Last time we met, we didn't know we knew each other.

Seated on the shores of Lake Lovalus, Rharne serves as the home of the Lighting Knights, the Thunder Priestesses, and the Merchant's guild. This beautiful trade city is filled with a happy and contented people who rarely need an excuse to party.

Moderators: Chronicle, Oracle, Munchkin

Vega
Approved Character
Race: Mixed Race
Profession: Wandering, wondering.
Renown: +300
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:22 pm

20th Ymiden, 718
"I'm jus' sayin' it's a lot of stairs," she shot him a glance and gave a slight grin. "An' you never minded carryin' me before. I'm tired." She'd just suggested that, since there were such a lot of steps to climb, he could carry her. But no, apparently not. "An' I would jus' point out that it's your fault I'm tired, too." With a playful swat at him, Vega continued to climb. "Bloody stupid idea, if you ask me. I mean, if I lived here, I'd make a killin' by hirin' well built, muscular an' prone to sweatin' men, strippin' them half naked an' then gettin' them to carry rich women up an' down the steps on a.. what?" Looking at him, she stopped talking, played back she was saying in her head and then grinned in a cheery manner, showing that frankly, she knew what she'd said.

"It's a'right, qau'ma. You wouldn't be one o'them. You won't carry me, for Betsy's sake. I'm not hirin' you to carry folk, you'd be rubbish." She beamed in delight at him and realised just how many of these damn steps were still to go. They were just about half way. "Knickers, that's a long way. Right. Only one answer for it, Arlo Creede. Last one up there's a wussie." And with that, Vega was off and running.

And, of course, she was not above cheating in order to win. It was their way together and although she'd draw the line at flashing bumblebee underwear and making buzz noises in such a public place, she wasn't above dirty tactics, including grabbing him, tripping him, faking an injury (always good for stopping and catching her breath, too). Which meant that, by the time they got to the Glass Quarter and the top of the many, many steps, Vega was a little out of breath and laughing close to hysterically. "Oh, I've got a stitch! You're such a cheat!" Clutching her side, she lifted her gaze to him and grinned. Damnit, but she loved him. "I won. We both know that, yeah?" Standing, she moved over to him and, uncaring of the others around - as always - she kissed him. With a wicked glint in her eyes, she whispered. "I'll get my prize later."

But, tormenting her fella about the undeniable and utterly true fact in her eyes ~ thus proving of course that perception is everything ~ that she had won in a race, once they'd caught their breath, it was time to make their way to the place where they were meeting Vivian. "It's jus' weird, though. I mean, you knew each other when we went on th' boat, an' yet you didn't know that you knew each other." Odd. Just odd. But then, such was life with a hat-wearing Cassion worshipper, Vega thought.

Adjusting her frock, she motioned to where the place was. They'd arranged to meet in a nice Tavern in the Glass Quarter. At least it wasn't a tea house that didn't sell cake, Vega thought. That place was just stupid. "That's the right place?" If he thought it was, she nodded. "Right. Well you're the one who's all acquainted an' stuff." With a grin and a flourish of her hand, Vega gestured. "After you."
Last edited by Vega on Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Traveler
Renown: +438
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:38 pm

"Well then maybe I should just take it upon myself?" Arlo teased Vega as the debate over the stairs carried on. "I could make a lot of money, as you say...Hire myself out to carry woman of all sorts and persuasions up those stairs. Cut out the middle man, or woman as it were," he added, looking pointedly at Vega with a grin. "Keep all the profits for myself."

But if she was tired, for the reasons that he too ought to be exhausted but wasn't, he wasn't apologizing as he skipped aside of her swat. And Arlo figured she didn't want him to either. He hadn't been in it alone after all. Still, the race was on and he took the stairs two at a time, at times, and once or twice, three. If not for Vega's cheating and flat out treachery, he'd have reached the top long before, he was sure, instead of it ending in nearly a dead heat.

