Reporting for Duty

Zana meets her new professor

The greatest repository of knowledge and most prestigious center of learning in all of Idalos.

Moderators: Banshee, Whisper

Zana
Approved Character
Race: Mortal Born
Profession: Living a libertine lifestyle.
Renown: +114
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Re: Reporting for Duty

Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:10 pm

"My compliance, Professor?" Zana asked, apparently surprised that he should be interested in securing such a thing. Her smile was wicked as she glanced at him. "I've always found that the best way to ensure my compliance is to ask me very nicely to do something I already want to," she replied. Her voice was soft and amused as she looked at him and her crystal blue eyes regarded him as though she found him to be, as she had said, endearing. He didn't like the way that she turned his words back on him, Zana thought, but then if that was the case then he should be more careful in what he said, she considered. That way, she'd have nothing to twist.

And then he did it again. "Your looks, Professor? I don't believe I've mentioned your physical appearance once, have I?" Playing the conversation back, Delroth's daughter was quite sure. She'd thought plenty, especially about his bushy overhang over his eyes. "It is your behaviour I find adorable, I assure you." Just a slight pause and then she added, "But it's good to have a robust ego. Well done, you." Zana enjoyed the sort of verbal sparring and more than that, she enjoyed the ever-so-slight look of surprise on his face when she asked him relevant, insightful questions.

Immortals help her.

If he had any idea just how close to actual dying of boredom she had come, he'd pity her, she was sure. Watching him curiously, Zana wondered what he would do if she asked him to pity her, in fact. She didn't ask, but it was a thought. She looked at him when he spoke of blood being the best bet. That was good, it was what she and Cassian were using already - although he'd suggested that bone might be useful, too. When he spoke about Edasha's tears, though, Zana's lips lifted into a slight smile "Well, if your theory is correct, Professor, Edasha is my Aunt," she replied. "And as much as I can be a dreadfully selfish person, I would not wish tears on a family member." She shrugged slightly and looked up at him with an impish expression. "As for someone else's beauty, Professor, I personally have always believed that true beauty comes from within." She had innocent and truthful down to a fine art, it seemed.

When he agreed to call her by her first name, Zana smiled in genuine pleasure. Did she have any questions thought? With a thoughtful frown she was quiet for a moment and then asked. "I have two. Do you work with the medical department in order to maximise the efficiency of the blood you use and," considering it she nodded a little at the thought. "Where do you get the blood from?"
Our love is a bed of nails, love hurts good on a bed of nails.
I'll lay you down and when all else fails, drive you like a hammer on a bed of nails
word count: 531
Doran
Approved Character
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: +255
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 22

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:56 am

As Zana informed him that Edasha was her aunt and that she wouldn’t wish tears on a family member, the Mortalborn briefly wondered if Edasha was his aunt as well – and if this spoiled child here was in fact one of his many cousins. He didn’t find the notion of being related to her particularly appealing – although, he had to admit that she was quite the actress. She had gone from an arrogant brat to an innocent young woman within the blink of an eye – which was something that he found astonishing, to say the least. It made him wonder how she would have fared on the battlefield in Oscillus or in the City of Stones.

As she insisted that true beauty came from within, his lips twisted into a small half-smile as he found that statement to be laughable at best. As far as he was concerned, it was something that had been made up in order to make people whose physical characteristics were lacking feel better about themselves. She had actual questions about his work though, and thus he decided not to dwell on the matter of beauty, but turned to answer, furrowing his brow for a moment as he did so, as he wondered why she wanted to know where the blood came from. Did she think that he murdered people in his spare time and used their dead bodies for alchemy?

He shook his head slightly, finding the notion amusing.

“As I told you before, Zana, I’m a doctor of some skill myself. I do my work alone, whenever I can – although I may occasionally consult the medical department if I need a second opinion on something. As for where I get the blood from, willing donors, for the most part. There are a surprising number of people that are happy to help an alchemist of my skill. If you aren’t squeamish, you may watch sometime”, he offered. As his assistant she needed to be familiar with every aspect of his work after all – which included the process of harvesting blood and preparing it so that it could be used for alchemy.

“Is that all?” he wanted to know after he had given her a few moments to think about what he had just said and freak out at the prospect of coming in contact with blood and other bodily fluids, if she so desired. “If there’s anything that isn’t clear yet, now’s the best time to say it, Zana”, he informed her in a clipped, cool tone, arms clasped behind his back.
word count: 443
Zana
Approved Character
Profession: Living a libertine lifestyle.
Renown: +114
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 6

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:01 pm

He was so wonderfully self absorbed, Zana had to admire him. He ignored what he did not wish to speak of, he assumed what he wished to be true and then, he maintained his superiority by doing so. That was fine, there was no problem there as far as Zana was concerned. She rather liked his arrogance, in truth. It amused her and not many people did - not for those reasons anyhow. He'd smiled an almost genuine smile when he'd thought she was trying to find out who he was, he was bordering on delighted when he thought he'd caught her out. She was surprised, in truth, that he hadn't jumped on her comment about Edasha. After all, she'd been careful to say that if his theory was correct, then Edasha was her aunt. But she would bet money that, in the brain which hid behind those caterpillar brows, he thought she'd admitted something.

The difference, as Zana saw it, between her and him was that she was aware of her arrogance and she knew what it was and what it made her prone to. Him, though? He was controlled by it. His own sense of superiority was his weakness. With a gentle smile as she moved over to where they were working, in return to his sneer as she said that beauty came from within, Zana considered that it was, sadly, a typically male weakness. She didn't mind, she'd been a prostitute most of her life and she'd used the dreadful weakness which was the male ego to her advantage time and again. Yet still. If he was a mortalborn, she thought, he would learn.

