• Closed • Refugees? (Lynessa)

Vivian and Lynessa run into some trouble...

Beyond the city of Rharne lies the Stormlands, which is home to a number of farms, forests, fields, Lake Lovalus, and the River Zynyx. This subforum also includes the Stormwastes to the south.

Moderators: Chronicle, Oracle, Munchkin

Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Renown: +125
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:08 pm

Timestamp: 25th of Ymiden

Vivian reached up to pat Speckle's nose as they waited outside the city gates. "No, she's not running late, you daft horse. We're soldiers, we're used to moving in a hurry. She's a priestess, they're more used to working in-city and on a loose schedule." she said, in response to the mare huffing and stamping her big hooves. Speckle wasn't, exactly, a war horse, but she had been Vivian's loyal mount in and out of combat since her first days as an Airman Skyrider in Rynmere. The horse was still fairly young, but she was beginning to show the strain Vivian had put her through. When her cousin got back in town, Vivian was considering putting the mare out to pasture, at least for a bit.

"But yeah, it's not often we get sent out on patrol in the Stormlands, is it girl?" she said, the mare whickering in response. Speckle wasn't intelligent, far from it, but Vivian had a tendency to talk the horse when she was alone and Speckle dutifully responded to make it sound like she was listening. "But Jonas and Tara are sick, so we've got to tag in for them. It's only day, and you need the exercise, you're starting to get a little tubby." she said, poking her horse in the stomach. Speckle whinied and went back to grazing on the grass by the gate, while Vivian looked back at the city.

She had gotten the assignment to head out to the Stormlands when she had reported in that morning, and had been told she would be accompanied by a Thunder Priestess. Vivian hadn't interacted as much with the sister branch of Ilaren's followers, but she was excited to be working with one of the sisters. She had gotten used to her new plate armor as well, and she looked down at the burnished steel, smiling as the lightning crackled across it. To any enemy of Rharne, she'd probably look a bit of a nightmare, though an experienced foe wouldn't be intimidated. Looking back up at the city, Vivian figured her companion would arrive soon, it was a good break into the day now.
Lynessa
Approved Character
Profession: Thunder Priestess
Renown: +32
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:49 am

It had been quite some time since she was assigned to patrol outside of the city. Her duties mostly made her stick to the city or Caervalle, or another nation entirely. Still, with all the madness going out inside and outside Rharne, there was need to improve their security and this was how her seniors planned to do it. And so, the young priestess set out for the gates of the city clad in her leather armor and daggers strapped on her waist and thighs.

Lynessa rode rather awkwardly on the unfamiliar, chestnut steed. While the priestess had been taught how to ride, she couldn’t claim that she was amazing at it. Not to mention, lately she had been training on how to right a Zephyrus rather than a horse, and the two weren’t exactly similar. Usually, she could really on Leth to take care of the riding while she just sat behind him. The priestess was now gently trying to guide the mount down the winding roads of Rharne.

Since it was a routine patrol, Lynessa had opted to bring Naera along. The violet-eyed Zephyrus had nearly exploded in excitement once they were traveling down the streets and tried to leap off from the horse, nearly giving her a heart attack. Knowing the cub wouldn’t give up, Lynessa decided to let her down and allow her to run along the horse. Fortunately, it was early in the morning and there was minimal traffic, only a few people milling along the streets.

There. She spotted the figure of a woman clad in armor. She looked down to make sure Naera was still following. The female kitten was inspecting a pot of flowers, curious about something. “Naera, let’s go.” She clicked her tongue to catch the Zephyrus’s attention.

Lynessa couldn’t remember the last time she was paired with a knight other than Leth. But, he was supposed to deal with his responsibilities by dealing with a bunch of squires and training them. Not that she minded the change. It was good for her to acquire friends and acquaintances from her fellow order.

