• Solo • [Egilrun] Flying Wonders

Lei'lira meets a new kind of horse.

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Lei'lira
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Farmer
Renown: 267
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 8

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

[Egilrun] Flying Wonders

35th Ymiden, 718

The lure was simply too great to resist. Winged horses...horses that could fly. To Lei'lira, it sounded as if someone had taken a creature out of her fondest dreams, and gave it life. She had first heard of the Scalvwing Steeds from Kura. Sort of. The politician had mentioned the name Scalvwing, but not told her what it was. But she was curious enough about why the woman thought she would like them enough to ask some of the people who lived near her in Beacon. That was how she had learned that the Scalvwing Steeds were winged horses. And that in turn had made it a goal in her mind. She was going to see these Scalvwing Steeds with her own eyes, and buy as many as she could reasonably afford if it was possible to buy them.

Fortunately, the people she had spoken to loved horses almost as much as she did. Because of that, they had found out about a ranch in Egilrun where Scalvwing Steeds could be found. That series of events had led her here, in the hopes of seeing the magnificent creatures for herself. And she wasn't disappointed. The sight that greeted her was a large fenced in pasture where several Scalvwing Steeds were grazing, their wings folded neatly on their backs since they weren't being used. Some of them were the usual colors you might expect to see in horses; blacks, greys, whites and varying shades in between. But she also saw some deep blues, greens, and purples mixed among them. It was as if someone had come along and dumped paint on some of them. But in a strange way, the colors seemed to suit them.

How are they able to fly? Lei'lira wondered as she watched them in awe.

Birds are able to fly because they have hollow bones that make them light enough that they can fly.

Lei'lira could remember learning that fact in class clearly. It was brutally hot because it had been in the middle of Saun. Even the pranksters of the class had been well behaved...if only because it was too hot for them to do anything. The teacher's voice had droned on, putting many of her classmates to sleep. But she had been fascinated by the lecture. Birds were beautiful creatures, even if they weren't as beautiful as horses. As a child, Lei'lira had loved watching them flit about the yard as they went about their lives. And even now, she loved listening to their songs. So learning about them in class had been especially interesting to her at the time.

As Lei'lira continued to watch the Scalvwing Steeds, it dawned on her.

These Scalvwings can't have hollow bones. If they did, their own weight would break their bones because of how big they are. But if their bones were lighter...less dense than a normal horse's bones would be...that, added to the size of their wings must be what allows something that big to fly! she realized.

An amused chuckling startled Lei'lira out of her thoughts. A man and a woman approached them. When Lei'lira tensed at the sight of the strange man, Teia rested her hand on her arm in a calming gesture. It helped. The woman looked familiar, and Lei'lira's eyes widened as she recognized her.

"Jayna?" she asked in confusion.

The woman nodded.

"And you're Lei'lira, right? Are those your kids, or your friend's?"

It was Lei'lira's turn to nod. She started to answer the question, but didn't get the chance to finish.

"I thought it was you! Are you still as horse crazy as ever?"

Lei'lira grinned at her former classmate, and nodded again.

"What brings you here?"

"Here" meant Scalvoris since the last time Lei'lira had seen Jayna was when they had graduated from school together. That had been many arcs ago, and back in Warrick, not here of all places.

"My husband and I moved to Scalvoris Town three arcs ago. Our farm hadn't been doing well for several arcs before that, and we finally decided that it was time for us to move on and try something new. We're both in the Elements now. And if "here" was supposed to mean this ranch, I was looking into the possibility of buying a couple of Scalvwing Steeds for Ridnar and I to use as mounts for work." Jayna explained.

Then she hesitated.

"And if I still know anything about you, you were trying to figure out how a "horse" can fly, right?"

Lei'lira simply nodded.

"Well, the first thing you need to know is that Scalvwing Steeds aren't horses. They might look like flying horses, but they aren't quite the same. More like cousins of a sort. One of the biggest differences is that their bones are less dense than a horse's are. Not hollow like a bird's, but definitely lighter. That's what allows them to fly. And to answer your next question before you ask, they are able to fly for extended periods of time, not just short bursts. If the latter were true, we couldn't use them as winged mounts for the Elements."

Lei'lira considered what she had learned carefully while Jayna completed her business at the ranch, and took her leave.

Off Topic
This post covers the following challenges:

Creation Challenges

7. Have your character create a short term goal and then reach said goal by the end of the event.

Story Challenges

1. Have your character encounter a unique regional-specific fauna.

3. Have your PC visit a unique location within their city and meet someone they didn't expect to see there! (This can be PC or NPC and may be someone they know or a stranger.)

