1 Cat, 2 Cat, Black Cat, Dead Cat (Open)

The Black Cats Mercenaries experience some bad luck...

Once an isolated and dying township, an influx of academics, adventurers and thrill seekers have made Scalvoris Town their home. From scholars' tea shops to a new satellite campus for Viden Academy, this is an exciting place to visit or make your home!

Moderators: Pegasus, Vorpal, Ghoul

Aegis
Lore Analyst
Race: Prophet
Renown: 0
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 14

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Re: 1 Cat, 2 Cat, Black Cat, Dead Cat (Open)

Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Date

Soldier cat and Mute entered into the darkness, finding the other Element hidden behind a desk. The entire building, or rather what was left of it was in heavy darkness from the shade, but getting closer, Mute would be able to see more of the details. A maze of toppled desks, chairs, with a variety of debris strewn about. It looked as though there had been a fight, a really throw down, knock out brawl. But there was no blood, no bodies. There were weapons of many sort strewn about, knocked off pegs from the walls. They'd been decorative pieces, mementos of the travels and exploits of these "mercenaries".

And way in the back hanging from a low hanging peg, was a golden amulet, spinning about, eliciting the small metallic noise as the chain twisted and untwisted. Beneath the amulet, a pure white kitten, was batting at the amulet playfully. And every so often, the hinged face of the amulet would swing open from the momentum. As it opened, a blue beam fired out, striking a nearby wall, leaving no mark beyond a slight scuff, no different than if an elbow or shoe had struck the wood. But above the amulet, a message, carved into the wood.

The Black Cats are just that
A bunch of pussies with no loyalty
Dogs are better, more so than a cat
But now the can live life, like feline royalty

PS A Scalvoris Mercenary, is no mercenary at all.

The soldier cat's thoughts were confused. She was wondering why her partner didn't simply storm in, using an object to shield his approach. She would have if she'd known about the beams in the first place. What was holding him ba--oh. That's why. There was a shimmer in the air around the amulet and the cat, just barely perceptible. Ever since Special Assistant Blackwood proposed a separate magical force, and with the events at the docks, some improvements to training had been made. The first was to be more observant, and cautious, of things that seemed unnatural, strange, or even simply too good to be true.

There was magic at play here, but neither of the soldiers were trained enough to know what kind. The shimmer, almost like the invisible yet visible heat over a cooking pot, appeared to be growing. And growing somewhat fast. But the kitten seem unperturbed, content with its playing. The shimmer was visible across the entirety of the width of the building, and extended up through the the ceiling above. A closer look at where it met the ceiling though, showed a distinct gap in the wood, as though it were just sawed right through, but left functionally intact.

And neither of the Elements seemed to know what to do.

word count: 482
Mute
Approved Character
Race: Human
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 1

Contribution

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:05 pm

"Silence Reigns . . ."
Chaos had warred against order and won.

The office space was in disarray. Desks, chairs, and weapons were scattered across the floor, forming a maze in which a misstep might cut open the bottom of one's feet. The human Element was crouched to my left, hidden behind one such desk, peeking over the overturned furniture towards the back of the room. There, I suspected, was the source of the the disaster. An golden amulet swung, pawed back and forth by a white kitten like it was a play toy. Every so often, the force of the feline's batting knocked the amulet lid's opened, from which the blue beams of magic burst forth. After a beam struck the wall nearby, I decided it best to follow in the Lothar's lead. Ducking to the right half of the room, I found refuge behind my own desk.

Peeking over the desk in similar fashion, I spotted the carved message in the wood. I could discern little to the meaning of it all, save for ill-intent directed towards the Black Cat Mercenaries. To be fair, that could've been assumed by this attack alone. The use of the message suggested, I figured, that the assailants wanted any surviving Cats to know exactly who had attacked them. The use of the word "Dog," while thematic, seemed the be the most likely clue as to the identity of the men who did this. Or, perhaps, the lizards.

'Element,' I thought, turning to look at the feline warrior close by. As of yet, neither she nor or her comrade had offered any aid. I wondered what stayed their hands. 'I have reason to believe that the Ithecal and his human companion played some part in this attack.' Little more needed to be shared at the moment. They couldn't worry about them yet, not until the more immediate threat of the amulet. But why did they hesitate?

I noticed, at this point, the barrier surrounding the kitten and its toy.

