• Closed • Distress. [Rynata]

Almund is a thriving township with a dark side. With houses made from the wooden bodies of decommissioned ships, there are many opportunities here, coupled with many dangers.

Moderators: Pegasus, Vorpal, Ghoul

Taï
Approved Character
Race: Human
Renown: 0

Distress. [Rynata]

Sat May 26, 2018 8:44 am

2nd of Ashan - 718th Arc
"Come on; Gibs, you kidding me!?"
"I promised. Besides, I'm sure he can handle it.

Taï watched the argueing men bemused, talking as if he wasn't even around to hear. Could they be more disrespectful?! He held his tongue considering his old man was a good friend of them. He remembered he kept comparing Taï to them even, back in the day, al though he couldn't see many similarities though. Not to Gibney for sure, and Dana...Well Taï refused to even acknowledge someone who just underhandedly insulted him.

Holding his cup'a'joe firmly, he was staring the men down in a bored get-on-with-it way, as they continued to verbally go at eachother's throat like squabbling children boasting about their fathers' heroic feats outstaging the other's. Finally it seems Gibney veto'd his way with an end-all facial expression while raising his voice.

You knew him too!! He wasn't the type to talk someone up just for being his...son. I'm sure Taï has what it takes to do this! "

"Might as well find out by sharing what it is I can handle, na? Not like I'm going to take up a job I can't complete."

Gibney finally turned his attention to Taï and sat down opposite of him. Dana followed suit. "Fair enough. Look, we got a job to chart an area on Faldrass. Authorities have decided to fence certain caves and locations off because of a recent attack on a high profile tourist. Apparently the fool went too deep into the island and spilled his guts, literally, as he got mauled. Now we want you to go there, chart the main fauna of the spa's surrounding areas and cave entrances. Up for it?"

Taï pondered things over, there were a few red flags popping up in his mind repeatedly. One flag stood over the others by a long shot. But he could use the money..And the adventure..And the experience..He hasn't charted anything for almost an entire arc. Before he finished mulling it over, he already knew he was going to take the offer, as it usually goes, he would try and figure things out on the fly to overcome the hurdles.

"Consider it done. What's the deadline, and coin?"

"No deadline. The coin is dependent on your map, your accuracy..and your survival!" Gibney added casually, Taï realized he was trying to warn him not to take this too lightly. After all, whatever he has to chart, has mauled someone already. "Fair enough. As you trusted me with this, I will trust you with the correct compensation."

By now the steaming cup of coffee had cooled off enough to be downed fast and Taï bid his farewell to Gibney, not Dana, and went on his way. At first he was chipper and merry to go on an adventure and even get to craft a map again! But then that dreaded flag appeared back before his eyes.

'There were no roads to Faldrass. Only cold, dark water.'

He needed help, that much was obvious. First of all, he needed his tools, he needed a ship, he needed someone to steer the ship and maybe someone to outrun when being chased by a goddamned monster! All shennanigans aside, this expedition was actually pretty damn dangerous, as he thought so, he felt his lips turn into a light boyish smile. Oh how he craved this. After hurrying to his place, he wrote down a few flyers with a request for a competent ferry who can accompany him to and from Faldrass for a fee. At first he wanted to pen down his name, but given his reputation and history, he doubted many of the superstitious sailors would want to sail with him. So he just penned down his initials and where to find his home.

After spreading the flyers across Almund, he went back home to prepare.
word count: 685
Rynata
Approved Character
Race: Biqaj
Profession: Merchant
Renown: +210
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread
Medal count: 3

Contribution

Distress. [Rynata]

Sat May 26, 2018 10:02 am

Rynata sat at the counter of O'Rourke's, a knowing smile curling about her lips as she watched Raeburn the bartender strut and preen. Taking full advantage of the fact that his co-worker Ripi was on break, his ego and showiness were worse than ever. It was his good fortune that Rynata happened to find this amusing and endearing rather than insufferable. Watching the man's antics was a good break from the mundane and training for the wryer side of her wit. So, while it might not have the kind Raeburn had imagined, the man had her attention. Still, since she doubted he could see the difference, her seat at the bar was really an unintentional win-win.

"You're early today, Ryn. What? Couldn't wait to see me?" he said, leaning dramatically over the counter and choosing to use an informal version of her name.

