A Beacon in the Dark

From Tried's Mouth to the mysterious Tower, the waters around Scalvoris and the island itself hold a vast array of secrets, just ripe for discovery. Here are landmarks and small villages of note.

Moderators: Pegasus, Ghoul, Vorpal

Rynata
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Merchant
Renown: +210
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

A Beacon in the Dark

Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:27 am

Arc 718, 27th of Ymiden

Even with many of the workers gone from the village to attend to their jobs in the town proper, Beacon was still a lively place. This was evident from the sounds that spilled in through the door of the central office whenever someone entered or left. Echoes of woodworkers crafting or repairing, and the playful sounds of children adventuring the day away.

Rynata was sat at a desk with one of the Isonomia faction members at her elbow, handing her documents and chatting away in what seemed to be his usual rapid fire manner.

"And this is where all the class schedules are recorded," he said sweeping aside other stacks of paper in front of Rynata in favor of a particular scroll. "They're held in the house right across from here. You saw the one. Everything seems in order now. Oh, but I do believe there was a request put in for another tutor in reading and writing. That should be easy enough to find..."

"If we can't find anyone within the trainee community, I can put the word out from my end as well," Rynata interjected when the man, Tomas, paused for breath. "That goes for any other position. I'll check in, but let me know if something urgent comes up."

"Yes. Right. And oh, here's the records for the residents," Tomas added, placing a large booklet in front of her.

Turning the pages revealed the carefully kept details of the community members. Any requests they had put in, whether these had been fulfilled or not, what sort of training program they were under, and what skills they were willing to volunteer.

Tomas leaned over and started to flip through the pages rapidly, trying to get to the page he wanted. While he did so, he continued his explanation.

"Most things are starting to run smoothly. Training schedules and mentors and whatnot. But it would be nice if you could make sure, especially for the newcomers. Make sure they feel welcome and can get the support they need. Also, if our network isn't enough for the members who want to leave for their own job, the matter might come to you."

"That doesn't sound like a problem," Rynata said. "And just send for me if Beacon has need any materials. Anything else?"

"Yes, in fact," he said, pointing a finger at one point in the record book. "We have a new resident you might like to check on. No training program or anything yet. Couldn't unfortunately. I believe they needed some time to rest. I could go and handle that with you. See how things go?"

The two of them ended up leaving the office to stride past the residencies and gardens that lined Beacon village. Even when it wasn't about work, Tomas still twittered on about life in the village and events in Scalvoris Town. So, it was with a slightly amused smile that Rynata lent a ear to his stories and knocked on the house they were to call on.
Ari'sora
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Caretaker and Farmer
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Re: A Beacon in the Dark

Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:25 pm

Ari'sora felt as though she was in a dream. The trials after she had been rescued from Ren'zar were very much a daze. She remembered little of the first few trials in the clinic. Then it had been a matter of resting, and allowing herself to heal. The healers had helped her with a diet of many small meals throughout the trial rather than a few larger ones. That way, she could slowly begin to regain the weight she had lost. The foods they had instructed her to eat were bland, but nourishing ones. Nothing that was too rich, or heavily seasoned because they would not sit well in her shrunken stomach. Ari'sora guessed that the members of the Order of Adunih who were in charge of her care must really know what they were doing, because she had already begun to see progress.

All of the healers who were working with her were women. Ari'sora appreciated that greatly. She didn't think she could stand to allow a man to get so close to her after everything Ren'zar had done to her over the arcs. But the members of the Order seemed to realize this, and they had assigned someone for her to talk to about such things as well as healers who saw to her physical injuries. One of the women who had treated her told her that there were signs that she might be pregnant. She had given a list of symptoms to be on the look out for, nausea which she had called morning sickness, and a late menstrual cycle being two of the most obvious. If she were to experience any of the symptoms, she was to come in for another check up. Even if she didn't experience any of the symptoms, the healers had wanted to see her on a regular basis until she was fully recovered. Ari'sora was more than willing to comply with their request and advice.