At least, that the was the word my mind ascribed to the shimmering phenomenon. The second word that I procured was magic, one which I had no prior knowledge or experience with. My mentor had only ever educated me in the domain of Empathy, despite suggesting that she possessed sparks in other domains. Moreover, my education had been most theoretical. Thus, I was faced with the same ignorance of the wall between us and the golden artifact. I, however, was not hindered by the same caution that had struck his two companions.

Shifting the scimitar to my right hand, I reached behind me to snatch up one of the many weapons that had fallen to the floor. A dagger, ornate with a curved blade. Its weight, while not as substantial as the sword, I was still more than I was used to. Thankfully I had no intention of keeping it in my grasp for long. 'Can you speak to the kitten like you can with me?' I asked the Element sharing my mind-space. 'Encourage it to give up its game, if you can.'

Then, turning my attention back to the barrier ahead, I tossed the dagger overhead in its direction. It was a wanton throw, the blade turning wildly in the air, but given the size of the wall I had no doubt it would strike some part of it. I needed to know what objects, living or otherwise, could pass through it and what would bounce off. And hope, then, that between the three of us we could find a solution before the growing shimmer became too much for them to handle.

'We need to determine the source of the magic, where its drawing ether to maintain itself,' I thought, trills before the blade struck the barrier.
word count: 639
Aegis
Lore Analyst
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:20 pm

Date

The Element-cat nodded at Mute's idea, and tried to think loudly. She wasn't exactly sure how this was to work, but she tried nonetheless. "Little one. Please stop playing with that. Come to me now little one," with Mute able to hear every word in his mind. The kitten stopped batting at the amulet, turning. It mewed, turning, looking at the Element-cat. It mewed some more, though it didn't seem to be translating to either Mute nor the Element-cat. The cat continued to look back and forth between the amulet and the other cat, and started toward them around the same time Mute's dagger was thrown.

Both kitten and knife disappeared upon touching the barrier. There was no sound, no indication that anything had happened. They were there one moment, gone the next. But Mute's plan had worked. The amulet now stopped swinging, and no more laser beams were firing outward. A few moments later, however, the building shook, and a crimson sheen flashed across the barrier, seeming to solidify it. Mute and the others could now see another world in the space where the barrier stood. It appeared as clearly as one might be looking through a window.

And it was a world far different from Idalos.

It seemed as if it was expected to be seen on the other side of the barrier. There was a wall, a window, an amulet, but they weren't made of the stone and wood and glass. They looked as though made of flesh, pink, spongy, moist. It moved in the way that only a living being can move. And in there, the kitten was bounding around playfully, clawing at the squishy wall.

And the Element-cat knew immediately what this was. She'd only ever heard it talked about, and this was the first time she'd seen one. This wasn't a barrier. It was a door. It was a Fracture. A rip in the fabric between Idalos and Emea. A doorway that led to the impossible, the unimaginable, the dangerous beyond comprehension. And there was a kitten playing in it.

The Element-cat thought toward Mute, "We... we need to get out of here. That's a Fracture. Monsters come from there. Wild magic leaks out and twists anything it touches. That's Emea, the stuff of nightmares."

The building shook again, and soon, pieces of it could be seen being drawn into the rip, starting with what was closest to it. Debris, furniture all began to slide toward it, pulled by an unseen force. Element-cat dashed away from it, out into the sunlight, but her companion, nor Mute were so lucky. The hold grabbed them both. And no amount of kicking, fighting could stop the men from being pulled into Emea. At some point, both lost consciousness.

There was the sound of crushing stone and shattering wood as the Fracture grew and solidified. It ripped away the floorboards, and sucked in everything as it grew. The tear in reality was as tall as the building had been, and was giving off a blinding blue-white light. And for the briefest of moments, the entire area went dead silent, as though sound could not even exist. Then the light softened, and the entirety of the Black Cats Mercenaries building... was gone.

It was unclear how long Mute and Maelick had been out of it, but it was clear they weren't in Kansas anymore. Overhead was not the sunny sky of Idalos, but rather a thin membrane miles above, with a large tear right where the sun would be. It seemed a cruel mimicry. All around Muse were mimics of the buildings he'd seen just moments before, all made of pink-orange, spongy flesh. Even the ground beneath him was made of the substance. And everything breathed... moved. Was alive.

