• Closed • The Strangest Funeral in Idalos

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus, Ghoul, Vorpal

Mute
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

The Strangest Funeral in Idalos

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:15 pm

"Silence Reigns . . ."

YMIDEN 49, 718
The Glass Temple

The contrast was striking, I thought, between the dark, somber clothing of the guests and the bright, vibrant light that bled through the floor-to-ceiling windows of the Temple. It was if life was sending a message: mourning was appropriate, but only when done with the acceptance that the whole world had not gone dark. Life went on. There would be a whiter tomorrow. Take this opportunity to relish in the good memories, forgive the bad ones, and be just a little better when you walk out of those doors for the next time. This way of thinking comforted some, there was no denying that.

There were others, however, who were not so naive.

The brother--Flea, he was known as by many of the more scholarly residents of Scalvoris Town--was one such individual. At least, that was the sentiment I had gathered in the last few trials, ever since I had heard of the 'violent' murder of Caz, the Scholar Nook's owner and proprietor. But, then again, weren't all murders? Regardless, the word was that the man was not particularly happy with the Element's handling of the investigation and it was expected, at some point that he would make a scene. It helped that there was a healthy number of soldiers attending the funeral, in uniform and dressed in plain clothes, scattered about the room. It was widely known that the Temple was not a place for violence, but it didn't hurt to prepare for the worst. Still, it was obvious that their presence was not well appreciated and that sentiment, more than likely, would be known before too long.

And my morbid curiosity had drawn me into the midst of it, seated near the back of the Temple. I was, after all, a student of emotion and a funeral seemed a perfect opportunity to explore the psyches of a larger crowd than before. Specifically, there was one technique in mind that I was interested in testing out, if given the chance. Beyond that, the gathering was an opportunity to learn a little bit more about the state of the Town. If there was anti-Element feelings in play to-trial, who knew what else might pop up when emotions were high? Everything I had heard up to this point was second-hand. If anything was going to happen here, I wanted to be there to witness it. My only fear was that I would seem out of place here, given that I had never once met the deceased or her family. Thankfully, I had brought a companion that would, hopefully, fit right in.

He was a priest, after all.
Devin
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Thief
Renown: +185
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: The Strangest Funeral in Idalos

Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:07 am

The Glass Temple was really pretty, Devin thought as he took a look around. Maybe he’d buy a few stained-glass windows for his shrine as well – or steal them in order to save some money. He wondered if anybody watched the place at night. He couldn’t see any guards. On second thought, the windows were kind of big though, and he wasn’t sure how he’d be able to remove them from their frames without them breaking, besides, he needed to do something that required his entire attention that trial. Mute had finally called in that favour. He’d been worried that it would be something demeaning, but he just wanted him to help investigate a murder which actually sounded kind of fun.

Since his companion with the rather uncreative name (Mute was really mute) wanted him to attend the funeral of the victim in his role as a priest, Devin had put on a shimmering silk robe. Apparently, the man thought that having a religious official by his side might help. The thief struggled somewhat to maintain an appropriately somber expression since he found the funeral quite fascinating. He had never attended a funeral before, apart from his mad grandmother’s, but he had been too young to remember that. He also wondered if Mute had a plan and came to the conclusion, that if he had one, he hadn’t deemed it necessary to share it with him which was why he leaned over to him and whispered,

“How shall we go about it? Maybe we could just approach Flea and pay our condolences – and ask him if he wants us to make an offering to the Immortals in his name? You can pretend to be my acolyte”, he informed him.

Return to “Scalvoris Town”