But along the way, she'd forced him into a descending bottleneck halfway up the stairs, and he'd had to find his way through a crowd of middle aged crones from the glass quarter out on a shopping trip. He'd caught an elbow on one of their shopping bags, causing any number of unmentionables to spill out into the open. The time it had cost him to help cleanup the mess, soothe over ruffled, outraged feathers and offer his apologies, was plenty of time for Vega to get the jump on him. And at the end, he was probably just as welcome in the Glass Quarter as he'd been when he was a young kid, fresh faced and wide eyed off the farm.

"Treachery, that's what it was," he insisted when they stood atop the stairs and shared a kiss. "Flat out treachery." But it was strange, yes, and a little unsettling, he agreed as they set out to find Vivian. "It's not just her either. Remember the guy on the island that came over on the larger boat?" Arlo reminded her. "The one that lurked along behind us? It was right in character for him, now that I've remembered. He was there too." Cassion's gambit, he meant.

And then there was Tio. As they walked, he reminded her of the night that he'd been first taken, then trapped at the inn. Tio was there, they'd gone through the tunnels together. He hadn't remembered a thing, and so far as he could tell, Tio hadn't either. If either of them had? One of them at least might not have come out alive.

"I think so," he said when they arrived at what he assumed to be the correct location. He'd sent a note ahead, though there was no telling if they'd arrived before or after Vivian. They'd only find out by heading inside, so Arlo opened the door and ushered Vega in before him. If he caught sight of Vivian, all good and well. And if not, they'd find an open table for the three of them, and claim it before anyone else did.
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Renown: +125
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:22 pm

As it turned out, they had arrived before Vivian, but only slightly. "Yes, this is the right place." she said, just behind the pair, having entered right behind them. She had changed somewhat since that day on the island, and even more so from when Cassion's Gambit had taken place. Vivian looked more relaxed, less somber. Hell, she was even smiling slightly. "No hard feelings about Cassion's Game, Arlo?" she said, her tone cheerful. However, the biggest change was her weapon. During Cassion's Gambit, she had carried a slim rapier. Now she carried Shiryu, the longsword she had forged in Gilgarod.

As the trio headed into the tavern, Vivian secured them a table and ordered them each a round of whatever they wanted to drink. For Vivian, that turned out to be a pint of a very rich looking ale that foamed quite nicely over the top. "So, I don't think proper introductions have been made." she said, laughing slightly. "My name is Vivian Shiryu, a Lightning Knight and Ilaren's champion in Cassion's Gambit." she said, grinning cheerfully. Evidently, she looked back on the Gambit with no small degree of fondness.

She had noticed Vega's limp though and gave the redhead a concerned look. "Be careful with that leg in the taverns 'round here. Bar brawls are a sport here and while most folks will respect a badly injured leg, there's a lot of room for mishap." she said, before turning to Arlo. "And how've you been holding up, Arlo? I gathered you had a connection of sorts to the Storyteller, and with what happened at the end..." she paused and shook her head. "Hell, for that matter, do you even know what happened at the end? None of that made sense to me, honestly, and I wouldn't have thought Charmer to be one for trying things like that."
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:22 pm

Vega had laughed when he suggested that he should set up his own woman-carrying business. "Go ahead an' carry as many as you like, Arlo Creede," she said with a grin. "All the smelly ones, an' the high pitched screechy ones. The ones that cling to you an' stink of cheap perfume an' then chase you, throwin' themselves at you an' you'll jus' be tired an' bored. I'll be with my fleet of well-oiled handsome men who've got nothin' to do cos you've stolen the market. You carry on." She beamed. "Carry bein' the operative word." But then, when they'd been racing up the steps, he'd been trying to force her into an oncoming bottleneck and she had worked it so that he got caught by his own tactics.

And so she would swear if asked.

