Dark Hearts F: Heal Thyself (Rynata, Nalin)

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks, jungles, mountains, forests and islands of note.

Moderators: Pegasus Pug!!!, Avalon

Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Student
Renown: 65
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Dark Hearts F: Heal Thyself (Rynata, Nalin)

35th of Saun, Arc 718

Though it was nearing the end of the hottest part of the Arc, the end days of Saun were not a refuge or oasis from the oppressive heat. Far from it. As Hookor looked up at the angry globe in the sky, he wiped the sweat from his moistened blue brow. The only thing saving him from heat stroke, was that he was on a trial off from both the Academy and the clinic. Free time. He had so little of it these trials. Most of it, as of late, had been spent in the most peculiar way. Chasing down strange villains, getting into fights with the zombified slaves. It had all the makings of a great collection of children's tales.

And then there was his extremely unnerving encounter with the dark haired healer. He had told others of this encounter, and they were convinced that Hookor had been visited by the Immortal Moseke. Looking back, the young medic was now hardly convinced. It might have entirely been a self created vision, born out of delirium and fear. Regardless, it had left Hookor rattled.

"Where are they?" Crook wondered aloud. As he stood just outside the boundaries of Scalvoris Proper, he began to pace, waiting for Rynata and Nalin. The trio had adventured together, one of those trips mentioned. Though the half-edisi was closer to Rynata, he had come to like Nalin as well. Why were they meeting? Hookor didn't really know. He only knew that his dreams were telling him that the three needed to meet, and from there...well winging it seemed the most likely, thought perhaps least desired outcome.

"Come on." he whispered with continued impatience. Hookor began to look around, looking just back into the town, hoping he would see one or both of his recently made acquaintances...
word count: 317
Rynata
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Merchant
Renown: 210
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Re: Dark Hearts F: Heal Thyself (Rynata, Nalin)

The request from Hookor that he wanted to meet arrived rather suddenly. However, as this was the nature of such messages, Rynata didn't really mind. Lining up a few errands that she could see to during her stay in Scalvoris Town, she set out so that she would arrive in time to see her friend.

The man writing the message had seemed somewhat lost, and though he was vague in his reason for reaching out, Rynata could sense that it was a matter of great importance to him. It also seemed that Nalin, the man they had worked together to save during the reconnaissance efforts, would be joining them as well. This left her wondering what it could possibly be about. Hopefully the Hookor had made a full recovery from his unfortunate encounter with poison from last season and this wasn't anything about his health.

Strangely enough, on the road to the meeting place, Rynata was stopped by an older gentleman who also claimed to be looking for a certain medic. He had medium length, dirty blond hair which was tied up behind his head and very kind eyes. Since he seemed to be the reputable sort, Rynata offered to accompany him to where she hoped Hookor was waiting. Hopefully, her friend wouldn't mind the extra guest.

As the pair of them cleared the busiest parts of the town, Hookor came into view, waiting alone along the street. He already seemed to have spotted them, so Rynata raised a hand in greeting.

"How are you?" she said, smiling at the sight of a familiar face. "You look much better than last time. I hope you've been well?"

Turning to the man at her side, she waved a hand to introduce him.

"This gentleman is Andalas. He told me he had some business with you, so I said I wouldn't mind if he accompanied me. I hope that's alright?"
word count: 331
Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Hookor smiled, briefly, as Rynata waved. Thought they had not seen much of each other, as of late, she was still one of the few that Hookor considered a friend. They had been through much together, both at the clinic, and out on various escapades. His smile was reshaped, however, as Crook saw that Rynata was not alone...and it was not Nalin who was with her. Who was this fellow. He was not invited. As they drew closer, Hookor became even more unnerved. The man with Rynata was known to the half-eidisi. They had never met in person, but Hookor knew him.

"He was in my dream." the medic said to himself before the duo was close enough to hear. Hookor waited for the two to get close, and then put back his smile once more.

"I am so glad you came."
he said to Rynata as she ask how he was. Hookor would not reveal it, but the poison had left a mark. For many trials now, ever since he was scratched by the venomed slave's hand, Crook had suffered nightly pain in his arm. It was as if the poison had left, but the fire within it had remained. Even now he could feel the scar of the toxin reaching up from the old wound, trying to set his heart and brain afire.

"It would not take much to see improvement from the state I was in."
he said with a chuckle, adding, "But yes, I am much better."

Hookor then turned his attention to the new man. He was older than he and Rynata, and had a look of wisdom about him. Beyond that, he was as familiar as a brother, for his face had been in the shadows of his sleep for many a night.

"I have wanted to know your name for many Trials, Andalas."
He stated. Hookor knew this might draw a look of confusion, so he quickly continued.

"I have been plagued by vivid dreams for many nights, and you, my new acquaintance, have been in them all."
He forced a smile, though it would clearly look forced despite his best efforts to make it genuine. Hookor was not a believer in dreams, spirits, magic, and the like, but that this man had invaded his brain was no lie, no mistruth. Hookor shook his head, seemingly in disbelief of it all, and then looked around.

