• Closed • That's an Order

Elyna

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.
Malcolm
Race: Naerikk
Renown: 179
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal
Wealth Tier: Tier 1

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

That's an Order

63 Ashan 716
Malcolm had been put on light duties for the first few days back at work, not that he believed he needed such, it was more about keeping up with appearances that convinced him to go along with it. Light duties, of course, meant a lot of paper work or standing around, answering letters from concerned locals and walking some of the nicer, less troublesome streets. It also meant work during the daylight hours which he wasn't used too, other than the odd class or two he lectured for at the university every now and then.
With his shift over, however, and plenty of time left of the afternoon, Malcolm got up onto his horse and steered the animal away from the stables, heading down towards the eastern gate where he knew Heath and a few others from his usual team were about to start their shift. The gelding trotted nicely across the cobblestone roads, but as soon as he felt the grass beneath his hooves beyond the drawbridge, Malcolm could feel the animal grow restless. He allowed the horse to speed up while crossing the field and when he caught sight of Heath riding in from one of the neighbouring farm settlements where he lived, Malcolm pointed the animal in the man's direction and pulled up alongside him.
"Captain!" Heath beamed, "you're looking well."
"And feeling so thanks to you, my friend."
"Don't mention it," Heath told him, "I know you would have done the same."
"No I would have taken you to the infirmary," he said honestly.
"You're my commanding officer, have you ever known me to disobey an order?"
"No," Malcolm smiled again, "which is why I appreciate what you did for me when you know it goes against our code."

Heath nodded.
Malcolm was quiet for a time before bringing up what was really on his mind. "Lady Elyna," he said, "you've not seen her?"
"Not since that night," Heath admitted.
"She's not shown up for patrol?"
"Not with us, Lord."
"I see, well, enjoy your evening, I will be on patrol with you tomorrow night, dockside."
"I look forward to it," Heath smiled.

Malcolm nudged his mount's sides, urging the horse forwards all of the sudden. The gelding broke away from formation and cantered towards the city, but instead of going in through the gate, Malcolm continued around the outer wall, headed south. When he later arrived at the southern gate he dismounted and let the guard on the other side of the drawbridge take the reins to lead the animal into the temporary stables while Malcolm went on foot, making his way towards the barracks where most of the young Knights and Skyriders were housed.
At the main office, he asked for the address of Elyna Burhan and was given directions after presenting his pins as proof of rank; information such as this was not given to just anyone, a person had to be captain or higher to acquire it. He walked along the pathways until he came to the right wing and turned to enter the building. Malcolm navigated the halls, admiring the artworks that decorated the walls and doorways. He was unfamiliar with the layout of the barracks and twice asked for directions from the odd passerby to make sure he was on the right track without giving away who he was looking for.
When he was sure he had found the right door, Malcolm tucked in the back of his white, long-sleeved shirt that had come undone during the ride and fastened the single button that held the deep V in his top closed. The captain looked down the hall and then to see that no one was coming and knocked three times before turning side on, his fingers laced together behind his back while he waited for someone, hopefully the noble woman herself, to answer.
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 664
Elyna
Approved Character
Profession: Official Troublemaker
Renown: 231
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

That's an Order

The last three nights had been spent amongst the clouds and stars above the city itself. She had been flying with her own Captain as there was still a lot to learn. Elyna had been hopeful that returning to the skies would help shake off the darkness she felt curling within, but in truth she felt numb. Her Captain had made several remarks about her quietness but hadn’t intruded, the older woman knew what had transpired in the city less than two weeks before. It also wasn’t unusual for the young woman to go for long periods of quiet, and she performed her duties well and with exacting precision.

Elyna had fallen into bed a few breaks into full morning. She ached all over, flying used a few different muscle groups to riding and it hurt to return after an absence. She was determined not to be side-tracked again. Her foray into assisting the Knights had ended in disaster. There would be other opportunities and chances to renew her training in the city streets. But for now, everyone was much better off if she were absent. She’d been restless, shifting from side to side as the morning wore on, the birds singing outside the window. The beat of a sudden rain storm on the roof overhead. She hadn’t slept. Her mind wouldn’t ease. There were still flashbacks from the alley and all of the blood. She pulled the pillow over her head and tried to drown out the noise beyond the building. But the city didn’t sleep, whether or not she had to be awake in a few hours to return to her skyward patrol.

