• Site News • News & New Features!

This thread will keep you updated on news and new features!

Announcements which apply to the whole site.

Moderator: Staff

Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Race: Prophet
Renown: 666
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Re: News & New Features!

Important Announcement

I'm sure that everyone has noticed what we have (un)fondly dubbed the "site burps" we have. The current server has become quite flaky and we've made the decision to move to a different server.

Why has this decision been made?
Frankly, because Tech Guy said it was a good idea and we trust him. The site burps are getting worse not better and there is nothing that we can do about them - there's also been two instances of unexplained crashing in the last few months - and we don't get communication about them.

Tech Guy has scoured the interwebs and found a new host provider which gives us much better performance analytics, allows us to use memcache, CDN and opcache (I have no idea what they are, but TG tells me they're good!) at no additional cost, and performs much better. To give you an example that even I can understand - when comparing the current server with the new one:

Current Server
Half of the time we take over 1.7 seconds to return a page,
the longest time to return a page was 7.2 seconds.

New Server
The new server is currently running on a lower spec than we'll pay for (it's a free trial) and when the same test was run:

Half of the time, it took less than 0.3 seconds to return a page.
the longest time to return a page was 0.5 of a second.

So, long story short. We've been testing a mirror version of our site on there for the last week and we're at the point where we have things up and running.

When is this happening?

The time frame we have is as follows:

1) The Live Site (this site) will go offline to all on Friday 24th June @ 6pm UK time! (world clock if you need to know what time / date that is where you are! . )
2) TG will copy the current DB to the new site.
3) We will update some configs
4) We will smoke testthis is what TG calls it when we do "broadly checking that it's working" sorts of tests the new site to make sure the copy went OK
5) Re-launch ( this could take a day or so as the DNS changes will take a while to propagate, but there's nothing we can do about this due to the limitations of the control the existing hosting company give us)

I will keep Discords informed - but I am aware that not everyone uses Discord. So, therefore, if you want to be kept informed but don't use discord, please PM me before Friday with an email address to contact you at.

If you have any questions, please do let us know. Make sure that you've saved everything and, if you want to write over the weekend, save some posts.

Best

Pegs.
word count: 492
~~Red in hoof and claw... ~~

Family visiting. Send help!
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Server Move Update
We're working towards the server move on Friday and, in preparation we're going to be changing a few forum images, and changing some forum descriptions which don't fit, etc.

The main impact for players will be that we are going to be renaming the "Reviewers' Section" forum (it will remain a subforum in this one) to "Reviews & Claims" (or something like that) - and we're going to move the Claim Threads for Wealth, Language, Point Bank - all into that forum. That way, if you're claiming anything (review, money, etc) where you have to do the "fill in a form, we go down the list" it's all in one place.

Remember - the site will go down on Friday 6pm my time (world clock!) - so save anything you want / need to have to be writing over the weekend.

Anyone who wants to be kept informed and isn't in a city discord (we'll keep city discords updated) - please pm me and let me know an email that you can be contacted at.

Thanks!

Pegs.
word count: 181

Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Profession: Rharne City Moderator
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Hello Players,

We've moved several threads from the PSF to the Review & Claims forum. This includes the Wealth Thread claim, the PSF collection, and the Language Claims threads.

You might also notice that we've altered some of the more low--res and out of date images for the forum. Don't worry, this is just part of the preparations for the updating/move to the new server. We figure if we're going to change images at all, best to do it now. There were a few images that were terribly out of date and low resolution, that we just couldn't help but replace.

Here are a few links:

Point Bank Collection: viewtopic.php?t=26151
Point Bank Menu: viewtopic.php?t=3426
Point Bank Menu on the Wiki: wiki/index.php?title=Peer_Reviewer_Rewards_Point_Bank

Thanks, as always if there are questions or feedback, please post them to the Q & A Forum, or the Bug Report thread.

word count: 163
Avatar provided by the wonderful Pegasus
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

New Feature & Server Move Reminder
New Feature: Skills in Posts
If you have a look at any post - say for example this thread - on the right hand side, underneath the character's Avatar and the gubbins there - beneath the medals is a little link that says "View Skills"

Click on that and it gives you the list of skills which are in the PC's UCP (so skills they have added there). Just looking at that tells you the level, but if you mouse over it gives you the number of XP and knowledges.

