• PM To Join • Snatching Conquest from the Jaws of Defeat

Job thread for acolyte/assistant in temple of Raskalarn (grief counselor)

Threads will be moved her by a Yaralon mod after the Thread has been Reviewed normally, then analyzed by a Yaralon mod for lore additions and the like.

Moderators: Aegis, Tempest

Woe
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Grief Counselor
Renown: +50
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Snatching Conquest from the Jaws of Defeat

Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:01 am

Speech
Thoughts
30th Trial of Ymiden, Arc 718
Coinless, tired, and wounded, Woe had nowhere to turn once he was inside those massive curtain walls.

He put his palm over the wound in his shoulder, and walked through the streets, keeping his left hand on the hilt of his whip. Many of the eyes upon him focused on the weapon, which prompted him to take on a protective tact. He wondered if carrying a weapon was illegal here or something. This thought vanished when he noticed that, in fact, everybody in the city appeared to carry armaments.

People spoke loud here, with a broad and open manner that Woe found refreshing. If it weren't for the subtle hostility in their postures, he might've enjoyed their company. As it was, he looked quite the beggar in his rags, wounded, bearing one flimsy scourge.

In a few breaks, his travels took him to a large temple at the northern gate. There, he took the opportunity to rest across from it, sitting on his laurels. For a break or more people came and went, passing him by without a second look. Someone did notice him there when the sun began getting low.

"You look down on your luck, friend. Survived a bad battle? Raskalarn can show you the way to conquer and dominate on the battlefield." The deep voice came from above him as he sat on the street.

Woe looked up, to see a man in priestly robes beneath a decorative suit of banded armor. He craned his neck to look at the man, and squinted, wincing as his wound twinged at his sudden movement. "I'm down on my luck." Woe said at last, lost for a response to the rest of the priest's statement.

"At the least, I could use some treatment, to get back into the fight."

The priest smiled at this, and extended a hand to him. Woe, his hand hovering near his whip but not touching the hilt, accepted his hand, and rose to his feet. There he trailed the priest into the temple of Raskalarn.

word count: 381
Retired, feel free to npc/wrap-up plots/murderize this pc.
Woe
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Re: Snatching Conquest from the Jaws of Defeat

Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:36 am

Woe wasn't admitted to the temple proper of Raskalarn, but as an outsider was allowed into a smaller sattelite chapel on the outskirts of the grand structure. He might be permitted to confuse this for the main temple, as it was as impressive as any architecture he'd witnessed during his time in Rynmere. Even a match for the palace of the high king.

With high vaulted ceilings, and elaborate stonework architecture, this was as proper a place for worship as any chapel that existed within Rynmere, and they didn't even permit worship of the proper Immortals, as Woe had come to understand them.

He saw all sorts of Yari there, milling about on their worship and duties. Acolytes, wearing every bit as much armor and weaponry as the rest of the citizens, tended to the warriors' spiritual needs.

Woe was lost in the throng, clutching the patched up wound in his shoulder. He took a seat on a wooden bench that adjoined a large stonework pillar.

Within a break, another man came along, who sat next to Woe. There, he nodded his head, taking note of Woe's weapon with a raised brow. Woe nodded back at him impassively. The man was clearly a military man, wearing segmented lorica armor, a spatha and gladius sheathed at his side. He laid down his kit beside the bench, which held the trappings of a campaigner.

"That's an interesting choice of weapon." He said to Woe, referring to the beaded scourge at his side.

Woe shrugged in response, "It's done well enough so far. Got me out of a trip to a slave market in Athart. If I hadn't this little piece of leather on a stick, I would not have been able to lead the slaves to rise up in mutiny against the birdmen and their cohorts. Nor would I have had a chance to survive the run to get inside the walls."

"That sounds like quite the story." The soldier remarked. "You can't leave it there, we need details!"

So Woe told him. Beginning from the time he was betrayed and led into Augiery as a slave, to the episode where he survived two foes in the fighting pits, until being vanquished by a large Lotharro fist pounder. Then to his cunning orchestration of a slave mutiny at sea. Finally, he concluded with the story about how he'd trekked through the swamplands of Maiden's Refuge, leaving his companion in the maw of a large monitor. And then his run-in with the bandits outside the walls, in the dry grassland east of Yaralon. The soldier listened in interest, and then held his tongue as Woe finished his story.
word count: 471
Woe
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:59 am

"Congratulations on your victory. You may not think so, to look on our glorious walls, palace and temples. But by sharing that silver circle on your forearm, you are but one stone in the edifice of Yaralon's glorious heritage. Whatever god you hold to, whoever you called lord or master in a past life. You are Yari."

