Whoops (Vivian Shiryu)

Leeson Didn't Plan on This

Seated on the shores of Lake Lovalus, Rharne serves as the home of the Lighting Knights, the Thunder Priestesses, and the Merchant's guild. This beautiful trade city is filled with a happy and contented people who rarely need an excuse to party.

Moderators: Munchkin, Chronicle, Oracle

Leeson Andaris
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Please Employ Leeson
Renown: +25
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Player Review
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Whoops (Vivian Shiryu)

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:14 pm

"Shiryu?" Leeson said, almost unbelieving. "You lost the Warrick name and gained another within two arcs? And you're a mom?"

She smiled, and honestly, this new temperament Vivian was something to get used to. He hadn't been around Vivian when she wasn't distressed to the point of destruction very often before. Now, though, she was calmer than Leeson, and, silently, he was happy for her.

"But really, Lee, losing fights for money? You're not going to tell me there's nothing you could have done for work that didn't involve getting pounded into the dirt every night." She said, and Leeson could feel her looking over the bruises and scrapes he was certain he had. "You always wanted to be a knight, right? You could still join the military here. Granted, you'd still get pounded into the dirt a lot, but that would be training, not being paid to lose."

"Knighthood?" Leeson chuckled. "I haven't wanted to be a knight since I was fourteen. I'm not built for that kind of life, Viv, look at me!" He held his form open. "I'm a wet noodle! But there is one thing I'm good at, and that's helping the people of Rynmere. Until I can figure out how to do that right, Viv, I think I'm best off losing as many fights as I can, and being able to eat. If that means living in a lean-to I built out of garbage in the Dust Quarter, fine, wouldn't be the first time."

Leeson sighed, walking back over to the couch and sitting next to Vivian again, Kepler in hand, his legs delicately placed as to not disturb Pakse. "Thank you for having me here Viv." He said. And then, quietly, with a pang of shame, "It's been hard recently."

If he were being honest with himself, he knew it likely wouldn't get better any time soon. But he knew that when he boarded a boat to Rharne and left the life he was born into across the sea. He hoped that someday he'd come to terms with that decision.
word count: 364
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +125
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Whoops (Vivian Shiryu)

Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:07 am

When Leeson expressed incredulity at how fast Vivian had changed her name and become a mother, she chuckled a bit. "Actually, I adopted the kids unofficially before I got arrested, officially adopted them after I was exiled. They gave me their name when I lost mine." she said, smiling slightly. Then he called himself a wet noodle and she leaned forward, peering at him. Then she reached out and picked up his arm, holding as if she were inspecting it. "Yeah, you're right, pretty noodly." she said, letting his arm fall before grinning slightly. "I've seen slimmer though." she said, her tone gently teasing.

When he said, he still wanted to help Rynmere, she grimaced slightly and leaned forward. "Truth be said, I don't think anyone will accomplish anything trying to help Rynmere from within. The people with the power to change things get far too much benefit from letting things stay as they are, and the people with no power have no way to gain more. An internal force isn't going to change that. People have tried, both with peaceful and violent means, and both failed. If, when, change comes to Rynmere, it will come from without. When that day comes, you may have to make some hard choices." she said, her tone intent.

Then he mentioned where he was living and how he was earning his meal, and she raised an eyebrow. "And how is getting beat into the dirt supposed to help you figure anything out? Or am I underestimating the potential political education one can find in a flying fist? Anyway, as to your housing situation, that I can do something about. I've got two empty rooms, and I care too much about you to leave you without housing." she said, her tone showing she was serious. She raised a hand to forestall a protest. "And don't be saying you can't impose or some shenanigans. I got a house with extra rooms specifically so I could house friends when they needed it, so you can cork whatever protest you had." she said, her tone firm.
word count: 363
Leeson Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Player Review
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Whoops (Vivian Shiryu)

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:19 pm

"I..." Leeson managed, taken entirely by surprise by Vivian's offer. "I don't know what to say."

That was accurate. He really didn't. Every instinct he had was telling him to politely deny Vivian's offer, as was proper etiquette. He didn't want to impose. He didn't want to impose initially when he had followed Vivian to her home. But the thought of sleeping one more night on the streets was difficult to swallow. Another night of subjecting Kepler to improper care. It had been too long.

"Alright." He conceded. "But if you're going to keep me here, then you're going to expect a clean home every morning. I-... I'm..." Leeson struggled to think of other methods of paying Vivian back for her kindness. "I'm going to learn how to cook." He said. "And... And also bathe. I need to smell not like sweat."

Leeson thought for a moment. "Thank you, Vivian. I mean it."

There was a small beat of appreciative silence before the words that Vivian had said just a moment ago really set into Leeson. "Wait." He said. "What was that about changing Rynmere from the outside? And what about my hard choices?"

