• Closed • Tall Tales & Truth

Beyond the city of Rharne lies the Stormlands, which is home to a number of farms, forests, fields, Lake Lovalus, and the River Zynyx. This subforum also includes the Stormwastes to the south.

Moderators: Chronicle, Oracle, Munchkin

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Wandering, wondering.
Renown: +310
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:37 pm

10th Saun, 718
The day after this
"Have we got enough, d'ya reckon?" Vega asked, as they finished packing up the last of their things. They'd camped here the night before, though he'd hardly slept but that was the nature of Arlo anyhow. Her own sleep had been broken and she'd found it hard to settle, but she didn't say anything; he knew, he was awake and could see that she didn't get much rest, but there was no point worrying about it. The night before he'd teased her , kissed her and then got on with what they were doing. She'd been stewing since and it wasn't getting less.

Vega was coming to the conclusion that she was possibly just the most unreasonable person in the world or, more precisely, she simply did relationships different. Or wrong.. She was difficult, she knew that, demanding and obnoxious too, but was her version of the world so very different from other peoples, from his? Sometimes, most of the time, she thought that she and Arlo saw the world the same way, but right at this moment she really wasn't sure. Surely, by now, things shouldn't be like this with her feeling this way and him knowing but not saying, not asking, just ignoring it and letting it go away? Yet, there was one thing that she was sure of, and that was that there was no point talking about it. She'd say how she felt, he'd tell her she was wrong and, furthermore, putting words in his mouth and it would end with her being wrong for feeling what she felt. There was no point to that and she was tired of it, so she said nothing. She wished, sometimes, that her eyes didn't give her away so much, that their colour didn't tell him what she felt, but they did and that was that. There was nothing she could do about it so she just kept her focus on what she was doing and maintained her turquoise gaze on the packing. It boiled down to the simple fact that she loved him, so if this was how it was going to be when she felt like this, well then that was how it was.

"So, let me get it straight, then," she said, looking at him briefly. "We're gonna tell 'em that Cassion saved them, put them here in unity an' there's no call for them to be fightin' each other?" There was more to the story than that, of course, but he was going to be the one to tell most of it, so she just needed to know the basics. "An' Cassion did this. Alright." Pursing her lips slightly, she turned her gaze back to him; worry about the shade of her eyes over ridden for a moment. "I don't like lyin' Arlo. I'm not good at it. You're gonna have to lead this one, an' I'm jus' goin' to keep as quite as I can. Hard to believe though that is." She smiled a brief smile, which faded as quickly. "That a'right, qau'ma?" She didn't want to not support him, she said, it was just she knew that she'd mess it up, somehow.

Once they'd got that sorted, it was back out into the dawnslight of the new trial and back towards the small village-like settlement. When they were outside, she slipped her hand into his and walked with him. "So, is there anythin' you wanna tell them specific about Cassion?" Vega wondered, "I mean, like, all of it, I guess. Travel, adventure, crazy risk takin' guy an' food?" Telling them all of it might take some time, she said with a teasing expression. "But we've got all the time in the world, nowhere to be, so we can tell them what you want." With a grimace, though, she added. "So long as I don't have to go back into that hut, that is. I'm tryin' real hard to be a better person, you know. Shout less, be difficult less. Argue with everyone" him, that was. She didn't care about anyone else, "less an' just... I dunno, be a better person. But one more comment about my wide hips an' I'm gonna start thumpin'." It was a fleeting smile and her eyes didn't shift colour but she was genuinely teasing him when she added. "I mean, I'm doin' my best, but lets not expect miracles, you know?"

Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Traveler
Renown: +438
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:28 pm

10th Saun, 718
"I s'pose so, yeah," Arlo said when Vega asked if they'd gotten enough. If they hadn' managed to get enough of a good story out of the drawings on the walls down in the temple, imagination would surely fill in the rest. If he couldn't manage that, then he was a poor follower of Cassion indeed. His response when she asked however had been short and sweet, absent much of anything at all in the way of elaborating. She'd been moody the trial before, for mysterious reasons Arlo couldn't begin to fathom, on through the night and into the morning. And in spite of his resolve to give her the space that he thought she wanted, it was contagious.

