Double Haul

Rorom please

Seated on the shores of Lake Lovalus, Rharne serves as the home of the Lighting Knights, the Thunder Priestesses, and the Merchant's guild. This beautiful trade city is filled with a happy and contented people who rarely need an excuse to party.

Moderators: Pig Boy , Basilisk Snek

Nikhael
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Fisherman, Father
Renown: 30
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Double Haul

33rd of Saun, Arc 718

It was a hot Saun day and the two suns blazed down radiating heat. All Nik wanted to do was go for a cool swim or get a refreshing tankard of ale, but his coin was tight especially since his last two days were spent taking care Thanos. Nikhael glanced towards the cockpit where little Thanny was sleeping in a hammock. The 6-arc old boy had caught a fever and only this morning had the worst of it broken. Ryder, on the other hand, was sitting on the edge of the dock with his feet splashing in the water. For the moment the sloop had its sails down and was docked in the harbour. But that couldn’t last for long. Nik was down to his last few coins and he desperately needed a good haul of fish.

Nikhael stood up and jumped onto the dock. He was of average height and had the build of a sailor. Muscular but lean. At the moment he was bare chested with only a light scarf wrapped about his head, and he wore light trousers and sandals. At this time of the season he was well tanned from the suns of Saun and his eyes were a mix of red and magenta. As he glanced out at the lake, he could feel the hot strong wind coming from the east. Winds for a storm. He couldn’t be sure, since there weren’t many clouds in the sky but he had a sinking feeling in his gut. If the three of them were caught in open waters in a storm, he’d have a difficult time getting through it. Especially since he’d only have Ryder’s support. But if he didn’t take the chance to go fishing, who knew when they’d be able to get more coin? And if Thanos’s condition worsened…

Nik grimaced. He needed another adult on board if he was going to take his chances on the water. He had been loath to ask for help from his family, since he was finally back on his feet and wanted to prove he could raise his own boys. But maybe someone on the docks might fancy a sail. There were certainly enough of them. Despite the heat, the harbour was like a beehive. People were coming and going, some with wheel barrows and others carrying wooden crates. On the larger docks there was even more of a bustle with the big schooners and long-ships. But even on the smaller docks, where he stood, there was an array of sloops, row boats, and even canoes.

The crying of seagulls erupted as a dog bounded through a flock of them. He might as well try and maybe give the potential sailor some incentive.

“Is anyone interested in going for a sail? I’m one man short.” He started in Rakahi, albeit awkwardly. Either all eyes would be on him, or no eyes. “I’ll pay with half the fish I catch. I need someone to man the tiller while I’m working the net.”

Then perhaps even more awkwardly he switched to his broken Common. “You want sail? We sail and I pay with fish. I need one man.”

“Come on! The water is beautiful and the fish are jumping.” He urged, and had switched back to his dominant tongue.

At this point Ryder had heard his father’s attempts and got up looking either nervous or shy. “Dad, why are you asking some stranger to come with us? Why can’t it be just you and me, and Thanny? You were going to teach me how to fish, and catch a big’un.”

“Ryder, if we’re going to go out further onto the lake, we’re going to need someone else on board. Especially on a day like this.” There was a note of desperation in the Biqaj’s voice. He wasn’t just setting boundaries on the boy. Deep down he realized he could really use some mature company for a day.

word count: 683
Rorom
Approved Character
Profession: Captain
Renown: 195
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 5

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Re: Double Haul

"Squack! Gurawk!"

"Pipe down, Fortuna." Rorom muttered to the large albatross, perched on his shoulder. She bobbed her head as he walked along the pier. He came to a stop at the end of it, near a sloop that resembled his long-repossessed Crag Dodger. He sighed to look at it.

"Gwawk?" The bird buffeted its wings when he put on the brakes. "Fortuna, that isn't home. But we will sail again, on our own ship. Mark my words."