"Nalin has not come."
Hookor stated with disappointment. "I am sure he must join us, but perhaps fate will bring him before too long." the medic added with a little hope. Hookor was unsure what all of this was about, but he knew Nalin was suppose to be a part of it along with Rynata, and apparently the new fellow.

"Since I feel you are an intimate part of all this, Andalas, I will speak what I know to both of you."
looking to the man, and then to Rynata.

"During the aftermath of our last...excursion, I was seemingly visited by a strange man. A dark haired healer. He offered me the blessing of the immortal, Moseke, but I refused."
Hookor began. "From that moment, and every night since, I have dreamed of things. I have been haunted by that healer, as if to mock my refusal. I have watched those that I love die in front of me, because my medicine could not save them. Then you come along..." Looking to Andalas, "..and you revive them right before me." Hookor then looked to Rynata,

"You and Nalin are there as well. Some times it is you, or he who dies. Sometimes you are with Andalas, and help him."
Hookor seemed more confused, more frustrated, as he recalled the seemingly nightmarish visions. He looked up from the ground, and looked at Andalas.

"Crazy, I guess?"
he questioned, an apologetic expression on his face.
word count: 656
Rynata
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Merchant
Renown: 210
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Rynata looked between the two men, wondering if they knew each other from somewhere, before Hookor gave his explanation. Dreams? It all sounded very mysterious, but Rynata had no reason to suspect that Hookor was lying. Besides, she knew quite well that he had gone through traumatic events involving an Immortal no less. Though she didn't know what exactly her friend's dreams could mean, she was sure there was some significance or pattern to be uncovered.

"Not at all," she said, shaking her head when Hookor looked at her apologetically. "It sounds as though you're reliving different versions of what happened on Faldrass. Though I can't explain his appearance," Rynata waved a hand toward the older man, "perhaps there is something still bothering you. It was a difficult time for all of us, yes? This could be a coping mechanism of sorts."

Andalas confirmed her suspicions of something more when next he spoke.

"A coping mechanism, maybe," he said, smiling gently, but enigmatically. "Or perhaps, a message. My understanding is that you rejected her blessing, Moseke's blessing, on grounds that you are a man of science."

The man pointed toward a sweeping willow tree, suggesting that they move themselves to a better location to discuss.

"Is that still your belief now?" he asked once they had settled under the lush green leaves. "Do you, a medic who witnessed her healing, still call her work mere parlor tricks?"

Andalas' words had an accusatory ring, but his eyes held no malicious glare whatsoever. They seemed genuinely curious. Perhaps a little sad.

Rynata leaned against the old tree and looked at Hookor. She didn't remember too clearly. Not when Death had been towering above them. However, she recalled that he had been angry about being made a pawn, and that after she had been marked, Hookor had remained without one. Unconsciously, her hand went over her heart where there was now a shadow of a birch tree seedling.

Laying a light hand on her shoulder, Andalas smiled and nodded to her.

"I too have the blessing of Sevrath and am a priest of the Great Mother. You've much more to understand, but as one who has accepted Moseke's blessing, do you feel you've been hoodwinked? Conned?"

"No, the change has been real. No parlor tricks," Rynata smiled at Hookor. "But I doubt that was your only concern."
word count: 411
Hookor Crook
Approved Character
Character Sheet

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Hookor listened to Rynata and the newcomer. He shook his head in defiance.

"Doesn't one have to believe in a blessing, in order to truly refuse it?" Hookor asked. "If I do not believe in the power of the gods, than should they not be powerless against me?" he additionally inquired. The half-eidisi didn't expect Rynata, or Andalas, to have a proper answer for such a philosophical question, but it was alas, where his mind was when it came to such matters.

"I am a scientist at heart, that is true. I believe in truth through precision and accuracy. Through the repeatability of outcomes as a result of proper scientific method." Hookor was a little agitated. He knew this fellow was prying for a reason, and the medic was not all that comfortable with it. Still, he struggled to simply call the dreams, and the people in them, all random coincidence, all the pointless tales of his mind.

"My dreams themselves defy logic, and yet I MUST find logic in them, even if it is to be idle entertainment for my sleeping brain." he suggested. He looked at Rynata, an expression of apology on his face.

"Parlor tricks, Hypnotism, mass hysteria and delusion. Call it what you like, but the gods to me, are nothing more than glorified versions of the same idle shows my mind has been taunting me with over these many trials." Hookor, now a little more annoyed, hauled up his sleeves, bearing them to Rynata and Andalas.

"You see no marks, here, and you will not. Not so long as I have science on my side." And with that Hookor stood there, defiant, half expecting both his friend, and the stranger, to begin some diatribe about the heresy in his words, and damned future that was in store for him, should he not repent and convert...
word count: 320
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”