Maybe it was this island, he'd thought. Maybe there was something about it and if there was, he'd be happy when they were finally sailing away from it. Something was bothering her. But just the trial before she'd told him that when she got quiet, to just give her the room to brew in it...or something to that effect, till she was ready not to any more. Arlo was fairly sure that was a terrible, terrible idea. It left him with no idea when the silence would end, and unsure if she'd ever tell him what it was that had gotten under her hide. And without him knowing what the pitfall was, sooner or later he'd be tumbling into it all over again.

"Right," he said when she asked about the story that they'd be telling the natives. So far as he was concerned, it was the most reasonable approach to a problem that had developed because of others being prideful and unreasonable. Cassion would be pleased, he figured. But more than that, well worth it if the fabrication ended a feud that had been going on for so long, that two tribes comprised of several generations each, were in danger of dying out. All their things were finally packed up, and they were ready to head back the way they'd come. "It would help maybe," he suggested as they picked up the path they'd followed the trial before, "if maybe you could stop calling it lying."

Neither of them really knew, Arlo pointed out, what story was told on those walls. They were guessing, at best. "And besides, there's always a little bit of truth woven into a good story, but the larger part of it by far is imagination." As a follower of the Storyteller himself, it would be like saying that all of storytelling was a farce, the stories lies and the tellers of stories, charlatans and sellers of snake oil. "If you'd rather I tell the tale, yeah, it's alright," he said, adjusting his bag across his back, and he smiled a little when she did.

He'd tell them about Cassion for sure. The adventurer, the storyteller, the lover of food and all the rest of it, Arlo told her. After all, if the tribe's ancestors had ended up shipwrecked here, they might have been adventurers themselves, and explorers. Chances were, it was probably the case. They might have even worshiped Cassion openly. Maybe they even prayed to him for deliverance when the storm hit...The one that had wrecked them on the island's deserted beaches.

Of course, it was a ways back to the village, and it was awfully quiet along the way. And even though he'd spent a great deal of time alone in the wilderness before they'd met, that same level of silence wasn't his preference. At least not right at that bit. But hadn't she told him not to push or press when she was bothered about something? He'd agreed, except that it was theory then and this was practice. He was finding it to be a dubious one and didn't care too much for it. Eventually it became too much, and when she slipped her hand into his, he had to ask. "So, I know I'm not s'posed to ask. But are you going to tell me what's bothering you before we get there, or after we leave?" he said.

Then Arlo paused on the path, turning towards Vega with a frown but taking her hands in his. "I mean you say you want to shout and be difficult less...But I'm not sure it's the better way," he said, and couldn't help smiling. 'I'm not used to the silent treatment and I don't think I like it much. How am I supposed to know what the problem is, or if I've done something to upset you, if you won't tell me what it is?" he asked.
Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Wandering, wondering.
Renown: +310
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:14 pm

He'd been quiet all morning, and Vega knew he was irritated at her. More and more, she was annoying him but she also just didn't understand what he wanted from her. She was doing her best to be who he wanted her to be. What more could she do? Apparently, she could stop calling it lying, even though it was just that. Vega looked at him and listened to his explanation, what he meant and she nodded. She wasn't going to call it lying in front of them, she was just trying to explain to him why she was concerned she might end up saying the wrong thing. Which, apparently, was saying the wrong thing and accusing him of being a charlatan. What an ironic experience life was. So, she nodded her head, "A'right. I won't call it that again." But yes, he was right, they had no idea what those people had believed so long ago. No idea at all and maybe their prayers were to Cassion.

Good for them, she thought with an internal huff.

They walked in silence together, whereas usually they'd chat, but that was fine and she slipped her hand into his. At which point he asked her a question and then stopped and spoke. Was she going to tell him what was bothering her? Vega considered asking him how long he had but she kept quiet. Then, though, he told her he didn't like the 'silent treatment' and why it wasn't good for him, and that was it. That was the straw.