He spoke of course in Rakahi. He suspected the bird couldn't understand any other language, if it understood Rakahi even. Nevertheless, it always seemed to appreciate his speech, since he rescued it so long ago.

A man was raising his voice over the din of the harbor ambience, asking for extra hands to fish. Rorom's pointed ears perked at the suggestion of work on a proper ship, and turned around to find the source of the voice, which by the sound couldn't be too far from there.

He let out another wistful sigh and turned around. Unbidden, the albatross gave flight at that. At first Rorom supposed she was going to make the rounds around the docks to beg for fish. Instead, he heard her alighting to the deck of another boat, a sloop that looked even more like his Crag Dodger than the last one he'd seen. Fortuna was squawking madly as it peacocked in triumph, strutting along the deck as a biqaj sailor stood there. "Damnit! Fortuna! Out of the boat! It's not ours!"

He noticed a man in the boat, and raised his hands, "Forgiveness stranger, don't mind the bird. She's got all the social graces of a drunken mer."

Rorom waved an arm angrily at the bird, "Out, now! I'm very sorry, goodman! She thinks she's captain of every ship she's seen."
word count: 323
Nikhael
Approved Character
Profession: Fisherman, Father
Renown: 30
Character Sheet
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Milestones

Miscellaneous

Most people ignored Nikhael, either too busy with their own work or not understanding his words. A couple heads turned, but if there was interest it was only marginal. Maybe he’d have to try again at another dock or up the incentive. Coin was more valuable than the chance of fish, but the last thing Nik could afford was paying a sailor, only to catch no fish at all.

Suddenly an enormous bird swooped down and landed on his ship, squawking loudly. Ryder jumped back, despite being on the dock “Dad, dad! Look at that! It’s a giant seagull!”

In moments Nikhael was back on the deck of his sloop, reflexively being protective of Thanos asleep down below. Even though the bird didn’t look to be particularly dangerous, strutting about and squawking on the deck, Nikhael made a point to keep an eye on it.

A man from the dock called out, apologizing for the bird, Fortuna. He had the telltale signs of a biqaj, from the language he spoke to his pointed ears.

“It’s no trouble, friend. If I were her size, I’d probably demand to be Captain, or at least first mate.” Nik answered with a chuckle.

By now Ryder had tentatively gotten back on the deck and was posturing alongside the bird, trying to see how close he could get. The albatross was practically the same size as the boy, except the bird also had an enormous wingspan. If he ever got too close or the albatross started squawking, he would leap back and then try once again to start mimicking it.

“Dad, do you think Mr. Seagull will join us fishing?”

“Depends on what the good sailor has planned this afternoon. But don’t get your hopes up Ry. Sailors are a busy lot, and biqaj are so sea worthy that they often have their own ships.”

It didn’t seem like the albatross was making any move for the small cabin below, so Nikhael crossed the deck and stepped onto the dock. He offered his hand and introduced himself to the biqaj. “Name’s Nikhael Yv’Ryn. Or you can call me Nik. Know anyone who would be interested in sailing this afternoon? I need an extra hand on deck. Otherwise it’s just me and the boys.”
word count: 388
Rorom
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Fortuna settled down after a spell, perching herself on the starboard rail of the mariner's ship. Rorom approached the gangplank on the man's invitation. "I'm Rorom Nji'Ihai. Yes I do have my own ship, although it's in dry dock right now for some barnacle cleaning." Rorom didn't want to broach the uncomfortable topic of having his shp repossessed because of a defaulted loan. It was a reasonable answer. Besides, soon enough he suspected he would have a new ship.

"I believe I heard you calling for extra hands to go on a fishing expedition. I just so happen to be looking to join a ship for a spell." He grinned, "This past season, I was up to my hips, wading through the shores of Lovalus for clams. There's a good killing to be made there, but it was damned uncomfortable to be digging underwater."

Having said all this, he gestured toward the gangplank, "May I come aboard, Captain?"

