• Closed • The Strangest Funeral in Idalos

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus, Vorpal, Ghoul

Mute
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 1

Contribution

The Strangest Funeral in Idalos

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:15 pm

"Silence Reigns . . ."

YMIDEN 49, 718
The Glass Temple

The contrast was striking, I thought, between the dark, somber clothing of the guests and the bright, vibrant light that bled through the floor-to-ceiling windows of the Temple. It was if life was sending a message: mourning was appropriate, but only when done with the acceptance that the whole world had not gone dark. Life went on. There would be a whiter tomorrow. Take this opportunity to relish in the good memories, forgive the bad ones, and be just a little better when you walk out of those doors for the next time. This way of thinking comforted some, there was no denying that.

There were others, however, who were not so naive.

The brother--Flea, he was known as by many of the more scholarly residents of Scalvoris Town--was one such individual. At least, that was the sentiment I had gathered in the last few trials, ever since I had heard of the 'violent' murder of Caz, the Scholar Nook's owner and proprietor. But, then again, weren't all murders? Regardless, the word was that the man was not particularly happy with the Element's handling of the investigation and it was expected, at some point that he would make a scene. It helped that there was a healthy number of soldiers attending the funeral, in uniform and dressed in plain clothes, scattered about the room. It was widely known that the Temple was not a place for violence, but it didn't hurt to prepare for the worst. Still, it was obvious that their presence was not well appreciated and that sentiment, more than likely, would be known before too long.

And my morbid curiosity had drawn me into the midst of it, seated near the back of the Temple. I was, after all, a student of emotion and a funeral seemed a perfect opportunity to explore the psyches of a larger crowd than before. Specifically, there was one technique in mind that I was interested in testing out, if given the chance. Beyond that, the gathering was an opportunity to learn a little bit more about the state of the Town. If there was anti-Element feelings in play to-trial, who knew what else might pop up when emotions were high? Everything I had heard up to this point was second-hand. If anything was going to happen here, I wanted to be there to witness it. My only fear was that I would seem out of place here, given that I had never once met the deceased or her family. Thankfully, I had brought a companion that would, hopefully, fit right in.

He was a priest, after all.
word count: 455
Devin
Approved Character
Profession: Thief
Renown: +230
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 4

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: The Strangest Funeral in Idalos

Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:07 am

The Glass Temple was really pretty, Devin thought as he took a look around. Maybe he’d buy a few stained-glass windows for his shrine as well – or steal them in order to save some money. He wondered if anybody watched the place at night. He couldn’t see any guards. On second thought, the windows were kind of big though, and he wasn’t sure how he’d be able to remove them from their frames without them breaking, besides, he needed to do something that required his entire attention that trial. Mute had finally called in that favour. He’d been worried that it would be something demeaning, but he just wanted him to help investigate a murder which actually sounded kind of fun.

Since his companion with the rather uncreative name (Mute was really mute) wanted him to attend the funeral of the victim in his role as a priest, Devin had put on a shimmering silk robe. Apparently, the man thought that having a religious official by his side might help. The thief struggled somewhat to maintain an appropriately somber expression since he found the funeral quite fascinating. He had never attended a funeral before, apart from his mad grandmother’s, but he had been too young to remember that. He also wondered if Mute had a plan and came to the conclusion, that if he had one, he hadn’t deemed it necessary to share it with him which was why he leaned over to him and whispered,

“How shall we go about it? Maybe we could just approach Flea and pay our condolences – and ask him if he wants us to make an offering to the Immortals in his name? You can pretend to be my acolyte”, he informed him.
word count: 311
Mute
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:48 am

"Silence Reigns . . ."

I uncrossed my legs, careful not to step on the hem of my companion's gaudy robe that billowed out beside me. It was hardly the most appropriate fashion for such a somber occasion, but then again Devin did not seem like a man who quite understood sadness; his vanity would not allow it. The priest had barely looked away from the windows since we had entered the Glass Temple, enamored by some indiscernible attribute. Or, perhaps, it was his reflection in them that had so seized his imagination. I did not dare nudge him lest my elbow slipped when impacting the smooth silk and striking higher or lower than initially intended. As humorous as that would have been, I did not want to make a scene. So I bid my time observing the crowd until Devin finally returned to reality from whatever stained-glass fantasy he had been in.

The priest's suggested course, unsurprisingly, was one of direct interaction. Want to learn about a murder? Well let's just go ask the person most affected by it. Save, of course, for the victim. Still, it wasn't the worst idea Devin had had in the short time I had known him, though I was not too keen on the acolyte bit. I didn't know the first about being a follower of Delroth besides being pretentious, but with my companion center stage, I had no doubt that I would go unnoticed in his shadow.

"After," I signed as I gestured to the front of the room. A small Tunawa was clambering up a marble podium and the crowd had begun to take their seats in response to his movement. Moving to one of the back rows, I grabbed one of the center seats, leaving space on the aisle for Devin to join me. Hopefully he wouldn't try to climb over me to take a seat in the middle as well. He'd likely fall and then I would be forced to see he believed silk was the best option for all articles of clothing.

"Before we begin the service," the Tunawa began, his voice carrying in the space despite his small stature, "I would like to offer the opportunity for a member in the crowd to open us in prayer. The deceased, Miss Caz, always believed in an open forum and wished for her funeral to be different."