Her sister was still in the clinic, and would be for quite some time. Mi'zuri's broken leg needed careful tending until it began to heal more. So even if the healers hadn't wanted her to come in for regular checkups, she would have come in to visit her sister until she could come home.

Home. That was another thing that amazed Ari'sora to no end. and contributed to the feeling that she was dreaming. She had worried about where she and her sister would live once they were released from the clinic. They had no money, and little means of getting any. And neither of them had high hopes of finding jobs quickly. Even if they were in the best of health, which they weren't, as isolated as they had been, they didn't even know how to go about finding jobs for themselves.

But much to Ari'sora's wonder, and amazement, arrangements had been made for her and her sister to live here in Beacon. It was a small community where people who needed a place to live could have one. They were expected to help out in the community, of course, but Ari'sora was looking forward to that. Maybe in doing so, she would have the chance to learn something that would help her find a job. And while she hadn't had the chance to meet many people yet, a few of the neighbors had come over to introduce themselves, and see if she needed anything. They seemed very nice, and Ari'sora looked forward to getting to know them better. Perhaps they might even become friends.

A knock on the door startled Ari'sora out of her thoughts. Curious to see who it was, she opened the door, and greeted whoever it was shyly.

Last edited by Ari'sora on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rynata
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:19 pm

"So, go over the training classes and defensive program, yes? Please, remind me if I forget anything," Rynata said, glancing over to Tomas. "What area of expertise do you think she'll be interested in?"

There were many different kinds of classes, however, they tended to be fluid due to the nature of the volunteering mentors.

"I haven't the slightest idea, but I brought a list, so that should help us help her go through them," the man replied in his quick tone.

Soon after Rynata's knuckles had left the wood of the door, it swung open to reveal a young girl with glossy black wings. An Avriel, then, but not quite. Perhaps the girl was of mixed heritage. Either way, she looked rather timid, and so Rynata smiled amiably and extended a hand in greeting.

"Hello! Ms. Ari'sora, yes? I hope I'm saying that right," Rynata said gently. "I'm Rynata Ki'Oriq, and this is Tomas," she added, waving a hand over to the eager young staff of Beacon who was hovering over her shoulder. "We were hoping to discuss your future plans in Beacon. Is it alright if we come in?"
Ari'sora
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:54 pm

Ari'sora was visibly startled when the strangers knew her name, but after a few trills, she recovered, and shook the hand that the woman offered with a tentative smile of her own.

"Yes, that is how you pronounce it."

Ari'sora wanted to know how they knew her name, but didn't quite dare to ask. She didn't want to be rude.

The woman introduced herself as Rynata Ki'Oriq. It was a Biqaj name, and when Ari'sora looked closer, she saw the delicately pointed ears the Biqaj were known for. Her mind quickly offered everything she had read about them as a child when she went through a phase when she was fascinated by learning about other races. The Biqaj had pointed ears, eyes that changed color, and silver blood. They spoke and wrote a language called Rakahi. They were skilled sailors, and were often either traders, or pirates. Their family names had meaning to those who understood Rakahi, and were clan based. Rakahi itself was a difficult language to learn. It was said that some of the words that made up Scalveen had originally come from Rakahi. And it was said that a trained ear could tell the difference between a pure blooded Biqaj and someone who was half Biqaj through subtle accents and undertones.

"It's nice to meet you." Ari'sora said politely a moment later.

She hesitated for a few trills before asking a question.

"Ki'Oriq...am I pronouncing that right? It means Merchant of Strength, doesn't it?"

Ari'sora blushed, and ducked her head shyly.

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to be nosy. It's just that I'm very interested in learning about other languages. I read about Rakahi when I was younger."

When Rynata asked if they could come in, Ari'sora blushed, and nodded.

"Of course you can. Please do. I'm sorry. I should have invited you in earlier." she said hastily as she stepped back to allow them to do just that.

She berated herself for being rude as she watched them walk in. It was only polite to invite someone to come in instead of just leaving them standing at the door! Ari'sora knew that she should have done so without waiting to be asked. It was just that she simply hadn't thought of it. When she had lived with Ren'zar, she hadn't usually been allowed to answer the door. And the few times she had, the men coming in to see her guardian certainly hadn't waited for an invitation to come in. She apologized again.