"Look, Arlo, you can't say that," she said, her arms wrapped around him, uncaring of who was around as they shared a kiss at the top of the steps. "It's a really annoyin' habit you've developed." Just judging by the way she kissed him, she didn't seem annoyed, nor did her eyes suggest anything but amusement. "It can't be treachery if there weren't no rules. You can't make rules up after the fact, it's just..." whatever it was, their embrace was more important and she would have lingered there a while longer if it wasn't just going to drive them both into a state. They'd both had quite enough enforced and unwanted frustration to last them a lifetime. "Later," she mumbled, "I'm not tired no more. You?" Vega asked, wickedly, and then stepped towards the tavern.

His hand in hers squeezed, just as they started to enter the tavern. Iris hadn't spotted the woman behind them but, judging by that gesture, Lyova had. Vega turned and grinned, "heya!" She said, but then left Arlo and Vivian to catch up. They made their way to a table and sat down. There, Vivian introduced herself and Vega smiled. "Vega Lei'nox. Professional lollygagger." Vega had no fancy titles, cared about them not at all and needed one less, so she was happy to be a bit self depreciating in her description.

But then, Vivian commented on her leg. Was she still limping? Vega's eyes swirled in shades of red and purple as she considered that she must be. But then, she had just run up a whole cart-load of steps, so she was bound to be a little, she guessed. She hated that, hated feeling weak or vulnerable or judged and she raised an eyebrow. "Careful is for old women an' wussies." Vega replied, with a smile. "An' if someone wants to waste their time respectin' any of my body parts in a fight, more fool them 'cos I won't do the same an' they can regret it, briefly, as I stomp on them like the ill prepared and poorly informed idiot they obviously are. Thanks for the tip, though."

For herself, she ordered a glass of whiskey and drank it, slowly, while the two of them caught up. It must be well weird, she figured, to know each other from a dream but then to find that it was true. Still, how much - or how little - Arlo told Vivian about himself was up to him and Vega was happy to listen to them talk about that time - she enjoyed hearing about it and it was interesting to hear another perspective on it.

Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:56 pm

The fun was in teasing Vega of course. Arlo couldn't begin to imagine a future as a porter, or sorts. One that carried two legged mortals of the feminine persuasion, up the stairs and down again for profit. But he did get a great deal of pleasure out of the give and take with Vega. "As you wish...Only carrying," he'd quipped. Still, she'd cheated. But the kiss they shared at the top of the stairs was consolation enough and more.

"You been trailing us?" Arlo said, jokingly, and smiled when he turned round in the threshold to find Vivian standing there. Yes, that was her. Just as he remembered her from the dream, of sorts, and just as the last time he'd seen her. A strange twist, to recall the sense of familiarity after the fact. But by now Arlo had grown accustomed to the unexpected.

So they were in the right place. It was a good start. Vivian looked different, but then he did too. His expression, way of carrying himself maybe, but even his body had changed. He wasn't taller, so much as his shoulders were broader, his form more defined. As if it had all happened overnight, and it had. He remembered that sword too, and it was a damned fine one. "Of course not," he said when she found them a table, an he pulled out a chair for Vega. He waited for Vivian to have a seat as well before he sat down. "Not towards you at least. Spirit of competition. You look no worse for wear."

"She was a tough competitor," he said, smiling as he turned to Vega, once the introductions were made once again. Ale would suit him fine. "It was probably fairly obvious, I'm one of Cassion's," he added, though surely Vivian and the others had already realized that. "even though it was U'frek who'd tagged me to be there on his behalf." But was Vega still limping? He hadn't seen it, not at all lately. But then his was the perspective of having been there from the start to now.

He'd been alright, he said when Vivian asked. "Strangely, I've seen and spoken to Cassion twice since the gambit. Vega was there for one of 'em," he said, taking Vega's hand beneath the table. "But I didn't remember a thing then. It's all come back in a flood since midnight on the first of Ymiden." Unsettling to say the least. "I've seen Tio as well." If only he'd remembered then. That meeting would have gone very differently than it had.