"Not at all, Rae. I see you far too often as it is," Rynata said, killing the hint of a teasing grin by taking a sip from her mug. "It's just an unstable season for jobs is all. I ended up in port early." It was indeed a sketchy time for sailors. With the weather still unpredictable and turning bad at a moment's notice, there was less chance to work. Everyone seemed to know that and were discouraged from making demands, hoping for faster and less expensive hires later in the season.

Surprisingly, Raeburn didn't seem to think so. With a characteristic flourish, he produced a folded piece of paper and presented it to Rynata. It was painstakingly made to look like a flower and she didn't know whether to be genuinely impressed or exasperated at the lengths the bartender seemed to go. Regardless, the one thing that was true was that he had too much time on his hands. O'Rourke or Ripi needed to crack their whips.

"Well, I have just what you need," the man said, holding out the paper to Rynata. "This just came in a bit earlier."

Carefully unfolding what turned out to be a flyer of sorts, Rynata softly read out part of what was written.

"A request for a trip to Faldrass and back." She looked off to the side, in thought. "Faldrass should be warmer so the ice won't be much of a problem now..." she trailed off. Jumping up suddenly, she declared, "I'll go see if they still need help." Rynata energetically pushed open the tavern doors and set off in an brisk stride, the cold air sweeping the loose strands of hair out of her face.

"I'll just put it on your tab, I guess!" She heard Raeburn call after her, just a tad annoyed at being ignored. She'd make sure to thank him later if the job went well.

Following the address inked onto the notice in her hand, Rynata made her way to the center of Almund. Lots of residences were crowded together and it was hard to tell, but she was fairly sure she had found the right one. Clearing her throat, she knocked at the door and announced herself.

"Hello? I heard you needed a ship to Faldrass?"
word count: 555
Taï
Approved Character

Distress. [Rynata]

Mon May 28, 2018 8:58 am

2nd of Ashan - 718th Arc
Taï wondered if his, honestly quite shoddy, flyers would get some results. The deed was done by now though, having been scattered around Almund across several locations, there was no point in What If-thinking. As he rummaged around his place, he gathered necessary items and belongings from the weirdest locations you could imagine. Seriously now, what was his Scribe's Kit doing underneath a potted plant? And what was that plant doing beneath his bed?!

Finally having finished scavenging around his own home for the journey at hand. He came across a folded flag, the flag. The thought of this being a bad omen crossed his mind, but then Viktor's face flashed before his eyes, followed by fragmented memories of all that happened in his life after that dreadful day. With a bittersweet smile, he stashed the flag again, and decided that the flag was indeed an omen, but not a bad one. While it could easily be considered one that signified a disastrous event in his life, he simply chose his own meaning for it. A beginning rather than an end, a beginning that he was more than grateful for.

Ready to set sail, or at least as ready as he could get for that...Which wasn't all that much, already feeling ashamed of how he'll surely behave at sea, he laid down on his bed and pictured himself holding onto the mast for dear life as the ship rocked against the waves. This was going to be SO much fun. Yeah, no. But he'll get to Faldrass, even if it costed him wet pants getting there...take that as you will.

Just when he was drifting away, snuggling his face into his pillow, loud knocking on the door brusquely woke him up. Nearly whiplashing his neck as he jerked his face up and looked hazily around, mrrumph'ing about as he lifted himself up and cleaned the sleep out of his eyes with the back of his hand before opening the door. The person standing there caused him to blink rapidly in disbelief.

What an ogre.

The large bearded man stared at Taï is almost as much disbelief as Taï looked at him. "Hello?" It almost sounded like Taï was trying to verify that this man could speak human language. The man didn't seem to notice the hesitant tone of voice. "Ello, am Coors, ya lookin' for a cap'n to take you to Faldrass yes?!"

"Oh, yeah!! I am! Come on in. I am Taï by the way."

The man took Taï up on the offer and took a seat by the table before staring down the bottle of malt whiskey. It was almost comical, if it wasn't his goddamned own bottle that this Coors-guy was probably going to down like it was a shotglass. But he was cornered, the man didn't even seemed to breathe anymore, mezmerized by the whiskey. Taï sighed.

"Care for a glass, Coors?" He already started to pour one before the bearded keg answered.

"Lets talk business, shall.."

Another knocking on his door. He heard a voice say something from the other end but couldn't make out what it was. "One sec." Taï opened the door, and again found himself blinking rapidly in disbelief. But the person standing there was no ogre, that much was sure.