Finally, she’d fallen into a fitful doze and woken abruptly a couple of hours later. She couldn’t be late, could she? She scrambled up and peered out the window. The quick glance told her that there were still hours from reporting in to the stables. She scrubbed the sleep from her eyes and fastened her own shirt, padding barefoot through the rooms until she could open the door. The young woman only half-opened it, cautious of who might be beyond. Seeing the Knight Captain she stepped back, holding the door open with a gesture to invite him. Imitating the Lady Verona’s welcome to the lessons of etiquette. Although there were probably rules about inviting a married man into ones rooms. Surely it was better than him waiting outside though?

“Ser? You seem much better,” She swallowed, gaze moving over his face quickly. He seemed much better, up and seeing and walking unaided. It was then she realised that she herself still look bedraggled, and hurriedly pushed her hands through her hair tucking it back behind her ears.

“I’m about to make some tea…?” Elyna suggested. What could he be here for…it couldn’t be for any good reason. He looked very official.
Last edited by Elyna on Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 498
Malcolm
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

That's an Order

An invitation was extended but Malcolm did not take the woman up on it, as he too knew how inappropriate it would look to walk out of her room, even seconds later. Instead he kept his hands behind his back, a relaxed stance for the captain, and suggested an alternative, “Good afternoon, Lady Elyna,” his voice was warm and full of life, “might I interest you in a walk of the grounds? You can show me around the barracks.”

As a captain, Malcolm had little reason to be seen here, he did not work with knights or their squires, but professionals that had been trained to fight and do whatever it took to get the job done. The look on his face was stern, and yet there in his eyes, anticipation hinted at his ability to readily accept if she did not wish to leave her room, and instead send him packing. “My team has not seen or heard from you these last few days and I was worried something had happened?”

Perhaps just a change of heart, he assumed, but it was only polite to stop by and either wish her well, or talk her out of it.
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 207
Elyna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

That's an Order

Heat started rising from her neck and she nodded slowly, peering past him through the window, “of course,” he had ventured all of the way here. It would have been rude to refuse so bluntly. She turned, scanned the entranceway of her rooms and spotted her boots. Her stockings however were elsewhere.

“Uh…one moment…” she let the door close and could be heard retreating back through her rooms only to appear after a short period of time with boots on and laced, and her jerkin pulled on against any further bouts of rain. Her hair, she’d left loose and it trailed down her back as she stepped outside and turned to secure the door behind her. It wasn’t beyond her fellow knights and Skyriders to prank each other’s rooms if an easy target was left.

Elyna paused as she looked up at the Captain and pulled her bottom lip in, under her teeth before she turned and led the way back through the maze of corridors to the fresh spring air outside. It was then she looked askance at him again. Had something happened; was he serious? She curled her fingers around a lock of hair, tugging on it.

“You…I think…” she pulled in reluctant air, chest expanding with the breath, “I think it’s been made…abundantly clear that I don’t play well with others. At…at this point in time I seem to be a danger to those around me and therefore it is best that I…” Her eyes scanned the ground, “its best that I stay away.” Not that she wanted to. If she were honest, she wanted the opposite. She wanted more time with the group of Knights.
Last edited by Elyna on Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total. word count: 296
Malcolm
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

That's an Order

He was used to people, especially women, playing the victim, but this wasn't the case, no, this time Elyna actually had been the victim of an attack and the way she spoke now, the way she blamed herself, told Malcolm more than she could know. He stopped, not having realised the rain had started while he had been working his way through the network of hallways in the building. Under a nearby tree, he spotted a bench and the canopy of the tree seemed vast enough to shelter them from the light onslaught of rain.

Without saying a word, Malcolm crossed the courtyard quickly to stand under the tree, only to look back at Elyna and raised his hands playfully as if to say, ‘well, aren’t you going to join me?’ When she inevitably did, he put his cloak down on the bench seat for her to sit on and parked himself a foot and a half from her side. “None of this is your fault,” he wanted to make that perfectly clear. “I deal with these kinds of things more often than you think, I’m just glad this time I got to save a girl rather than find her washed ashore somewhere, or abandoned under a pile of broken crates,” he said honestly.