"I know that Tio wanted to kill Cassion," he said with a deep frown once their drinks were delivered. "It seemed like he both succeeded, but didn't." If that made any sense, and it still made very little even though he'd witnessed it himself. "I don't understand why. But my sense is that he considered himself to have failed, so he might try again. Maybe not just Cassion either?" So was it just the Storyteller? Or was it other Immortals too? "She was one of his eagles," he said, referring to the woman who'd been Cassion.

"As I understand it, there are a limited number of them at any given time. His blessed,that is, exalted. Or maybe she was his champion. He can appear on Idalos wherever one of them is...The essence of himself manifesting itself through them." It sounded like crazy talk, in truth, but he knew what he knew now even if he didn't quite understand all of it. "I've not yet ascended to that level." Exalted, that was, and certainly not champion. "It's caused me to wonder if other Immortals operate in a similar way."

As for Tio himself? "He took me by surprise. Though thinking back, maybe it shouldn't have. Vega and I competed in a race back on Scalvoris, and so did he," he said, glancing at Vega then. "The lengths he went to, including carrying on with the race after a number of deaths occurred, as if they meant nothing at all. Remember?" he said to Vega. She in particular had crossed word with Tio. And still, the man's actions had taken him by surprise. "That sword," he said, looking back to Vivian. "That's a fine work of craftsmanship. There were too many distractions at the time to grasp them all, but it seems to have a significant meaning for you?"
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:20 pm

Vivian waved in response to Vega's greeting and simply shook her head at Arlo's question. When they sat down, she smiled at their introductions. "Somehow, I doubt that "professional lollygagger" is as easy a job as it sounds when you're hanging around with one of the Storyteller's followers. That one seems to like trouble and adventure for the sake of it. And no, I'm admittedly far better off now than I was when Ilaren recruited me for the Gambit." she said, before Vega responded to her limp comment.

The redhead's fire brought a sharp, but genuinely amused laugh from the soldier. "Oh, you'll fit right in, I think. Just keep in mind that, most of the time, the bar brawls 'round here are friendly affairs. Nobody uses real weapons, though chairs and the like get used, 'cause nobody is actually trying to seriously hurt each other." she said, her tone still amused. Then she took a long drink from her ale, enough that it must have emptied half the mug, but when she set back down, it was still completely full. "And I'm glad you found me good competition, since I spent most of the Gambit trying to overcome that I knew nothing about any of the Immortals save for Ilaren herself." she said, grimacing slightly.

When Arlo mentioned that he'd seen Cassion twice since the Gambit, she merely raised an eyebrow in confusion, but when talk turned to the charmer, Tio as he was apparently known, her expression turned to a frown. "Aye, there's nothing to say he won't be coming after the rest of the Immortals. At the very least, I'm considering him a threat until proven otherwise." she said, her tone serious. But when Arlo tried to explain the woman and the eagles, she just looked confused again before looking over at Vega. "See, this is why I like being a soldier. I didn't understand a bloody word of that, but fortunately, I don't have too. If Ilaren needs me to know how Immortals work, I'll be given a briefing, but until then, I can focus myself entirely on things a Mortal can deal with." she said, her tone a mixture between a joke and being serious.

When Arlo mentioned another game they had faced off against Tio in, Vivian grimaced. "He'll do anything to win, to get himself forward. I know the type, and they're never good news." she said, her tone serious. When Arlo asked about the sword though, her expression brightened and she pulled Shiryu out of it's sheath to show it to them. "You remember when the Storyteller sent us all off into separate rooms in Gilgarod? I was sent into this place called the Forge Heart. The smith there, a big multi-armed metal giant, told me to forge a sword worthy of his forge, a forge in which the dreams of failed heroes, kings, villains, and conquerors are broken down and reforged into the tools used by the next generation." she said, looking down at the sword fondly.

"But it's not just steel, or in that places case, bones. It's...myself. I was told to put that which I had never given anyone into the forging. Weakness, fear, and insecurity, bound together by a dream and tempered by my own trials and ordeals. The Forgemaster said it was a fine sword, but unfinished. So he stabbed me through the heart to get the last ingredient, my blood apparently. That's why the blade is that red color." she said, her tone still cheerful, as if getting stabbed through the heart wasn't a big deal. "Then, I was told I could take any one treasure of the forge with me when I left, but that I could only take one thing. There was a box, like the one you and Tio brought out, but..." she said, pausing as she evidently was having trouble finding the words to explain a difficult concept.