Leeson thought for a moment.

"Viv, what are you saying?" He laughed for a second. "Cause it kind of sounds like you're implying that I should, I don't know, lead a revolution against Rynmere or something silly like that."
word count: 245
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Whoops (Vivian Shiryu)

Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:03 pm

At Leeson's comment about cleaning house, Vivian stopped to look around her house briefly. Truth be told, it was pretty much spotless, but he meant well and she didn't comment. "If you manage to wake up before me even semi-regularly, I'd be impressed. I wake up before the sun is up most days, after all." she said, her tone amused. At the cooking though, she shrugged. "I'm not a great cook, so that would be nice." she said, with a laugh. "And I have a washroom in the house, it's quite nice." she said, her tone cheerful.

When Leeson got it into his head that she was suggesting that he start a revolution against Rynmere, though, her expression flattened. "No. No I am not. We tried that already. In the end, Veljorn was murdered by his cousin, hundreds died to the White Fire of the Jacadons, Zvezdana died alone and afraid, I was exiled, my cousin was tortured, and if anything, we made the situation worse." she said, her tone firm, almost bleak. "I meant that Rynmere is either going to antagonize its neighbors or weaken itself so much it becomes easy pickings. Either way, war will come to Rynmere. You'll have to choose whether to try to defend a failing government, stay out of the way, or help topple it." she said, her tone grim.

She grimaced after that. "Truth be told, I've already considered what I'd do if Rynmere goes to war with Rharne." she said, before shaking her head. "Ilaren, she gave someone I loved very much a safe haven when she needed it, before her death. She led me on the path to restore the parts of me that had broken. She cares for her people. I serve her without reservation." Vivian didn't say it outright, but her implication was clear. If Ilaren ordered her to march against Rynmere, she would do so. What she didn't say was that she'd honestly volunteer at this point, Ilaren wouldn't punish the citizens of Rynmere for the wrongdoings of Cassander and his pawns.
word count: 364
Leeson Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Player Review
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Whoops (Vivian Shiryu)

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Leeson had heard all of what Vivian said, but found it difficult to speak and have that fact aptly represented. He hadn't known about Zvezdana's death. He and Zvezdana were never as close as he was with Vivian, but he liked the woman. She was kind. She was sensible. And, as it is with most nobles of roughly the same age, they were practically raised together. It was just setting in now how devastating recent arcs have been for Rynmere, how much he hadn't realized he had lost.

When Leeson left Rynmere, he left for the selfish fear that he, alone, would suffer the consequences of its politics, of the natural revolution of its wheel of domination. He left because he grieved for his siblings' disappearances. He grieved for Peake.

He had been too selfish to realize how much more he, and others, had truly, truly lost.

If he had been honest with himself, his grief for himself and his family may have become great enough that he had even forgotten about Vivian's troubles. Vivian, his only friend throughout his adolescence, had fought and lost in a civil war. She had been exiled. All the while Leeson's concerns remained on Andaris, both in family name and in city.

He had been selfish.

This exile of his was selfish.

He claims to want nothing but to help those who require assistance, but when his homeland needed him most, he ran. He ran away from his problems, and the war, and the incarceration of mages, and he's still running.

He wanted to grieve Zvezdana. He wanted to grieve for Vivian's troubles, for what unfortunate circumstances led her here, albeit to a beautiful home and family that she loves. He wanted to grieve for his homeland and express his guilt and dismay, express that he couldn't be there for them when they needed someone to be. He wanted to say all of these things all at once.

But all he managed was "Whoever this Ilaren is, she sounds really sweet."

Silently, however, Leeson vowed that his relationship with his homeland was far from being over.
word count: 360
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Whoops (Vivian Shiryu)

Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:53 pm

Vivian could see that Leeson took what she had said to heart, but she could also tell he was having trouble finding the words to respond. When he did, she smiled slightly. "Sweet isn't exactly the word I would use. She's...good, just, honorable. She's what the Noble Houses should have been like, what we all believe the Sacred Seven to be. Ilaren is..what I aspire to be. Courageous, smart, merciful, and honorable." she said, shrugging slightly. Then she stretched in her seat and flopped back into it, looking for all the world like she might melt into it at any time, relaxed as could be.

"By the way, do you have anything you need to pick up? I know Kepler is the most important thing you have, but if there's stuff you need to pick up, I'll tag along with you to get it." she said, her tone laid back. "And if you've been taking a beating for your living, I imagine you're probably hungry. Or thirsty, and unlike most of the bars, I actually keep beverages that aren't alcoholic around." she said, grinning slightly as she spoke. She was aware of how much alcohol there was in Rharne, and how hard it could be to get non-alcoholic beverages from the bars. Most of them just looked at you funny when you asked for water or milk.