If he wasn't, he would probably die before he worked it out. Such was the fate of most men.

It was why Theo had been such a good handler, she considered. He was an arrogant, boastful, prideful man. Yet he knew it, he did not consider them to be weaknesses, but rather as motivating factors which he controlled. And when faced with the usual male pride, ego and arrogance, it was what made him so far superior.

He worked alone? Zana nodded her head in understanding. "I wondered if collaboration helps you, Professor. It will help me gauge how best to do my job, after all, to discern your working style and aim to augment and compliment it appropriately." She looked at him and smiled when he offered to let her watch. "I'm not squeamish at all, Professor." She looked at him quite genuinely when she said that. It was a far cry from what she was, it had to be said.

When he asked his final question, though, she considered and shook her head. "No, Professor. I think I understand as much as I need to. In order to facilitate our working relationship, though, I will tell you that Delroth is not my actual surname. I am marked by the Immortal. I can show you if you care to see," if he wanted to see, she would indeed show him the feather-like marks along her back. "My family would not approve of me being here. So, I do not use my actual name." With a slight smile she added. "Although I will not be donating my blood until I've seen more, if you do not mind. But I thought, all flirting with you aside, I should be honest." She probably should, she thought. She wasn't going to be though. "But no, Professor. You've been quite thorough. Thank you." She stood and waited to see if that was that as far as he was concerned.
Our love is a bed of nails, love hurts good on a bed of nails.
I'll lay you down and when all else fails, drive you like a hammer on a bed of nails
word count: 666
Doran
Approved Character
Profession: Alchemist
Renown: +255
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Player Review
Templates
Letters
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 22

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:22 am

“Good“, Doran remarked as Zana informed him that she wasn’t squeamish. He was, he had to admit, rather relieved that she apparently didn’t have any issues with the more delicate aspects of alchemy. He had half-feared that she would be one of those women that thought that breaking a nail or getting a bit of dirt on their pretty clothes was the end of the world and that ran away when they saw a bit of blood – or just passed out on the spot. He just hoped that she didn’t change her mind when it came to actually assisting him. He had little to no patience for such foolish and thoroughly pointless behaviour.

“I see”, he murmured somewhat thoughtfully as he turned to inspect her mark, finding the way that the feathers seemed to move somewhat peculiar. He momentarily wondered what kind of abilities Delroth had afforded her and if they were as powerful as the ones that Syroa had given to him – although he would never tell her or anybody else in Viden about his alliance with the Immortal of Fury of course if he could help it. It was none of their business.

As she insisted that Delroth was not her actual surname, that she was in fact not a Mortalborn, but just a woman that studied something that her parents disapproved of, he raised an eyebrow and looked at her appraisingly, wondering what the point of her little charade was before he remarked in a cool tone, “I don’t care if you are a mortal woman or Delroth’s daughter, Zana, as long as you do your job well, but you should choose your words more carefully and not contradict yourself as much. ‘You're correct, of course, Delroth is my father’ – those were your exact words. If you keep that up, you will find that people will start to question everything that you say.”

“That’s it”,
he added, having noticed that she was still there. “I’ll see you again tomorrow morning.” With that he turned away from her in order to start planning the following trial. He had a class to teach after all. As he looked for the chemicals that he would need for the demonstration that he planned on conducting, the thought of reading her mind in order to find out why she was lying to him briefly occurred to him. A moment later he decided that, no matter how appealing she was, she wasn’t worth the headaches and the other negative side effects that came with using the abilities that his Immortal blood afforded him.

Not in the least.
word count: 452
Oberan
Approved Character
Profession: Part-time God
Renown: -63
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Medal count: 2

Contribution

Miscellaneous

Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:39 pm

Review Rewards

For sure the swiftest of Taylors

Points awarded: 15

Knowledge:

Acting: Pretending to be interested
Acting: Switching roles often
Acting: Ditzy airhead to bright young woman in a blink.
Deception: Mixing lies and truth
Deception: It's important to have a good memory
Deception: Ensure that you keep your opponent on their toes
Deception: Contradict yourself often to remain elusive
Deception: Sometimes, someone knowing you're lying is ok.
Persuasion: Persuading someone that they are non-scientific
Persuasion: An air of arrogance can portray confidence
Persuasion: Ask pertinent questions to strengthen your argument
Persuasion: I lied because you're adorable

Magic: No magic exp

Other: +1 job, +5 fame for getting it

Bringer of Despair, Slayer of Hope

Points awarded: 15

Knowledge:

Detection: Spotting inconsistencies in somebody's story
Intimidation: Listing all your accomplishments
Intimidation: Taking advantage of your height
Leadership: Maintaining professional distance
Leadership: Carrying yourself with confidence
Research: Acquiring a research assistant
Research: Listing your research topics
Research: Sometimes it's necessary to get a second opinion
Research: Answering questions about your research
Research: Some people willingly provide materials for your research
Teaching: An impromptu lesson on Immortals and their offspring
Teaching: Preparing for the following trial's lesson

Magic: No magic exp

Other: +1 assistant, +5 fame for getting her

Notes:
Hahaha! Quite entertaining! I love how Zana and Doran bounce off each other. They're two of a kind, they are!

Your review request is here.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns in regards to this review, feel free to PM.
word count: 259
Just because I shouldn't doesn't mean I won't.

"Speaking"| If it's a sentence, then it's a thought|"Others speaking"
Mortalborn Abilities | Die Roller

Return to “Viden Academy”