"It...the box, it wasn't mine. None of them were, I had no claim to them. This was made by my own hands, and forged of...myself. I could claim this, as my own. And so I did. If that makes any sense." she said, setting Shiryu down for a moment to pull one of her gloves off. "It's...mine. No other weapon feels as right in my hands as this one does. And there's more than that." she said, gripping the blade tightly in one hand and running her and along it, something would normally slice her hand up something fierce. But when she was done, she held her hand up to show it was even lightly scratched. "It won't injure me. I can tell where it is. It's...mine." she said, sheathing the sword.

Then she showed them the hammer shaped scar on her wrist. "When I was leaving, the Forgemaster melted the key into my wrist. Turned my blood into metal, it did, but more than that. It's...I was told by both the Forgemaster and the Storyteller to forge my House. Most Houses, like the Seven in Rynmere, they are based on blood alone, and they forget what made them great, what gave them prominence. However, I can only pass on my Steelblood based on deeds and action, and I think only the Steelblood can properly wield my sword." she said, her tone intent. "House Shiryu will have to be forged the continuing deeds of it's members. For those born to it, their birthright will be naught but the opportunity to prove themselves great, rather than being born with a predetermined right to lead." she said, before she put her glove back on and smiled at Arlo and Vega. "So what of you two. What's your tales?" she asked, her tone genuinely curious.
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:18 pm

Vega put her hand on his as he pulled the chair out for her. It wasn't something that she was used to before she had met Arlo, but he did it as a matter of course. She smiled at him but said nothing; he knew as well as her that she liked the way it made her feel, it was considerate and it made her feel very precious to him. It also, in this particular moment, mitigated somewhat the feeling that she had when Vivian noticed the limp which Vega was convinced was not there.

"Yeah, I remember," Vega said, quietly but obviously thoughtfully. Many of her thoughts, however, were on the implications of her still limping. Did that mean that her recovery wasn't as good as she thought it was? It obviously wasn't since, before Vivian's comments Vega would have said she had no limp at all. Evidently, she just wasn't seeing it and so she had to consider that - because that might mean that she did have long term repercussions from the Scalvoris docks. That was not what she wanted, or what she'd worked for. Still, that worry wasn't for sharing in public or with someone she didn't know, so she turned her thoughts to Tio. "You know, it would've surprised me too. I think he's on a slippery slope, is what it is. Like he made a bad decision once, an' that led to another an' another. It's what he seems like to me. Not a born sprat-head, but an accidental one." She shrugged slightly, "an' the kind of sprat-head who thinks a charmin' smile an' a joke makes it not real, till it's so real he's in too deep an' sees no way out." That was about as deep as Vega ever got, in fairness.

Vivian's words, though, brought a swirling of colour to Vega's eyes. "Yeah, maybe I should'a said professional sidekick," or so it seemed at this moment but then, Vivian knew Arlo so Vega didn't mind particularly. She waved a hand dismissively, though, at Vivians advice. "I don't fight for fun," was all she said about that and let it go there. Vega had no intention of getting into a bar brawl, it really wasn't her style. Vega fought when she had to and it wasn't something that she found amusing or entertaining. Even though she had a bit of a tendency to thumping Arlo, or her cousins, they were the only ones.

The story Vivian told about this place Gilgarod sounded fascinating and Vega listened, entranced. The blade forged of her and for her. Forged in fire and tempered with her own strength? That was a blade worthy of tales, she had no doubt and she glanced at Arlo and grinned. "Sounds like an amazin'' tale, it really does. Worthy of bein' told." The last bit she said to both of them - it was their story, after all.