It wouldn't take long to realize they were inside a living thing.

All the real world bits of the former building were piled about for hundreds of feet in every direction. And the window one might expect to see, one to get back to Idalos, was nowhere to be seen. Maelick was a dozen feet away, groaning as he come to. "Where... what...?" He looked over at Mute, "Are we dead?"

Meanwhile, back on Idalos, Element-cat looked on the glowing Fracture where the building had been. Where her partner had been. Where the only hope of no longer being a cat had been. This was well beyond her paygrade. And where were those damn reinforcements? Had anyone gone to get them? If not, surely they'd seen the flash of light? Someone would've for sure, especially with the Elements having been on edge in recent trials.
word count: 815
Sephira
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Flame Element
Renown: +290
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Medal count: 12

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:30 pm

It was an oppressively hot trial, but that didn’t mean that Sephira or any of the other Elements of Scalvoris were allowed to shirk their duties. It had been a particularly fruitless day for her investigation into the cult and Orrick so the Flame Element had been heading toward the Militant’s office to discuss requisitioning troops for an operation in Darbyton. Hopefully there she might find some answers that might shed some light on the case, but Sephira had no intention of going alone.

When she was only bits away from Element’s Hall the mage heard the sound of a Land Troop horn, calling for reinforcements. The woman paused, her booted feet clicking on the cobblestone as she turned toward the direction that the sound was coming from. Normally a Flame Element wouldn’t bother with a Land Troop issue, but something pulled at her, causing her attunement spark to leap awake in excitement. Sephira reached out with her spark hesitantly, roving for strange Frequencies that might suggest that this was something more than your run of the mill crime.

Her lips parted in surprise and confusion at the bright metallic tang of some something that had the distinct flavor of ether while still being completely and utterly alien. Without another thought about speaking with Militant Bronson, Special Assistant Blackwood headed toward the origin of the horn call.

The Element was glad to have left her coat back at Redwood Redoubt; it was sweltering as she raced toward the Black Cat’s headquarters. Instead she wore a set of black leather armor with a white cotton shirt beneath and at her belt was her customary saber.

The scene that she found was chaotic and laced with destruction. The building itself was gone and instead there stood a bright glowing rift that hung menacingly in the air. Just as she arrived two figures were yanked through by a force very similar to her Pull Portals, granted it was much stronger.

Sephira paused just outside the influence of the rift, looking around for any other nearby Elements.

There were none, she was alone and two people had just been pulled inside that thing.

No help, and a magical anomaly to deal with......just another perfect trial in Scalvoris Town.

Hastily the woman made the snap decision to remove the onyx pin at her collar that marked her as a Special Assistant and she set it on the ground, to leave some sign that she had been here. If the Elements found it they would hopefully realize that she had gone in after the people that had been pulled through.

Sephira fed a tiny flicker of ether into her attunement spark, before trying to detect anything more she could about the rift before she went diving in. It nearly blinded her with it’s cacophony of frequencies and send the mage back a step. It was clearly dangerous, and nothing like her particular brand of portals.

“This is idiotic.” She muttered to herself before shutting off the flow of ether to her spark and racing towards the rift to jump inside.
Off Topic
Aegis gave me the go-ahead to hop in with you guys. Hope you don't mind Mute :D
Dialogue|Thoughts
word count: 550
Mute
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:35 am

"Silence Reigns . . ."
In the time it took me to snatch up the dagger and toss it at the shimmering barrier, the soldier cat reached out with a mental plea to the white kitten across the room. Despite the gravity of the situation, I was satisfied to see that the idea was proved successful. The cat, after some debated confusion between the desperate voice in its head and whatever connection the amulet had with it, finally turned away from the artifact and moved in our direction. A trill later, the knife struck the barrier.

Then, both disappeared with nary a sound.

Silent shock hung in the room, shared between my companions and I. It was as if we had shared a collective blink and the magic of that moment had erased the two objects, animate and not, from the memory of the room. The barrier, however, remained. A few more trills passed, marked by the breath bated deep within my chest, until the still was shattered. The building shook and crimson flashed across the barrier changing it, making it more solid. I saw a glimpse into the room on the other side, but it was nothing like I had ever seen before. Distorted, flesh where stone or wood should be. I felt like I was staring deep into the maw of a giant beast. And the kitten danced between its jaws, oblivious to the threat that this new reality brought with it.