The captain turned and watched Elyna’s reaction, the thought that went on behind those warm, brown eyes and the trouble she seemed to be having holding his gaze. “I’m not here to convince you to come back, you’re a grown woman, you know what is best,” a lie, he thought, even as the words flew from the tip of his tongue, “but rather to thank you for the time you did give us, the others enjoyed your company, as did I.”
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 309
Elyna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

That's an Order

She lurked beneath the awning as she realised the rain had returned, when he spread his arms like that though, it was hard not to smile. With one hand over her head, as if that would do any good, she sprinted over the lush grass and skidded to a halt beneath the cover of the tree. She looked up, a few rogue spots of water made their way through the branches and landed on her face. Elyna shook them off.

Fascinated by his movements Elyna remained silent as she watched him lay out his cloak before taking the offered seat. It wasn’t as if the other people she associated with were rough, but they were less considerate. His consistent kindness was a welcome surprise.

It wasn’t her fault he said, and she felt the emotion pooling in her features. The rush of sadness that tugged at the corners of her mouth and made her look up, blinking as drops of rain slid over the leaves, sneaking through the green canopy. She pressed her teeth together, jaw set as she struggled for control. His words painted a stark reality. Yes, that could have been the outcome. She found that she couldn’t turn back to him and so stared ahead. One droplet landed on the back of her neck and she wriggled as it started sliding down her back. She would never understand why that red-headed man hadn’t stopped. She could partially see that he would follow her out, but once she’d put him down on the ground? It had never occurred to her to put him down more permanently.

Her fingers shook as she reached up, pressing them to her lips. What was it about the Captain that kept making it so difficult to breathe, through sadness or fear or something else but her chest felt tight and it was a struggle to keep things in order, her thoughts in particular. They danced back and forth between the past and present. The group had enjoyed her company and she had enjoyed their warm companionship. Malcolm had enjoyed her company.

“I’ll get you killed,” the words fell like lead. She was deadly serious.

“Maybe I’m cursed by the immortals but I don’t…I don’t see why they’d bother with me – but I’ll get you killed, or one of your team…and you won’t see it coming and everyone will say that it’s no one’s fault,” She pressed her fingers together once more, “but it will be. It’ll be mine.”
word count: 441
Malcolm
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

That's an Order

“Yes,” he agreed, “one day I will die, but as you may have already discovered, and despite your best efforts, that is rather hard to do.”

Perhaps now was not the best time to choose humour over seriousness, but Elyna needed to see that she wasn’t cursed and that mistakes happened, to both good and bad people. “I find the Immortals have very little time for us unless we can be of some use. Believe me, Lady Elyna, any Immortal malicious enough to do such a thing would have far more fun carrying out such acts him or herself.”

As Malcolm spoke he found himself absently toying with the small, gold medallion around his neck on a long, narrow but sturdy chain. On one side the face of Vri, Immortal of death, sadness, remembrance, and love, while on the other, the image of Jesine, keeper of the domains of dreams, sleep, and imagination was depicted in all of her somnolent beauty. Still, Malcolm thought to himself, he must remember that he had not come here to convince her to return to active duty with them, or at least let on that such was his intention.
“If you ever need a recommendation,” he said then, staring ahead as Elyna had been, “I know a few knights who have taken time off to study at the university, or do something else for an arc before they returned to work,” he was referring to people like Kathryn who had also been attacked in her first year with the Moseke Knights, only no one had been there to stop her aggressor.

The rain eased up for a spell and the sun even threatened to return before it ducked behind a thick wall of cloud again, ominous and grey. The silence that settled between them did not feel uncomfortable, but then, Malcolm was oblivious to anything the young woman might be feeling or thinking concerning him. He had often been told by those who had struggled to get to know him at first, how strange his aura was, enticing and yet, there was something about him that made people wary and kept them on their toes.
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 370
Elyna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

That's an Order

Elyna shook her head, it wasn’t what she’d meant. She also had no intention of taking a back seat to study. She knew where she belonged. The young woman stretched out her legs, lifting one foot then the other to inspect the toes of her boots.

“No…I know that this sounds ridiculous but I know that this is what I am supposed to do with my life. You’d never believe it,” she let out a soft laugh, “but I’m actually quite good at this…being a Skyrider,” she waved hand towards the training grounds and barracks that were home. She hesitated, wondering if she was being to honest and saying too much when she continued, “I feel lost Malcolm,” she dropped all pretence at formality she bowed her head, eyes closed.