But what was her tale? Vega grinned slightly and shook her head. "None like you two, that's for sure." With a shrug, she motioned to Arlo. "My story an' his, they're the same one, really. An' he tells it better'n I do." There was no doubting that was true in Vega's eyes, but it was more than that. Arlo knew Vivian, at least he knew her better than Vega did and so she was happy to let him decide how much of them he told, or not. It made sense to her and so she turned her multicoloured eyes to him and smiled slightly. "What's our tale, then?"

Arlo Creede
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:27 pm

"There's a particular art to it," Arlo quipped with something of a grin before draining his mug halfway. Lollygagging, that was. As for him and trouble? Well he and Vega were both guilty of that, but he had a handy, and very good excuse for his part in it. "Being a follower of Cassion," he said with a smile, that was as good as a shrug. "Finding and making trouble could be considered a critical part of worship. The more trouble, the more devout the follower." And there was no question that he was very good at it. And Vega was too.

Neither him or Vega were the type to start brawls or fights, but they were never shy of finishing them. "I grew up in Rharne," he told Vivian then. "I tend to think the brawling goes hand in hand with the drinking, which goes hand in hand with worshiping the Immortal herself." It couldn't help but do that, Arlo guessed, and he'd witnessed more than a few collective scraps when he was a kid. "Not a sidekick," he pointed out when Vega said it. "A partner in all things."

As for Tio, Arlo had to admit that while he'd thought he'd known Tio, so much as he could know anyone that he'd had limited contact with, he'd probably misread the man. "I mean, the last time we met? When I didn't remember Cassion's gambit? He was scared of his own shadow, spent most of his time hiding behind me and was genuinely terrified of dogs. Any dogs, and none of it seemed like an act." Which meant, what, based on what Tio had done. "Which would seem to mean that he's unpredictable and probably, completely unhinged."

Judging by the wording she used, Vega seemed to have a slightly more understanding take than him. Not Arlo though. Arlo just wanted to kill him and had he remembered, back on Scalvoris, what he remembered now, those breaks lost down below ground together might have gone a lot differently than they had. "That's the thing though," he added when Vivian expressed her confusion about the eagles, and what they'd both witnessed back then. 'It's not so different for me. Maybe not for a follower of any Immortal. We only know what we know, when or if we know it." What the Immortals wanted them to know, he guessed.

But yes, he remembered Gilgarod and what had happened there, he added. Her story about where she'd been, what she'd done and how the sword was forged was a fascinating one. If he hadn't witnessed things himself there that shouldn't have been possible, he'd have said that it was too fantastical to be true. Except that he didn't doubt for a trill that it was. "It's an extension of you, that sword." It made perfect sense, he told her. "But I don't think it was ever really about the boxes or actual keys. Symbolism and it was more about the experience, the stories...those things that are Cassion top to bottom."

That her blood was now metal was a strange revolution, but one he didn't question as being true. And though he'd never given much thought to houses, the dynastic kind at least, well, this seemed like a much nobler sort than the traditional kind of house. "She's being modest and she has plenty of stories," Arlo said then, looking at Vega, smiling and squeezing her hand beneath the table."Hers were hers, mine were mine and when we came together, we began crafting our stories together."

"As for Gilgarod," he told Vivian, "I was one of those kings you mentioned, I guess, for so long as I sat on the throne and wanted nothing more than to be off it again. And I guess I left a little of myself behind when I left for the next one that comes along. A portrait in the great hall maybe." But for him and Vega? "Our story has just gotten started I think. And it'll be a long one. It's covered half of Idalos already and may cover it several times over by the time it grows old. A good story needs a beginning, a middle and an end, and we're nowhere close to the middle yet."

