(Plague) 2 Master Becoming Mutations

This is our "Help Desk". Please note, posts you make here are public and visible to all members. If you have a private issue to discuss, pm an Advocate who will facilitate this.

Moderator: Staff

Qit'ria
Approved Character
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Huntsman
Renown: +38
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:11 pm

The following mutation is further following up on Qit'ria's recent transition into motherhood. While her last mutation was spurred on by a fear of the change, as well as the timing of it with her pregnancy, this new one is her spark's attempt to emulate Qit'ria. Qit'ria views herself as the mother of her spark, and her spark is now beginning to view her as its mother, and wishes to show that by becoming a mother itself.

Monster Mother - Qit'ria's is able to store ether within her womb over the course of 280 trials (half that time if Revealed). This ether can be "flavored" by passing the ether through Qit'ria's available totems before storing it within the womb. This stored, flavored ether begins to form a chimera per the Spark's design for the "perfect baby." This pregnancy is permanent across all forms, though adjusted to fit the form's size, protecting the chimera child from harm during the transformation. This protection does NOT extend to standard children she might be pregnant with. This pregnancy acts as a standard Sev'ryn pregnancy would, and hosts the same effects and drawbacks upon Qit'ria's body as another might.

Upon birth, the chimera is a juvenile, but is its own being. It is under no direct control of Qit'ria's, no more so than a child might be. This chimera is a combination of the various totems Qit'ria flavored it with. This Chimera MUST be approved by the PSF prior to being born. Because it is a separate being from Qit'ria, with no access to any of her Becoming Abilities, it requires no ether. It is a living, breathing creature. None of these chimera may ever contain a soul, may never acquire sentience, and may never be able to reproduce.

The follow mutation is born from Qit'ria's heavy forays into Emea, as well as her past experiences with Nightmares, and her fear of her newborn daughter being attacked while in Emea as she sleeps. Her spark, sensing this, wishes to help in the only way it knows how, by becoming something more. Through this, it hopes to help her explore more of Emea, to find new forms for it to experience.

Emean Sacrifice - Qit'ria is able to baptize an existing totem in the essence of an Emean creature, usually one that has been killed or destroyed. By heavily meditating while immersing her totem in this essence, she is able to bind the Emean Creature's essence to her totem. This twists and corrupts her existing totem, removing and replacing the old form with a hybrid of the original form and the Emean Creature's form it held upon death. This Emean Totem and form are resistant to Emean Corruption. This form can be used in both Idalos and Emea, but to use it in Idalos is to use a larger amount of ether to make the transformation, as well as more to maintain it. Additionally, while in Idalos, the form is constantly in flux, unstable, its form trying to revert to the base form. This makes the form dangerous to maintain while in Idalos. An Emean Totem cannot be used to spawn a Guardian, nor can be used with any combination abilities, such as Blending, Borrow, or Adapt.
Plague
Developer - Staff
Developer - Staff
Race: Mer
Renown: +260
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Staff

Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Roit.

So, mutation 1, Guardian.

A Child Made: At first blush, I like this ability. It is thematic to the changes both Qit and her spark are going through. However, I have some questions I would like to clear up related to this ability. I believe this takes on the aspect of Totem Guardian (a high level ability), and I need to understand how often this ability can be manifested deliberately or, conversely, manifests of its own volition. The ether draw would be fairly extreme for prolonged use...especially since this is a 'created' chimera. So you'd be utilizing both Totem Guardian and Borrowing to create this idealized being each time. While I like the direction of this power, I'm worried that the ether requirements alone would cripple your magic use in any thread this thing popped out (Since you're using high level techniques to create it, and not an insignificant amount of either).

If this thing has a composite chimeric form...and one that is 'set', then we'll need to know what it looks like. You'd still need to be bound by the amount of Borrowing you can do per form acquired so for this mutation to pass we would need to 'see' what this chimera was to determine how many techniques it is a composite of for use and overstepping calculation. Remember that the best mutations are thematic rather than mechanical advantages. This reads as a familiar or animal companion (a subject other magics approach) and seems more of benefit than disadvantage (I cannot tell when this ability would trigger, or what control Qit has over it other than the familial bond)

Emean Sacrifice: While I like the reason and flavor of this, Becoming specifically handles matters of Idalos. Emean creatures are not made of the same stuff and are not subject to Becoming's 'purview'. You may consider Becoming to be of the purview 'Idalosian life'. The hybrid shapeshifting and Emean crossover magic is not an appropriate mutation as Emean creatures are simply made up entities on the fly and do not possess the Sovereign Substances necessary for Becoming to work...at least not as the magic understands them. I sincerely do like the narrative direction, but it doesn't quite fit the magic.
Qit'ria
Approved Character
Race: Sev'ryn
Profession: Huntsman
Renown: +38
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Personal Journal
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:54 pm

A Child Made - I was going to clarify this ability more, but during the process of it, I came up with a similar, but thematically improved idea. A rewrite.

Emean Sacrifice - I'm aware of the sovereign substances limitations, as well as how Emean Creatures are what they are in that moment. This was meant to represent a deliberate corruption of the totems, so that the sovereign substances still exist, serve as a base. The idea of meditating during the baptism of the totem, in the essence of the defeated beast would mean taking it from the form that it died in. These corrupted forms would be limited to that form found in death, not a true representation of the entire beast. I clarified a bit to make this more clear.
Plague
Developer - Staff
Developer - Staff
Race: Mer
Renown: +260
Office
Personal Journal
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Staff

Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:13 pm

Monster Mother: Mutations are the Spark acting on the mage, not the mage acting on the Spark. When you say Qit is able to, it suggests she makes this choice. The Spark makes the choice FOR her. That said, the Spark does not create life. It mimics life (in totem guardians), transforms it (the other basis of the magic), but it does not create it. This is not an appropriate ability for Becoming.

If I may suggest: It seems that what you WANT is a progeny-like relation. The Spark developing a 'mothering' tendency. The best place for this ability to mutate from would be the Totem Guardian as you'd surmised earlier. I think a reworking on what Qit's Spark would determine an appropriate progeny in chimerical creation is fine. That said, the creatures embodied in a totem are no longer those creatures. They have no soul, no personality. When the Spark manifests them as Totem guardians, what you actually get is a kind of copy of the mage and spark both. What would Qit be like if she was a crocodile? That's the crocodile's personality. What would Qit be like as a dog? Same basis. There are two consciousnesses...the Spark and Qit. They are not yet one. So if the Spark wants to be motherly, it will need to use Qit's consciousness as a base...in order to feel 'maternal'. Overall it's a unique and interesting concept, it just needs to be workshopped a bit.

Emean Sacrifice: What comes from Emea is more closely related to Spirits. Becoming is a discipline of flesh and blood rather than ephemera. I would absolutely be in favor of Qit utilizing totems she had to fashion approximations of what she saw in Emea, but you would really need something like Pact or the ability to interact with a spirit to mutate in this direction.

Return to “The PSF”