"My detachment just arrived back from the killing fields to the west. Fool's run." He said, wiping some sweat that had gathered on his brow. "We were sent there to seek out some savage raiders who've been harassing travellers out of Witherfield. We tracked them as far down as the crags, but doubled back when it appeared they had backtracked. As we rounded the craggy hills, into the grasslands, we found them behind a copse. The savages had drawn us into a trap. A dozen or more of our company fell there, left for the animals. We honor their sacrifice, in ensuring the rabble were scattered, their entrails feeding the buzzards."

Woe nodded solemnly, furrowing his brow as his feet tapped against the ground. "What of your comrades?"

The young soldier shrugged, and scratched the back of his neck. He stammered a bit, but then found his voice, "They are in glory now. We celebrate their valor."

Another soldier, this one much older than the one seated next to Woe, spoke up, "Jeax Anders, he was the finest duelist I've ever had the pleasure of bloodying on these streets. Never disarmed or rendered unconscious in a duel. Although he had always been a bleeder."

Woe looked at the newcomer, his jaw tightening as he asked, "What of him?"

The old soldier turned his head to the floor. "He was disarmed in battle. A battle-axe cleaved him down the shoulder taking it clean off..."

"I..." Woe started, not sure how to proceed. "May his valor live forever in those who remember. May we find our own warrior's death." The ex-jailer said, trying to pretend to be one of them.

In fact, Woe was not one of them. He may have made the run, he may have escaped the clutches of Augiery and survived the gladiatorial pits. He may have conquered and vanquished and beaten tougher men than himself.

He realized, however, that every significant victory he'd had in his life. From his extended history of helping his master abuse slaves, to his stint in the Oubliette of Andaris. He'd always been the strong one, the connected one, the man wielding the lash against those who could scarcely help being where they were. People who couldn't have reasonable expectation of the treatment they received at his own hands.

Woe was unworthy of this place. "I thank you for your stories. You've inspired me, truly."

He rose to his feet, bowing his head and raising a fist to his chest in salute to the warriors and their grief-filled stories. Then, he made his way for the exit of the chapel.

Before he could leave, however, he was stopped by one of the acolytes' hand on his shoulder. "They are strong, but even the strong require tempering from time to time. We appreciate what you've done, bolstering their morale by coaxing their war stories out of them."

Woe turned to look at the acolyte, his eyes moist from shame, "What did I do, afterall? Other than boast about a victory that was only a fraction my own?"

"They don't volunteer their stories of defeat and phyrric victory lightly, my friend. You've taken a load off their shoulders by offering a listening ear. Whether you know it or not, that has helped." So saying, the acolyte passed a payment to Woe. "You ought to join us again sometime. In the meantime, you look tired. Go find a good place to rest. Raskalarn's temple will be waiting if you wish to return tomorrow."

Woe turned abruptly at that, and left, not feeling redeemed in the least. Even so, he felt something tugging his mind back toward that place of rest and worship. He may just take the acolyte up on his offer. But for now, mundane concerns and a guilt-filled penitence awaited.
word count: 725
Bumblebee
Prophet of Old
Race: Human
Profession: Athart Mod
Renown: 0
Plot Notes
Templates
Medal count: 2

Contribution

Staff

Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:19 pm

Time to Bee Rewarded

Woe
🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝 🐝
Skill Knowledge
Psychology: Talking through traumatic experiences.
Psychology: Warriors process guilt/grief differently than plebs.
Psychology: Sharing is caring.
Psychology: Psychological wounds aren't always visible at first glance.
Leadership: Taking the first step.
Tactics: Something to be learned from war stories.

Non-Skill Knowledge
None requested.

Experience
10XP

Loot & Consequences
A new profession in Yaralon as a Grief Counselor (as long as approved by local mods, that is).

Renown
+5

Magic
N/A

A straight forward thread. Would have liked a bit more elaboration on Woe’s story and maybe a bit more reaction during it from then Yari. With the city being described as loud, I didn’t think they would listen so patiently/quietly to such an adventurous tale. Other than that, I enjoyed the read and if you have any questions, PM, go to my office, or catch me on discord! Oh, and don’t forget to edit your review request,
word count: 175
Work Hard. Stay Bumble.
Aegis
Storyteller (TL)
Storyteller (TL)
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 14

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:41 am

This completed thread has been reviewed by a Yaralon mod.

The following things need added to the Lore:

The following things are optional to be developed upon:

word count: 27

Return to “Yaralon Completed Threads”