Growth Challenges

9. Use a moment from your character’s past to learn something new about to-trial!
word count: 1016
Lei'lira
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: [Egilrun] Flying Wonders

The man, who appeared to be the owner of the ranch looked Lei'lira, and Teia over with a skeptical eye as he eyed the three kids with them.

"It's pretty obvious that you like horses, and that you're interested in my Scalvwing Steeds. Are you any good with them? Horses, that is. By your expression, I can tell that you've never seen a Scalvwing Steed before.

Lei'lira simply nodded.

"I'm a farmer, but I raise horses for a living."

"Hmm."

The man hesitated.

"Tell you what, then. I'm real short handed around the ranch. If you give me a hand this trial, and prove to me that you can learn how to take care of my beauties here as they should be, then I'll give you the chance to buy some if that's what you're hoping for." he said gruffly.

Lei'lira jumped at the chance. Just learning about these beautiful creatures, and getting the chance to work with them would be a wonderful experience. Getting to buy some...well, Lei'lira would be lying to herself if she said that she hadn't been hoping for the opportunity to do so. But she hadn't really expected that she would get it.

"What can I do to help?" she asked eagerly.

The man grinned at her.

"I was hoping that you would say that. Why don't we start with grooming these ones? I have more of them in other pastures if I haven't scared you away by the time we finish with these."

They got to work. Before the man even let Lei'lira touch the brushes they would need to groom the Scalvwing Steeds, he made her watch him do one by himself. In many ways, it was much like grooming a horse. But the Scalvwing Steed's wings needed careful tending, and Lei'lira paid very close attention so she could learn how to do it herself. Once the ranch owner was satisfied that she knew what she was doing, they began to work together.

"Why don't they just fly out of this pasture when they want to?" Lei'lira asked curiously as she was moving the curry comb she was using in gentle circles over the back of the mare she was grooming.

"See the tarp I have attached to those poles?" he asked as he gestured at one of four poles that were staked to the ground outside the fence; one at each corner.

The poles held a tarp several feet above the entire pasture making what looked almost like an open air stable of sorts. There was room for the Scalvwing Steeds to stick their heads over the fence, but she didn't think they could fit between the top of the fence, and the "roof" over the pasture if they decided to fly away. That wouldn't stop them from going through the tarp, though. It certainly didn't look strong enough to hold a Scalvwing Steed if it was determined to fly away.

"Yes, but that isn't strong enough to keep them in the pasture if they want out, is it?" she asked.

"No...but it doesn't have to be. See...Scalvwing Steeds don't usually challenge something they "know." They're like horses in that. When they're foals, I put them in pastures like this one, and keep them tied up so they can't fly off."

Lei'lira frowned, and started to say something, but the man waved her off.

"It doesn't hurt them none. I make sure that they have plenty of room to walk or run. They just can't take it into their heads to fly off. Even if they manage to free themselves from the rope, they need a running start to be able to take to the air. The tarp isn't strong enough to restrain a fully grown Scalvwing Steed, but it will hold a foal. They grow up thinking they can't fly our of there, so as adults, they don't even try."

It was a neat trick of the trade, and an important one for Lei'lira to know if she was planning to buy some Scalvwing Steeds when she was done working for the trial.

"What else can you tell me about them?" Lei'lira asked as she finished grooming the mare she had been working on, and moved onto another.

"Scalvwings live to be about thirty arcs old. They can get skittish if they aren't fed when they're used to getting fed. More so than would be normal for a skittish equine. And perhaps most importantly, they need to bond to their owner and really learn to trust them before they will let you fly with them. If you try to ride them while they are flying before you earn their trust, well...it won't end well. If you're lucky, they will just throw you; if not...they will wait to throw you until you're twenty feet up."

Lei'lira winced at the thought. They continued to work in silence for a while. As they did, Lei'lira felt a plan of sorts begin to solidify in her mind. She had wanted a horse breeding ranch of her own for as long as she could remember. And one of the dreams she had for that ranch was to become known for creating her own breed of horse. The idea had been in the back of her mind for...well...almost forever. Even as a child, it was something that she wanted to do. But until recently, it had been just that; a dream. Now that she was going to be moving into a much bigger farm when she returned to Rharne, though...her dreams of owning a breeding ranch weren't so far away anymore. And creating her own breed of horses was starting to look like more of a possibility than a dream as well. She already owned a variety of breeds of horses, including several desert breeds. What if she could create a breed of horses that had some of the qualities she liked in the desert breeds she owned that was more suited to the more temperate climate of Rharne? With the farm she was going to be moving into when she returned to Rharne, it was certainly possible for her to try such an endeavor. And if she could add Scalvwing Steeds to the mix, and try to breed their lighter bones into her own breed, it might help her to create a faster breed of horses. At the very least, it was worth a try.