"Faldrass? Oh! Yes, I am! Come on in, I'm Taï Schoy."

As he made way to let the woman in, he suddenly heard a loud slam behind him. Apparently the ogre was either angry, or agressively drunk already. Sigh. "Taï Schoy?! I'd rather take death itself on me' ship! Let me through and to hell with ya, ya damned sea demon."

Taï cleared his throat and clenched his fist so hard his hand started to shake lightly. Holding his composure, he moved aside, instinctively standing between the agitated man and the woman that just arrived. The man glared at Taï, staring right back at the man until he was both feet out of his home. He didn't want to waste any more of his time on this human waste of malt whiskey, but if he had to, he'd kick him out. Nobody made a mess here, not in Viktor's home. Fortunately he made haste, cursing under his alcohol breath, looking over his shoulder until he was at a safe distance.

"So...Should I leave the door open or?"

Taï waited for the woman, already pretty certain of the answer she'll give, as he tried to hide his true sentiment with a light smile.
word count: 792
Rynata
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Distress. [Rynata]

Tue May 29, 2018 5:32 am

The door was opened by a good-natured looking man with dark hair and hazel eyes. Was he a sailor? No. Though his skin was bronzed, it wasn’t in the pattern or manner one got from the sun reflecting off the sea. He looked a little surprised for someone who should have been expecting callers but the man introduced himself readily enough. Taï Schoy. The initials on the corner of the flyer. Rynata flashed a friendly smile and made to introduce herself.

“I’m-“

There was a loud crash and Rynata broke off mid-sentence, eyes snapping to the source of the commotion in the house. To put it kindly, a beast of a man was throwing a drunken fit, spewing something about sea demons. Peeking out from behind Taï, she watched the drunk back away, an angry and frightened look in his eyes. For a brief moment she thought that the two men were some kind of unfortunate acquaintances, but as the large man retreated into the distance, she realized that her competitor had just shown himself the door. While that scene hadn’t been conventional negotiations, she would take the unexpected advantages she got.

Turning to her client, Rynata’s eyes widened with concern as she saw him trying hard not to look utterly dejected. Perhaps he thought she would leave after that outburst. The drunk had been upset about something or other as soon as he heard his client’s name. The sorry man must have known something that made him vehemently deny Taï passage. Still, Rynata knew that the word of a drunk was hardly reliable and muddled at best. Their words should probably be taken with a barrel of salt.

With a faint smile, she motioned towards the door. “I suggest you lock it, if we’re to be sailing off to Faldrass. To keep out the thieves and scoundrels while you’re away, yes?” Glancing over at Taï, her eyes crinkled teasingly. “If you don’t mind me asking, what was he on about? You haven’t done anything, have you? What, ban alcohol aboard all ships?”

Realizing she had yet to introduce herself, she said, “Oh, and I’m Rynata. Captain of the Gilded Siren at your service.” Eyes falling onto the assembled necessities that Tai must have gathered, she asked, “Why do you need a round trip to Faldrass? Is it business?”

"Dicam"
word count: 409
Taï
Approved Character

Distress. [Rynata]

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:19 am

2nd of Ashan - 718th Arc
Her light, teasing motioning towards the door and reassuring words made Taï ease up almost instantly from the raging drunk's 'hissyfit'. "Aye, wouldn't want m' many treasures looted while we're gone now ey...Like...Well, I'm sure there's Something worth stealing...Pfth!" Taï smirked at his own joke as he closed the door and turned around, offering a seat at the table to Rynata. "I'd offer you something to drink but my previous visitor kindly downed it all apparently, in the blink of an eye even."

"Anyway, to explain the dramatic departure of my good ol' buddy WhatsHisNameAgain..I haven't done anything, literally. But rumors and hearsay are long lasting blights upon anyone's reputation...I was the sole survivor of a shipwreck, as a toddler, which apparently makes me a demon of the deep blue, hah. That is literally all that happened and why that guy, and many others probably, refuse to take me aboard their ship."

Taï explained the situation, if you can call it that, while making some tea to at least offer the kind captain of the Gilded Siren something. Putting down 2 mugs of mint tea with light coiling steam hovering over them, he motioned towards the door the same way she did but with opposite meaning. "I'm guessing you're not like them, but just to make sure, y'know?" He smiled though, partly because he didn't want to make her feel guilty if she had doubts, and partly because he had a feeling this sassy yet kind captain wasn't like the others.