Standing there on the dirt path which was barely a path at all, she stopped and she looked at him. And for the first time since Scalvoris docks, Vega looked truly and completely angry at him. "Yer an ass, Creede. An unmitigated, absolute and complete ass. Let me tell you why," Her gaze was furious and she glared at him and then opened her mouth to speak before closing it again. Without pause, she stepped forward and grabbed him by the shirt, pulling him to her and kissing him - all fire and passion and not the more controlled and careful gestures she'd been tending towards in all moments except their most intimate. "Cos of this," she said, breathlessly pulling back from him with eyes a deep indigo. Then, she thumped him. Hard "An' this. An' this too." Each one, a thump and, if he blocked it, she'd kick him and do her damnedest to just land a blow on him.

Vega wasn't angry any more. She was beyond it. But it was more than that, it was like a pressure cooker releasing and it seemed there'd been a lot of steam building. "I'm tryin' to be what you want, an' I don't know what that is no more, but I'm done tryin' an' up yours." Standing there, her hands balled into fists, she glared at him, As she built up her entirely justified and understandable ire, she realised that anger was more than creeping in. She'd gone way past anger and was continuing to charge ahead. "If I'm insecure, Arlo, don't tell me I'm wrong, reassure me. Don't tell me that o'course my legs will be fine, tell me that even if they aren't you'll still want me, only me an' always me, all your life. An' NO YOU DID NOT!" The last was yelled, before he told her that he had said that. Because he hadn't. And come to that, she yelled, him and that other pillock who hadn't grown up yet either? The one whose discarded head wear he plonked on his stupid head like a crown? "You're both idiots." If she could, she'd stamp on his foot but, either way, she'd stamp hers. "Cos you'll risk everythin' for him but not me? Oh, you ASS!"

And at that, as much as she thought that she was about to hit him more, she started to cry, tears pouring down her face, but she was still fighting and furious at the same time. "Happy to risk leavin' me alone for all eternity, to become a statue!" Vega sobbed and thumped and kicked all at once. There was lots of anger in her, but no harm to her blows and they were no longer aimed, she was pummelling him. "When you get round to tellin' me about it, that is. That hurt more than my legs did, Arlo." Suddenly, without warning or preamble she stopped hitting him. "An' now, the latest news out of your INSENSITIVE THOUGHTLESS GOB is that you'll risk leavin' me alone but not risk havin' a family with me? How do you think that makes me feel you idiot?" She didn't want children, she told him, but what had just happened had given her a clear message and it wasn't one she liked.

"I love you. More'n I can tell you. So much that, if you jump over a chasm an' die, or fall down a sinkhole, or yer STUPID hat falls down an' strangles your stupid face there will never be another for me. Never. You're it. The one, the only one. An' if you become a statue, or you get turned into a granitee or whatever stupid thing you do next, I'll be there. Even if I'm talkin' to myself in a cave for the next eighty arcs jus' in case you can hear me." She looked at him and aimed a sudden, swift and not at all gentle kick at his shins.

"But if havin' a family with me is more scary to you than any o' that, then we have got a serious problem an' I'm not puttin' up with it. Cos I'm all in this, Arlo, no matter what happens an' if you aren't?" She'd more or less stopped crying for the last few bits, but at this she started again even as she gestured wildly in a mostly just not-here direction. "Then you jus' walk an' keep walkin' an' we'll call it a done deal." She wasn't prepared to come in as more scary than eternity as a statue or less important than a half-rate kisser in a crap hat who frankly looked like he needed a good scrub and was probably the only being in Idalos worse at relationships than he was, Vega told him. Tears ran down her cheeks but she glared at him, defiantly. "An' next time he tells you to not tell me somethin' you set him straight. There's nothin' but truth an' love an' passion between us, or there's nothin' between us at all." She knew what she wanted, she said. She wanted him, and them and nothing else. "But what happens now is up to you, cos I'm done tryin' to be someone I'm not. This is me. Broken, mended, kidnapped an' crazed, I'm sure. But either I'm perfect in your eyes like you are in mine, or I'm not good enough for you. You decide an' take your time." Yeah, Vega thought - even she would have to admit that she really really didn't mean that last bit.

Return to “The Stormlands”