She urge the horse to trot over to where the female knight was standing. The woman looked elegant, with pale skin and dark hair, yet there was also something stern about the way she carried herself. “I am Sister Lynessa, I take it you’re Vivian?” She glanced at the rising sun. “I am late, aren’t I?”
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:23 pm

When someone spoke up, asking if she was late, Vivian turned to the priestess and smiled. "Not at all. I'm early, I think." she said, grasping Speck's saddle and hauling herself up into the seat. Once she was seated, she looked back at the animal following her companion. "Nice cat." she said, her tone cheerful. "I'm Vivian." she said, holding out one hand in greeting. Once introductions were made, she pointed her horse to the northwest. "We're to cover the north-westerly part of the Stormlands today, is my understanding. Shouldn't be any trouble, there's been no reports of bandits or such out there." she said, nudging Pakse forward.

It took them roughly a break to get to where they were meant to be patrolling that day, but it was an easy enough ride. Most of the patrol was quiet as well, as the day turned to afternoon. As the afternoon went on though, the clouds started to gather overhead. "Looks like rain." Vivian said, looking up at the sky. Then, she heard the chatter of distant voices, coming from a direction where she wasn't aware of any farm or civilian community. Honestly, they were pretty well into the woods at this point. "Stay wary." she said, before she nudged Speck forward towards the sounds. She figured them for a good 15 bit ride away, but sound carried funny in the woods, and it had evidently muted them, as they came across the source of the voices in no more than 4 bits.

What they found was a shoddy, poorly made camp with about 20 worn down, ragged looking people in dirty, tattered clothing, plus a few small children and infants. They were clearly tired and hungry, but she could practically taste the fear on these people. "So then," she said, taking off her helmet. "Who are you people?" she asked, noting that there was not a weapon among them. There was, however, recognition in the face of one of the men when he stepped forward.

"Lady Warrick?" he asked, and Vivian scowled.

"Shiryu. Vivian Shiryu. And I'm no lady. If you know of me, you know I'm no longer Rynmere nobility, and good riddance to it." she said, her tone firm.

The man blanched, but after a moment, he seemed to steel himself and decide to continue. "We're refugees, from Rynmere. Some of us...we're mages, we heard Rharne didn't persecute mages just for being what they are, so we fled. We were followed though, we've been running ever since. We...we're on the ragged edge though. We're afraid we won't make it to the city. You...you fought against the crown before the rest of realized how cruel they were. Would...would you help us now?" he asked, his tone cautious, afraid of rejection.

Vivian, for her part, sighed, then laughed and shrugged. "Still can't get away from old troubles." she said quietly, shaking her head to herself before looking at the man. "Well, you're in luck. I'm a Lightning Knight of Rharne and my companion is a Thunder Priestess. We'll see you make it to the city. Not going to let you get persecuted on Rharnian soil." she said, dismounting her horse. Looking at Lynessa, she spread her hands. "These people aren't going to be able to move in any sort of hurry. Let's see if we can help anyone who's sick or injured, figure out a plan while we're at it, yeah?" she said, before looking back at the man who had stepped forward. "Who needs help the most?" she asked, her tone gentle.
Lynessa
Approved Character
Profession: Thunder Priestess
Renown: +32
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates

Contribution

Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:42 am

“Sounds good,” Lynessa replied with a grin, running her fingers through her hair as she looked at the other woman. The Lightning Knight seemed prepared, clad in good gear. She must be one of the more experienced knights. “Would be a pain to encounter some trouble this early in the morning.”

Naera, who was at least the size of a common panther, approached the knight’s steed, looking at it with intensity. She always had a tendency to study things closely, be in it other people or other animals or even objects. Determining that the horse wasn’t a threat, the Zephyrus purred cheerfully and returned to Lynessa’s side. The priestess gestured at her feline companion. “This is Naera, she’s my Zephyrus. She can be a handful sometimes so I hope you don’t mind.” As if the Zephyrus could understand, Naera looked at her accusingly – which made her laugh.

Their patrol started quite uneventful. They didn’t talk much, a slight awkwardness of strangers hanging in the air between them. As they rode, Naera would occasionally wander alone into the nearby woods before returning, unable to stay still and simply follow their trail.