The Element-cat broke through the unbridled fear racing through my mind, enlightening me to this new development. She called it a Fracture and I could not fathom a better word to describe it. It was a nightmare, there was no denying that. Every instinct in my body screamed flight, but my body would not respond. Not even when the building shook a second time and portions of the structure were ripped free by an unseen force and pulled into the opening like it was a vortex. The cat bolted; I did not. Mute, I gripped nothing but the scimitar in my hand as the gravity yanked my feet out from under me and dragged me into the divide. I caught one last glance at the human Element to my left, desperately clinging to a desk, but unconsciousness enveloped me like a blanket and I saw no more . . .

When I came back to, I was on the other side. Stars danced at the edge of my vision as I pushed myself up onto one elbow, groggily looking around the area in stunned silence. I was surrounded by the flesh-like reflections of Scalvoris Town, macabre sculptures in honor of mortal life. Even the ground I lied on squished beneath me; it too was of the same material. I could feel my body move ever so suitably up and down to an unknown rhythm.

Wherever I was, it breathed like I did.

Familiar debris were scattered around me, stones and woods that marked it from the other side of the barrier. They hadn't been transformed into this foreign material, thankfully, which probably meant the weapons hadn't changed either. I spotted the sword a short distance away from me, just out of reach from where I was currently sitting. I was lucky, I realized, that I hadn't cut myself when I slid through the rift. Pushing myself to my feet, thankful for the leather gloves I had borrowed for protecting me from touching the ground with my skin, I walked on stiff legs over to the sword and picked it up. Unlike last time, the sword's weight was greatly appreciated because it was an anchor between the world I understood and this new one where I was way, way out of my element.

The Lothar, Maelick, came to right when I picked up the sword. Confusion flared in his Tangle as he looked around, taking in the environment like I had done already. Then he stared at me, frightened. It seems I would be his own anchor. Were we dead? No. I shook my head, clinging to that denial like a sailor to the float-wood after a shipwreck. We were alive, that I accepted as a certainty.

But for how long?
Off Topic
I don't mind at all. I had actually wanted Mute to meet Sephira here soon, so this is a good opportunity as any.
word count: 730
Aegis
Lore Analyst
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:47 pm

Date

Element-Cat watched as Special Assistant Sephira Blackwood arrived on the scene. That was good. She was a mage, let mages deal with weird shit like Fractures. Leave the mundane things to the mundane soldiers. That was perfectly acceptable in her book. She had no test for the supernatural. As Blackwood removed her pin, Element-Cat recognized what she was doing. So she went over to the pin as Blackwood went running for the Fracture. She'd guard the pin, and alert any additional reinforcements to it.

And as Sephira was pulled into the Fracture, her Rupturing spark was loving it. They'd traveled, and it hadn't even needed to do anything! They were in an entirely new place. The spark was happy. And then Sephira was splatted face first into the organic, fleshy "ground". It squelched loudly as she landed, and was moist. Not excessively wet, certainly not enough to leave puddles, just enough to provide discomfort. A glance up from her awkward position would see Land Troop Maelick nearby and another man.

Maelick looked down at the woman, "Special Assistant? Is that you?"

A look around the fleshy landscape showed no true end or edge to it. It was as large as the observable space, and likely larger. It breathed, it rippled, it lived. In the distance, the cat that had leapt through was standing atop what appeared to be a large, inverted uvula, where a tree would be in the world proper. And from its mouth dangled the chain and amulet. It meowed at the group, before jumping down the backside of the uvula tree and disappearing out of sight.

Then the clicking began. It started off as a single stream of clicking. Not loud, yet could be heard all throughout the fleshy realm. This was followed by many responding clicking sounds. It didn't seem to function like a standard noise. It could be heard, but didn't adjust due to position or distance like noise normally did. And it was impossible to discern the direction from which it came.

At least, until a hole opened up between Special Assistant Blackwood and the two men. A creature climbed up through, using its two spider like legs to pull it upwards. Its head turned this way and that, and the clicking continued. It then turned toward the direction the cat had disappeared toward.

And the beast began to run, clicking faster now. It's powerful legs thundered over the fleshy ground, and it was clear this was some type of predator of this place. And it was not hunting the people, but it was hunting.

word count: 454
Mute
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:46 am

"Silence Reigns . . ."

