less pure
least pure
Image Image Image
images in larger sizes
528 x 400px
600 x 400px
349 x 288px
Type of Material: Metal.
How To Gather: Mining, sometimes graverobbing.
Skill Level/Skills Needed: Competent-level miners and smiths may mine or smith the metal, but are less likely to work with the metal due to its rarity. Competent-level smiths may also smith the metal mixed with other metals, like true gold. Expert-level smiths may smith the metal mixed with ghost metal.

Rarity: Rare.
Durability: Common to strong.
Estimated Price: 40gn per ingot.

Found in: Locations where many deaths, or great deaths, have taken place. Underneath battlefields is a common location grave gold is found, though this metal has been found in such places as underneath cemeteries, hospitals, temples, prisons, and other dangerous or deathly places. This metal is also sometimes found in locations where ghost metal is found.

Information:
Grave gold, like fool's gold, is named for its semblance to true gold, though grave gold is usually paler and more silver in color than either true gold or fool's gold. Grave gold can range in color from pale goldish to silverish to pure shining white, depending on the history of the land under which it was formed. The highest quality grave gold is usually white, though often its quality is measured not by color but by its fluorescence or shine.

Grave gold, when forged, has an exceptionally smooth, uniform gloss which cannot rust and which reflects like a mirror. It is most commonly mixed with metals like steel, though grave gold and ghost metal are often mixed because of their associations with death. When forged alongside ghost metal, the ghost metal loses all of its special properties besides the ability to interact with spirits, wisps, and other paranormal entities. Only highest quality grave gold when mixed with ghost metal will retain this spiritual effect.

Almost exclusively made into weapons, grave gold, after it is forged, gains the ability to alter in color when it comes into contact with blood. Starting white, pale silver, or pale gold in color, a weapon made of grave gold that is repeatedly exposed to blood will slowly turn darker and redder, though no matter how dark the metal becomes it will always retain its brilliant sheen. Weapons exposed to a lot of blood become nearly black in color, though the metal will always possess a reddish hue.

Oftentimes, because grave gold alters color when exposed to blood, a warrior's weapon if made from the metal is able to act as a representation of their experience in battle. When used as an alloy, grave gold retains this ability, as well as the ability to ward off rust and corrosion. The color of the metal or metals grave gold is mixed with can affect the appearance of the weapon, though it will always darken and redden as it is used.

For example, grave gold mixed with true gold will start out with a goldish coloration, and at its darkest may become black with a deep copper hue. Grave gold mixed with ghost metal will have a distinctly purplish coloration, starting out lavender or bluish silver and ending up black with a dark purple sheen.

Though it is only known to the few smiths, alchemists, and mages who have worked extensively with the metal, grave gold absorbs a small amount of blood each time it comes into contact with it. It is not known to absorb any other types of liquid, though there are speculations that it may be able to absorb ether and ectoplasm.

Rarely, a small piece of true gold that a person is carrying (usually a piece of jewelry, a handful of gold nel, or a small weapon like a knife) will convert to grave gold upon the person's death. Also rarely, sometimes a small piece of true gold that was buried with a person will convert to grave gold, with the metal seeming to become more pure, and shinier and lighter in color, as time goes by.

OOC Note: A weapon made of grave gold will darken and redden slowly and uniformly (not in splotches) as it comes into contact with blood. A weapon will reach its darkest when a PC has reached a master-level of 250.

Should a PC purchase the weapon after reaching a master-level of 250, the weapon may turn black at once upon the person's touch, though for story purposes, whether or not the weapon does is left up to the player in question.

Credit: Quio.
Last edited by Quio on Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:59 pm, edited 5 times in total. word count: 795
A L I A S E S
Quio
Freeman
Ruq, Iaan, Korim
Image Image Image
Quio
Approved Character
Race: Yludih
Renown: 113
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 3

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Events

Re: Grave Gold

Notes:
  • The images here are hosted on flickr, because I can't figure out the site gallery. v_v
  • For the impurest form of grave gold, the image I used only came in a size that was a little larger than the size I used in the writeup. That's why in the 'larger images' sptitle, the third image isn't much larger at all.
  • I'm not sure if the price of the metals used should be measured in ingots. All the metal prices listed on the site are measured in ingots, but ingots vary wildly in weight and are usually very heavy, so an ingot of one type of metal (iron for example) might weigh twenty pounds. Based on the weight of a sword, one iron ingot might make five swords, and yet an iron ingot is listed on the price list at only 2gn.

Going by the usual weight of a sword (which is anywhere from 2.5 to 4.5 pounds), I would price grave metal at 125gn per sword, with a masterwork sword costing 1000gn. That's 35gn, 7sn, and 1cn a pound for a 3.5 pound sword. An ingot that weighed 20 lbs would cost 714gn, 2sn, 9cn. Which is more than any of the other ingots, including the ones given only by gods.

It just seems to me that the ingot prices are off, is what I'm saying. So I didn't know what to put for the cost. For now, I'm going to go with what I estimated. So, about 715gn per ingot.

EDIT: We decided grave gold would be priced at 40gn per ingot.
  • I made up the word parabnormalities. :p EDIT: I suppose I could have just said paranormal entities, lol.
Last edited by Quio on Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total. word count: 294
A L I A S E S
Quio
Freeman
Ruq, Iaan, Korim
Image Image Image
Maltruism
General Staff
Race: Prophet
Profession: "Mastermind"
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Office