Looking down at the animals, Vivian thought for a moment. "And how's Kepler been, by the by? Healthier than you, I can bet, but living out of a knapsack must have been boring for him." Vivian said as Pakse came over sniff at the tortoise before licking the top of head. Then, after an apparent moments thought, Pakse clambered up next to Leeson and started to lick him as well, evidently having decided that while Kepler was fairly clean, Leeson's was not currently up to acceptable standards.
word count: 334
Leeson Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Player Review
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Whoops (Vivian Shiryu)

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:04 pm

"She sounds like good folk. Maybe someday I'll meet her." Leeson said, not understanding precisely what Ilaren is.

"By the way, do you have anything you need to pick up? I know Kepler is the most important thing you have, but if there's stuff you need to pick up, I'll tag along with you to get it." She said. "And if you've been taking a beating for your living, I imagine you're probably hungry. Or thirsty, and unlike most of the bars, I actually keep beverages that aren't alcoholic around."

"This is actually it," he admitted, a bit sheepishly. "And the bars give you water, actually. Which is weird. People look at you a bit strange, and whoever's tending the bar will too, but if you ask twice, you can get this little shot glass of water. Usually it doesn't cost anything either, which is nice, but um... Yeah I... I guess I'm good."

"And how's Kepler been, by the by? Healthier than you, I can bet, but living out of a knapsack must have been boring for him." She continued.

"It's... Well, the past couple arcs haven't been particularly fun for either of us, but-" Leeson was interrupted by Pakse, and was forced to push him down gently from licking his face. He was hoping Pakse would be content with ear scratches, but knowing Pakse, he likely wouldn't be. "Kepler's been taking it better than I thought he would. Really the only spot of issue we had was the ship ride over cause there wasn't much food but um... Yeah. He usually just naps all day. He's excited to see Pakse now, I think, which is why he's out and about, but uh..." Leeson sighed. "Viv, I know you said not to say this specifically, but... Are you sure about this? All this? I mean... God, with everything that's happened, our families, the time we spent away, I'm genuinely surprised you're not at my throat. I wouldn't blame you if you were. But bringing me into your home, that's... That's too kind, Viv. I'm scared I won't be able to pay you back."
word count: 379
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Re: Whoops (Vivian Shiryu)

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:58 pm

When Leeson commented on meeting Ilaren, Vivian bit back a laugh. "Perhaps you might, aye." she said, before he said that what he had brought was all he had. "Well, we'll need to get that sorted at some point. Clothes don't last forever, after all. But for now, at least you've got a good place to sleep." she said, before shrugging at the water comment. "Not all of them, actually. Some refuse to give water over the counter, goes against their policy. Usually it's the more expensive bars, though." she said, before laughing slightly as Leeson pushed Pakse down.

"You know how she is, she's going to go try and bathe you whether you like it or not." she said, her tone showing her amusement. When he asked her if she was sure about him staying with her, she just rolled her eyes. "If I wasn't sure, I wouldn't have offered. What happened between me and the rest of House Andaris happened between me and the rest of House Andaris, not between me and you. I don't blame people for things they had no involvement in." she said, before frowning slightly. "Truth be told, I figured your family stuck you in a room somewhere and didn't let you out until it all blew over." she said, shaking her head.

Then she shrugged. "And worry about paying me back later. You'll get your feet under you eventually. Frankly, I'm just glad you're here and not in Rynmere right now. It's not a place for people like you, who care for others and try to lead them down a better path." she said, her tone saddened somewhat. Then she looked at Leeson, her gaze intent. "I know you. You still want to go back and fight to save Rynmere, don't you?" she said, her tone intent.
word count: 325
Leeson Andaris
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Player Review
Templates

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Re: Whoops (Vivian Shiryu)

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:54 am

Tonight had been, by far, the most eventful night he'd seen in quite some time. Incredible circumstance, unanticipated kindness, incredibly unlikely reunion, so the fact that Vivian's question was the thing that finally got to him was surprising to Leeson.

"I..." He began, unsure of what to say.

The room hung still as he processed.

These past two arcs had been made up of troubling himself exclusively on his need to survive. He needed money for food. He needed to fight for money. He needed to not think about Rynmere. Of course, there were times when names crossed his mind. Peake, Quincy, Celeste, absolutely Vivian. There were times where he worried or mourned. But he never had the courage to face those thoughts.

Rynmere as a whole?

Even less so.

"I, uh..." He said, continuing to stall while he thought.

It was his home. It was corrupt, it was unfair, it was immoral, and it was ho-

"Yes." Leeson said.

Quietly in shock by his own words, his lips seemed to take no thought to speak. Words came naturally to him as if they were someone else's.

"I want to go home, Vivian. I want to go home and I want to fix its problems. I want to be the person it needs." He said.

Unsurely certain.

But he knew he meant it.
word count: 226

Return to “Rharne”