But then, Lynessa heard the noises that took Vivian’s attention. People, it was definitely the sound of people. There were no settlements around this area and so the priestess’s wariness instantly increased. It wasn’t uncommon to find bandit encampments hidden in the woods. It was what she expected to find, to be honest.

It turned out that she was wrong. It was a makeshift camp, filled with a ragtag group with dirt covering every part of them and a haunted look in their eyes. These people was definitely surprised to be discovered, completely unprepared. She could see men and women scrambling to their feet, wondering if they should defend themselves. Lynessa dismounted and followed Vivian’s lead, watching the people for any signs of a threat.

Lynessa blinked in surprise as the man greeted the woman as Lady Warrick. As a warrior priestess, part of her training was to learn about other nations and since Rynmere was right next door, the priestess had some knowledge about it. Warrick was a noble house in Rynmere and Vivian was instantly recognized as one of them? It was certainly an interesting fact she needed to remember.

“Well, you're in luck. I'm a Lightning Knight of Rharne and my companion is a Thunder Priestess. We'll see you make it to the city. Not going to let you get persecuted on Rharnian soil.”

The priestess nodded and turned to the refugees. They all looked at her with a bit of fear and distrust. Not that she could blame them – they probably had gone through some rough times. Everyone had heard of the mage persecution and burnings in Rynmere. “You’re not in Rynmere anymore and no one is getting hurt under on our soil.”

“Who needs help the most?” the former noble asked.

An older woman with snow white hair and hardened eyes stood to answer Vivian. Beside her, a young man was lying on a makeshift bed, wrapped in bloodied bandages and shivering. “My son. He hurt himself trying to protect the group just a few trials ago.”

Lynessa tilted her head slightly. “A few trials ago? Some is still hunting you?”
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:09 am

Vivian laughed at Lynessa's comment about early morning trouble, then watched as Pakse and Naera met each other. Despite the predatory nature of the panther sized cat, Pakse just have it a sleepy look, then ignored her. Pakse was a pretty calm mare, rarely getting excited over anything. In truth, part of the reason she wasn't a great combat mount was because she didn't get all that excited for combat either. "She's beautiful." Vivian said, commenting on the cat, before they started their patrol.

When they found the refugees, Vivian was glad to find that Lynessa shared her views on them, but when it came to light that they might still be pursued, Vivian looked at the man who had stepped forward. "Someone is chasing us. We thought it might be The Order of The Mantis," he started, before pausing at a somewhat blank look from Vivian at the name. "The mage hunters in Rynmere. We thought they were following us, even this far. But...it doesn't seem like it. I think it's just peasants, because they aren't very good at following us." he said, grimacing slightly. Vivian shook her head at the news.

"Great. Enthusiastic amateurs that want to burn their own neighbors at the stake." she said, before her expression set into one that anyone who had spent time around soldiers would recognize. Vivian was prepared for a fight now, she was ready to kill to defend these people. "Doesn't matter. They're still a threat, and you lot are under Rharnian protection now." she said, as an idea began to turn in the back of her mind, a glimmer of a possible threat on the horizon. Looking back at the man as, hopefully, Lynessa was treating the injured boy, Vivian spoke again. "You stepped forward when we arrived, so far we're concerned, you're in charge. If you have food, get these people fed. As soon as we're able, we need to get moving. You're protected now, so we'll take the road again. It's the fastest way to safety, and we'll make sure you and yours aren't harmed." she said, and the man nodded.

Vivian went back to Speck as the refuges got moving, as it turned out they did have food, just not very much, and pulled out a map of the Stormlands. "Not much between here and the city. About two breaks to get back." she said, under her breath. After a moment, she walked over to Lynessa, both to help with medical work if she could, but also to talk. "Once we get back on the road, it'll be about two breaks for us to get back to Rharne. These wanna-be mage hunters are going to have a go at us on the way, unless they're completely incompetent. I'll be able to stay behind to fight them, but what will you do? These people don't know the area, very well, after all. I wouldn't blame you if you chose to stay with them and act as their guide." she said, her tone intent.

Return to “The Stormlands”