I would appreciate it if you could post before October 12rd. I'll get the next post up a couple of days after you both have.
word count: 782
Mute
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:58 pm

"Silence Reigns . . ."

Conversations, I had decided long ago, were a magic in and of itself. It wasn't necessary what was said--though I could not deny that that appealed to me as well--but how it was said. One's heritage, faith, knowledge and experience could all be discerned by the well-trained ear from the words chosen by the ever-processing mind. Which word do I use here? Should I say more or less? Decision were made in the matter of trills in a never ceasing river that was the person. It was a great disability at times that I myself could not express myself in such a way, but thankfully Idalos was overflowing with alternatives.

And this Julius, heir to the Gemanout family, was quite the specimen. His dialect was unlike many I had come across in my arcs, though that wasn't saying much given my limited experience with the world. Still, it was a striking contrast to the curt, coarse language that I was used to hearing in Almund. Romera, daughter of the Pale, would not have stood out at all in that town but her lover was an auditory blemish in the scarred linguistics on Scalvoris Town. I understood in theory that regionalism and isolation within a population could lead to the development of unique speech patterns, perhaps even new languages. With that in mind, it made sense that a seafaring pirate who spent significant amounts of time on a ship away from people outside of his crew could develop a dialect such as his.

Or, I admitted to myself, Julius could just be a weird kid.

Still, the genuineness of the couple's attraction to one another struck a cord within my psyche. My repulsion was still present at the gag-inducing flirtations I had borne witness to, but that was shoved aside by a desire to help the kids. It helped that I had a low opinion on parents and the meddling they often had in children's lives. I disliked the expectation that these two were expected to fight for the betterment of the family, but the family in turn would not aid in the betterment of their own lives. Individuality overwhelmed in an attack from familial obligation felt too much like forced faith to my liking, so the decision was easy.

It also helped that I wanted Romera's mace fighting with me instead of against.

Julius had already checked the main entrance to the tent flap and found it a dangerous route given the brawl happening outside, but what about the back? We were on the corner of the bazaar, so there was a possibility that if we cut through the canvas on the back wall, we could exit the bazaar and head elsewhere into the city where an escape route could be developed without warring families rioting all around us. Crossing the tent, I gestured to the wall while staring at Julius, cutting down the cloth with my fingers to offer my thoughts on the situation. Hopefully between the flour-coated woman and the two lovers, someone would understand my intent.

Perhaps, in a way I too could snatch a sliver of this magic too.
word count: 537
Rynata
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:53 pm

Breathing a sigh of relief now that Romera seemed ready to spare them the mace, Rynata looked a bit sheepishly at the giddy Julius. The teenager with fancy words bounced up and down, shaking her shoulders.

"I don't know about the part about gods, but if you insist, I suppose we could help you," Rynata said, glancing over at the silent man. He hadn't said a word up until now, but was now pointing toward the back of the tent. Yes, they couldn't remain in the small tent forever. Escape sounded like a good idea. However, there was the matter of what they would do once free of the temporary shelter.

Curling her fingers under her chin, Rynata looked down at flour covered ground. Two heirs of two feuding families. Deeply in love. A problem, but also a solution. This could be an opportunity to put an end to continuous violence such as the one now errupting outside.

"There has to be some way to convince your families to stop fighting," Rynata said, looking between the two love birds. "Something that brings them together. Once relations improve, it shouldn't be a problem to continue your relationship, yes? Any ideas that come to mind?"

"Until then, it might be safe to keep up the act that you two are mortal enemies. And we had better get out of this mess before we're discovered," she added, gesturing toward the man looking toward them from the back of the tent.

Pulling her dagger from her side, Rynata put her ear to the cloth of the tent before bringing the blade down across the fabric.
word count: 284
Tio Silver
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:40 pm

Despite how vastly different the two lovebirds were both in appearance and personality, the grimace that crossed their faces when Rynata asked in there was something that could bring their families together was nigh identical. It was as if they'd both been forced to drink a rotten egg and pepper smoothie. "Bring them together? Why, thou might as well seek to pair the sun with the moon, or bid the ocean rise and serenade the sky." Julius sighed, casting a downward glance at the ground. "I fear that na'er will the they find a common ground, for whatever one praises the other mocks simply for spite."

"Aye... they wont even drink a brand of rum the other has been seen drinking. It's kinda childish really, but nobody has the guts 'ta say it to their faces." Romera added. Suddenly she raised an eyebrow curiously. "Well actually... they do both really love cannons. I mean really, really love them. They must each have over a hundred guns 'ta their name. Unfortunately the main reason they love 'em so much is 'cause they want to shoot them at each other all the time. Come to think 'a it there's an underground arms dealin' auction tomorrow with a twenty pound gun up for sale, and the Pale Cut's are attendin'.

The moment she said that Julius' head whipped around in shock, his eyes nearly bulging out of his sockets. "The one at the Kennels? Fie, what fresh curse be this! My family too shall attend that fair! With blades a'bare! I need not be an oracle to forsee a storm of blood on the horizon!"

"Oracles... Hold on, there's been talk of a priest of Ziell hanging around by the Glass Tree recently. The Sage of the Seasons they call him. If anyone can help us find peace they could!" Romera replied. "Although I've also heard that they're a complete weirdo. Apparently he gave these two lovers this idea to fake their deaths by drinking some potion that put 'em in a deathly sleep, but forgot to tell one of 'em the plan. They both ended up thinkin' the other was dead and committed suicide. Maybe we should give him a miss. There must be other people around town who could help."

Then Rynata gestured to Mute at the other end of the tent, and the two of them turned to see the motion Mute was making. "Ah, I see what ya mean. Yeah we should get outta before we're seen." Romera remarked as she unhooked her spiked mace and strode to the other side of the room. She dug one spike into the tent wall and tore a man-sized hole in it. "Where can we go? You two lead the way."
Off Topic
So there we have it: one trial to find a solution before the massacre at the cannon auction begins. You guys can lead the lovers to any location in Almund you want, and are free to rope in any of the city NPC's if you think they might help. There's also the option of finding this 'Sage of the Seasons' at the Glass Tree.

Your challenge this time is to come up with a funny way for the four of you to sneak out of the bazaar unnoticed. Feel free to assume that the pirates are stupid and distracted enough to overlook blindingly obvious things or fall for really obvious tricks.

I would appreciate it if you could post before October 24th. I'll get the next post up a couple of days after you both have.
word count: 615

Return to “Almund”