"Oh, and one other thing, y'know...Something that will make this trip all the merrier, especially for me, I'm freaking terrified of the ocean. I'm bound to be the best passenger you'll ever take on the Gilded Siren though, I swear, just..Don't mind the masthugging and uncontrollable sobbing and pleading for the Lords Above. Apart from that, best passenger EVER!"
word count: 354
Rynata
Approved Character
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes
Templates
Point Bank Thread

Contribution

Distress. [Rynata]

Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:26 am

With her client in a more chipper mood, Rynata obliged and took a seat at the table to discuss business. It was sadly impressive that the table's previous occupant had managed to drain the entire bottle of whiskey, but it didn't concern her much. She preferred to be sober when there was a job to be done. Not all sailors were living from one bottle to the next, thank you very much. Accepting the warm tea that Taï offered her, Rynata cradled the cup in her hands, letting the fresh aroma waft over her. She shook her head a little sadly at the story she was told.

"It must have been frightening, especially for a child," she said somberly. Rynata couldn't imagine how it would be if the same had happened to her in her youth. She supposed she had her parents, wary and eyes forever on the horizon, to thank for that. She didn't dare ask about Taï's parents, though. Toddlers rarely traveled alone, and he had said, 'sole survivor'. "And people still believe this rumor," Rynata said disappointingly. "That is some misplaced dedication, right there." Taking a sip of her drink, she raised her head and looked a little brighter. "I'll take my chances," she smiled. "Maybe my ship and I can clear your name, once and for all. Besides, I only like to believe in rumors when they're convenient. Taking too much stock in all those ghost stories is enough to make anyone a nervous wreck."

That didn't seem to be all of her client's woes though, as he went on to explain another difficulty. Rynata blinked for a moment, but quickly understood. Of course, a traumatic event involving the ocean probably meant he still wasn't fond of it to this day. Still, while she was also sometimes frightened by the powerful storms and dark waters, she knew she could never be kept away from the sea forever. It was in her blood. She almost pitied Taï's fear, and vaguely wondered if there was anything she could do to chase it away.

"Well, for your excellent passengership, the rate I offer is 5 silver nels," Rynata said with the hint of a business savvy smile. "It shouldn't take more than a day, but I'll see that you have provisions should it come to it. And you can stay below deck, if you like," she offered, not entirely sure how his phobia was triggered but hoping that not seeing the water might help. "But if you're so afraid of the ocean, why make the trip?" she added, still confused as to Taï's objective in Faldrass. If at all possible, Rynata wanted her passengers to enjoy the ride. Should Taï really start sobbing and pleading, people would think she was kidnapping the poor man. The last thing she needed on the dawn of Ashan was to be tackled by some well meaning citizen. Hopefully she didn't look menacing enough for anyone to make that association.

Pondering evasive maneuvers, Rynata downed her tea and slipped out of her chair. "If you're ready, I'll lead you to the ship. It's not far." If he followed her, then they would make their way to Port Diablo.
word count: 560
Oracle
Storyteller - Staff
Storyteller - Staff
Race: Prophet
Profession: Fortune Teller
Renown: +500
Plot Notes
Office
Templates
Medal count: 8

Featured

Contribution

Staff

Re: Distress. [Rynata]

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:03 pm

It's always a shame to see an unfinished thread but I really enjoyed reading it nonetheless. Rynata is always such a charming girl and she fits in so well with the locals of Scalvoris. You do an excellent job of making her personality come through, and your attention to detail in regard to her surroundings is excellent. Well done, and enjoy your rewards.

~Tai: If you return and wish to receive a grade for this thread, please pm me.
Rynata

15 xp
These may NOT be used for domain magic.

Renown

+5 : for taking up the offer of a "cursed" passenger

Rewards and Consequences

N/A

Injuries

N/A

Knowledges

Intelligence: Obtaining tips from acquaintences
Business Management: Seizing an opportunity
Socialization: Rebuffing unwanted advances
Socialization: Making your compassion known
Detection: Perceiving a painful past
Negotiation: Putting forward a fair and caring deal
word count: 165
"It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves."
Office |Rharne| Rharne Lore | Rharne Development | Rharne Linkmap | Rharne OOC

If you like to request moderation please see the request form in my office, or simply contact me via pm.

Return to “Almund”