Massive thanks to Tech Guy for this - it's super useful, and it's an interpretation of a suggestion / request from Praetorum, who asked for an easy-to-see-lots-of-skills list. Thanks for the suggestion, Prae!

Server Move
The server move will be happening tomorrow (Friday) 6pm my time (world clock!) - so save anything you want / need to have to be writing over the weekend.

Anyone who wants to be kept informed and isn't in a city discord (we'll keep city discords updated) - please pm me and let me know an email that you can be contacted at.

Thanks!

Pegs.
word count: 198

Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Hello friends,

We've made a small change, an edit to the Immortal marks of Vhalar and Zanik. Because it was weird that the Immortal of Art didn't boost Art skill, and the Immortal of Strength didn't boost Strength skill. So now their skill-boosting powers do that, respectively.

Thanks, as always if there are questions or feedback, please post them to the Q & A Forum, or the Bug Report thread.

word count: 73
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Server Move!
Well, it feels almost anticlimatic! It was done and dealt with quickly and efficiently. But it was that way because Tech Guy gave us a practice site to try and break - and myself, Pigs, Avalon and Vulpes tries really hard to break it (Avalon got an uber-hammer-of-doom, Vulpes managed to find a bug literally no one had except Praetorum and Pig Boy stoicly refused to get emails no matter how much we tried!!!)

So that meant that, when we got to the "real" thing - it was so prepared for - it was sorted.

Massive thank you to Tech Guy. Because of him, we have a Dev Site where we try out new things, play around, practice and try to break them - that means that we can have new things AND they don't impact us. Huge humongous thanks to Avalon, Pig Boy and Vulpes - you testers are the best(ers)!

Hopefully this means the end of "site burps" - much speedier site, and, all in all, things being much smoother.

And - I have just one thing to ask of each player who reads this.

Please just keep writing your stories. Your stories are ace.

Best,
Pegs.
word count: 199

Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Heya folks,

We're making a small piecemeal change to Moseke's mark of Sevrath. Previously it didn't have Gardening as a skill boosted by the mark. For the Immortal of life and nature. Crazy right? We've added Gardening to the skills boosted by Moseke now.

Sevrath

Thanks!

If you have any questions or concerns, please direct them to the Q & A forum.
word count: 65
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

15,000 Threads!
Congratulations to Woe and Winston for this thread. It's the 15,000th thread in the forums.

That's 15,000 fabulous stories told. Here's looking forward to the next 15,000. Awesome stuff!

(Edit cos I did a 0 too many lol! <3 )

word count: 48

Pig Boy
City Moderator
City Moderator
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

RP Medals

Staff

Events

Hello all, I've gone and added a few new medals to the Flair library for Standing Trials. Here is what they're called:

House Owner - Have your own house location written-up and approved.
Property Mogul - Own 10 separate properties / lands / houses at a time.
Sea Dweller - Own your own boat
Starting from Scratch - - awarded to players who complete their first thread in a settlement
Building the Basics - - Awarded to players who have completed 5 threads in a settlement
Settling Down - - Awarded to players who have completed 10 threads in a settlement
Village Life - - Awarded to players who have completed 20 threads in a settlement
Commendable Commodore: - 50 threads at sea
Admirable Admiral: - 100 threads at sea

As ever, if you are eligible for any of these medals and wish to acquire them, let us know and please link us to the thread that is relevant to the achievement. Thanks!

You may apply for new medals here

word count: 158
Pegasus Pug!!!
City Moderator
City Moderator
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Heya,

Just an FYI, really - RL is kicking me about quite a lot at the moment and I have family responsibilities which mean I'm going to be largely absent from the site for a few weeks, I think. Apologies!

Pegs.
word count: 41

Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Global Announcements”