If he answered in the affirmative, Rorom would walk up the plank, and finally find his feet on a real ship again. It would be interesting fishing along with another marine on such a small ship. Apparently the man also had children with him. That was good, more hands were always welcome on a ship.

"So, what's your mode of fishing? Do you have a net?" If the man showed him where the fishing net was, Rorom would inspect it, whistling as he did so. "No implement is more precious to U'Frek than the net. I heard a story once that it was he who fished our people from their peril during the darkest of times. Using a fish net."
word count: 287
Rorom
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

OOC: Wrapping this up as best I can. Hopefully you return sometimei Nikhael!

It didn't appear that the man or his family needed his help, but he lingered a while and told his story about how Uf'rek fished mankind from their doom. The children seemed to enjoy that well enough. While he was at it, he taught them a bit about how to tie a hitch knot to fix a net that had been cut by a mer's weapon or a barracuda's tooth. After teaching them how to tie the knot, he did some pole fishing aboard their vessel, managing to catch a small pike or two before he bid them farewell and moved on about his business.

Rorom had already made a sizeable catch which he had aboard his rowboat in buckets and tubs. The fisherman wound his way down the dock to find the small vessel at the other end. Fortuna followed along on the wing.

Once he deposited the pikes he'd caught, It would just be a matter of pawning what was in it off to the fish mongers.

He had just the woman in mind to do the selling, as he was far less adept at dealing with those penny pinching brokers of fin and fish heads. Noille wasn't far from the docks, usually at her station running errands along the dust quarter at this time of day. He tipped an imaginary hat at her as he saw her, then waved. "Noille, I need somebody to sell off this fish to the mongers. I'll pay for your time, usual rate?"

Noille smiled at the promise of coin, and nodded cheerfully to Rorom, "Of course, your boat I trust is at it's usual place?"

"Aye, Just mind the oars, I think they might be rotting." He said, at which she rolled her eyes.

"It's time for an upgrade, I would think." She chastised him, "Perhaps Eairok can help us find a new boat?"

"Indeed, It's time I sailed my own vessel again. I'll keep you both in mind for a crew, if you'd be willing?"

She shrugged, which he reflected in one of his own. They parted ways, Rorom a few nels the poorer for hiring her as his fish monger. Her talent at selling, however, was well worth the cost, and she proved trustworthy in the past.
word count: 410
Kasoria
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 1075
Character Sheet
Character Wiki
Plot Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Review Rewards

Name Rorom

Points awarded: 15

Notes:
Mmmmm this seemed a little brief to count as a full Work Thread, you kinda only had two or three paragraphs actually detailing any of that. But your Admin may fee differently, so add it as one of your Job Threads when you put in for your Seasonal Wage Requests. Oh, and of course, enjoy the points, and your strutting, fancy-ass albatross!

Your review request is here. Also, please indicate on your request thread that this has been reviewed by using the button below. Thanks!

Code: Select all

[center][img]https://www.standingtrials.com/gallery/image/15329/medium[/img][/center]
If you have any questions, comments or concerns in regards to this review, feel free to PM.
word count: 126

Appearance

• Habitually dressed in boots, breeches, tunic, and cloak.
  • Long hair down to the shoulders, usually swept back or in a rough ponytail
  • Prefers a trimmed beard and mustache

Mutations

• Star-shaped scar on each palm.
  • Air around him seems to thicken and become more turbulent the closer a person gets to him.
  • Pitch black eyes, from tear ducts to the pupils.
  • Arms from shoulder to palms appear as if heavy chains are wrapped around them.
  • Wisps of black smoke constantly drifts around his body, forming the rough outline of a cloak. The more agitated he becomes, the thicker the layers get.
    Note: the torch-motif medallion Kasoria wears negates the visible effects of this mutation.
  • Roughly circular pattern across breastbone, constantly transforming, and resettling
  • Sunken, closed eyes in the back of hands; they open when stared at
  • Skin takes on the tone and quality of whatever material he's just Transmuted
Post Reply Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Rharne”