Off Topic

Creation Challenges

3. Write a thread where your pc starts to plan / plot or put in place something for their future.

Growth Challenges

2. Have your character learn a trick of a trade from another person (PC or NPC).
Last edited by Lei'lira on Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 1176
Lei'lira
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Once they had finished grooming all of the Scalvwing Steeds, the ranch owner asked Lei'lira if she was done for the trial, or if she would be willing to help him muck out their stalls as well. It was a test, of course, and Lei'lira recognized it as such. If she said that she was done for the trial, the ranch owner would be well within his rights to tell her that she hadn't done enough to earn the right to buy his Scalvwing Steeds. And mucking out stalls was the kind of work that many would be happy to avoid doing if it were possible to get out of it. But cleaning a horse's stall was a vital part of taking proper care of it. So ducking out of the unpleasant work would show that she couldn't be relied on to take proper care of any Scalvwing Steeds she might be allowed to buy. And that was where the trap lay.

"I would be happy to help you muck out the stalls." Lei'lira said simply.

The man gave her an odd look, but took her at her word as he led her to the stable. He was about to start in on the first stall, but Lei'lira stopped him. When he looked at her with a frown, she explained.

"If you take the horses out of a stable one by one so you can muck out their stalls, you risk upsetting the one who remain with the noise you make while working. I can only imagine that the same would be the case with Scalvwing Steeds as well."

He nodded slowly.

"But if you take them all out at once and put them in a pasture where they can graze in peace while you muck out the stalls, not only will you avoid disturbing them, you give them some time to socialized with the members of their herd, and enjoy themselves grazing at the same time."

The ranch owner grinned and nodded in understanding.

"You're right. We'll do it your way." he said.

He showed her where he wanted to keep the Scalvwing Steeds while they mucked out their stalls, and they began the task of bringing the animals out to the pasture. Once that was done, they started in on the real work. The ranch owner told her all sorts of stories while they worked. It helped to pass the time, and make a tedious task less so. Lei'lira was surprised to realize that while she had been nervous around the man in the beginning, she had managed to relax completely around him while they worked. Perhaps it was the work itself that had helped her to forget that he was a man that she didn't know. Or perhaps a bond of sorts had formed between them over a common love for the magnificent Scalvwing Steeds and made him feel less threatening than she would have otherwise found him. Either way, she was happy to find that his presence didn't make her nervous at all. That was a good thing since Teia had been able to linger nearby in case she needed her while they were grooming the Scalvwing Steeds, she wasn't able to do the same while they were mucking out stalls; it was no place for kids as young as Kaien and the twins were.

They were just finishing up the last couple of stalls when they heard a cry of alarm.

"That's Teia!" Lei'lira cried worriedly as she ran towards the sound of the cry.

The ranch owner was close behind her. The scene that greeted them when they arrived was chaos. Two men had managed to get a rope around the neck of one of the Scalvwing Steeds. Their intention to steal the mare was clear. The rest of the Scalvwing Steeds were calling out in distress as they raced around the pasture. Teia clearly wanted to help, but she had her hands full with three chlidren. It was all she could do to retreat and keep them out of harm's way.

The owner of the ranch shouted a battle cry, and charged at the thieves. Lei'lira froze, desperately trying to fight off a panic attack. It was too much. Too much noise. Too much anger and violence. Her heart pounded painfully in her chest as she gasped for air. Her chest felt tight, and no matter how hard she tried to breathe, it felt as though all of the air had fled the area. Everything began to fade away as the world began to grow dark around her.

It was the terrified cry of the Scalvwing mare that brought her back to awareness. The ranch owner was still trying to fight the would be thieves, but one had pulled out a knife, and appeared to be very skilled with it. Even to Lei'lira's untrained eyes, it was obvious who the winner was going to be. But the thieves were occupied with the ranch owner, and trying to keep the mare under control.

A small but sturdy looking branch lay nearby where it had fallen from its tree. Lei'lira inched her way over to it while everyone else was occupied, and scooped it up. As the fight continued, she tried to circle around behind the man who was holding onto the Scalvwing mare. Her work was made easier by the fact that his attention was torn between watching the fight, and trying to keep the mare under control. Lei'lira edged closer. Her foot made a rustling sound when she accidentally stepped on some dry grass. She froze in terror, but luck was with her; the man didn't seem to hear her.