"You said that you wanted to discuss my future plans here..is there something I can do to help out? I know that I need to get a job soon, but I really don't know how to go about doing that..."

Rynata
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:44 am

Seeing the girl's confusion, Rynata took a beat to further explain the situation.

"It's a standard welcoming procedure," she assured. "The central office would just like to make sure you're settling in alright."

Tomas had said the new resident had needed some time to rest. While that wasn't so unusual, Rynata did wonder a little about Ari'sora's circumstances. She seemed young, especially when she acted so meekly, but her poise made her think that she was a little older than she first appeared.

"It's good to meet you as well." Rynata grinned a little childishly as Ari'sora recognized her clan name. "Qes, yes," she said, slipping into Rakahi slang. "Merchant of Strength. A hopeful title my father helped me come up with. So, you know some Rakahi. Your love of languages could be invaluable to Beacon as well as Scalvoris."

Rynata also dabbled in languages, but it had mostly been out of necessity rather than an overwhelming love for the area of study. Though she certainly didn't mind increasing her means of communication. It was useful in the business, and with the amount of time she spent at the docks, one picked up a foreign phrase or two.

Stepping through the doorway at Ari'sora's invitation, Rynata looked around at the small, clean home. Everything seemed in order and no repairs seemed to be needed at a first glance. Tomas placed the documents he had brought over onto a table while Rynata turned to face the girl and her questions.

"Well, we could always use community volunteers, as is my understanding. There's the kitchens, gardens, and tutoring classes that could use the extra pair of hands. As for work, you could of course search in Scalvoris Town, but if you speak to the central office, we can help find a suitable position for you. Come find us whenever you're ready. In the meantime, there are training classes offered to better prepare residents for their future jobs."

Rynata paused to look over at Tomas, "What else..."

"Defense training, Rynata."

"Oh, yes. Beacon would like all its residents to receive self defense training. It's a precaution. Idalos tends to prey on the weak," Rynata added quietly.

"Regardless," she said a little more brightly. "Do you have anything in mind?"
Ari'sora
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:24 pm

Ari'sora made a careful mental note of the word, Qes, adding it to what little she already knew of the language. Perhaps she would have the opportunity to learn more later. When Rynata said that she knew some Rakahi, she nodded hesitantly.

"A very little. A word or two here and there, and I know the meanings of some of the words that make up some of the family names. I read a few books about it. I hope to learn more, though." she said with a shy smile in response to the other woman's grin.

"Scalveen is the only language I know well, but I do know some Common, Lorien, and Xanthea. It helps that some Common words are also found in Scalveen, so it helps me understand a bit more Common than I might otherwise know. You said that my love of languages can help Beacon...I'll do whatever I can to help out. I don't want to be a burden to anyone."

Ari'sora shuddered involuntarily. It was a slight movement that might be missed if her visitors had looked away for a trill. People who didn't work enough were punished severely. So were people who didn't work quickly enough, or who failed to do their work well enough...Ari'sora didn't want to be punished anymore. Failure to live up to whatever was expected of her here simply wasn't an option.

"And maybe I will have a chance to learn more languages? Or learn more about the ones I do know?" she asked hopefully.

Ari'sora listened closely to the type of volunteer work that was needed. She wasn't so sure about tutoring any classes. Her own knowledge came solely from the books she had been allowed to read, and the things she had been taught so that she would be useful to Ren'zar. There were no doubt huge gaps in the information she knew, and she had no business trying to help someone else learn something she didn't understand fully herself. But she did know her way around a garden, and a kitchen. Perhaps she could be of use there. She said as much even as she was considering what she had been told about aid being available to help her find a job.

"I will." she promised.

"I do need help in finding a job. I'm not good with..."

She tried again.

"There's so much I need to..."

Ari'sora shook her head, clearly getting flustered as she tried to explain, and apologize for needing help in finding a job at the same time. She took a breath, and tried again.

"I'm not used to..."