“This life with the Riders and the Knights it’s all I’ve got and I’m making such a mess of it because the pain…just…” her breath came ragged and she flinched, “it just doesn’t stop. So I make mistakes that I shouldn’t and I don’t sleep and then there’s the fighting,” she glanced at him, expecting horror that perhaps the person before him wasn’t suited to this after all. It was her own fear, that all the secrets would come undone.

Elyna tore her gaze back “I just want to forget…” she spoke down at her hands, “I can’t change the past but I don’t want to live there all the time either.” The words ran out before she could say anything else and reveal too much of the darkness she tried desperately to hide from the rest of the world.

“I suppose we all have our secrets,” she looked back at him, “what…what were you going to tell me?”
word count: 315
Malcolm
Character Sheet
Plot Notes
Partner
Personal Journal

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

That's an Order

Malcolm turned to look at Elyna as soon as his name was given breath by her lips. She had dropped the titles and etiquette to be frank with him, but Malcolm hadn’t quite let his guard down, at least, not since his secret had almost slipped, one she was now encouraging him to divulge again. “That I…,” he began, far away and already thinking up an excuse, but the way she searched his face for the truth pressed him to let a half-truth out, “I know how to help you forget,” he told her.

There was something he had learned about forgetting, however, that quite often one believed that was what they wanted, what they couldn’t live without, until the memory was plucked away from them. Yes, ignorance was bliss, but loss, or the thought of feeling as if you had forgotten or misplaced something, nagged so deeply at one’s soul it was often more difficult to deal with than the truth itself.
“I have this… ability,” he disclosed to her, and felt suddenly like an ant under the scrutinous gaze of a bird, looking for a mark one surely blessed with abilities would be branded with.

The captain didn’t offer to use said ability on the young woman, he wasn’t dimwitted enough to assume that just because she was admitting the struggle she was going through, that such was what she wanted, nor did he tell her to keep this information to herself, trusting instead that the Skyrider was not one to gossip.
Last edited by Malcolm on Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 268
Elyna
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Partner
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

That's an Order

Elyna wiped the back of her hand under both eyes. No tears had fallen but they’d been building, she listened to his admission, curious and a smile had spread over her features. Slowly, but a smile none the less, she raised a brow, “Ser…I have a rather… libidinous friend who keeps offering to help me ‘forget’ my troubles,” she chuckled to herself and shook her head again, hair splaying to the sides.

It was when he didn’t start laughing that she looked at him again, he was serious. He wasn’t joking and he didn’t mean in the same way that her ‘friend’ would either. She searched his gaze carefully, thinking back to what she knew of the man, “is it anything…” Elyna tilted her head to the side “the man in the alley…he had a wound on his neck,” she pressed her own fingertips to the skin outside her collar, “I don’t know how I got him there – I only had one knife and you were on the floor…” No. He’d not mentioned anything about forgetting that would connect it to a knife wound in the dark. If Malcolm had thrown a weapon, she could have easily missed it and it was clear that she had.

The young woman sank back against the bench, “and there is the problem. I want to forget and I do not…if I do then…it never happened. He never existed and…” she let out the air held captive in her lungs, “well I don’t know who I am either way. So maybe it doesn’t matter anymore,” she looked askance at the tall dark man beside her. The moments like this, few as they were, she enjoyed with him. The world was slightly simpler. The Skyrider had realized that she was drawn to the Captain. Like drops of water running together, another faint smile pulled at her features. A silly idea. Even if she were willing to admit the faintest sliver of attraction to man before her, he was married and utterly devoted to his wife. Two very solid reasons that the slightest inclination should be crushed and set aside. Three when she remembered Vanessa’s quiet calm and beauty. Besides, it wouldn’t be a new sensation for the handsome male before her to have fellow Knights or nobles pitching their fans and fluttering hearts toward him. She could imagine the rebukes and looked skyward again. The rain returned and she grinned. Silly ideas.

“I am flying tonight and tomorrow and then have a break,” she mused “…I like your group well enough but," she swallowed, “do you want me?” Back, to return. The other words fell into her head too late and she held onto her breath, realizing it was too late to add anything to what she’d said; and the longer her mind raced, the larger the pause grew so she looked ahead, pretending that she hadn't noticed her own embarrassing slip. Stupid words, stupid brain! If etiquette lessons would prevent this type of mistake up, then she would devote her entire life to them!
Last edited by Elyna on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total. word count: 534
Locked Request an XP Review Claim Wealth Thread

Return to “Andaris”