It had a good cast of characters though, he said then. Friends, acquaintances, family and a collection of Immortals too. "So you're a lightening knight yeah?" he asked Vivian, and he ordered another round of drinks for the table. "Did you grow up around Rharne?" Arlo had, after all, and had lived on a small farm outside the gates with his parents, for all of his childhood.
Vivian Shiryu
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Templates

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Events

Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:20 pm

As Vega and Arlo talked about Tio, Vivian could only shrug. "Either way, he's dangerous and likely to be desperate. By now, he's probably how close he came to dying when you two last met." she said, grimacing as she spoke. "That's going to put him on edge for a while, most likely." she said, before the talk turned to how Rharnians felt about brawling. "It's not just the drinking I don't think. One of Ilaren's Domains is Brawling, after all, and it's probably had an effect on how people here view it." she said, shrugging slightly as she said it.

At the reactions to the tale of her forging, Vivian smiled slightly. Truth was, she was no storyteller, and she was glad they had enjoyed it. When Arlo mentioned that Cassion hadn't actually been after the boxes, she nodded. "I guessed as much at the end of the gambit. Everyone was calling him "The Storyteller" and whatnot. At the end, i told him all I had for him was a story. He seemed to like it, I suppose." she said, shrugging slightly. When Vega deferred the telling of their tale to Arlo, Vivian got a distinct sense that Vega liked listening to Arlo tell stories. Still, she turned to Arlo and listened as he talked about his own experience in Gilgarod.

When he finished, she shook her head. "Same reaction I would have had. Soldiers and adventurers, folks like us aren't suited to rule." she said, her tone simple. When he talked about their story, she grinned. "Oh, I imagine it does have quite a cast, if you've been all over the place. Though I'd advise staying out of Rynmere while you travel. That place is so screwed I'll be surprised if it's still around five arcs from now." she said, her tone serious.

When he asked where she was from though, she gave a rueful laugh. "Yeah, I'm a Lightning Knight, but I wasn't born here. I'm actually from Rynmere." she said, pausing to take another long drink of her ale. She had declined another drink for herself, after all the one she had wasn't going to empty as long as she was drinking from it. "But if you want a tale, I suppose the one of how I came to be here isn't a terrible one." she said, shrugging again. It wasn't like she was hiding who she had been, after all.

"By birth, I was a Warrick, a member of one of the Seven Houses of Rynmere. I joined their military, wanted to be a hero and defend people." she said, her tone turning bitter. "But the nobles and the king just used the military to enforce their own desires, considering themselves above the law. Some of us took issue. Veljorn Burhan, Zvezdana Venora, me, and a whole bunch of others. We revolted, trying to replace the king with one who actually cared for his people." she said, a sadness in her voice as she remembered those days. "In the end, we failed. Veljorn was murdered by his cousin and the King turned the white fire of the Jacadons, the symbol of Rynmere and it's greatest weapon, on his own people without care for potential collateral damage. Zvezdana was forced to flee, eventually dying alone and afraid in a pile of rubble." she said, before shaking her head again.

"I was caught, tried, and exiled. My family and I came here, but...I feel into depression. I was able to keep myself going for my daughters, but when Ilaren recruited me for Cassion's Gambit, I was a poor excuse for a mother or a soldier. I've always wondered if that's why she recruited me, because she thought I needed what I might find in that game." she said, before smiling and shaking her head with a laugh. "If she did, she was right. Even before the memories came back, I was feeling better, much better. Ever since they returned, it's like I'm able to truly see again, is the best way I can explain it." she said, before she took another drink of her ale.

"So what about you two? I bet you've done some exciting things. Besides that mess on Vyrelle, I suppose." she said, before laughing slightly. "Come to think of it, that cowardly little ferret was in the Gambit too, wasn't he? Wasn't any good at working with people then, either." she said, before she gave Vega and Arlo a sly look. "Actually, out of curiosity, does your foots still set itself to thumping if she scratches you behind the ear?" she asked, her tone slightly teasing.
Vega
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:24 pm

"I'm quite content bein' a sidekick thanks," she was teasing him in response to his assurance that she was a partner in all things. She knew that, absolutely, and so she tormented him. "Less responsibility, less comeback when it all goes wrong. When things go good, it's us. When it all goes the way it usually does, then that's cos it's your fault. See?" Her grin was wicked and she maintained her stance, mostly out of stubbornness it had to be said. Her hand returned the squeeze, though.

