Rest for the Wary (Doran)

The capital city of the of Rynmere, here is seated the only King in Idalos.

Moderators: Basilisk, Plague, Pegasus

Val Valencia
Approved Character
Race: Human
Profession: Dancer
Renown: +35
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes

Fri May 25, 2018 5:11 am

*Common*
For some reasons her companions words wiped the sudden fight out of her, not for lack of partner, she’d been on her own far too long for that. It was his seeming lack of interest. Is this how the people were? He was not wrong to want to avoid the guards and their need for a villain where there was none but hiding didn’t accomplish anything either but still—

“I—I can’t right now.” The words were whispered, Val sinking slowly to the table, head thumping again, “I feel pathetic, this sucks. My head hurts, I don’t even know how to help and why arrest a kid anyway? Maybe tomorrow, I can talk tomorrow. Probably give me a bigger headache if you knock me out or I’d let you.” Val felt every bit the coward she sounded like but she didn’t even have the energy to do more than stand. Utterly disgusted with herself she sat in a wallow of pity. Grit her teeth and finally stopped smacking her head. “Tomorrow I’ll tell them what I saw. I’ll tell them I can hunt. I’ll do something.”

She thought of the boy and wondered if he was motivated purely by the childish desire for chaos or if he too was suffering for lack of food in an poor city but the thought made her frown. The longer she sat and spoke with Doran the more the dancers mind cleared, becoming more focused, “Doran…do the people high up eat meat? Do we have substitutes here, soup kitchens? Anything to help? Or are they just ignoring it? Nobody here can do anything on their own?”

The words were not necessarily angry, just curious, searching again for answers to assuage her self appointed guilt. Val couldn’t help but think her comments about rat has been part of what sparked such anger in the people but maybe anger was the wrong word. Looking up at the other occupants she noted they all looked wary. Weather worn and a little thin. Angry or fearful? This was the time to stock up, make sure things were ready for the unbearable heat and winter to come.

She sighed, hearing the rain beat down on her, crushing any good mood she tried to inspire. With deliberate intent she folded her towel under her head and gazed sleepily at Doran, the tiredness growing again make her feel like an out of control ship, being thrashed around by the waves of her own emotions. “Do you think they’d care if I slept here till the rain let up? Would you stay? Just till I fall asleep?”
Doran Cooney
Approved Character
Profession: Performer
Renown: +40
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes

Contribution

RP Medals

Sat May 26, 2018 2:38 pm

Doran chuckled as the woman seemed to lose what little fire she'd managed, her head sounding thick against the wooden table once more. "It might hurt less if you stopping banging it about like that." He offered, his amusement clear and seemingly unbothered by Val's state of mind. "There are times for action and times for respite - it is not pathetic to choose when to do which." He shrugged, though his companion certainly did not benefit from the gesture with her face pressed into the wood of the table as it was. "Some might even argue it wisdom."

Whatever Val wished to do, Doran wished her well. The riot would have started with or without them, of that he was certain, thus he felt absolutely no responsibility for what had unfolded. There was a sickness of sorts that hung about the streets of the city - something that had no herbal remedy nor god given cure. It had crept into the people, a molding fungus that had been seething just below the surface of the people's skin. That it had burst forth in such a way had been surprising but not unexpected. It had been a matter of when, not if, and though he had garnered several new bruises and gained an odd acquaintance, Doran was glad he'd been there to see it. Life was full of such strange turns of events; he was loathe to miss them, if possible.

"'High up'? You refer to the noble houses?" Several questions in succession, Doran chose to answer them in order, voice light and thoughtful. "I... believe so? All I hear are stories, mostly, as I'm hardly a noble myself, but from what I've heard they eat all manner of expensive and exquisite things, meat among them." He'd even heard of one of the Venoran lords feasting upon some beast known as an "elephant", whatever that was.

"I'm... not entirely sure what you mean by 'substitutes', but... yes, I believe there are people who make it a point of feeding the poor and needy. Though... I'm uncertain as to whether or not they provide soup? Gruel maybe?" Lowtown was rife with the unfortunate souls of those who had little means to get by, and though many in the city had been infected with the paranoia and fear that seemed to have swept through the city after the events of seasons past, there were still those who sought to share the light of their own kindness with others. "I'm afraid I don't know any specifics on the matter, though I imagine if you ask around it shouldn't be too difficult to find someone who knows a bit more."

