The Butler with a Candlestick in Ryder's House

For one Ms. Velaine Krome

Atop a stony plateau overlooking the lands of central Idalos, and growing wealthy from the gem stones pulled from the rocky soil, Etzos is a bastion of independence; firm in its belief that man should rule Idalos, not be servants of the vain Immortals who nearly destroyed it. But can the many factions set aside their conflicting agendas and see this through?

Moderator: Maltruism

Aegis
Storyteller (TL)
Storyteller (TL)
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Wealth Tier: Tier 1
Medal count: 14

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Re: The Butler with a Candlestick in Ryder's House

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:49 am

Date

Velaine's fire spears rocketed toward the chiming Traitorstone necklace. The Mantis recognized her mistake a bit too late, after all, she was not normally one of the one's to carry a traitorstone. She moved to evade the fire spears, but two caught her, one in the cloak, igniting it up, coaxed by Velaine, the other in her legs. The woman was quick to shed the burning cloak, but the trousers were another problem entirely. She screamed as the flames burned into the fatty flesh there, sizzling and filling the air with the scent. The other fires ignited the crates in the warehouse, illuminating the entire area for Velaine.

The Mantis woman scrambled to get the flaming trousers off, but fell in the process, the damage done. She got them off, exposing the burnt, blackened skin and muscle. She was on the ground, her face instantly slick with sweat from the pain and the rising heat. Embers floated through the air, and the woman reached for a small pistol cross bow on her belt. Her hands were slow. She brought it up, but she didn't have it loaded. She was scrambling to find a bolt on her person, panic setting in, as her traitorstone chimed and chimed and chimed.

Then she saw her bolts quiver, on the trousers that were now smoldering a few feet away.

There was nothing left for the woman. She gave up, looking at Velaine with fearful eyes. "You scum will never win. We'll purge the kingdom of you. There's nothing you can do about it." She then feebly threw the crossbow at Velaine. "I will see the Eternal Kingdom. You'll know nothing but pain and torture for eternity. Kill me, witch. My family will be cared for. The same cannot be said for yours."

She scowled one last time at Velaine before closing her eyes, awaiting what she felt was inevitable.

word count: 336
Velaine Krome
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +100
Character Sheet
Secrets
Plot Notes
Templates
Letters
Wealth Tier: Tier 5
Medal count: 2

Featured

RP Medals

Re: The Butler with a Candlestick in Ryder's House

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:38 pm

It had worked.

Her flame raged around as it devoured the woman’s leg. Velaine felt nothing as she heard the screams. She had no interest in pitying someone who had damned dozens of people to a similar fate. The smell of burning flesh made her stomach churn and for a split moment, she swore Elrik’s charred body was once again laid out in front of her. When the hunter fell, her prey finally approached.

Once she was close enough, it was impossible not to notice that the woman was about her age. Almost pretty. Velaine took her in, making sure she had no more tricks left under her sleeves. Her bloody fingers wrapped around the stone and yanked it from the Mantis’s neck. The small item had led the hunters to her mentor, led him to his death.

“Family?” she asked, laughing mirthlessly as her fiery ether slowly died down. One by one they withered, until only an orb of flame was left alight. “What family are we talking about exactly? My mother and father who barely cared about me? Sees me only as a bargaining chip? My betrothed who left me and broke my heart because the lies and fear you spread about mages? Or maybe my brother who is in gods-who-knows-where right now?”

The young woman looked down on the bleeding mage hunter, ashes raining all around her. Her eyes were glassy, but not a single tear escaped. She should be shaking, with grief and anger, scream in rage and bitterness. Yet, all that came out of her was a deadly calm, her voice as serene as a priest. She barely even felt the wounds on her body. “My family… The person who never left me, who always supported me… You and your people already burnt him on a stake. Elrik. That was his name. You burnt him along with a sixteen arc old girl simply for existing. I think it is you that will surely suffer for eternity.”

It would be so easy to call upon the fire once more. It was only right after all, to give her a taste of her own medicine. But the Krome found herself unable to do it.

Her magic was Elrik’s gift to her. All she had left of him and she had no interest in tainting that gift with the murder of this horrendous coward. No, she deseverved much less. Velaine bent down slightly, picking up the crossbow the woman had thrown. It took some time for her to find the bolts in her burnt pants but she found at least one still intact. There was a satisfying click as it loaded.

It was the easiest thing to turn and aim at the woman’s slender throat. She could see it bobbing up and down as she swallowed in fear. Her lips started shaking as she started muttering a prayer – or a curse.

And she shoots.
word count: 501

Return to “Etzos”