I glanced at Devin, hoping for all of our sake that he was looking out the window again. Because if he wasn't, I was afraid this was an opportunity right up his alley . . .
word count: 437
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:44 pm

As the little Tunawa climbed onto the podium, Devin just stared. A million thoughts were going through his mind, most of them rather criminal. While the majority of the citizens of Scalvoris saw Tunawa as people, he saw them as something to make money with, and he was thinking about all the nels that he’d get if he became a slaver and started selling Tunawa as pets to the rich – until he realized that the inhabitants of this island seemed to have a problem with slavery, mostly due to his acquaintance Faith. Oh well …

Since his dreams of becoming a rich and fearsome slaver had been crushed before he had even started to realize them, he followed Mute to one of the back rows. Once the man had taken a seat, Devin moved towards him, wondering if he should ask him to stand up for a moment or just climb across his lap before he decided to take the aisle seat because he wasn’t really interested in either option. The aisle seat was the best seat anyway because he’d be able to run quickly in case something unforeseen happened.

In spite of having been a priest for several ten-trials now, Devin had never been involved in a religious ceremony, and his prayers had mostly involved him telling Delroth that he was awesome and that his domains were awesome as well, but he wasn’t concerned about his lack of experience at all. When the Tunawa asked for a member of the crowd to speak, he immediately got up and marched to the front of the room because he absolutely loved being in the spotlight.

“Devin Thorn, priest of Delroth”, he introduced himself, in case these people didn’t know his name yet because they absolutely needed to know his name in his opinion. “I don’t think that Caz and I ever exchanged more than a handful of words, but she still played a big part in my life. I came to the Scholar’s Nook quite frequently to read or enjoy a bit of the famous cake. Caz’ death has affected me, as it has affected you all, and I want nothing more than justice, for her sake as well as for the sake of her brother who is here with us. For now, let us pray to the Immortals though for we come here to-trial with great sadness in our hearts at the death of a woman who was taken from us in such a tragic way and long before her time.”

“Immortals, give us strength in the coming trials, protect Caz’ soul in the Beneath so that she doesn’t have to suffer any more and judge her fairly”,
he spoke. He was, he had to admit, quite proud of the little speech that he had come up with. Why, he had sounded like an actual priest who had studied that kind of stuff for arcs rather than a man who had ended up with a shrine and a fancy robe quite by chance!
word count: 526
Mute
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:58 pm

"Silence Reigns . . ."

I could not help but be shocked by the prayer that Devin offered in the funeral's opening. It was personable and humble, two attributes that I did not believe the priest understood in his own life. I hadn't realized that he had met Caz before, which was more than I could say, yet he still didn't allow the prayer devolve into stories and references to their relationship, thus alienating the strangers in the crowd. All in all, a respectable prayer, even if I didn't believe in the message offered.

The Tunawa priest seemed to agree with my assessment as he nodded and smiled when Devin tapered off. "Thank you, Priest Devin," he said, "for your well-spoken words. In fact, I cannot help but think you spoke for many in this room who knew dear Caz. I was partial to her chocolate mousse," Stan added with a wan smile. "And whether it was sweets that brought us to the Scholar's Nook or the books, the real blessing we walked away with was Caz's friendship. She was a bridge in this community that cannot be easily rebuilt."

And from there, the funeral progressed as most funerals did. Stan spoke for a while longer, mixing in personal anecdotes and spiritual guidance for the more emotionally affected by the incident. After this, a closing prayer was held and then the floor was opened up for any interested parties to approach the casket with their gifts of flowers, poems, and other offerings were set beside it. It didn't take long before the front was a rainbow of colors.

Devin and I didn't get a chance to move to the front, however, because we were cut off almost immediately by the person I wanted to meet the most: Caz's brother. "Theodore McNulty," the man said, moving past me to shake Devin's hand. I gave the two space to talk but still hovered close enough to eavesdrop. "Was it true what you, said? That you wanted to see justice for my sister's murder?"

I had wondered if Flea would pick up on that off-handed comment in Devin's prayer, but it seems the man had been listening closely. There was a feverish anticipation in the Theodore's eyes as he awaited the priest's answer. I myself wondered how Devin would handle this new development and, more importantly, what would come out of it next.
word count: 413
Devin
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:16 am

As the little Tunawa priest thanked him, Devin inclined his head, trying his best to appear humble even though he wanted to pat himself on the back and do a little celebratory dance because he was so incredibly proud of himself. “Caz was amazing”, he agreed with his colleague before he sat down and joined Mute again in order to watch the rest of the funeral that actually wasn’t too bad, even though it was lacking special effects. Every once in a while, he wiped his eyes with hand as if he were crying and mourning the loss of Caz, just like the rest of them even though he wasn’t, at least not to that extent.

Once the funeral guests started to approach the casket with little gifts, he nudged his temporary accomplice and whispered somewhat urgently, “Do you have any offerings? I forgot to bring the flowers!” As he waited for Mute’s answer, he took a look around the temple. Maybe he could just steal somebody else’s flowers and pass them off as his own – or take one of the decorations. He was just about to try and decide whether committing a sacrilege and possibly incurring an Immortal’s wrath would be worth it, when Caz’ brother approached which caused him to almost breathe a sigh of relief.

He wouldn’t have to approach the casket and look stupid because he didn’t have any offerings!

“Devin Thorn”, he said and almost jumped up from his seat in order to offer the man his hand before he remembered that he was supposed to be sad and quickly inclined his head, schooling his face into an appropriately somber expression. “Everything I said was true. I want justice for your sister.” He paused, remembering that there were a few soldiers in the temple and proceeded to lower his voice.

“If there’s anything you can tell me, I’d love to help. In fact, both of us do. It’s the least we can do”, he said and cast a quick glance at his “acolyte” before he focused on Theodore again.
word count: 368

Return to “Scalvoris Town”