When she was close enough, she raised the branch up. Using it like a club, she brought it down on the man's head and shoulders with as much strength as she could manage. He dropped the rope, and the mare took the opportunity to flee. But although he cried out in pain and anger, he didn't seem to be injured. He pulled out a knife of his own, and began advancing on Lei'lira.

"Watch out, Lei'lira!" Teia cried in alarm.

Lei'lira felt sick. She was so terrified that she felt faint. This man was going to kill her. He grinned, clearly thinking her too frightened to resist. She swung the branch as hard as she could, catching him in the chest. He fell back with a cry of rage. He started to get up again, only to freeze when an commanding shout filled the air.

"Stop where you are!"

Lei'lira turned instinctively, and saw that Jayna had returned and had a sword drawn on the thief she had been fighting.

Where did she get that? Lei'lira wondered in shock.

The fight was over in bits. Jayna had the man Lei'lira had been trying to subdue under control before he even had a chance to get back to his feet. And a man that Lei'lira guessed must be her husband had ended the fight between the ranch owner and the other thief.

"You're lucky that Sandris wanted to come see the Scalvwing Steeds for himself, Lei'lira. That branch might have bought you a little time, but it would have splintered under the force of a blow strong enough to do any real damage."

Lei'lira trembled with shock as she nodded. Jayna gave her a stern look. Then she grinned at her former classmate.

"Still...you did manage to stop that man from stealing a valuable animal. And your attempts to stop him bought enough time for someone who knows what they're doing in a fight to hear the commotion and get here. You should feel proud of yourself for that much."

Lei'lira smiled weakly as she struggled not to fall into hysteria. After Jayna and her husband took the two thieves into custody and left, the ranch owner turned to Lei'lira.

"If you're still interested in buying some of my Scalvwing Steeds, I'd say that you've more than earned the right to do so."

If? There was no if involved. Of course she still wanted to buy some!

"How much are you selling them for?" she asked.

The man grinned at her.

"Adults are five hundred gold nels if you want an untrained Scalvwing Steed, or a thousand gold nels for a trained one. Foals are two hundred fifty gold nels. And I won't dell you any stallions or colts. Just the mares, geldings, and fillies."

Lei'lira nodded, deep in thought as she added up how many nels she could afford to spend. She finally decided on buying two trained mares, and six untrained mares for a total of five thousand gold nels. After handing the owner of the ranch his money, she happily began the task of selecting which mares she wanted.

Off Topic

Creation Challenges

9. Create a tense/awkward situation that your character has to manage to get through somehow by using a skill they've never used / have no points in.

(using Axe/Bludgeon with her tree branch turned club)

Story Challenges

9. Save an animal/or any being of any race from anything from theft, to death.

Growth Challenges

1. Have your character teach a trick of their trade to another person (PC or NPC).

The cost of the 8 Scalvwing Steeds (2 trained, 6 untrained for 5000 GN) has been deducted from my ledger.
word count: 1620
Oberan
Peer Reviewer
Peer Reviewer
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Full time nuisance
Renown: 292
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Review Rewards

Lei'horse

Points awarded: 10

Knowledge:

Animal Husbandry; Scalvwing Steeds: get skittish if not fed
Animal Husbandry; Scalvwing Steeds: can fly for extended periods of time; their bones are less dense like a bird's are to make them light enough to allow them to fly
Animal Husbandry; Scalvwing Steeds: how to groom them properly
Animal Husbandry; Scalvwing Steeds: look like horses, but aren't quite the same
Animal Husbandry; Scalvwing Steeds: lifespan approximately 30 arcs
Animal Training; Scalvwing Steeds: they need to bond to their owner and really learn to trust them before they will let you fly with them

Egilrun: home of a ranch that raises and sells Scalvwing Steeds

Magic: No magic exp

Other: + Scalvwings! +5 fame.

Notes:
Very informative, as always. I can tell you either really like horses IRL and maybe work with them, or that you've done a lot of research into them. It really bleeds into your threads in the form of detail you provide.

Your review request is =https://www.standingtrials.com/viewtop ... p96734here.
Please include the following stamp to your review request:

Code: Select all

[center][img]https://www.standingtrials.com/gallery/image/15001/medium[/img][/center]
If you have any questions, comments or concerns in regards to this review, feel free to PM.
word count: 216
Just because I shouldn't doesn't mean I won't.

Mortalborn Abilities | Die Roller | Capstones
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”