In a place like this, I was prepared for the appearance of a lot of strange occurrences, but the arrival of another human being was not one of them. The woman who fell face first into the fleshy earth beneath our feet was tall, not quite my height but close enough to look me in the face when she found her footing. Gangly, I thought, in a way that didn't quite feel normal. But, then, did I have any room to talk? Despite her striking appearance, I did not recognize her, though the Element seemed to know her as 'Special Assistant.' The title sounded like a position within the Element's, so I was hopeful that she would be of some service in this strange place.

Hopefully she hadn't been dragged helplessly in like the Lothar and I.

Shortly after the woman's arrival, clicking began to echo in the chamber we stood in. I was no expert in judging the distance or direction of auditory sounds, so I could not decide where the noises were coming from. Thus, I held the sword directly in front of me in a defensive position, hoping that whatever was producing said noises would appear within my line of sight and not directly behind me. Sadly in a place like this, I didn't feel like my wishes would be taken into high consideration.

Then, the creature appeared, climbing out of a hole that had abruptly formed between the woman and myself like a nightmare. I took a cautious step back, fearful of the pair of legs extending out of the beast's shoulders as it scrambled by the three of us in pursuit of the kitten. Better it than me, I thought, as the monster disappeared a few trills later. With my skill with the scimitar, I doubt I would've lasted long against it, even with two Elements reinforcing me. At least we determined the source of the clicking.

There was little I could do at the moment; I was way out of my familiar territory here. Hopefully the Special Assistant would take charge and get us out before we became the next prey.
word count: 366
Sephira
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Flame Element
Renown: +290
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Medal count: 12

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:00 pm

Her Rupturing Spark might have been having the time of its life being ripped through a hole in reality but Sephira was getting more perturbed by the moment as she landed face first in the oddly squishy ground. An exasperated sigh escaped her as she sat up and flicked some kind of gooey liquid out of a strand of her hair.

Climbing to her feet the mage was alerted to the fact that she was not alone.

“Element Maelick, how did you end up in this mess?” she asked sharply before checking to see that her saber was still there. Straightening her clothes the woman glanced up at the fellow. “I saw that thing open and suck you two in, so I followed.” she looked grimly at the dark fleshly alien landscape.

“Although I’m not sure how much help I’m going to be in a place like this.”

She wrinkled her nose at the strange smell permeating the area. She looked to her left and spied another man who had been pulled through as well. She surveyed him silently. Making note of his pale complexion, dark features and height. before her attention flickered back to Element Maelick. Sephira only gave him a cursory nod. He was a civilian, so it her and Element Maelick''s job to get him out alive. “Keep an eye out and give me a few trills to concentrate. Hopefully I can get some idea of where we are.” The woman didn’t explain fully what she was intending to do, but it shouldn’t take her long to take a look at the surrounding area with attunement.

Sephira reached out and began funneling a slender thread of ether into her Attunement Spark however she found that within a split trill it felt as if her blood was boiling. She opened her mouth in a silent scream as a bright piercing ringing nearly split her head in two with the intensity. Sephira recoiled from the pain and fell, landing hard on her knees with her hands gripping her head.

She couldn’t even hear the strange alien Frequencies around her for the din that was surrounding her. The mage felt as though she might shatter if she tried to keep channeling ether. her breath was coming in ragged gasps and for some reason it felt as if her Attunement Spark was screaming alongside her.

What was happening?

It was only then that she realized it was the ether itself...it was everywhere. They were submerged in an etheric ocean, practically swimming in it and it was roaring through her like a raging river. With the grace of an ameture mage she shunted the flow away from her Spark before shutting off her draw of the energy. The ringing in her ears went silent and the heat in her blood almost instantly vanished.
Sephira sat their gasping for air with her arms wrapped tightly around her body.

Her slowly turned her wide eyed gaze to her comrade. There was fear in her eyes, real fear which was something she often tried to hide, but something had clearly shaken her.

“This place, it’s filled with ether...” she realized that Element Maelick might not know what ether was so she hastily explained. “Magic, it’s swimming in magic.” Sephira slowly crawled to her feet, her fingers trembling as she tried to calm herself.

Just then a clicking sound could be heard that was answerd by several other similar sounds. Almost like animals communicating. Sephira turned on her heel, ripping Wyvern from it’s sheath as she desperately tried to discern the direction the sound was coming from.