On Tio, she shrugged. "I mean, I don't really know him. But whatever the reason he's moved from a bit of a flopwinkie to a total one. S'good enough for me." She sipped her whiskey and frowned slightly. "You got a magic cup there, or somethin'? Or do you jus' not so much drink as swish beer around an' pretend?" That, of course, was to Vivian. Vega listened to Vivian's tale and she frowned slightly. "Apparently, so the rumour I 'eard says, they're burnin' folks in Rynmere for bein' mages?" She shook her head. She hadn't believed it, in truth, surely no one would do that, but from what Vivian was saying, maybe they would. Sometimes, people horrified Vega. But, she thought, with a determined expression, they just needed help. Sometimes that help came only on the back end of a significant fight, but her mind was wandering and she pulled herself back.

When Arlo said that they'd just got started and their story would be a long one, Vega's eyes flooded in green and gold and she bumped her shoulder against him. "Really?" she teased, "ergh, I didn't realise. Ha!" The last was the start of a guffaw at Vivian's question about his response when she scratched behind his ear. Vega laughed much like she did everything else, completely and she grinned. "My papa raised me not to scratch behind th'ear an' tell, I'm afraid," she chuckled to herself and left it at that.

They were nowhere close to the middle of their tale, it was true and Vega smiled as she accepted a second drink. This one, though, an ale. "Yeah, we've seen some wild an' wicked things,it's true," Vega glanced at Arlo and then considered for a few trill. "We met in Desnind," she said with a grin at him. "I'm half Sev'ryn, an' I wanted to find out about my mother's family. This little girl went missin' in Cylus in the woods. We were part of the party who volunteered to go after her." They'd had a guide, Vega said - a native Sev'ryn who was the most useless person she'd ever met. And then, she said, there was their other companion. "Asari, 'er name was. She 'ad these beautiful long nails an' perfect make up. Beautiful hair, too. High heeled shoes, the works." Vega shook her head and carried on.

They'd tracked the little for three trials, she said and they were all cold and miserable and hungry. Then, they found a cave and there were signs that she'd gone in there, so in the went. Turned out the little girl was fast asleep in the embrace of.. "well, I don't know what it was called. Bloody big, lots o'teeth an' scary. So, I went an' tried to get the girl out of there, while the others kept their ranged weapons on it. I mean, it's eye were the size of my head." She'd just got to the little girl in the dark and terrified, she explained, when the child in question spoke, waking up the creature. "I was already holdin' her an' I could see by the look on his face, so I ran. High heels, she'd had two jobs. Hold the lantern an' hold my coat. Stupid cow fell over," Vega sighed, shaking her head. "I liked that coat, too. But it went pitch black," and she'd just run, she said. She knew she had to leave Arlo and Useless behind, had to get the little girl out but if she could have battered Asari into the Ashan of arc 820, she would have. But they got out, her and the girl, and she moved to the side of the cave entrance and prayed.

"I didn't know the others, but Arlo was my friend an' I'd not had one of them before," in truth, that might be something to do with her personality, Vega thought but then carried on. Arlo had run out behind her and she'd been relieved beyond the telling of it. Then, out came Asari and Useless and of all things, Vega said and she looked at Arlo almost as though checking that she wasn't remembering it wrong. "Asari turned round an' said somethin' like 'help a girl out, Vega, what should I do now' an' useless knelt down an' started prayin'. Right in front of the exit of the cave which, of course, the bloody 'uge beast exited out of a few trill later." When it exited, of course, it had charged straight in to the two of them. But no one had died no matter how much Vega had thought they deserved to, frankly, for stupid. "I guess that were our first adventure, you reckon?" Vega asked, looking at him with a grin. It certainly hadn't been their last.

"Other'n that time you begged me to go to dancin' class with you." Vega added, with a grin. It was a blatant lie, but she didn't care. She delivered it as though she believed it and that might just work.

Return to “Rharne”