His smile took on a sadder sheen as he continued, shaking his head and leaning slightly more forward in his chair. "I don't believe it's a matter of can and can't so much as... a lack of desire; comfort in familiarity, so to speak." Here, he sighed, though his voice growing a bit distant as his eyes gazed into the soft orange hue of the fire's light in the distant hearth. "Camaraderie is a curious thing. Most seem content to help those they deem dear while, as you said, ignoring the masses. There are many people within the city who may believe and behave differently, but for the most part, Ryn seem to help whomever is close, not necessarily those who need it most." He was no different; had Val not found herself inadvertently his direct responsibility, he would have had no qualms with leaving her behind as he'd made his own escape. There was no hint of guilt or regret in his words, merely a gentle contemplation accented with the slight lilt of self-acknowledgement.

"Ah, right. You must be quite worn." Doran shook his head in silent reprimand of himself as he smiled softly down at the weary expression of his companion. "If you mean to doze of in the common room, I'd suggest against it. Let's rent you a room at the very least." His turn to rise to his feet, he did so without the vigor Val had applied previously, though his motions were deliberate and unwavering as he waved the innkeeper over with a warm smile and nod of his head.

"Need something?"

"Yes, I believe our minds have changed, and my companion would like a room to wait out the rain, if possible." Doran drew out the appropriate payment and received a key in turn before the innkeeper moved to attend to another group of weary looking individuals who stumbled in through the door, rain still steadily falling outside. Extending the key towards Val with an encouraging grin, Doran offered his other to help her to her feet. "Better to rest your eyes behind a locked door."
Val Valencia
Approved Character
Profession: Dancer
Renown: +35
Character Sheet
Prophets' Notes
Plot Notes

Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:50 pm

*Common*

Val snorted into the table and shook her head in denial, it would hurt either way but it banned the thoughts from her head for a brief moment. It was only the headache she knew was coming that finally stopped her, laying her head to side to listen and watch Doran better. When he finished she let the silence fall, frown contorting her features again, “If thats what they call them here, people of power have different names but they all do the same stuff.” Val said with a little shrug, but her tone was sharp and reprimanding, both for herself and the ‘nobles’,“If all they do is gossip they don’t deserve their wealth and they’re useless! And that’s stupid, you can’t get things for nothing, if you don’t put anything into the world its just gonna give you shit back. Ignoring things doesn’t make them better, it just makes them fester. And the fester makes an infection you’ll die from.”

The words were more bitter than she realized, the clearest thought she’d had in more than half a break, and directed at herself with an out of character sting of self deprecation in the inflection before she smiled ruefully at Doran, “But words are easier than action I guess, and you can’t care for people you don’t know. That doesn’t mean you should ignore them though, the world isn’t just for us and people we like, if it was that easy we wouldn’t hate people.”

Her little speech ending abruptly when she realized they could now go to a bed. She took the offered help, enjoying the comfort of another hand with a tired smile. It was quieter the closer they got the room, the thought of sleep making her whole body sag and when the door opened just the sight of the bed was enough to make her release her companions.

“Oh fates, yes.” Val gasped out, flopping to the bed face first then patting beside her, “Rest, you deserve if after putting up with me. Plus its warmer and I hate sleeping alone.”

Whether he stayed or not the dancer fell asleep quickly, curling herself haphazardly under the blankets, damp clothes and all.
Zipper
Approved Character
Profession: Professional Scowler
Renown: 0
Character Sheet
Templates
Letters

Featured

Contribution

Milestones

RP Medals

Miscellaneous

Events

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:03 am

Overview

So much of Rynmere is about the high and the mighty, so it's refreshing to see the struggle of the common working-class folk and their struggles from down below. No noble-based thread in Rynmere would ever concern themselves with the shortage of meat, nor would they be the victim of rations. it's refreshing.

Enjoy your rewards.
@Cooney

XP: 15/15

Loot/Injuries/Overstepping

N/A

Knowledge

Strength: Supporting the Weight of Another Person With One’s Full Body
Detection: Reading Signs in the Rain
Detection: Realising When Someone Is Overly Weary
@Val

XP: 15/15

Loot/Injuries/Overstepping