Suddenly the ground cracked to her right, between she and the other two men. Sephira hastily retreated back several steps as a monstrous creature climbed from the hole. It chittered and clicked, confirming that it was the source of the sounds they had heard. The mage stood crouched as the beast lurched forward toward an undetermined quarry. She could only thank the stars that they were not on it’s menu to-trial. However, it was chasing something and it was the only lead they had to go on.

“What is it hunting?!” she shouted as the creature headed further into the alien landscape. The other two men had been here longer than she had, maybe they knew something she didn’t.

Sephira shot off after the animal, sprinting to keep up with her blade held out to the side and at the ready. “Follow it! It might lead us to a way out!”
Dialogue|Thoughts
word count: 775
Aegis
Lore Analyst
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

Staff

Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:15 am

Timestamp

Maelick went running after Sephira, shouting behind her, "It's chasing a cat! It was here at the scene when we arrived! I think it's important!"

In this fleshy version of Scalvoris Town, the geography was the same. And the rather dogged beast was bounding heavily past what were a few shops and apartments, in the direction of the Elements Hall. Far in the distance, the speck of the cat could be seen, turning down an alley off to the right of the road.

And with that, the creature turned hard to the right and with a single leap, hopped upon the roof of a two story "building". And continued to chase after the poor kitty. Meanwhile, Sephira's spark was yanking on the chain to her soul fiercely. Bathed in all this ether, it wanted to be set free. This is where it belonged. And she'd be able to feel that desire for a world it belonged to, here. And it wanted to chase this fast beast. And it knew how fast it and Sephira could be.

Maelick looked back to Mute, "Hey! Go try to cut it off! Old Wren's Road is back there and runs diagonal!"

And then the clicking sound began to grow and grow, from all around them. Back near where Mute was, more of the same creature began to crawl out of the flesh, some smaller, some larger than the one Sephira and Maelick were pursuing. And above them all, the "sky" began to grow darker. An unnatural darkness, more akin to the erasing of chalk upon a board than that of a setting sun. Everything about this world was unsettling to Maelick, and by the gods was he gonna get that cat and find a way to get the fuck outta here. This was Sephira's duty, not his. Crazy magic shit was not his department, and he had no desire to mess with it.

"Sephira, what do we do?!"

word count: 352
Mute
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:48 am

"Silence Reigns . . ."

There was a time when I was young, no more than a few arcs old, where I thought I wanted to be an officer of the law. The knights and soldiers that traveled across Andaris were definitely more grandiose, more respected, but it was the on-the-beat patrolmen who always caught my young eye. Perhaps it was because I saw them more often than the other types of fighters. But then again, weren't we supposed to see our heroes often? As I got older, of course, my dreams adapted to my understanding of the world. I had grown too large and too cautious to ever wish that life upon myself. Chasing down thieves was more taxing on the body in reality than it seemed in a child's imagination. And I had done well about avoiding that life, too.

But it seems my dreams had caught up with me in this place of nightmares.

Frantic footfalls and information exchanged on the run. Maelick and the Special Assistant pursued the kitten and its foreign predator from behind. It was my job, apparently to cut it off via Old Wren's Way. With what? A sword and a prayer? Still, running was preferable to sticking around and waiting for these new creatures to spawn around me decide that I was a tastier morsel than the cat. I wondered for a brief trill whether that was the motivation for everyone who took up this sort of profession; survival was quite the motivation, there was no denying that.

Keeping a firm grip on the scimitar, I backtracked until I picked up the road the Lothar had directed me to, heading in a diagonal direction in the hopes of cutting the kitten off. I was no athlete, but I made every effort to act like one as I sprinted past the fleshy mimicries of homes and stores. I didn't know the layout of Scalvoris Town quite like how I knew Almund, so I couldn't determine the "mirrors" as I passed quickly by. They were unknown obstructions in this wretched maze I had stumbled into. I couldn't even hear my companions for all the incessant clicking and it was in that moment that I cursed the memory of my youth. I could've dreamed of being a baker or a cobbler. I could have settled very early on for mundanity. Alas, youthful naivety had fabricated an exciting life instead and fate, in a twisted way, had obliged me. Lucky me.

I continued to run, hopeful to see a flash of white fur ahead of me here soon.
word count: 438

Return to “Scalvoris Town”