Ari'sora turned a deep shade of red as she silently berated herself for her failure. She wasn't used to dealing with most people. And she certainly wasn't allowed to ask for things. She was told what to do, and that was it. If she failed, she was punished for her failure. And if she succeeded well enough to please Ren'zar, he rewarded her by giving her the chance to read something that interested her. It was that simple. She more than half expected to be punished for daring to ask if she would have the chance to learn more languages earlier. And she dreaded the thought that she was disappointing these people with her failure now.

"I will need help in finding a job. I'm sorry." she said at last.

The mention of training classes quickly distracted her though, and her eyes lit up with intense interest at the promise of the chance to learn new things. Tomas and Rynata mentioned defense training, and Ari'sora nodded grimly.

"I will not be weak again." she said softly, but her words help a fierce determination in them.

She wanted to be strong enough to be able to protect herself, and her sister. Now that they were free of Ren'zar, she wanted to learn what that meant. There would be no new Ren'zar in her life...not ever.

When she was asked what she had in mind, Ari'sora gave the matter some serious thought before answering.

"I want to learn...more." she said slowly.

Knowing that that would need some kind of explanation, she continued.

"Everything I know either comes from books, or was taught to me so that I would be useful to Ren'zar." she explained.

"So I know some things about herbs because they interest me, and I earned the chance to read about them sometimes. I would like to learn more about them. One of Ren'zar's friends taught me a little about how to play the glass flute once. It amused them to hear my play it, so he bought me one and allowed me to practice with it so I could learn how to play it better. I would like to learn more about that, too. I love learning new languages because the more you know, the more books you can read, and books are...books are windows to the world." she said quietly, with something very near reverence.

Books were Ari'sora's world in many ways. They were the only glimpses she had had of the world outside Ren'zar's house and yard up until recently. Book were...everything, and she simply didn't know how to explain how important they were to her.

"So I want to learn more about them, too. And I want to be useful. I don't want to be a burden to anyone. Really, I just want to learn...more." her words, though soft spoken, were filled with an intense hunger, and something close to desperation.

Rynata
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:30 pm

Rynata smiled at Ari'sora. "Never a burden. This is your home for as long as you need it to be. And you're free to pursue whatever studies you think will suite you best. I'm sure we have a few foreign language speakers here in Beacon who wouldn't mind teaching you."

It was a little worrying how nervous and flustered the young girl became as she tried to explain her situation. Clearly, this was important to her, but she was having trouble getting the words out. Rynata could tell it wasn't just the language barrier. It was a little saddening to know that she couldn't be a more reassuring presence for the girl, but perhaps it was a bit much to ask for so much trust when they had just met. From this Ren'zar that Ari'sora mentioned, it seemed she had led a rather restricted life style up to this point. A slave perhaps?

"And you'll have all the help we can provide," Rynata said, chuckling a little as Ari'sora listed off her many desires. "Have you been to the Public Library yet, Miss Ari'sora? With that amount of passion for learning, you should also consider the University of Scalvoris. A friend of mine taught there, and I'm sure the Academy offers more advanced classes than the ones at Beacon." Looking over her shoulder at Tomas, Rynata suggested, "Perhaps we should establish a practical library of sorts in one of the classrooms? I'm sure that would benefit everyone."

Glancing into the girl's eyes, Rynata reaffirmed the determination she saw in them earlier. However, there was something else as well. Something still confused and dangerous because of it.

Still in the same light tone but with serious eyes, Rynata faced Ari'sora saying, "A desire for knowledge is commendable, and this may not be for me to say, but please consider carefully the reasons behind your drive. To be useful? To not be a burden? Towards whom and in what sense? Whatever was expected of you before need not apply going forward. You've no obligation towards anyone unless you deem them worthy of it."

Grinning again, Rynata finished, "And as my brother used to say, '9 times out of 10, the crew member who thinks that they might be the weak link is usually not the problem.' You may have a lot of studying you might like to do, but please don't worry too much. Tomas will be around more reliably than me if you need anything, but I'll be sure to drop by frequently."

Return to “Surrounding Waters & Landmarks”